2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is my iron hosel cracked??

nikeV10blade

Just as the title states. I had a set of irons bent about a week ago and today I was fooling around adding lead tape to the shafts to add weight and I look down at my 6 iron and see a line by the bend point. I seen little marks before from bending no big deal, but this looked different.

Not sure if it a hosel crack or chipping from the finish. I ordered a 6 iron tonight to replace just to be safe, but I'm a little ticked off. Is there anything I can do with this one so I have matching serial numbers? Or just build a new 6 and call it a day.

Taylormade M1 440 Tour Issue 9.5 Matrix Ozik Black Tie 7m3 x-flex 44.50
Taylormade Jetspeed Tour Issue 3HL 17 Aldila Ripd NV 85 Tour X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron Kuro Kage Tour Proto 100x
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 iron bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 46F and 50F bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 54S and 58L bent 2.5 up and 1 degree weak Project X 7.0 8 iron shaft tipped 3/8th
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 33in

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't tell from the picture, turn off the automatic water mark for the WRX to post better picture.

Last one looked like a hairline crack but not sure, nomally the crack would not happen in the beefy part of the head, usually be at or above the connecting point for the hosel to the head.

hope you did not tried to bend the hosel while shaft was removed ? It was not to bend it up-right was it ?

It was to bend it 2 degrees up from standard

Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 iron bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 46F and 50F bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 54S and 58L bent 2.5 up and 1 degree weak Project X 7.0 8 iron shaft tipped 3/8th

Difficult to tell if it's a crack or just a surface mark left from the bending process (which would be perfectly normal).

What adjustment was made to it?

Have you hit it since it's been bent? Did it feel any different?

I would love for it to be a bend mark, but I don't think it is. I can feel the little groove in between the crack. Just don't know how deep it is.

Take it to someone that welds custom ironwork. Or Google metal artists in your area. They'll be able to lay a bead and them grind and blend it.

Come on now. Think about this suggestion. Who’s going to chrome plate the entire head again and refinish it after you do this repair work?

The custom work would likely be as much as buying a brand new replacement pre bent to his specs from the factory.

If that crack is all the way through and not just the chrome, it’s toast. USUALLY it’s just the chrome plating cracking, but not always.

I’d see if Titleist would help out. If the shop only bent them 2 degrees the club should certainly be able to handle that. I’ve bent hundreds of clubs over 20 years and never had actual hosel cracking on 2 degrees......wait....I take that back. I actually once had a cast Mizuno snap off on me entirely only trying to do 2 degrees. Sometimes you just get a bad head. Maybe a void in it.

Take it to someone that welds custom ironwork. Or Google metal artists in your area. They'll be able to lay a bead and them grind and blend it.

Come on now. Think about this suggestion. Who’s going to chrome plate the entire head again and refinish it after you do this repair work?

The custom work would likely be as much as buying a brand new replacement pre bent to his specs from the factory.

If that crack is all the way through and not just the chrome, it’s toast. USUALLY it’s just the chrome plating cracking, but not always.

I’d see if Titleist would help out. If the shop only bent them 2 degrees the club should certainly be able to handle that. I’ve bent hundreds of clubs over 20 years and never had actual hosel cracking on 2 degrees......wait....I take that back. I actually once had a cast Mizuno snap off on me entirely only trying to do 2 degrees. Sometimes you just get a bad head. Maybe a void in it.

This is the first head that I have ever had a crack in it with all the bending that I've needed on different clubs over the years. This is totally new to me. Being that it's a forged head, figured bending 2 degrees is something that's done everyday with these heads. I may go hit some tonight just to see if is feel any different.

What would the feel be when I hit it? Will the club just sound dead?

This is the first head that I have ever had a crack in it with all the bending that I've needed on different clubs over the years. This is totally new to me. Being that it's a forged head, figured bending 2 degrees is something that's done everyday with these heads. I may go hit some tonight just to see if is feel any different.

Unless the crack is deep I don’t imagine you’ll notice anything. Contact Titleist today. Explain and send pics. They may help you.

Of course, if you bought them used you never know what was done to them previously. What if they Had multiple big bends before you owned them? Could weaken them. Never know.

Do believe that only the 8 and down are forged bodies. 7 and up are cast bodies (hosel and frame). Betting that the hosel is cracked. It happens.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Unfortunately, unless the golf club had been worked on by a certified golf club shop, OEM normally will not replace the club head.

Adams did replace a snapped hosel without questioning, had not dealt with Titleist with that kind of issue so, might worth a try.

From your second batch of photos, it looked like a crack in the chrome finishing, yes you could feel the line with your finger nails because the Chrome plating is quite thick, like a piece of paper thick. I had a cracked hosel on a sand wedge all the way through at the top of the hosel ring and had it for more than 20 years now, it's not put into play every round but often.

Like I said, that is not the usual place to have damage from bending the hosel, check with Titleist website to see if there is a welding spot on or around the line of question, if not, play away without worry but possible rusting in the future. I kept mine clean and dry and no rust so far.

Do believe that only the 8 and down are forged bodies. 7 and up are cast bodies (hosel and frame). Betting that the hosel is cracked. It happens.

I believe the whole body is forged, besides the tungsten weight inserts on the irons 3-7.

Unless the crack is deep I don’t imagine you’ll notice anything. Contact Titleist today. Explain and send pics. They may help you.

Of course, if you bought them used you never know what was done to them previously. What if they Had multiple big bends before you owned them? Could weaken them. Never know.

Called Titleist and they can't do much since they are a previous model and out of warranty. I would have been golden if they were 718s. He did say there are plated, and that it would just rust over time, but hard to tell just by looking at pictures and not knowing how deep the crack is. Looks like I'm just gonna need some range time to figure this out. Have a new/used 6 iron coming just in case the hosel is compromised.

He asked how to fix it. I gave him a solution.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Hopefully it's just the chrome that's cracked. If so the club will play normally. If the hosel is truly cracked the club may still live for a good while but pay attention to any change in tone when struck - a dull tone.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I’ve seen that before. It’s the chrome plating. I’m guessing Titleist will say he warranty is void because they didn’t bend it

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

That happened to a set of Maxfli Revolution blacks I had years ago. Purely cosmetic until is starts to peel then it could be dangerous

2023 Vice Pro Lime

Hopefully it's just the chrome that's cracked. If so the club will play normally. If the hosel is truly cracked the club may still live for a good while but pay attention to any change in tone when struck - a dull tone.

That's what I'm gonna be looking for today and see if sound and feel is any different.

That happened to a set of Maxfli Revolution blacks I had years ago. Purely cosmetic until is starts to peel then it could be dangerous

If it's plating I can live with it. I'll find something to atleast fill it. I know the main thing will be rust over time that I'm gonna have to pay attention to and keep clean.

I fear that's a fracture, if you call Titleist and very nicely speak with them I'm sure they will support you on this one. Assuming these irons aren't bent 6 degrees upright! If these haven't been altered then I'm confident they will replace the head.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I fear that's a fracture, if you call Titleist and very nicely speak with them I'm sure they will support you on this one. Assuming these irons aren't bent 6 degrees upright! If these haven't been altered then I'm confident they will replace the head.

They weren't bent 6 degrees, but the have been altered from standard lie. Had my local golf shop bend them 2 degrees up and 1 degree weak about a week ago. I'm surprised I didn't catch it that day, but I spotted it yesterday. Talked with Titleist customer service and won't warranty to it since they didn't bend, plus out of warranty since its a previous model. Luckily I have a 6 iron coming to replace just in case. Gonna hate the mismatched serial number

They weren't bent 6 degrees, but the have been altered from standard lie. Had my local golf shop bend them 2 degrees up and 1 degree weak about a week ago. I'm surprised I didn't catch it that day, but I spotted it yesterday. Talked with Titleist customer service and won't warranty to it since they didn't bend, plus out of warranty since its a previous model. Luckily I have a 6 iron coming to replace just in case. Gonna hate the mismatched serial number

Regarding the mis-matched serial number, I wouldn't worry about after I heard the Fred Couples Podcast a few days ago where he always requests 3 sets of irons from the manufacturer and then tests each iron from each set and takes the best feel and production out of each group until he has one complete set. The matching serial numbers are only an issue for resale or someone's OCD (I have many of my own).

2023 Vice Pro Lime

Regarding the mis-matched serial number, I wouldn't worry about after I heard the Fred Couples Podcast a few days ago where he always requests 3 sets of irons from the manufacturer and then tests each iron from each set and takes the best feel and production out of each group until he has one complete set. The matching serial numbers are only an issue for resale or someone's OCD (I have many of my own).

I remember Lee Trevino would get a crazy number of sets (my mind says 21 but it could have been less) and make a set out of them. These are the days before frequency analyzers and tight tolerances. They just used feel.

MCC Align Midsize

I think I may have dodged a bullet here and the crack is just cosmetic. Club didn't feel any different and the ball was flying very consistent. Ball didn't feel dead and still felt solid like a forged iron should.

Now to find someone or something to fill in this crack.

I think I may have dodged a bullet here and the crack is just cosmetic. Club didn't feel any different and the ball was flying very consistent. Ball didn't feel dead and still felt solid like a forged iron should.

That's the start of a joke, but I don't want to get a time out. ;)

MCC Align Midsize

Just lightly paint over it with clear fingernail polish.

Interesting! I’ve only snapped two clubs bending in 15 or so years and one was a cheapie club that had a void cast in the hosel... the other a cast Mizuno and the hosel bore was off centre.

• 3 months later...

It looks to me like a mark, not a crack.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I remember Lee Trevino would get a crazy number of sets (my mind says 21 but it could have been less) and make a set out of them. These are the days before frequency analyzers and tight tolerances. They just used feel.

I remember when Tiger was doing testing for his new irons earlier in the year, Faldo was talking about how much easier it is to get matched sets now and how he(and others) used to cherry pick single clubs from 15-20 sets to get a matching set that they liked.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2