2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

These pictures on Instagram #tsproject are just insane. 10mph gain in ball speed and 20+ yards are just absurd to me. Most of these are golf professionals so you’d think their old clubs were pretty optimal to begin with. Either they are proving that old titleist drivers were way behind others or that another brand of driver they were was completely wrong for them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m already pre-ordering a TS3 but all I’m expecting is for it to keep up with all the other big dogs and match the rest of my bag. Lol If I gain a few yards then that’s a complete bonus. If I gain 20 then I will literally eat my old driver.

Uh oh. I’m writing down this post number. I want to see someone try and eat a driver.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These pictures on Instagram #tsproject are just insane. 10mph gain in ball speed and 20+ yards are just absurd to me. Most of these are golf professionals so you'd think their old clubs were pretty optimal to begin with. Either they are proving that old titleist drivers were way behind others or that another brand of driver they were was completely wrong for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm already pre-ordering a TS3 but all I'm expecting is for it to keep up with all the other big dogs and match the rest of my bag. Lol If I gain a few yards then that's a complete bonus. If I gain 20 then I will literally eat my old driver.

hype is hype :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Either they are proving that old titleist drivers were way behind others or that another brand of driver they were was completely wrong for them.

I think Titleist has acknowledged that they have missed the boat in the last couple of releases. I am not surprised these staffers are picking up that much yardage. I would be skeptical if they said they were coming from an Epic or M4 and getting this gain.....but from the 917, not surprised at all.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

These pictures on Instagram #tsproject are just insane. 10mph gain in ball speed and 20+ yards are just absurd to me. Most of these are golf professionals so you’d think their old clubs were pretty optimal to begin with. Either they are proving that old titleist drivers were way behind others or that another brand of driver they were was completely wrong for them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m already pre-ordering a TS3 but all I’m expecting is for it to keep up with all the other big dogs and match the rest of my bag. Lol If I gain a few yards then that’s a complete bonus. If I gain 20 then I will literally eat my old driver.

Uh oh. I’m writing down this post number. I want to see someone try and eat a driver.

The turbulators should help with the heart burn.

The turbulators should help with the heart burn.

I bet titanium chunks don’t feel very good when they exit the other end! : (

My pro picked up 22 yards during his fitting compared to 917. He said mostly from ball speed, Im trying to get you guys numbers.

Every fit I have seen numbers on ,the actual club speeds are higher as well as ball speeds. I know this head is supposedly more aerodynamical in design and the stock shafts are +1/2” (45 1/2”), but every club speed is 3-4 mph faster

My pro picked up 22 yards during his fitting compared to 917. He said mostly from ball speed, I’m trying to get you guys numbers.

Every fit I have seen numbers on ,the actual club speeds are higher as well as ball speeds. I know this head is supposedly more aerodynamical in design and the stock shafts are +1/2” (45 1/2”), but every club speed is 3-4 mph faster

A half inch of club length from 45 to 45.5 should at most increase club head speed 1-2 mph so there must be another reason for the additional 1-2 mph increase on top of the club length increase which must have to do with aerodynamics as those that have posted data are gaining clubhead speed when swapping their current driver shafts into the TS heads.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1650638-titleists-new-ts-2-ts-3-driver-shot-2018-us-open/page__st__810#entry17898392

For example in that post, he starts at 108.5 with his current driver then gains 1.2 mph when he puts his old shaft on the new head then gains another 1.3 mph when using the new shafts. Those numbers seem to be in line with what I've seen posted by people who have hit the new drivers. He gains 18 yards but some of that should be attributed to increasing his launch by 2 degrees and lowering his spin by 600 RPM.

So it seems to be a little of both. Though the excitement factor of trying something new and adrenaline fueling a slightly faster swing can't be ruled out for the 1-2 mph that's being attributed to the head

I tried both the TS2 and TS3 compared to my G400 LST. The TS2 and TS3 were 45" Hzardus Smoke and my G400 LST was 45" Accra TZX.

I saw an increase in ball speed of 2-3 mph and slight distance gain with both the TS2 and TS3. I loved the look of the TS3 but got better overall results with the TS2. I was also surprised to prefer the sound/feel of the TS2 over the TS3. The biggest gain for me was the substantial improvement to dispersion with both the TS2 and TS3. To be fair, the TS3 vs. G400 LST is a better comparison based on head design but the TS3 was a clear winner. I also tried the TS2 vs. the G400Max to make a fair comparison and again the Titleist won out by a wide margin. I also appreciate that Titleist switched the triangle alignment back around. Overall very impressive new offering from Titleist.

One other side note that I found interesting is that Titleist expects that many of the pros that initially opt for the TS3 (due to looks and shot shaping) will eventually convert to TS2 due to the sizable forgiveness and dispersion advantage. They think TS2 will be in about 60%-70% of staff bags by next year. Not sure exactly how accurate that is but just passing along what I was told.

what did you like better about the ts2 over the g400 max? Thanks

I've never really been a big fan of the G400 at address with the turbulators and dragonfly. It is a bit too busy for my liking but the results made me live with it...until the TS2 came along. The TS2 has a similar head shape as the G400max without all the noise. Better look, better feel, more ball speed, more distance, and tighter dispersion are all reasons why I'll be going back to Titleist for the first time since the 910.

I've never really been a big fan of the G400 at address with the turbulators and dragonfly. It is a bit too busy for my liking but the results made me live with it...until the TS2 came along. The TS2 has a similar head shape as the G400max without all the noise. Better look, better feel, more ball speed, more distance, and tighter dispersion are all reasons why I'll be going back to Titleist for the first time since the 910.

Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to try the TS2. For the last 6 years played titleist drivers. Played a 910D2 for years,(still have it, because like most on here, best feeling titleist). moved to a 915D2, had some of my best driving days with it, but like a true club ho, thought I needed the latest and greatest and got the 917D2. Never got along with it. In fact, a month ago after a terrible driving day, went straight to the store and traded it for a ping g400 max. I like it, but this new TS2 really has me anxious to try.

Srixon and Titleist claiming to have solved their issues with drivers. We shall see.

I don't know if there was much that needed solving.

I've had both in the bag and the 917 D2 was probably the most accurate driver I've used recently although it was a little shorter.

The Z765 was plenty long enough (longer than an M1 for me at least) but sat closed and I couldn't make it go right. If you swung like me and struggled with a slice it would be a great driver.

Having said that a TS of some sort will more than likely be going in the bag.

If all of this is true I’ll be game one in no time!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I cant be the only one happy that the new Titleist drivers are coming out so i can finally buy a 917 D2 for a reasonable price.

I'll hook up a fellow hoosier as soon as I can order the TS

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

+5 ball speed from my m1. Carry went from 260 to 272, and totals went from 272 to 300. 110 swing speed, I can't get over how good the driver feels and sounds.

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

Looking at the shaft offerings, I am a little behind when it comes to shafts.

I currently have a Diamana D+ in my 917D2. It is actually the D+ that I got in my 913 that I just can't see past. I did have a Fujikura Pro TS 74 in the 917 when I first got it but switched it over as I felt it was going too high.

Of the upcoming offerings what would be the best to try?

EvenFlow White T1100

Or Hzrdous Smoke

Or just keep the D+. Still a VERY relevant shaft

For those “holding out for a 917”.... don’t do it. The 917 fairways were as good as Titleist has ever made and I thought my 917 F2 16.5° would remain in the bag after the TS launch. Boy was I wrong....

Both the driver and fairway are unbelievable.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 46”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

For those “holding out for a 917”.... don’t do it. The 917 fairways were as good as Titleist has ever made and I thought my 917 F2 16.5° would remain in the bag after the TS launch. Boy was I wrong....

Are the fairways really that much better? What was the difference for taking the 917 out for the TS3 fairway?

I have my fitting scheduled for early October with a really great fitter here in Toronto that fits for multiple brands. I can't wait to try these out. I think I hit my 917D3 pretty well, but being a 95 - 98MPH guy, I'll take any increase in ball speed that I can get :-)

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

I have my fitting scheduled for early October with a really great fitter here in Toronto that fits for multiple brands. I can't wait to try these out. I think I hit my 917D3 pretty well, but being a 95 - 98MPH guy, I'll take any increase in ball speed that I can get :-)

I am about 92 MPH and the Smoke 6.0 with the TS2 was by far the best performer for me from my fitting yesterday, beat my 917D2 by 8 - 10 yards. Couldn't find a FW to beat my 917F2 15 set at 16.5, pre ordering now!