2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Mark Crossfield’s YouTube video.. it’s interesting how the sole of the driver could have looked like this... D2 is quiet large on the sole.

Anser 9.5 Tour 65 X
Anser 16.5 Tour 75 X
Anser 20 Hybrid Speeder 9.8
714 AP2 4-9 KBS
Vokey RAW SM8 46F 50F 55D, 60D TI
Newport Two

Titleist marketing has gone Harry Arnett

They're claiming the stock shafts are "Real Deal"

That's because they are. At least for the PX shafts they are. Don Brown from TT/PX has stated plenty of times before the OEM shafts are real deal offerings just not handcrafted. As stated above, same materials, design as handcrafted just mass produced in China vs handrolled in San Diego.

So by "Real Deal", they mean the mass produced cheaper OEM offering?

exactly

So does the driver come with the entire surefit cg weight kit, or is that extra to buy heavier weights? I'd be playing it around 44.5" instead of 45.5" so would definitely need a heavier weight. I'm guessing my pro could order it at a specific swing weight like Ping offers?

You will want to be very specific with your request. Unless they use hotmelt or tip weights for you they will not be able to get you back to D-3 with just the weights if you like a “standard” swingweight.

That’s one thing I immediately realized is a problem for all the guys that like a shorter driver. Now that Stock is put to 45.5”, going up to an 18 gram (max) weight from a 12 or 14 is not going to be near enough weight to stay at D-3. I’m guessing D-0 or D-1 will be the max at 44.5” unless you hotmelt or use tip weights or good old fashioned lead tape.

I play mine at 43.5” so it’s irrelevant to me. I always have to hot melt. Now it’s just going to need another 4-5 grams. I guess I Better buy another tube.

And we slowly move toward a world where every driver is 46" long, has low back CG and a nearly flat face (less roll and bulge). Basically, a Ping / Taylomade M2 / Cobra F8.

The reason this is happening? Because most buyers choose drivers by going into a dark hitting bay in a big box store and whacking at it until they find the one that goes 10 yards further than the rest. Ball marks all over the club face, Dripping with sweat, they end up walking out with a pole vaulting pole with a shoe box at the end of it. This monstrosity they have purchasaed doesnt look or feel like anything else in their bags, so stepping out on the tee box theres a little alarm going off inside saying (wtf is this thing in my hand?).

I know im alone in this, but I just think 460cc is too big and over 45" is too long. I also think there comes a point where the CG is way too far back in the clubhead, it just feels goofy after w while. No other club in my bag feels like all the weight is 4" away from the ball.

Rant aside, I do love how they have focused on maximizing COR by investing in more precise manufacturing, I think its pretty archaic that so many manufacturers left that up to factory workers to polish it down by hand. Its about time we had more consistency across all drivers.

Any info on the actual weight tube offerings? Same increments as 917? Playing a T1100 at 45 inches I guess I need to factor that in huh?

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/surefit

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS3/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

That's because they are. At least for the PX shafts they are. Don Brown from TT/PX has stated plenty of times before the OEM shafts are real deal offerings just not handcrafted. As stated above, same materials, design as handcrafted just mass produced in China vs handrolled in San Diego.

And don't forget more consistent to tolerances than the handcrafted. Handcrafted products will never, ever match machine made for consistency of tolerances.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

No matter what, some will convince themselves the TS3 is as forgiving as the G400 Max, regardless of reality.

TS2 is the higher moi model, is it not?

so it would have to be TS2 that is "as" forgiving as G400 Max rather than TS3 - right?

It is, but someone commented "If the TS3 is nearly as forgiving than the G400 Max, then..."

Pretty sure that was me, you can say it... and you actually quoted my quote exactly as I said it... NEARLY as forgiving. I never said AS forgiving.... I do not see how it would be impossible for the TS3 to be NEARLY as forgiving. It just doesn't seem that far from possibility given they are both at max size... If you wanted to argue the 445 cc D3, then yeah, I would not necessarily argue... even though the 917 D3 WAS pretty damn forgiving...

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

No matter what, some will convince themselves the TS3 is as forgiving as the G400 Max, regardless of reality.

TS2 is the higher moi model, is it not?

so it would have to be TS2 that is "as" forgiving as G400 Max rather than TS3 - right?

It is, but someone commented "If the TS3 is nearly as forgiving than the G400 Max, then..."

Pretty sure that was me, you can say it... and you actually quoted my quote exactly as I said it... NEARLY as forgiving. I never said AS forgiving.... I do not see how it would be impossible for the TS3 to be NEARLY as forgiving. It just doesn't seem that far from possibility given they are both at max size... If you wanted to argue the 445 cc D3, then yeah, I would not necessarily argue... even though the 917 D3 WAS pretty damn forgiving...

I thought the 917 D3 was plenty forgiving.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I think I read that the new TS3 is more forgiving than the 917D2. If so, that's pretty darn good. I personally haven't seen ball speeds higher than others out there, but this certainly has Titleist in the same realm as TM, Callaway and Ping, which is a huge step in the right direction for Titleist.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

looks like so far from what I can tell on youtube even with Rick Shiels and a few others, balls speeds are not magically higher just the spin is down and better forgiveness.

Seeing the same. They definitely look good, and if you're a Titleist driver person, you're happy. But my G400 Max is likely safe.

However, I can not wait to try both 16.5* fairways. I see myself getting one of them.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I think I read that the new TS3 is more forgiving than the 917D2. If so, that's pretty darn good. I personally haven't seen ball speeds higher than others out there, but this certainly has Titleist in the same realm as TM, Callaway and Ping, which is a huge step in the right direction for Titleist.

I think it said that in the MGS article. Driver looks like it performs up there with the best of them. I will be trying out the TS3

Still find it funny any time someone said a Titleist driver spun to much for them on here you get attacked. Yet every article has someone from Titleist talking about how the older drivers spun to much and werent as long.....

So does the driver come with the entire surefit cg weight kit, or is that extra to buy heavier weights? I'd be playing it around 44.5" instead of 45.5" so would definitely need a heavier weight. I'm guessing my pro could order it at a specific swing weight like Ping offers?

If it's anything like the 917, which I'm sure it will be, you will be able to specify which weight you want when you custom order.

can confirm this - I just ordered my TS3 with a +2g weight to account for my playing it at 45"

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

And don't forget more consistent to tolerances than the handcrafted. Handcrafted products will never, ever match machine made for consistency of tolerances.

Except that PX has acknowledged that HC are made to tighter tolerances due to the expertise of the people making them domestically.

I feel like PX calling these shafts "handcrafted" was a poor choice of label. Go watch a video of how these are made - there are vids up on the PX youtube channel, and on other various golf sites. They are made the exact same way, but one is made by one of their "certified" shaft rollers in San Diego, and the other is made by someone in China. They both involve hand-rolling, and they both involve machines.

Honestly, PX should just label their premium offerings "Made in the USA" and left it at that. They have the same profile, with the same materials, and the same methods, rolled by different people in different countries. 99% of the time, they will play exactly the same, and that 1% they don't will probably not even be noticeable to an amateur.

I have no dog in this race - I have a HC HZRDUS Yellow in my current gamer, and I have a non-HC Even Flow White en route in my TS3. It's just crazy that you have one camp saying "the non-HC is a cheap knock-off, barely worthy of the HZRDUS/Even Flow name" and another camp saying that "the handcrafted process can't be nearly as accurate".

THEY ARE THE SAME DAMN SHAFT!!

Mugatu-Crazy_Pills_large.jpg?v=1527786539

*I exclude the HZRDUS T800 from this discussion. It's a totally different shaft.

Except that PX has acknowledged that HC are made to tighter tolerances due to the expertise of the people making them domestically.

I feel like PX calling these shafts "handcrafted" was a poor choice of label. Go watch a video of how these are made - there are vids up on the PX youtube channel, and on other various golf sites. They are made the exact same way, but one is made by one of their "certified" shaft rollers in San Diego, and the other is made by someone in China. They both involve hand-rolling, and they both involve machines.

Honestly, PX should just label their premium offerings "Made in the USA" and left it at that. They have the same profile, with the same materials, and the same methods, rolled by different people in different countries. 99% of the time, they will play exactly the same, and that 1% they don't will probably not even be noticeable to an amateur.

I have no dog in this race - I have a HC HZRDUS Yellow in my current gamer, and I have a non-HC Even Flow White en route in my TS3. It's just crazy that you have one camp saying "the non-HC is a cheap knock-off, barely worthy of the HZRDUS/Even Flow name" and another camp saying that "the handcrafted process can't be nearly as accurate".

THEY ARE THE SAME DAMN SHAFT!!

Mugatu-Crazy_Pills_large.jpg?v=1527786539

*I exclude the HZRDUS T800 from this discussion. It's a totally different shaft.

What HC Yellow did you have and what did you order for the EF White? I play HC yellow in an M3 so looking for a shaft if I go with the TS3

What HC Yellow did you have and what did you order for the EF White? I play HC yellow in an M3 so looking for a shaft if I go with the TS3

I had the HC Yelloy 75g 6.0. I personally found that the Even Flow felt like a yellow (smooth), but had some lower spin. In all honesty, the main reason I went with the EFW was to try a shaft in the 65g range - I don't typically get along with sub-70g shafts in my driver, but the Titleist fitter thought that, given the T1100 material, I could get away with 65g. If it works, awesome, if not, I'll jump back into my HZRDUS.

I had the HC Yelloy 75g 6.0. I personally found that the Even Flow felt like a yellow (smooth), but had some lower spin. In all honesty, the main reason I went with the EFW was to try a shaft in the 65g range - I don't typically get along with sub-70g shafts in my driver, but the Titleist fitter thought that, given the T1100 material, I could get away with 65g. If it works, awesome, if not, I'll jump back into my HZRDUS.

Cool Thanks im 65g 6.0 may give that a shot in the T1100 EF

Was able to get fit today in the Seattle area by Rick Barlament.

T2 9.5*

A-1

Standard Length

Proect X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 (6.5)

Averaged 170 Ball Speed, 285 Carry, 295 Total, 2800 Spin

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

From Mark Crossfield's YouTube video.. it's interesting how the sole of the driver could have looked like this... D2 is quiet large on the sole.

He hit it in February and it was a prototype "D2" 919 head. Rather than stick with that old naming scheme, they changed it to TS2 and TS3. Classic marketing trick.

I like the look of these clubs, but I'm not a fan of the price or added length. If they had a stock 45" and the same shaft options they are carrying this year, for $50 less, it would be workable. At $500, it just doesn't make me want to jump out and try one.

Had my fitting today.

So first my current driver.

917 D2 9.5 stiff flex atmos blue 45 inches.

I was not fitted for this driver.

The head was based on forgiveness versus distance. The shaft was based on my 98 mph swing speed in February of this year.

After I got warmed up and hit my first five shots with my current driver. The words were your driver is wrong for you in every way.

So my new driver;

TS3 8.5 in the A2 setting. 60 gram hzrdus smoke Xflex. Evenflow Xflex was really close to that as well. Smoke was just a little better.

Average SS 107

Average spin 2400 (tried just about everything. Couldn't get it consistently lower. It's my swing)

Ball speed increase was just 5 mph

Total distance increase was just under 18 yards.

My spin with my original driver was off the charts. We wont even talk about. Everything about my current driver was wrong.

This is a prime example why you should go get fit. Dont trust your eyes or what you experience on the course.

Sorry- current driver length 45 inches, new driver 45 inches.

Average distance 288 yards with new driver

Hit both the TS2 and TS3 today with about 8 different shafts at True Spec golf on a GCQ against my G400 LST 10 degree in PO 70TX. I had really high hopes based on this thread but the best combo couldn’t get within 3 mph of the LST ball speed. TS3 spin was the same.

Both setups at 45â€. I actually had 1-2 mph higher clubhead speed in the best TS3 and the contact on face was similar to the G400.

Also had a fitting today and I would not classify one driver as more forgiving then the other. They literally just look and feel different but my misses with the TS2 were much worse than the TS3 as the side spin just took off it felt like. My swing speed was around 105 and I fit into the Evenflow White 6.0 and it felt great. A smoother whiteboard with kick. I could feel the head snap through at impact. The TS3 Head is just so perfect and fits my eye better than the TS2. The TS2 just seemed Rogueish to me which is incredibly forgiving but just not my preferred shape. The TS3 is quite possibly a perfect driver for looks and sound in my opinion and paired with the evenflow white it is just a beautiful package!

Watched a few of the videos, a couple of mph better ball speed, tighter dispersion, but I don’t see any huge gains. If you look at the numbers say in the Michael Newton video the total distance and carry was within 2-4 yards compared to his Ping.

I have the 917D3 and am very happy with it. I am sure I will try the TS drivers, but from what I have seen, I don’t think spending $499 will be worth it.

Just to add, I have had in the last year the Epic, Epic SZ, 917D3, Rogue and Ping G400, and at the course I play the most, my drives all ended up in about the same place. I think once you are properly fit, most drivers are pretty close to each other.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

rather disappointing that Titleist is going 45.5 inches in stock length.

I agree, if I end up purchasing one I will probably go for 44", I did also contact Titleist and they said they would get it to as close to the original swing weight as possible.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

I went and hit the ts2 and ts3 at my local golf store. Although they didn't have many shafts in, I at least wanted to see what the head felt like. I really like the thin feel of the face on the ts3. Definitely replacing my M3.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15