Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

So Titleist said, "Let's make our new driver have the same shape as the Callaway Epic. Yeah, that works, but the sole design should have the same look and weight port as the PING G400. OK, done. Wait, why not make the graphics design look like Taylormade's R9? Alright, now we've got something here. Let's charge, say, $549 -599 and we can sit back for two years, knowing we're way behind everyone in driver tech... again!"

Unless they have crystal ball, probably started working on this iteration years ago others were not around to copy.

Yet in an amazingly eerie coincidence, they came up with this...

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Titleist said, "Let's make our new driver have the same shape as the Callaway Epic. Yeah, that works, but the sole design should have the same look and weight port as the PING G400. OK, done. Wait, why not make the graphics design look like Taylormade's R9? Alright, now we've got something here. Let's charge, say, $549 -599 and we can sit back for two years, knowing we're way behind everyone in driver tech... again!"

There is literally no amount of eye rolling that would do this post justice. Good grief...

It's the Nike crowd, they're unhappy without cavity back woods in red, glow in the dark, and blue crowns

Good call, except I've never even hit a Nike club. Ever. I know a lot of guys love to play a complete Titleist setup, and no bag setup looks more "player" then one of their bags with all Titleist headcovers and clubs inside. I love their irons, going back to the DCI's, but sorry, they've been a step above Mizuno in their driver and fairway woods for years. Way behind TM, Cally, and even PING. Now let's sit back and see how wrong I am on the price point.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

There is literally no amount of eye rolling that would do this post justice. Good grief...

It's the Nike crowd, they're unhappy without cavity back woods in red, glow in the dark, and blue crowns

But seriously - didn't Adam Scott just play his way back into the US Open with a 910 in his bag at times?? By this guys logic, AS shouldn't have been able to qualify for the Yucatan Masters with that old tech in has bag, being that it's soooo far behind.

The crap that posted on this site sometimes...

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

You forgot the these parts that the engineers discussed "lets make sure we make .00089% of profit by changing the weight shape" and "lets make sure this driver has 27% more spin and 18% less ball speed then the competitors".

But seriously - didn't Adam Scott just play his way back into the US Open with a 910 in his bag at times?? By this guys logic, AS shouldn't have been able to qualify for the Yucatan Masters with that old tech in has bag, being that it's soooo far behind. Also, I'm trying to figure out the point you're trying to make (snide comment aside , fanboy). Scott is under contract to play Titlist clubs, yet you're saying the 8 year old 910 is as good or better then the new 2018 model? I'm going to go on a limb and guess you weren't on your high school debate team.

What crap? Wow, I riled up some fanboys with a non fawning "Oooh Yes please, give me some TS love" comment?" BTW Adam Scott has one of the best swings ever seen on tour. He can hit anything well. Just can't make a putt. (Thanks to the USGA)

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

But seriously - didn't Adam Scott just play his way back into the US Open with a 910 in his bag at times?? By this guys logic, AS shouldn't have been able to qualify for the Yucatan Masters with that old tech in has bag, being that it's soooo far behind.

What crap? Wow, I riled up some fanboys with a non fawning "Oooh Yes please, give me some TS love" comment?" BTW Adam Scott has one of the best swings ever seen on tour. He can hit anything well. Just can't make a putt. (Thanks to the USGA)

Well, there's a lot of crap that gets posted with a lot of great content as well. In the case of Titleist drivers, it's insane to me, all the nonsense about high spin and lack of "tech". And every time I see a post about either of those two things, I'm gonna have some fun with it, cause it's just not true! Cheer bud!

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Will the new model have the same surefit adapter as the 915?? I skipped the 917 iteration so wasn't sure if they kept it compatible with older surefits.

I'm sure it will. Only 910 is not compatible with the others...

Nope, 910 is the same as the others..

This is the first set to have different weight systems. I adjust the weights (draw/fade/neutral) based on the range that day with my 917. Looks like the D2 is reverting back to the 915 weight, but the D3 gets 2 weights to adjust. Have to see how the traditional -2 driver is more forgiving will be marketed against the -3 with the additional adjustments. I know the TM drivers I had to use the 3 vs. the 4 to get enough draw. Also have to see if these remain priced the same or get a higher price for the TD3, like the TM M3. I'm a Titleist guy, but will have to hear more.

Got to say... the lack of actual info about the clubs is disappointing.

Here is a sports car. Enjoy the way it looks. Has a 4 cylinder engine... but looks good. See... just look at the pic.

This, and assuming it’s performance won’t be good based on its appearance.

I’m lookikg forward to the testing data and player feedback to rollout on these heads.

To me it seems unlikely titltiest wouldn’t creat some-sort of improvement with a new driver release. Maybe it feels better, sounds better, has a better MOI or produces more consistent ball speeds across the face while optimizing launch and spin on ALL strike-points on the face? Maybe it does these all? Until then....we are all speculating.

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

Here is a sports car. Enjoy the way it looks. Has a 4 cylinder engine... but looks good. See... just look at the pic.

Its going through "tour validation" right now. They dont know the specs! Once they get the data from the the pro's they will build them for us duh!!! :taunt:

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Good call, except I've never even hit a Nike club. Ever. I know a lot of guys love to play a complete Titleist setup, and no bag setup looks more "player" then one of their bags with all Titleist headcovers and clubs inside. I love their irons, going back to the DCI's, but sorry, they've been a step above Mizuno in their driver and fairway woods for years. Way behind TM, Cally, and even PING. Now let's sit back and see how wrong I am on the price point.

A 550-600 dollar driver would retail for 500-550 a few months after launch. That doesn't sound out of the ordinary for Titleist. I know you can get a Callaway or TM for 150 bucks MSRP a few months after launch.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I'm a Titleist guy, and I doubt that there's any drastic new alteration inside the club, such as "jailbreak." Otherwise, one would think they would make some kind of external indication of the new tech under the hood.

Also, it's a bummer they're moving away from the dark grey finish on the crown. I liked that better than the traditional black. Maybe if a T4 comes out? I doubt it will, since they were able to keep spin rates sufficiently low on the 917D3, saying there wasn't a demand for a D4 by the tour guys. IMO, the 915D4 outperformed both 917s.

This, and assuming it's performance won't be good based on its appearance.

I'm lookikg forward to the testing data and player feedback to rollout on these heads.

To me it seems unlikely titltiest wouldn't creat some-sort of improvement with a new driver release. Maybe it feels better, sounds better, has a better MOI or produces more consistent ball speeds across the face while optimizing launch and spin on ALL strike-points on the face? Maybe it does these all? Until then....we are all speculating.

If we assume the performance won't be good based on appearance than the g400 should have been a dud.

Its going through "tour validation" right now. They dont know the specs! Once they get the data from the the pro's they will build them for us duh!!! :taunt:

I hate to say it, but the WRX Validation is all that matters around these parts lol. The spinometer test takes 80% of the weighting for the test cases.

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

Could Titleist still redesign or change the name to this due to no pictures up on USGA Conforming list?

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

So they basicly change everything back to 913/915 design? Black finish, rotated the alignment crown again, no weird weights bla bla bla. Just pure M2 simplicity. Interesting to see how they perform and sound. Maybe a new driver inc?

Proud member of Method EU * 421 ilvl Rogue (Outlaw/Assa) * 419 ilvl Demon Hunter (Havoc) * 418 ilvl Hunter (BM)

I hate to say it, but the WRX Validation is all that matters around these parts lol. The spinometer test takes 80% of the weighting for the test cases.

ya kinda have a point. These guys would ride a three legged mule ten miles to a liquor store to buy a half spent bottle of white lightening just so they could use it for charcoal starter.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Like most here... they both look good, but the lack of visible tech has me concerned that it may just be another run of the mill Titleist offering. Even if the other OEM's tech is just marketing, it creates perceived value. Also, disappointed that we don't see multi material. I just don't see anything innovative.

Without any insight into the tech or performance numbers, the only thing these drivers really have going for them is that they say "Titleist" on the side.

Will be Interesting to see when the Youtubers get their demo's and release the review videos.

So you think a company should go the multi material route for perception even though it does nothing for performance. Just more cost and a higher rate of failure? Makes sense.

No, I think Multi Material is real tech that allows manufacturers "free weight" to move into other areas of the club head that can significantly impact performance. I also like the look, sound, and feel of multi material heads.

The marketing tech I'm referring to are things like: "active recoils channels", sliding weight tracks, "Jailbreak", "Hammer Head" Slots, "Tubulators", "Smartpad", etc. Whether these things actually affect performance or not, I think consumers will be more inclined to buy when they can see new or perceived superior technology. Especially when talking about a golf club that may or may not perform better than a previous iteration.

I love that there are no "turbulators". I never liked the look of them- either Ping or Callaway- and that's why I eventually went back to Titleist.

Lots of people will bash the driver based on looks. Remember that the technology on most drivers is INSIDE the driver. The face thickness, the joints with the crown and sole, the weight placement. I suspect the TS2 will have the highest MOI Titleist has released, based on the way the market is going and the plan to create lower spin/higher MOI clubheads.

I'm interested in hearing what Titleist has to say about these, instead of what a bunch of amateur imaginary club experts say based only on photos.

Like most here... they both look good, but the lack of visible tech has me concerned that it may just be another run of the mill Titleist offering. Even if the other OEM's tech is just marketing, it creates perceived value. Also, disappointed that we don't see multi material. I just don't see anything innovative.

Without any insight into the tech or performance numbers, the only thing these drivers really have going for them is that they say "Titleist" on the side.

Will be Interesting to see when the Youtubers get their demo's and release the review videos.

So you think a company should go the multi material route for perception even though it does nothing for performance. Just more cost and a higher rate of failure? Makes sense.

No, I think Multi Material is real tech that allows manufacturers "free weight" to move into other areas of the club head that can significantly impact performance. I also like the look, sound, and feel of multi material heads.

The marketing tech I'm referring to are things like: "active recoils channels", sliding weight tracks, "Jailbreak", "Hammer Head" Slots, "Tubulators", "Smartpad", etc. Whether these things actually affect performance or not, I think consumers will be more inclined to buy when they can see new or perceived superior technology. Especially when talking about a golf club that may or may not perform better than a previous iteration.

Multi-material is pure marketing. It falls in line with all that you have listed. Ping didn't need carbon fiber to move more weight than callaway, cobra, and TM while they were on their way to creating the highest MOI drivers available.

Titleist deserves credit for producing a no non-sense driver that undoubtedly will perform very, very well. They look sleek and under stated by today's standards. Well done.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

It's the most Titleist press release ever. It'll perform like every Titelist driver ever - consistent but not as good as others but premium price.

And if I could borrow your crystal ball for a moment... Every other company will release a driver that everyone claims is 15 yards longer than the previous model even though it’s the exact same length as every driver for the last 5+ years.

But seriously - didn't Adam Scott just play his way back into the US Open with a 910 in his bag at times?? By this guys logic, AS shouldn't have been able to qualify for the Yucatan Masters with that old tech in has bag, being that it's soooo far behind. Also, I'm trying to figure out the point you're trying to make (snide comment aside , fanboy). Scott is under contract to play Titlist clubs, yet you're saying the 8 year old 910 is as good or better then the new 2018 model? I'm going to go on a limb and guess you weren't on your high school debate team.

got it--Adam Scott is the exception to the "it's about the club not the player" rule.

I don't know what theme ITT is more comical--the concern over lack of "visible tech" or the belief that the "marketing department" is responsible for the clubs WITH visible tech?

I'm just glad so many have figured out so much based on a few pics. well done!