Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

I went yesterday to gg and hit the ts2 and ts3 against the srixon 785 and tbh i was disappointed in them but i guess i like more face, it seems they made both of the faces not as tall or wide, i liked the smoke shaft the best of all of them i hit and i hit them all lol, it was one of those days where no one was waiting yes!, so far the 917d2 was just as good for my swing but confidence was better, i think the ts3 was better looking and more like the d2 size and chubbiness but the 785 is the clear winner with the hc black shaft for me, im a Titleist lover and it is a great looking club but just not what i was expecting, i was fitted into the ts2 with the smoke 6.0 BTW

I did find the ts2 3 wood was awesome to hit and surprisingly the rogue hybrid was ugly to my eye but was so damn easy to hit straight very amazed about that the ping g,400 hybrid was great to

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hit the demos at PGA SS and got the best numbers with the TS2 and Hzrdus Smoke. Did anyone else notice a big difference in sound between the TS2 and TS3? Either way i was extremely impressed with these new drivers. Never been a Titleist guy to this point.

Same boat. Still can’t believe the TS2/Smoke combo won out. Didn’t really notice a difference in sound between the heads when they had the same shaft. Seemed different shaft to shaft, though - not in a bad way, but noticeable. EF White was denser imo. HZRDUS Black was really muted, especially with the TS3.

The TS3 i hit had a really sharp pingy sound. Like it almost hurt my ears. Not sure what if it was just that head or what.

Just hit the demos at PGA SS and got the best numbers with the TS2 and Hzrdus Smoke. Did anyone else notice a big difference in sound between the TS2 and TS3? Either way i was extremely impressed with these new drivers. Never been a Titleist guy to this point.

TS3 to me sounds a little more “metallic” and the TS2 more muted. Very faint difference but I did notice it.

Got the chance to hit the TS3 again today. Still didn't manage to get it on a launch monitor to check the numbers but wanted to test it out on the course. Really impressed with the forgiveness of the TS3. Having put some pretty ropey swings on it, it still really seemed to want to stay relatively straight. Ball flight is good as well.

My miss with my 917D2 is the heel. With the TS3 though, it seemed like it was the toe. Would that be a product of the extra half inch on the shaft?

I would think the opposite, longer shaft would push the club further away making your miss to the heel side.

That was my initial thought but then I started thinking about how so much in golf is the opposite of what you would expect it to be! Thanks for clearing it up though.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Same boat. Still can’t believe the TS2/Smoke combo won out. Didn’t really notice a difference in sound between the heads when they had the same shaft. Seemed different shaft to shaft, though - not in a bad way, but noticeable. EF White was denser imo. HZRDUS Black was really muted, especially with the TS3.

The TS3 i hit had a really sharp pingy sound. Like it almost hurt my ears. Not sure what if it was just that head or what.

I didn't notice it being that loud. It was definitely different to the 917D2 but nothing compared to the 915D2! I swear my hearing went down hill after hitting that with range balls.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I didn't notice it being that loud. It was definitely different to the 917D2 but nothing compared to the 915D2! I swear my hearing went down hill after hitting that with range balls.

Exactly why I sold my 915, it actually hurt my ears when I hit it.

Quite liked my 917 though.

Anyone price out the Tensei Orange pro upcharge with Titleist?

GolfUSAManhattan has all the up charges on their website, +$250 for all of the Tensei Pros

Upcharges will be a little different from retailer to retailer.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I've played 36 holes with a TS3 past weekend and unfortunately it's not a keeper. I couldn't get used to the feel even tho I hit 66.7% fairways which is my average. Couldn't figure out if I hit well or not, sound was weird but surprisingly, most of the time, it went 10-15yds further than any other driver I tried. Also tried different shafts in the range but still the same. To be fair I didn't like the feel of 917 and may be related to the cg weight. I'm pre ordering a TS2 today and hopefully will work out. I know the distance is there.

I've played 36 holes with a TS3 past weekend and unfortunately it's not a keeper. I couldn't get used to the feel even tho I hit 66.7% fairways which is my average. Couldn't figure out if I hit well or not, sound was weird but surprisingly, most of the time, it went 10-15yds further than any other driver I tried. Also tried different shafts in the range but still the same. To be fair I didn't like the feel of 917 and may be related to the cg weight. I'm pre ordering a TS2 today and hopefully will work out. I know the distance is there.

If I pick up 10-15 yards with my TS3 over my M2 and hit 66.7% of my fairways I won't care if it feels and sounds like a wet fart. It's going to be a keeper.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Not sure what I am missing here?

I see what you did there!

That's a humble brag.

I tried the TS3 with Smoke shaft at Golftown here up north. Very nice looking head and the distance was the same as the G400 LST with my Tensei Pro Orange. Very impressed considering it was a stock shaft off the rack. I’ll be putting a titleist tip on my orange to see if I can squeeze anything more out of it. Either the smoke or the orange will be up for sale shortly based on the results.

Congratulations! .... You just managed to confuse every single person on this thread.

Congratulations! .... You just managed to confuse every single person on this thread.

LOL, it wasn't my intention. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to try TS2.

I don’t like or understand Titleist’s pricing for these drivers. First the price is top end for the major OEM’s, next there is no price separation between the lower tech TS2 and the sure fit weight enabled TS3 (the Taylormade M3 costs more than the lower tech M4 while still offering the same shaft options).

It would also be nice and perhaps good business for Titleist to sell head only TS2/TS3’s (with suitable head weighting), there are a multitude of Titleist loyalists out their with everything from 910 to 917 most of them already fitted with a perfectly matched shafts.

LOL, it wasn't my intention. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to try TS2.

Ah ha! There we go. The club Ho emerges.

When you tell us all that you hit 2/3rds of your fairways and it’s the longest driver you’re EVER hit by 10-15 yards, but it’s not staying in your bag, it’s clear that there must be something else going on in your cranium that we are not understanding.

I don’t like or understand Titleist’s pricing for these drivers. First the price is top end for the major OEM’s, next there is no price separation between the lower tech TS2 and the sure fit weight enabled TS3 (the Taylormade M3 costs more than the lower tech M4 while still offering the same shaft options).

It would also be nice and perhaps good business for Titleist to sell head only TS2/TS3’s (with suitable head weighting), there are a multitude of Titleist loyalists out their with everything from 910 to 917 most of them already fitted with a perfectly matched shafts.

Id love to buy a head only, but that’s never going to happen. No major OEM wants to be seen As a “component” company. Right or wrong, it’s been that way forever.

An exception is the “Tour issue” stuff that is out there like Will Peoples and a few others get their hands on. Of course just a head costs more than an entire stock club so I guess that isn’t what most of us want.

I’d send Titleist $300 for a TS3 Head right now, but I’m not buying a whole new driver at retail right now. I have back ups of the shafts I play.

I don’t need anymore. I’ll just wait a few months and pick up a lightly used driver for $275-$300 like I always do.

Boy, what I'd give to have those problems lol

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

I think I know what he means. I went from a 913 to a 915 and got better results, but I couldn't deal with the impact sound of the 915. So I keep going back and forth, but the 913 is in the bag most of the time.

I have high hopes for the TS series

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

The head only question has been brought up a bunch of times on the Team Titleist forums, since there are many folks that have a bunch of premium shafts and don't care for any of the cheap OEM options that come stock. The answer given by the Titleist Concierge is that they're in the business of selling golf clubs, not golf club components

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I did hit about 250 balls outside today divided between TS2 and TS3 drivers and fairways.

Before trying them I had already bought TS3 driver and fairway in my mind. They look perfect and during my testing my longest shots was done by TS3 driver and fairway.

But after testing them on the range and on the course it’s not even close, I will for sure buy TS2 driver and fairway. Yes, TS3 was a little bit longer, yes it had lower spin, yes the trajectory was a little bit more penetrating, and yes the dispersion was ok – BUT – the dispersion and feel of TS2 was absolutely crazy. Also I very much prefer the sound of TS2 driver. After hitting +50 balls on the range with TS3 driver my ears was hurting. (Of course it’s not like 915, but still very loud with range balls – much better with AVX of course). When using TS2 even the range balls sounded great, and with AVX it was brilliant.

What about the looks of TS2? No, I don’t like either the fairway or driver, but I promise you, after seeing the results the look lovely :-)

BTW, my specs will be 9.5* TS2 with Tour AD DI 6s and 7x for 15* TS2 fairway. The Tour AD shafts outperformed both EFW and Smoke for me. (I’m 105mph with driver and 102mph with spoon, yes I know it’s a little bit odd – hence stiff for driver and X for fairway).

Got fit for the driver at titleist facility here today. As expected its beautiful to hit. Also hit the 3 wood and absolutely thrilled to see the TS2 fairway in 13.5 in LH ?. Is it the end of the month yet!?!?

Long story short I ended up with the Hzrdus Smoke 60g 6.5 in the TS3 head. The tensei av blue 65 x in the 13.5 degree TS2 fairway head for me was also the winner. I felt very comfortable hitting the ball both ways and felt i had no problem going to a draw or baby fades. Big take for me seemed to be on a couple of real stinking hits the ballspeed still stayed over 152mph. Dispersion wise this i feel like will see me in more fairways than my M1. Aaaand Of course I forgot to take god damn pics of the whole thing :(

Driver

Head: TS3

Loft: 8.5

SS: 107

BS: 157/158

Launch: 14-16ish

AOA: +4

Spin: 1950-2200

Carry: 270 ( 268-272 ish)

Total: 295+

3 wood

Head: TS2

Loft: 13.5

SS: 103

BS: 148-150

Launch: 16

Spin: 3000-32000

Carry: 250 ( 248-252 ish)

Total: 270

The head only question has been brought up a bunch of times on the Team Titleist forums, since there are many folks that have a bunch of premium shafts and don't care for any of the cheap OEM options that come stock. The answer given by the Titleist Concierge is that they're in the business of selling golf clubs, not golf club components

I can understand their stance but I do think it's a bit short-sighted and they are leaving some money on the table. No surprise that Titleist isn't willing to adapt quickly to a changing market. I think manufacturers and customers alike would benefit from heads being available independently, same goes for the secondary market and especially the used club retailers.

I found the same as you...sound was definitely different from shaft to shaft with the lighter weight shafts being more muted. I liked the HZRDUS Black shaft when demo-ed on the course. We have a titleist rep coming out for a demo day on Sept 29th...will hit more shaft combinations with the rep on a launch monitor to see what gives me the best feel and look.

Titliest 915D3 Diamana D+ White 70
Titliest 3W 915Fd 15*
Titliest Hybrid 915Hd 20.5*
Adams Pro hybrid 23* (2014)
Mizuno MP-69 irons 5-PW S300
Taylormade rac Wedges 52,56

I can understand their stance but I do think it's a bit short-sighted and they are leaving some money on the table. No surprise that Titleist isn't willing to adapt quickly to a changing market. I think manufacturers and customers alike would benefit from heads being available independently, same goes for the secondary market and especially the used club retailers.

Not sure it’s a Titleist issue. All the big dogs sell entire clubs only. They must do it for a reason such as big bucks from shaft companies for using them as stock shafts. If there was more money to be made by selling heads then they’d all be doing it.

Not sure it’s a Titleist issue. All the big dogs sell entire clubs only. They must do it for a reason such as big bucks from shaft companies for using them as stock shafts. If there was more money to be made by selling heads then they’d all be doing it.

Your point about shafts definitely makes sense. Not saying it’s a Titleist issue just that they wouldn’t be the first company to break the mold. Most companies offer a head option (ie., low spin) that only targets a very small percentage of golfers, why not offer head-only options that target all golfers. Many people tend to stay within the same brand anyway each year anyway after finding something they like, but if not, it’s cheap to switch out an adapter. I’d much rather spend $350-400 on a head that I’m interested in than $500+ with a shaft that I will have to sell or keep for trade in down the road.