Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

Has any big OEM ever sold drivers head-only? The only one I can think of is Callaway with i-Mix, and that was ridiculously overpriced for just the head at the time.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist marketing has gone Harry Arnett

They're claiming the stock shafts are "Real Deal"

That's because they are. At least for the PX shafts they are. Don Brown from TT/PX has stated plenty of times before the OEM shafts are real deal offerings just not handcrafted. As stated above, same materials, design as handcrafted just mass produced in China vs handrolled in San Diego.

Too many people confuse real deal with tour issue. I see it all of the time on here.

I just watched the Tech Talk video on here and the Titleist guy says you can find these same shafts on the Tour Trucks.

I wonder how many 50 gram shafts they carry every week.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Titleist marketing has gone Harry Arnett

They're claiming the stock shafts are "Real Deal"

That's because they are. At least for the PX shafts they are. Don Brown from TT/PX has stated plenty of times before the OEM shafts are real deal offerings just not handcrafted. As stated above, same materials, design as handcrafted just mass produced in China vs handrolled in San Diego.

Too many people confuse real deal with tour issue. I see it all of the time on here.

I just watched the Tech Talk video on here and the Titleist guy says you can find these same shafts on the Tour Trucks.

I wonder how many 50 gram shafts they carry every week.

I think you're misunderstanding the point.

What they mean is that the design, profile, materials in the shafts being offered this year (as is the case with several other OEM's lately) are the same shafts you will find at aftermarket retail. In the past, companies like Titleist would approach say Mitsubishi Chemical and have them specifically change the characteristics of an aftermarket shaft to, in combination with the heads performance, fit a target audience. Most of the time that meant softening the flex, increasing the torque, adjusting the bend point or butt stiffness, etc. so that Hacker Ron doesn't actually end up with the same shaft as Brooks Koepka when he buys his 917 D3 with a D+ 70X. Titleist knows 80-90% of the market can't handle BK's shaft and it would result in poor performance of their driver. Same reason the actual loft used to be higher than the stated loft. Titleist knows guys want 8.5* heads but most can't get that loft in the air so they would stamp a 10* head at 8.5*.

What Titleist is saying this year is that they haven't dumbed-down their products. The shafts are the same as their aftermarket counterparts and the head lofts are accurate. Will you see Tiger with a Tensei AV 50 S shaft on tour? Probably not... but that doesn't mean Titleist is making false claims.

It would be nice to see a super deep face like the old 983E

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

It would be nice to see a super deep face like the old 983E

My favourite ever driver and longest I hit anything.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Managed to get down for a fitting last night after work and I am suitably impressed.

I have had a 917D2 in the bag with a Diamana D+ with 9.5 degrees of loft. I tried the TS2 and TS3. Couldn't really find myself liking the shape of the TS2 but, I was happy enough with the numbers until I tried the TS3. Initially I tried it with the Even Flow and there was a jump of 8 yards in carry distance. I then tried the Smoke and the carry distance was exactly the same but for whatever reason, I felt that I was having a hard time not hitting it left and the dispersion was not as tight.

That pretty much meant that I was decided on the Even Flow. My fitters only concern was that I was launching that at 15 degrees and sometimes it was up at 17. The shots that it was producing were good but they were just hanging in the air a little. He then wanted me to try going down to 8.5 degrees of loft. That resulted in the launch coming down a little, a little bit more ball speed and a total average carry of 12 yards on my gamer. I am going to take it out the course this weekend but I think it would be fair to say that I am sold.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Managed to get down for a fitting last night after work and I am suitably impressed.

I have had a 917D2 in the bag with a Diamana D+ with 9.5 degrees of loft. I tried the TS2 and TS3. Couldn't really find myself liking the shape of the TS2 but, I was happy enough with the numbers until I tried the TS3. Initially I tried it with the Even Flow and there was a jump of 8 yards in carry distance. I then tried the Smoke and the carry distance was exactly the same but for whatever reason, I felt that I was having a hard time not hitting it left and the dispersion was not as tight.

That pretty much meant that I was decided on the Even Flow. My fitters only concern was that I was launching that at 15 degrees and sometimes it was up at 17. The shots that it was producing were good but they were just hanging in the air a little. He then wanted me to try going down to 8.5 degrees of loft. That resulted in the launch coming down a little, a little bit more ball speed and a total average carry of 12 yards on my gamer. I am going to take it out the course this weekend but I think it would be fair to say that I am sold.

When you get a chance, match up your 915Fd against the TS fairways. My 917F2 combo was the best fairway I've ever played... until I put the TS to the test. I don't hit it further, and didn't really expect to, but the dispersion is crazy tight.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Got 75% of my order. I’ll take pics later. Playing now. Ordered TS3 9.5 hzurdus 70 6.5 and TS3 16.5 hzurdus 80 6.5 (shaft back ordered a little) TS2 8.5 75 6.5 T1100 and TS2 16.5 w 85 6.5 T1100. I’ll give updates and impressions later. I ordered my stuff late July.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

When you get a chance, match up your 915Fd against the TS fairways. My 917F2 combo was the best fairway I've ever played... until I put the TS to the test. I don't hit it further, and didn't really expect to, but the dispersion is crazy tight.

My wife might not be so happy with that suggestion there Sam! Haha. In all honestly though, I can see my 915Fd still being in the bag in ten years time. Only 3 wood that I have ever felt truly comfortable with.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I saw on tourspecgolf.com today there is a JDM version of the TS woods. Does anyone know what the key differences will be? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

For those that have commented on sound of the TS3 driver being loud... I monkeyed around with the CG throw weight yesterday in the "draw" position and the sound changed considerably. Neutral position with the CG weight delivers a very lovely sound, somewhat muted but sounds HOT. In the draw position the head resonated ALOT more and sounded a bit obnoxious. I'm sure the change in CG within the head will change the acoustics. Did not try in the fade position because I never have misses in the toe.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

I tried the TS2 & 3 on a titleist Thursday event tonight.

On looks the TS3 was the winner. On sound the TS2 was better. Up against my Epic I didn’t see enough of an improvement to make a pick. It didn’t help that I smoked the first three balls I hit with the epic...

I think I’d need to do my own fitting at a GG or something to really get a feel for the numbers and performance.

It looks better than the Epic and performs better than any previous titleist. I think it’s caught up with the Callaway’s, Taylor Made’s and Ping’s of this world. It just depends what those guys bring out in 2019.

I tried the TS2 & 3 on a titleist Thursday event tonight.

On looks the TS3 was the winner. On sound the TS2 was better. Up against my Epic I didn’t see enough of an improvement to make a pick. It didn’t help that I smoked the first three balls I hit with the epic...

I think I’d need to do my own fitting at a GG or something to really get a feel for the numbers and performance.

It looks better than the Epic and performs better than any previous titleist. I think it’s caught up with the Callaway’s, Taylor Made’s and Ping’s of this world. It just depends what those guys bring out in 2019.

Hit the TS2 and TS3 today. The 3 sounded horrible, feel was decent. The 2 sounded great, but I preferred the shape of the 3. F$%! my life.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

For those of you that thinks the TS3 sounds bad, go hit a 915D then come back and tell me how nice the TS3 sounds.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

For those of you that thinks the TS3 sounds bad, go hit a 915D then come back and tell me how nice the TS3 sounds.

For those of you that thinks the TS3 sounds bad, go hit a 915 D4 then come back and tell me how nice the TS3 sounds.

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 7S
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White S300
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White S300
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK, S300
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

For those of you that thinks the TS3 sounds bad, go hit a 915 D4 then come back and tell me how nice the TS3 sounds.

With a bag like that SJP1 I am seriously hoping that a TS2 or 3 fan come in and replace that M1 you have.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

With a bag like that SJP1 I am seriously hoping that a TS2 or 3 fan come in and replace that M1 you have.

Haha! Man that 2016 M2 isn't going anywhere I'm afraid. It dumped the D4 out the bag about six months ago because not only does it outperform it, but I've fallen in love with the sound of carbon headed drivers. Just sound/feel so much more solid than full titanium.

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 7S
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White S300
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White S300
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK, S300
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Hit the TS2 and TS3 today. The 3 sounded horrible, feel was decent. The 2 sounded great, but I preferred the shape of the 3. F$%! my life.

hot melt if you hit it good

Yep. Play it 1/2 inch short at 45 and put 3 grams of rat glue in it.

Ive got my tube ready.

How do you get the rat glue inside the head ?

I went to a fitting today and I ordered a TS2. I'm sticking with my Speeder Evo 2, so I ordered it with a Tensei AV 75 for no good reason.

The face of the TS2 inspired confidence that I was going to hit it straight, so that's what seemed to happen to me.

I guess I went in with some unrealistic expectations in ball speed gains over my 913, I assumed that since I had such an old driver that I'd pick up more speed than what i've been seeing posted on instagram. I did gain 4 mph in ball speed but I didn't expect the tighter dispersion so we'll see how it plays when I get it.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Ive got my tube ready.

On the 917 line it was through the weight port, I'd assume the same on the TS, mine will get the treatment as well!

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

Ive got my tube ready.

Weight port. It doesn’t have walls. Welll....the 917 didn’t anyway. Haven’t seen the inside of the new one yet. I’m guessing it’s the same.

Edit...I see it was answered already..

Yeah, personally for me, TS3 sounded solid. Much better than my M3 for comparison.