2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MGI Zip Navigator vs. Bag Boy Navigator Quad Remote Caddies

I'm in my early 70s and generally play 3X per week, year-round. The courses I play are not very hilly and I generally walk using a well-worn Clicart (the tread on the wheels is mostly worn off). I've had a 17-year-old Lectronic Kaddy that mostly sits around in my garageand I use the CLicart because the LK: 1) has enough power for 18 holes on the executive course but starts crapping out on our bigger course, 2) is in several pieces that I have to remember to charge, put in the trunk, unload, and assemble (as opposed to just unfolding the Cc\C), has lost some of its maneuverability and requires a lot of attention to using the remote. The LC is still a tank, but drives like one, too.

So, I should probably just stick with the CC but I do start to get tired midway through the back nine. Also, I enjoy using a remote cart (when it's working and I don't have "range anxiety"), so I'm thinking of getting a new one. Anyone have and direct experience with these two carts (I understand both are made by MGI in Australia). I like the idea of the gyroscope technology. Both seem to fold quickly and fairly compactly (I have a small trunk). The Bag Boy is more expensive but comes with a seat. It looks like the BB is sturdier, but not sure and not sure what other storage features make one better than the other.

Any input on these, pro or con, (or alternative suggestions) is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I wound up buying the MGI Zip X3. This is a non-remote version of the Zip Navigator. I opted for it when I found it on sale on Amazon. It was over $900 cheaper than the best price I could find on the Navigator. Based on my experiences with a remote on my old Lectronic Kaddy, and some of the comments about lack of control with remote controls from some posters to this forum, I decided the few times per round that the remote features were an advantage weren't enough to justify the price difference. So far, I've played two 18 hole rounds with the X3 and are very happy with it. Here are my reactions:

First, I was concerned about fitting the cart and my bag into my smallish trunk. No problem at all. Reversing the wheels is easy and leaves me more depth for the bag than I have with my Clicart. It folds and unfolds very in a few seconds. It also is a little heavier than the CC.

I played my first round on my home course. Not very hilly. I mostly chose a speed (1-9... usually 4 or 5) by turning the dial and then pushing the dial button to start and again when I wanted to stop. Easy to get the hang of it. Occasionally I would set the dial to have the cart go forward from 5 to 60 yards. I used this if I wanted to send the cart toward the next tee while I went in another direction to putt. I was careful and didn't send it too far away lest it veer off course too much. By the end of the round I definitely felt less tired walking up the 18th fairway. The cart is very quiet. All-in-all, I enjoyed walking without pushing and was very pleased with the cart. 3 (of 4) bars were still showing after the round.

I was so jazzed with my round on Friday that I decided to use the cart to let me walk during my round at Bodega Harbour Golf Links on Monday. This is a very hilly course that starts out going uphill to about 600 feet for a long par five fifth hole that heads back down. The rest of the course has lots of uphill, downhill, and side hill lies. 16 & 17 are at sea level in an area below the dunes with the Pacific Ocean on the other side. I probably first played it over 25 years ago and maybe 10-12 times in total. I always take a riding cart, and never thought about walking it until yesterday. I was cool and overcast with not too much wind, so encouraged by the X3 I thought I'd try it... at least walk the front nine and see (the guy in the pro-shop suggested that I take a riding cart for the front and walk the back because it is an easier walk). I decided to give it a shot with the X3 on 1 and never looked back. I do some hiking and this was not much different. My two playing partners were in a riding cart, and while they often beat me to my ball, I basically kept up. The moguls on this links course meant that I had to steer a little more than on a flat surface, but once I got the hang, it was like hiking. With the swiveling front wheels, turning the cart was easy. Once I got to the 5th tee box and looked down on the ocean & the course, I knew I had it made. I was tired after the long uphill haul from 18 to the car, but felt some accomplishment. My long birdie putt from just off the green on 18 glanced off the flag stick and left me with a tap-in par. The readout on the X3 showed I had logged 8161 yards and I still had 3 bars left on the battery. The scenery was superb.

• Like 2

I have the Navigator. I’ve elaborated in another thread. I absolutely love it. I was really wishy-washy on the remote but I am so glad I got it. When I play it’s typically 27-36 holes and this thing is a game changer. OP the remote is simple as can be. I had the hang of it almost instantly. I use the remote much more than I thought I would. The buggy is very well put together.

Piece of advice. I use an umbrella all the time. I carry the umbrella when I have remote. If you decide to get non remote you may need to get the umbrella extension. My umbrella sits almost too low. I never thought the shaft of the umbrella was short and worked fine on Big Maxx.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I have the same questions. What I want to offer to your thread is that I had a Carttek remote control caddy for about 3 years and the remote control is great. I loved it and really miss it. I'd just send it down the middle of the fairway while I walked wherever I needed to and then send it around the green while I'm looking at my putt. So I'm searching the market again. I also tried the BatCaddy and returned it for a refund because it was a cheap piece of crap. I suspect the Carttek was also built in China, but was slightly better crap. After replacing the mother board a couple of times and the remote and the receiver and on and on, I threw in the trash after 3 years. My wife had one too and it also went into the trash after 3 years. Now I'm searching for information about the MGI and Bag Boy, which appear to be Australian as well as the Motocaddy S7 from Britain. Apparently the only cart made in America is the Kangaroo which is a pain in the backside to assemble and disassemble.

I'm the OP and as noted above, I wound up buying the non-remote MGI Zip X3. I now have over 100 miles (165km) on it. There are times, like the ones you mention, where I do miss the remote and you can still get in trouble if you don't pay attention to what you're doing with the cart, but I'm very happy with my choice, especially for the price I paid for mine.

I know that at least one website lists the MGI Navigator as being made in Autralia, but I'm not convinced. There's nothing on the machine or packaging that indicates that. The same website describes the new Motocaddy M1 as being manufactured in China. It's styling, save the battery location and single front wheel looks a lot like the Zip design of MGI. My feeling is that the MGIs are currently made in China. I don't have a take on the Bag Boy Navigators that were made for Bag Boy by MGI.

Regardless, the MDI Zip is not piece of junk. Its slick design quickly and smoothly folds and unfolds in seconds. The battery meter shows the full 4 bars after 18 (haven't played more). Hasn't tipped over (yet). So far, so good. Since the Bag Boy has been more widely distributed, there should be more golfers with more experience with it.

• 2 months later...

I have had the MGI Zip Navigator for a few months, and really love it! My golf buddy just got the BB Quad as an early Xmas present. While they both have the same motors, and use the same gyros and remotes, there are subtle differences. The quad appears to be a little more stable, although we've only played two exec course rounds with it thus far. The single wheel Zip has tipped over on me several times, although many of those were backwards when hitting unseen depressions, even with the "wheelie bar" fully extended. They really should have made that thing a couple inches longer. Another subtle difference, other than the included seat (a seat can be had for the Zip as well BTW), is that when turning the quad from a stop, then releasing the button, the cart immediately goes into forward travel mode. While on my Zip, if the cart is stopped, and you turn it, it just turns, until you release the button. It doesn't move forward until you hit the forward button. As for design, my Zip has reversible wheels, which makes it narrower when folded. However, when I do reverse them, I have to flip then when setting up the cart. My buddy just unfolds and goes. They use two different battery designs as well. The Zip has a 24v 380Wa battery, that lasts forever, while the Quad has a 12v 24amp battery (which I believe equates to about 288Wa). I can get 4-5 18 hole executive course rounds on it with a single charge. Buddy has only two rounds under his belt thus far, so no clue how long that one lasts yet. However, that being said, my remote (which appears identical to his, although mine has a belt clip included, his does not), won't make it through 2 18 hole executive course rounds. So I charge it after each round. I wasn't sure until I saw them side by side, but I definitely like the looks of my Zip better than the quad, but I've never been a fan of the looks of 4 wheel push carts anyway, as they look like baby buggies to me.... LOL Oh, and he found a combination of black Friday deals on the Quad via Amazon, and Amazon credit, that reduced the net price to $1609!! So, it was about the same that I paid for the Zip. We both decided that we would like to be able to combine the features of both carts into another model, and it would be perfect! He prefers the way mine turns without automatically going forward (when not already in motion), along with my reversible wheels, as do I. Hope this helps....

I'm in my early 70s and generally play 3X per week, year-round. The courses I play are not very hilly and I generally walk using a well-worn Clicart (the tread on the wheels is mostly worn off). I've had a 17-year-old Lectronic Kaddy that mostly sits around in my garageand I use the CLicart because the LK: 1) has enough power for 18 holes on the executive course but starts crapping out on our bigger course, 2) is in several pieces that I have to remember to charge, put in the trunk, unload, and assemble (as opposed to just unfolding the Cc\C), has lost some of its maneuverability and requires a lot of attention to using the remote. The LC is still a tank, but drives like one, too.

So, I should probably just stick with the CC but I do start to get tired midway through the back nine. Also, I enjoy using a remote cart (when it's working and I don't have "range anxiety"), so I'm thinking of getting a new one. Anyone have and direct experience with these two carts (I understand both are made by MGI in Australia). I like the idea of the gyroscope technology. Both seem to fold quickly and fairly compactly (I have a small trunk). The Bag Boy is more expensive but comes with a seat. It looks like the BB is sturdier, but not sure and not sure what other storage features make one better than the other.

Any input on these, pro or con, (or alternative suggestions) is appreciated.

Thanks for the reviews. I'm the OP and as noted above, I wound up buying a non-remote model, the MGI ZIP X3. Playing 2-3 days a week, I have put on 187 miles since getting it in mid-July! The ZIP models are a great design and I really appreciate the small package they fold up into if you reverse the wheels (optional). That's an extra step (or two) when you put it away and take it out. But that, and a new SM Sync bag means I have a commodious trunk now and the same would be true if I had gone for the ZIP Navigator over the BagBoy. Both the ZIPs and the BB are made by MGI and they make a very impressive trolley/cart.

I had a CartTek GRi-1500LTD. It was ok but had many issues that ultimately led me to return it. Unstable (it was actually shorter front to back than the non LTD version) and couldn't really use it on remote for fear of it falling over. It had the supposedly upgraded German motors that, while smaller, were very underpowered and flat out would get left in the dust by any of my buddies carts that used the larger style Chinese motors. It was also very fiddly to deal with the battery and the overall balance was very bad b/c it was originally designed to be used with lead acid battery which is much heavier.

I then bought an MGI Zip Navigator and it has been a night and day difference. The remote works so well that I mostly use it with the remote on my very hilly course. When going up a very steep slope, I will hold the handle so that it doesn't roll on the 4th wheel out the back and loose traction. The gyro system works great. The battery system is amazing and I've only ever seen it go down 1 bar of 4. That I can just charge the remote and it stores easily under the handle is great. It folds down very small and I could get it and my golf bag in the back of my Subaru Outback without even folding down any seat (its not a big wagon) and with some bags and blankets back there too that we just keep in the car. I'd buy the MGI again in a second and highly recommend it. The build quality is great. My understanding is that MGI moved to the Zip series from the Quad series that Bag Boy still sells so the current Zip series is their new stuff. I think it hits a great balance of size vs capability. Its possible the quads might be slightly more sure footed but I've got no issues with the Zip and for what I do use the handle for, its reasonable and I wouldn't expect it to do it alone.

My only suggestions would be to make it have the umbrella mount slightly higher. It works for me but I do sometimes bump my head on the umbrella. I may try the extension. I do have 4lb of weight in the front of my bag to give it a bit of help keeping the nose down (I use neoprene hand weights, 2 of the 2lb variety). I also wish the would update the rain hood. It fits ok, but the bag it come in doesn't really fit the setup being a 3 wheels on the Zip vs 4 on the former quads. I just used a bungie around my bag to hold it as it just dangled with nothing except the top loop to hold it. The rain hood on the bag in rain works great, the Zips still have the mount points for the hood.

Buy a Zip Navigator if you want remote or regular Zip if you don't. Nicest power cart I've ever seen and a dream to drive. BTW, the downhill braking is phenomenal. Most other carts I've seen take off and then slow down, this just goes the right speed downhill from the get go. Its like a freaking billy goat.

• 3 weeks later...

My only suggestions would be to make it have the umbrella mount slightly higher. It works for me but I do sometimes bump my head on the umbrella. I may try the extension.

Great observations, and I share all of them! Question, where did you find the umbrella extension? Sure would be nice if I could get it about 8-12" higher.... Also, good suggestion about weighting down the front of your golf bag! I'll give that a try!

I got the extension from MGI Golf's website. It was like $25 + shipping. I don't think I'm going to use mine (never used it so far, just tried to make sure it fit right, which it does). I have a slightly longer umbrella that I think will do the trick for me. If you are interested, PM me and I will sell you mine for $20 + shipping (which my wife can do from her work very cheaply).

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about the MGI Zip Navigator and am wondering if you guys who have one still like it. Costco is selling them now for $1599, but in true Costco fashion it includes $233 worth of extras including seat, case etc. I had a cheap electric cart several years ago and sold it after 10 rounds or so it was such a pain. This one looks pretty solid.

https://www.costco.com/MGI-Zip-Navigator-Electric-Golf-Cart-Bundle.product.100476579.html

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I'm the OP and posted here a few times already. Have the non-remote MGI Zip X3 since mid-July last year and have 260 miles on it. Been a smooth operator with no problems so far. Might have gone with the Navigator if Costco sold it when I was in the market for one, although I don't really miss the remote. The free accessories including the seat make it a slightly better deal than others I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the zip Navigator last year for my 50th birthday in late September. I got approximately 10 rounds of golf on it before the end of our golf season. Overall I absolutely love it except for a couple of times where I accidentally tipped it over because I was too far away and didn't notice that there was a side slope that caused it to steer into a sand trap it has been a Flawless performer.

One question I have for those of you using the MGI zip models is do you notice that their motor make sound or rather the wheels/transmission make a sound is a little bit grinding in nature. This happened since day one so I do not attribute it to it falling over. And the performance of the device has been Flawless in spite of this noise. Perhaps it is normal but I am not sure.

I have the MGI Zip X3 (one motor, no remote) model with about 270 miles on it. I used to have a clunky old Lectronic Caddy that was so loud it would practically scare people. I always felt the Zip was very quiet, but wanted to use it again and listen for any sounds that might be like what you're describing. I had it out for a round today and and was again impressed by how quiet it is. Near the end took a short video with my mobile which I'll post here if I figure it out. About the only thing you hear is some bag chatter/clicking. Otherwise it is very quiet.

I would say that a pronounced grinding sound is abnormal and should be checked out.

• 2 months later...

I finally pulled the plug and went with the Costco deal. Can't wait to get it. I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews. I have yet to hear anyone say that they would not buy one again. As far as some noise, you may want to take the wheels off and clean the axles, then lubricate with petroleum jelly. That's what MGI suggests.

> @fazmanicg said:

> I finally pulled the plug and went with the Costco deal. Can't wait to get it. I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews. I have yet to hear anyone say that they would not buy one again. As far as some noise, you may want to take the wheels off and clean the axles, then lubricate with petroleum jelly. That's what MGI suggests.

You got Navigator??

Ignorant ?...I have access to a Costco account through my wife's office, but don't go very much. Is there some kind of "no questions asked" return policy? If I buy one of the Navigators and don't like it after taking it out on the course....can I return it to Costco for a money back refund? Thanks for the replies.

> @tannerdc said:

> Ignorant ?...I have access to a Costco account through my wife's office, but don't go very much. Is there some kind of "no questions asked" return policy? If I buy one of the Navigators and don't like it after taking it out on the course....can I return it to Costco for a money back refund? Thanks for the replies.

Yes you can. Costco will let you return just about anything other than software. There is a list of the most outrageous returns at Costco that include the bones and a little meat from a roasted chicken. I'm much more timid than my wife in this matter and I leave all returns up to her. We've taken many things back that we were disappointed in without any issues from Costco. One time my wife took a patio umbrella back when the folding mechanism broke. I wouldn't do it as the fabric was sun bleached and we had it for at least a year.

Costco is a very risk-free place to buy just about anything.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 1 month later...

Thinking about the MGI Zip Navigator deal at Costco (still appears available). Those of you who have the Navigator, who common is it to have it tip? My club has a few holes with slopes, and I dread having a yard sale in front of my buddies or other groups. Thanks.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

> @carrera said:

> Thinking about the MGI Zip Navigator deal at Costco (still appears available). Those of you who have the Navigator, who common is it to have it tip? My club has a few holes with slopes, and I dread having a yard sale in front of my buddies or other groups. Thanks.

Here is what I've learned. When going up a hill, face the hill head on and go slow. Extend the fourth wheel. On severely sloped hills, I hold onto it while it does all the heavy lifting. Get it, you won't be sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks...so basically pay attention when traversing sloped areas. Just like I had to do with my old namesake car on sloped driveways...go diagonal. :)

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 3 weeks later...

> @carrera said:

> Thanks...so basically pay attention when traversing sloped areas. Just like I had to do with my old namesake car on sloped driveways...go diagonal. :)

I bought the Costco Zip Navigator in the end of May and haven't regretted it since. Best tip, like someone else said, go up the hill straight, slow, and i always unfold the wheelie bar / extend it to the fullest. I've seen where the cart can get a little top heavy and do a wheelie even on flat surface. So going uphill is a no brainer. I also stand behind it and sometimes hold the handle when going up hill, just to prevent any tipping / falling. When I first used the cart, my cart did tip over on a hill, but it was a dirt hill (before the fairway) and felt so embarrassed. Lost a few golf balls from that. hahaha. The speed was just a tad too fast and the dirt road made the wheels lose grip.

I did have the a few pushcarts before this, then upgraded my cart with the Ewheels that was created a few seasons back. While it did do a great job with being a motorized cart, I just lost so much trunk space from the whole setup. Now I've got everything in one and from Costcos!

Last tip, The attachments from Clicgear still work (The ones that clip to the rounded stubs). I used the rangerfinger pouch on it. I found the score card hold from MGI is pretty worthless. I also added a pouch under the bag (in between the cart and bag) as there is so much waste space in there. I'm able to put a good number of things in there for storage, (water, food, clothes, etc).

Enjoy the cart! I know I sure do.

> @MaitriMike said:

> > @carrera said:

> > Thanks...so basically pay attention when traversing sloped areas. Just like I had to do with my old namesake car on sloped driveways...go diagonal. :)

>

> I bought the Costco Zip Navigator in the end of May and haven't regretted it since. Best tip, like someone else said, go up the hill straight, slow, and i always unfold the wheelie bar / extend it to the fullest. I've seen where the cart can get a little top heavy and do a wheelie even on flat surface. So going uphill is a no brainer. I also stand behind it and sometimes hold the handle when going up hill, just to prevent any tipping / falling. When I first used the cart, my cart did tip over on a hill, but it was a dirt hill (before the fairway) and felt so embarrassed. Lost a few golf balls from that. hahaha. The speed was just a tad too fast and the dirt road made the wheels lose grip.

>

> I did have the a few pushcarts before this, then upgraded my cart with the Ewheels that was created a few seasons back. While it did do a great job with being a motorized cart, I just lost so much trunk space from the whole setup. Now I've got everything in one and from Costcos!

>

> Last tip, The attachments from Clicgear still work (The ones that clip to the rounded stubs). I used the rangerfinger pouch on it. I found the score card hold from MGI is pretty worthless. I also added a pouch under the bag (in between the cart and bag) as there is so much waste space in there. I'm able to put a good number of things in there for storage, (water, food, clothes, etc).

>

> Enjoy the cart! I know I sure do.

Can you share a pic of the pouch you are using and how it is attached? - I was looking to do the same thing since there is a lot of room for it behind the bag. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the pics are clear. Just added some hooks / Velcro straps and found a bag through amazon. Added some metal holes so the clips can hook up easily when taking on and off. :)

avnm3bl9jsxc.jpeg

tj99z8y58gaa.jpeg

u6q31ewbqq3k.jpeg

tm53v5jbd6al.jpeg

> @fazmanicg said:

> > @MaitriMike said:

> > > @carrera said:

> > > Thanks...so basically pay attention when traversing sloped areas. Just like I had to do with my old namesake car on sloped driveways...go diagonal. :)

> >

> > I bought the Costco Zip Navigator in the end of May and haven't regretted it since. Best tip, like someone else said, go up the hill straight, slow, and i always unfold the wheelie bar / extend it to the fullest. I've seen where the cart can get a little top heavy and do a wheelie even on flat surface. So going uphill is a no brainer. I also stand behind it and sometimes hold the handle when going up hill, just to prevent any tipping / falling. When I first used the cart, my cart did tip over on a hill, but it was a dirt hill (before the fairway) and felt so embarrassed. Lost a few golf balls from that. hahaha. The speed was just a tad too fast and the dirt road made the wheels lose grip.

> >

> > I did have the a few pushcarts before this, then upgraded my cart with the Ewheels that was created a few seasons back. While it did do a great job with being a motorized cart, I just lost so much trunk space from the whole setup. Now I've got everything in one and from Costcos!

> >

> > Last tip, The attachments from Clicgear still work (The ones that clip to the rounded stubs). I used the rangerfinger pouch on it. I found the score card hold from MGI is pretty worthless. I also added a pouch under the bag (in between the cart and bag) as there is so much waste space in there. I'm able to put a good number of things in there for storage, (water, food, clothes, etc).

> >

> > Enjoy the cart! I know I sure do.

>

> Can you share a pic of the pouch you are using and how it is attached? - I was looking to do the same thing since there is a lot of room for it behind the bag. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been researching the Zip Navigator for a few months now and decided that if I want to get it I'm going to use golf winnings or money I've made working at the course rather than tap into our family account. Its not an affordability issue but if I drop near $1700 on a golf toy it will be a green light for my wife to go crazy on crafting supplies and that could be my ruin.

I've told my buddies about it and last week I sent the Costco link to one of my regular partners and he ordered one that night. He got it Monday and used it Tuesday. Aside from a learning curve on steering and navigating hills and bumps he had a great time with it. He only tipped it over once while driving on a side hill, and only crashed into one sign and one player (me.) He said it was really enjoyable not having to push, and on our course tomorrow I'm interested in seeing how it handles some of the fairly steep uphill holes.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs