Wisconsin Classic Woods & Blades 2018

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in this also... I don't have a great vintage set... but I could work my way around with a minimalist persimmon and blade setup

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Just a reminder: September 15th is the date for the outing. I need an "official headcount" to make the tee times, so please PM me and confirm your attendance by 8/31. last year we had 7, so lets try to double that number this year!

The is a fun day / outing, so please feel free to bring clubs to swap / lend / giveaway if you are so inclined. There are no rules for playing in the outing, other than you should try to play wood "woods" & blades or prehistoric cavity-backs if possible to be in the spirit of things. I am sure that there will be more than enough clubs there for everyone to be properly outfitted.

We have not made a scouting trip to the course in Delavan yet, but expect to in a couple of weeks. I will also check with Beaver Dam Country Club when baloo & I play there on 8/4. Anyone who is able is welcomed to join the two of us on that date as well. Just PM me so I can get your phone number for txt messaging purposes.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks!

Doug

:golfer:

Update: New Course Option - Lake Lawn Resort.

The course was built in 1921, and redesigned in1990:

First opened in 1921, Lake Lawn Resort’s championship golf course is one of the Midwest’s premier golf destinations. It’s one of the most scenic courses with a beautiful view of Delavan Lake, and is conveniently located in the Lake Geneva area. Set amid over 250 lush, tree-lined acres, and two miles of shoreline, the course was masterfully re-engineered in 1990 by renowned architect Dick Nugent of Kemper Lakes fame. Best known for its stately oaks, deep sand bunkers and subtle undulations; each hole is set with multiple tee boxes for players of all abilities. The greens at Majestic Oaks are often the topic of conversation in the Clubhouse Sports Bar & Grill because of their many tiers.

The Majestic Oaks Golf Course, Majestic Oaks Clubhouse, and the Clubhouse Sports Bar & Grill are open to guests, members, and visitors daily. Our Pro Shop is stocked with equipment, accessories, and apparel from leading names such as Titleist, Adidas, Nike, Under Armour, and more. Contact our Pro Shop for help with tournament coordination, and group play.

Dress code for our course is collared shirts and slacks or tailored shorts (no denim). Soft spikes only, please (available at our Pro Shop if needed).

Please check it out at: https://www.lakelawnresort.com/golf/

:golfer:

Just a reminder: September 15th is the date for the outing. I need an "official headcount" to make the tee times, so please PM me and confirm your attendance by 8/31. last year we had 7, so lets try to double that number this year!

The is a fun day / outing, so please feel free to bring clubs to swap / lend / giveaway if you are so inclined. There are no rules for playing in the outing, other than you should try to play wood "woods" & blades or prehistoric cavity-backs if possible to be in the spirit of things. I am sure that there will be more than enough clubs there for everyone to be properly outfitted.

We have not made a scouting trip to the course in Delavan yet, but expect to in a couple of weeks. I will also check with Beaver Dam Country Club when baloo & I play there on 8/4. Anyone who is able is welcomed to join the two of us on that date as well. Just PM me so I can get your phone number for txt messaging purposes.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks!

Doug

:golfer:Doug - I am in if you can get an early tee time. I need to be off the course early afternoon. I've also got a true "Hoganista" (Alan's equal) that is very interested. I'm also going to check with neighbor who played with us last year. Hope to have firm answers for you towards the end of next week. Scott

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I am sad to announce that I am no longer able to attend this years outing. I have decided to curtail my involvement and end my golf season at this time. Hope to get out one more time with Baloo in a couple of weeks, but that will pretty much be it for me. Nothing overly serious, just life & work stuff.

So I did not get down to check out those courses and have made no tee times for 9/15. Anyone who is willing to pickup the reins and organize something is welcomed to.

I am hoping next season, when things settle down for me in the off-season, that we can do multiple outings at Beaver Dam Country Club for anyone who can make it. Smaller groups but more frequent. Anyway, hope everyone who expressed interest has a great fall and is able to connect with other vintage players in their area. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Update: I am sad to announce that I am no longer able to attend this years outing. I have decided to curtail my involvement and end my golf season at this time. Hope to get out one more time with Baloo in a couple of weeks, but that will pretty much be it for me. Nothing overly serious, just life & work stuff.

So I did not get down to check out those courses and have made no tee times for 9/15. Anyone who is willing to pickup the reins and organize something is welcomed to.

I am hoping next season, when things settle down for me in the off-season, that we can do multiple outings at Beaver Dam Country Club for anyone who can make it. Smaller groups but more frequent. Anyway, hope everyone who expressed interest has a great fall and is able to connect with other vintage players in their area. Sorry for any inconvenience.

No apologies necessary - life and health issues are becoming more paramount for many of us. Hope the off-season helps settle out the various issues so that 2019 can bring a great golf season for you.

Bob

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Best of luck, Doug. I'm sorry to hear you can't make it.

I'm happy to organize if there's interest in a meeting. PM me or reply if you can still play in the Southern Wisconsin area that day.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have one foursome booked for the morning of 9/15. If you haven't contacted me, but would like to play, please contact me ASAP and I'll reserve another tee time.

Here is where we're playing

https://www.lakelawnresort.com/golf/

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

RECAP

Smorg, Mudpack, and I played a round this morning in terrific weather. We were hoping for more than 3, but the day was a ton of fun and well worth the drive.

I played a bullseye, 54 Spalding Synchro Dyned irons, and Byron Nelson laminates. Mudpack had M75 irons and 653 woods. Smorg had some split soles and Mac woods (forget the model) and what looked like a flange bullseye.

The course was originally built in 1921, had mature trees, and played well with persimmons from about 6100 yards at the back tees. 5700 from the whites.

At the end of the round we exchanged arbitrarily awarded "prizes", each of us brought one to share and left with a different one. I'm not sure what Smorg and I got prizes for, but we do know Mudpack was awarded his for being the cart path King, hitting about 7 of them throughout the round. Smorg had an early lead in that category but faded down the stretch.

As luck would have it, I played my best round of the year shooting an even par 70. I've played so little this year it was a pleasant surprise to play that well. Most of the credit goes to my putter - I only needed 25 putts for the day. Ball striking was good in parts but bad for other stretches. I completely chunked 4 or 5 irons shots, so some work for me to do there.

Bottom line, it's fantastic to meet more vintage junkies. Between meetings the last two years I've met 5 classic club players within a few hours of me.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

Thanks for the recap baloo! Makes me sad that I didn't get to play any vintage rounds this year as I had wanted to get games in at both Stanley Thompson courses in my area; Dunnville G&CC and Niagara-on-the-Lake GC. A beautiful pair of nine hole courses ideally suited to vintage play with their 1920's era parkland layouts. Both play around 5700 yards for men and are nicely walkable with little in the way of elevation change and an efficient back and forth layout.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Don't forget to post some pictures from the outing.

!.700 miles was too much travel to get there. Although We have a municipal golf course near the center of the City which was built in 1915, stretched to 6300 yards from the back with 4 sets of tees. Also a nine hole course right across the street from the regulation 18.

When I first started playing golf there, persimmon woods were still prevalent then.