2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mickelson hitting putt while ball was still moving?

Bomber_11

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst part of all this is that Chamblee and Co. won't shut up about it. They've been talking about this for 30 min now. He's nearly DFL, lets talk about the contenders.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

No DQ...14.5. Those claiming 1.2 don't know what their talking about. They got it right.

Everybody gets it. People understand the semantics of the rule. A person is not a genius because they understand the difference between the two rules. It is his intent. And it was deplorable.

You're twisting his words. He never said "it was advantageous to him to not have allowed the ball to roll back down to the same position".

He said:

"At that time, I just didn't feel like going back and forth and hitting the same shot over", "I took the two-shot penalty and moved on. It's my understanding of the rules. I've had multiple times where I've wanted to do that. I just finally did."

"I just wanted to get on to the next hole, and I didn't see that happening at the time. I'd gladly take my two strokes and move on."

"In that situation, I was just going back and forth," he said. "I would gladly take the two shots over continuing that display".

Only when the interviewer specifically asked him if he knew where the ball was going to end up, did he say:

"No question, it was going to go down in the same spot behind the bunker," he said. "I wasn't going to have a shot."

So he never explicitly said what you said he did.

If you want to try to read between the lines and judge his motives, that's up to you. But when he described his motivation, he never said anything about doing it to gain an advantage.

Frankly I do not care what his motivations were. INTENTIONALLY stopping a moving ball should be an automatic DQ.

Please give me an example of where you would think it would be allowable for a player to make a stroke and intentionally stop it. And to add to that he even started he was trying to hit it back "as near the hole as possible".

I've never been a big fan but respected his game and record and treatment of the game.

Now, I guess two out of three ain't bad. ��

He hit a moving ball. That action is judged according to Rule 14-5 where the penalty is 2 strokes.

If you want it to be an automatic DQ, write to the USGA and suggest they change the rule.

David Fay has me covered. He said during the telecast that he feels it should be rewritten.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No DQ...14.5. Those claiming 1.2 don't know what their talking about. They got it right.

Everybody gets it. People understand the semantics of the rule. A person is not a genius because they understand the difference between the two rules. It is his intent. And it was deplorable.

It would not surprise me if they change that rule to 5 or more shots going forward. Mickelson has shown them some of the unethical approaches that could be applied to "take advantage."

Meh I think some need to get off their high horse. When I hear about him needing to apologize for disrespecting a major, I think the usga already sailed that ship today. Need windmills and clowns.

I get a knick out of posts on this thread. Especially the posts about all knowing what Phil's intentions really were. Lol's

Maybe you should watch Phil's post round interview, where he stated what his intentions were. Giggle Giggle.

Saw the infraction, saw the interview,

Looked like he was good with the USGA

decision. So it over, time to move on.

And yes, its funny. I enjoyed it. It was a gamble on Phil's part, but I think he liked his odds.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Can't wait until for the Masters next year and the players chipping behind the 15th green sprinting for the front of the green to hit their balls toward the hole before they go into the water.

I've seen this a few times in this thread, but I'm confused. Ball in the water is a lateral and 1-stroke penalty. Why would someone strike a moving ball, incurring a 2-stroke penalty to avoid a 1-stroke penalty?

You're twisting his words. He never said "it was advantageous to him to not have allowed the ball to roll back down to the same position".

He said:

"At that time, I just didn't feel like going back and forth and hitting the same shot over", "I took the two-shot penalty and moved on. It's my understanding of the rules. I've had multiple times where I've wanted to do that. I just finally did."

"I just wanted to get on to the next hole, and I didn't see that happening at the time. I'd gladly take my two strokes and move on."

"In that situation, I was just going back and forth," he said. "I would gladly take the two shots over continuing that display".

Only when the interviewer specifically asked him if he knew where the ball was going to end up, did he say:

"No question, it was going to go down in the same spot behind the bunker," he said. "I wasn't going to have a shot."

So he never explicitly said what you said he did.

If you want to try to read between the lines and judge his motives, that's up to you. But when he described his motivation, he never said anything about doing it to gain an advantage.

Frankly I do not care what his motivations were. INTENTIONALLY stopping a moving ball should be an automatic DQ.

Please give me an example of where you would think it would be allowable for a player to make a stroke and intentionally stop it. And to add to that he even started he was trying to hit it back "as near the hole as possible".

I've never been a big fan but respected his game and record and treatment of the game.

Now, I guess two out of three ain't bad. ��

He hit a moving ball. That action is judged according to Rule 14-5 where the penalty is 2 strokes.

If you want it to be an automatic DQ, write to the USGA and suggest they change the rule.

David Fay has me covered. He said during the telecast that he feels it should be rewritten.

I agree. It's confusing, too, because Rule 14-5 points you to Rule 1 in cases where it's intentional. And then Rule 1 points you back to rule 14-5. Which one do we listen to?

Phil essentially found a loop hole.

And the rules people seem to be picking and choosing which rule to follow.

Writing rules for golf is extremely hard. I think what we can all probably agree on in this case (including Phil), is that this wasn't the right thing to do.

They should just change the rule to hitting a moving ball on purpose to a DQ. I agree with you there.

All Phil has to do is WD, issue some statement about how integrity means everything and presto! instant fan sauce. He's already texting it wasn't his best moment, so take more control Phil...

Just imagine, then he really gets to stick it to the USGA by righting their wrong. Early escape from traffic, more time with the family...blah, blah, blah

All Phil has to do is WD, issue some statement about how integrity means everything and presto! instant fan sauce. He's already texting it wasn't his best moment, so take more control Phil...

Just imagine, then he really gets to stick it to the USGA by righting their wrong. Early escape from traffic, more time with the family...blah, blah, blah

There's money at stake here. You don't completely understand Phil.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

If Phil wants to save face, he should say that he wanted to show the USGA how flawed some of the rules are. This 2-shot loophole on intentional cheating is the definition of a flawed rule. They will now have to deal with the fallout and hopefully the fix this rule to automatic disqualification for intentional breach of the rules. If it's an accidental breach, then you could apply a less severe penalty.

I agree. It's confusing, too, because Rule 14-5 points you to Rule 1 in cases where it's intentional. And then Rule 1 points you back to rule 14-5. Which one do we listen to?

Writing rules for golf is extremely hard. I think what we can all probably agree on in this case (including Phil), is that this wasn't the right thing to do.

They should just change the rule to hitting a moving ball on purpose to a DQ.

His action met the definition of making a stroke at the ball, so it Rule 14-5. Stopping or deflecting a ball is a different action than making a stroke.

I’m not sure why one action is DQ for serious breach, but not the other.

But I don’t agree that it should be automatic DQ. There would be plenty of scenarios where it isn’t a serious breach, and 2 stroke penalty is appropriate.

Branded Chamblee just ripped him a new a**

I'll start caring about what Brandel Chamblee has to say when pigs learn to fly. Phil clearly broke the rules by hitting a moving ball but he took the appropriate 2-shot penalty and moved on. It was pretty refreshing to see a player with Phil's stature flip a big middle finger to the USGA. I can't even begin to imagine what they're going to do to Pebble Beach next year...yikes.

They should just change the rule to hitting a moving ball on purpose to a DQ.

His action met the definition of making a stroke at the ball, so it Rule 14-5. Stopping or deflecting a ball is a different action than making a stroke.

I'm not sure why one action is DQ for serious breach, but not the other.

But I don't agree that it should be automatic DQ. There would be plenty of scenarios where it isn't a serious breach, and 2 stroke penalty is appropriate.

Intentionally breaking a rule to "gain an advantage" is cheating. That's a serious breach and should be automatic DQ. I think Phil has shown the USGA a pretty flawed loophole in this rule on striking a moving ball. If you accidentally double-hit a ball (T.C. Chen), that's a hell of a different than intentionally breaking the rules like Phil did today.

Mickelson should do the honorable thing and wd. I have been a fan since he was in college and I am extremely disappointed in his choice. I was watching this with my 8 year old today and my 8 year old called him out and said Jack would not have done that (my son loves Jack because of the 86 masters highlights and will raise his putter and say yes sir when he makes a longish putt for him). I have been telling my son this week he can’t tap the ball when he puts his putter down and then he sees a pro he knows his dad likes do this. Dishonorable actions and he should have been dq’ed.

Anybody thinking Phil might receive some criticism from the fans tomorrow?

I doubt it, the ruling body made its decision, they can criticize the USGA,

I guess, but it is over, as far as this matter. But there could be a rule change in the future

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC