TaylorMade 790 OR JPX900 Forged

I have the 790s and the MP18SC ... MPs feel is the best there is, bar none. *I assume JPXs feel similar to MPs.

790s are very good irons, somehow a little more forgiving than the MPs. Good feel. good looks. good all rounder

MPs are extraordinary on every aspect... feels, looks,

MPs are making me play better, because good strikes are addictive and bad ones are punishing (on the feel side). I usually practice MPs and play 790s ... I've been playing for only 3 years and still improving.

MPs are traditional lofted; sacrifing some distance, but gaining distance consistency.

Distances ..... Based on std loft, JPX900F vs 790:

4 iron is same 21º

5i 24º vs 23.5º

6i 27º vs 26.5º

7i 31º vs 30.5º

8i to PW both have same loft.

Have 790s and mp 18 as well! Couldn't agree with your post more. I love the mp 18sc, but can't bring myself to list my 790s on the bst! I spend hours at the range hitting both! Wish I could make a dang decision!

Keep both!

MPs for those good days. 790s for those bad days that you need some extra help

As I progress I'll be playing only the MPs ... they help me become better player.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok fellas I'm currently gaming the Titleist 716 TMB irons and i do hit them quite well but I'm wanting something a little more forgiving and extra distance. I've read and watched 100 reviews and the two irons I've listed in this thread is what I have narrowed it down too. I'm going to hit them h2h when I get back from Vegas (If i lose all my money) but I was wanting to get some input on those who have hit them or are currently gaming them. Thanks a lot!

Do you want a push for Mizunos? https://Not allowed because of spam.com/the-unbelievable-story-behind-the-irons-used-to-win-the-2017-u-s-open/

*The story is about JPX900T, but ... its almost the same I guess :to_become_senile:

To me the P790 matches up more in profile with the 900 HM and the 900F is more like the 750/770. The 900 Forged seems noticeably sleeker to me and I like the sole width and grind. The P790 is a long distance iron. When I did a demo I hit them far but I found them a bit ‘heavy’ through the ground. Could definitely play them and be happy. Nice looking and legit tech.

If I had the option I would choose the 900 Forged because I think it is more nimble off a variety of lies while the 790 would hold the edge in forgiveness across the face. I would feel like the 900 Forged would be the more likely iron I would play longterm. The 790 would be a long iron replacement possibility. In Mizuno that is an MP H5.

But having hit both I found the 790 and 900F to be pretty different clubs in how they look and feel.

I have the 790s and the MP18SC ... MPs feel is the best there is, bar none. *I assume JPXs feel similar to MPs.

790s are very good irons, somehow a little more forgiving than the MPs. Good feel. good looks. good all rounder

MPs are extraordinary on every aspect... feels, looks,

MPs are making me play better, because good strikes are addictive and bad ones are punishing (on the feel side). I usually practice MPs and play 790s ... I've been playing for only 3 years and still improving.

MPs are traditional lofted; sacrifing some distance, but gaining distance consistency.

Distances ..... Based on std loft, JPX900F vs 790:

4 iron is same 21º

5i 24º vs 23.5º

6i 27º vs 26.5º

7i 31º vs 30.5º

8i to PW both have same loft.

Have 790s and mp 18 as well! Couldn't agree with your post more. I love the mp 18sc, but can't bring myself to list my 790s on the bst! I spend hours at the range hitting both! Wish I could make a dang decision!

Keep both!

MPs for those good days. 790s for those bad days that you need some extra help

As I progress I'll be playing only the MPs ... they help me become better player.

I'm currently out of town and the mp's made the trip! I'm a Mizuno fan boy, but I do like the distance on the 790s! MP's are butter tho!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

... Does anyone really believe when an iron head is multi material with a forged face, you can feel a difference in the body that never touches a ball? I would be willing to bet a years salary nobody could tell a difference between a cast or forged body in a multi material iron with a forged face.

I dont clearly understand your bet ... but I cant tell, there is a difference in feel between the Mizuno and the 790s. None are bad, only that Mizuno's are really, really addictive when you strike them good.

... If you take two identical multi material heads with a forged face but one has a forged body and the other a cast body, nobody would be able to tell the difference.

I’m not a pro. But I can clearly feel the diferente between the MP18 (full forged) vs the P790 which have only a forged face insert into the body.

... Does anyone really believe when an iron head is multi material with a forged face, you can feel a difference in the body that never touches a ball? I would be willing to bet a years salary nobody could tell a difference between a cast or forged body in a multi material iron with a forged face.

I dont clearly understand your bet ... but I cant tell, there is a difference in feel between the Mizuno and the 790s. None are bad, only that Mizuno's are really, really addictive when you strike them good.

... If you take two identical multi material heads with a forged face but one has a forged body and the other a cast body, nobody would be able to tell the difference.

I'm not a pro. But I can clearly feel the diferente between the MP18 (full forged) vs the P790 which have only a forged face insert into the body.

... I would imagine every one else can too.

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

Agree that the 790 sole is a bit wide for my liking. Also if no one can feel the difference between a one piece forging(900F) and a cast body with Forged face(790) then why do the 900F feel better? The 790 even have a muscleback shape which the 900F doesn't and the 900F still feel better. So what is it?

... Why is this so difficult to understand? Two identical multi material heads, not a one piece forged iron compared to a multi material face forged iron. If there were two P790 irons and one had a forged body and the other a cast body and both had forged face, nobody could tell the difference.

Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

I currently have full sets of both the 790 and the 900F. I need to sell one set as it just feels wrong to have both. Problem is I really enjoy both sets and could live very happily with either. 790 are a bit longer and slightly more forgiving when you miss it a bit out on the toe. Feel is slightly better to me with 900F (personal thing, so you can just throw that out). Just flip a coin or go with the cheaper set unless you have unlimited funds.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

I currently have full sets of both the 790 and the 900F. I need to sell one set as it just feels wrong to have both. Problem is I really enjoy both sets and could live very happily with either. 790 are a bit longer and slightly more forgiving when you miss it a bit out on the toe. Feel is slightly better to me with 900F (personal thing, so you can just throw that out). Just flip a coin or go with the cheaper set unless you have unlimited funds.

I'll just buy the 900F from you for let's say... $500? Lol

Agree that the 790 sole is a bit wide for my liking. Also if no one can feel the difference between a one piece forging(900F) and a cast body with Forged face(790) then why do the 900F feel better? The 790 even have a muscleback shape which the 900F doesn't and the 900F still feel better. So what is it?

... Why is this so difficult to understand? Two identical multi material heads, not a one piece forged iron compared to a multi material face forged iron. If there were two P790 irons and one had a forged body and the other a cast body and both had forged face, nobody could tell the difference.

I’m not aware of any forged face with a forged body iron. I thought you meant full forged iron.

Why would they do a forged face insert on forged body???

Just one forged iron ..

I have recently switched from the 900 Forged to P790's...TM are more forgiving and feel is subjective, but when you middle them, both feel good. I had the irons bent to same specs, so there is no difference for me in distance. Personally, i like the looks of the 790's better.

Taylormade Sim 10.5* Diamana DF 60

Callaway XR 15* Diamana B70 

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* Fuji 904HB

Adams DHY 21* Fuji 904HB

Srixon 765 5-AW Modus 120X

Callaway MD C-grind 58*

Odyssey WHP #2

Not saying you are wrong, but it is speculation until that happens.

I think that amount of mass behind the sweet spot plays a big role in feel, which is why I mentioned that the 900F(less mass behind sweet spot) feels softer than the p790(which at least appears to have more mass behind sweet spot). If this is the case, which it appears to be, then why does the 900F feel softer? It’s either because it is a one piece forging or the looks are deceiving me and there isn’t more mass there on the p790.

... The 900F is forged from one piece of metal and it also has more mass in the sweet spot. The P790 is a very thin faced multi material iron and foam, that obviously gives, does not qualify as mass. But all of this irrelevant to my original post which addressed the couple people that said a forged face and a cast body is not a forged iron and they would never play one. It has been stated many times here at WRX on many different threads. I have only played MB's and forged CB's for over 40 years now so multi material was new to me with AP2's and then Amp Forged and finally P790's. Of course they do not have the dense feel of a solid forging but I couldn't care less what the body is made of. I do think a forged face is the reason these irons are so consistent. I have had many conversations with design engineers from most of the OEM's and none of them have ever thought about forging the body on a mutli material head with a thin forged face because it would just be a waste of time and money.

Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"