2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

Just picked up approximately 27yds

Old: G30 LST 10.5* big "+"

NEW: G400 max 9* big "+"

Both w/same exact Tour 65 Ping shaft

Thats alot of meat boys

Well then, to what do you attribute the 27 yard gain ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

�� Thats alot of meat boys

WAY less spin with same launch & increased ballspeed

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Some rudimentary calculations with flightscope reveal that at 100 or 110 swing speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Spinning a LOW spin head like the G30LST @ a rather HIGH spin rate of ~3500 RPMs and the new higher spinning head G400MAX @ a rather LOW spin rate of ~ 2000 RPMs produces a total of about 25 more yards (Total).

So then assuming, especially with the same shaft, your swing speed and therefore your ball speed shouldn't/wouldn't change much, if at all, how would you suppose you reduced your spin rate ~1500 RPM with what is a higher spin head ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Some rudimentary calculations with flightscope reveal that at 100 or 110 swing speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Spinning a LOW spin head like the G30LST @ a rather HIGH spin rate of ~3500 RPMs and the new higher spinning head G400MAX @ a rather LOW spin rate of ~ 2000 RPMs produces a total of about 25 more yards (Total).

So then assuming, especially with the same shaft, your swing speed and therefore your ball speed shouldn't/wouldn't change much, if at all, how would you suppose you reduced your spin rate ~1500 RPM with what is a higher spin head ?

Lower loft{neither are digital loft} so I don't know true loft - but G30 has more for sure. I don't know the SW either, but I had the 12g weight in the G30. They both certainly felt the same on waggle.

Ballspeed had to increase from >5mph increase in ss I assume.

We hit into the wind just to confirm{carried the max farther every single shot}

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

It is also possible that with the GMAX he’s hitting the ball in a better face position. As some call it, the sweet spot

It is also possible that with the GMAX he’s hitting the ball in a better face position. As some call it, the sweet spot

Hey now....

Solid they were

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

Lower loft{neither are digital loft} so I don't know true loft - but G30 has more for sure. I don't know the SW either, but I had the 12g weight in the G30. They both certainly felt the same on waggle.

Ballspeed had to increase from >5mph increase in ss I assume.

We hit into the wind just to confirm{carried the max farther every single shot}

Well, originally you said "same launch" but even if there's a degree of 2 difference it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Raw ball speed would have to increase by about 15 MPH for an additional 27 yards at the same spin rate. Seems unlikely the MAX with the same shaft REDUCED your spin rate much (if at all).

Something doesn't add up. For someone to gain that much distance with ONLY a different head, never mind one that "naturally" spins MORE that the other, seems rather unlikely.

But if you're happy with your MAX, more power to you,,,,,,,,,,, :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

I played my first round with the G400 max today. I don't understand what all the buzz is about. It was ok. I didn't find it particularly long or forgiving compared to my latest drivers. Maybe takes some getting used to but didn't find it anything special. I am a big Ping fan and wanted to love it but just didn't see it.

There's always hype here. But in truth most modern drivers are more similar than different.

I have a G400 Max and like it a lot, but I also liked my previous Callaway Fusion and before that my Cobra LTD.

My LM numbers are similar for all of them.

On course, I've hit some of my longest recent drives with the Ping, but no longer than I have before.

It's all about the strike.

The GMax may be a little more forgiving, but the others were no slouch.

I'd only expect drastic differences if your previous driver was utterly wrong for you.

This.

Plus I'm a huge fan of simple designs that look advanced. Flat black, silver and copper, visible CG/aero tech that's not painted Neon. I like all my clubs to have that stealth,advanced feel. G400 max looks the part, and performs as well as any other.

I'm all for the look of these drivers, but I dont really see how you can say it's a simple design. It has a large profile and the dragonfly tech all over the crown. I'm not arguing that it doesn't have all types of neon on it, but this is far from simple.

Pick up a cobra LTD black...that's simple.

lol i get you. . . . i more mean it has to have those two elements be the most important things.. . . so it looks "advanced" with the dragonfly, etc. But also "simple" in the color choice with the flat black

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

It is also possible that with the GMAX he's hitting the ball in a better face position. As some call it, the sweet spot

He's a 2 handicap. If he was comparing off center hits to ON center hits I'm sure he would have said so.

Titleist Pro V1X

I would just like to point out that the CG of the G400 MAX is lower than the G30LST so depending on strike this could lead to some lower spin. I wouldn't say that the G30LST is "naturally" lower spinning than a G400MAX. But to gain 25yards by lowering launch and spin both with a head with higher MOI , not that crazy. Especially Total yards not carry.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I would just like to point out that the CG of the G400 MAX is lower than the G30LST so depending on strike this could lead to some lower spin. I wouldn't say that the G30LST is "naturally" lower spinning than a G400MAX. But to gain 25yards by lowering launch and spin both with a head with higher MOI , not that crazy. Especially Total yards not carry.

I was going to say the same.... I hit the 10* LST and the Max with the same shaft and was getting very comparable numbers spin wise.. 1800-2000. The Max was launching higher and carrying further. The Max spins lower than you'd expect, it's a phenomenal driver.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I Have had the PING G400 Max in the bag for 2months now.

Honeymoon over and......

I love this club even more. Hitting wedges into the greens on long par 4's and 5 & 6 irons onto par 5's, and I am not a big hitter.

This club has changed my game.

The forgiveness has enabled me to have the confidence to swing harder at the ball.

From what I’ve seen, the Max often seems to spin as low as, or lower than, the LST heads. Seems odd to me, but that’s my experience. Small sample size though.

I was going to say the same.... I hit the 10* LST and the Max with the same shaft and was getting very comparable numbers spin wise.. 1800-2000. The Max was launching higher and carrying further. The Max spins lower than you'd expect, it's a phenomenal driver.

This.

So, I've been following the hype on the 400 max for a while and decided to pull the trigger. I had a chance to hit some range balls yesterday before the rain came.

I compared it against the 10.5 M1 that I've been playing with an Aldila Tour Green. I ordered the Ping at 10.5 with the Tour 65 Shaft.

It looks like the 400 max goes higher and longer. The two things that stand out- As others have mentioned, it does not move much offline, at all. Another thing that surprised me- I was hitting into a pretty strong wind, and it just went right through it. No ballooning at all.

I"m going to put in play for a while and see how things go. I played some of the best golf of my life with the older Ping G2, so I'm looking forward to using a Ping driver again.

You guys getting low spin (1800-2400) how fast are your swing speeds?

Im at 114-117 and couldnt get the 9 degree turned to 8 with tour 65 xstiff to spin much under 3000. I also dont usually struggle with high spin. Hit up 3-5 degrees. 1 capp so know my strike locations and effects of so.

I'm roughly within the same numbers. Kuro Kage xstiff might be something to look into. Although, i initially was looking to get the Max, my fitter suggested to go with the LST, which kept my dispersion tighter

Huge proponent of cutting down drivers to a shorter length and wanted to try a G400 Max. I found one in the extreme. 43 inch Driver in 10 degrees in the trade in bin.

The club was stupid easy to hit and still long on poor hits. Not sure I would go down that low in length on my own driver (I like them at 44 inches), but damn that club was fun to hit.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Huge proponent of cutting down drivers to a shorter length and wanted to try a G400 Max. I found one in the extreme. 43 inch Driver in 10 degrees in the trade in bin.

The club was stupid easy to hit and still long on poor hits. Not sure I would go down that low in length on my own driver (I like them at 44 inches), but damn that club was fun to hit.

Thanks for the info. My shaft should be here tomorrow. I’m going to set it up at 44

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Never thought in almost 60 years of this game I would be surprised.

Went to a fitting for new Mizuno's HM irons. I do love the nippon Modus 120 big time. On a lark I asked the pro to drag along a Max 10.5 with something stiff in it. It was the alta 55S.

Got through with irons and picked my Epic SZ 10, playing at 44.5 with a Tensei Blue S. Pretty good downwind less than 10mph but not by much. Range is very slightly down hill to 200 flag and then flat from 200-230+ flat and significantly up hill from there up.

Hit maybe 4 balls with the SZ landing somewhere on the flat section. Hit 10 with the Max. First 5 landing at the back of the flat part 220+ carry and the last 5 on the uphill side like hitting a wall. The flight was easily 2 times the SZ in height which aided the distance of the Max to some degree. Every single shot went exactly over the same target point. I frankly, was immediately comfortable and just let fly which helped the last 5 in distance. Like the distance, absolutely will buy one for the control which is amazing.

Lot's of hype on this driver. Tempting to get on a launch monitor next week. I am currently playing a 16' M2 -10.5 with an aldila silver 70s. I am launching that a bit high but my misses are right. should I Look to a 9 degree Max as a starting point ? Also, how does the Tour 75 shaft compare to the Aldila ?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][i][i][img]https://static.golfonline.co.uk/media/logos/taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[/img][/i] [size=4][sub][color=#000000][b]2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Silver 70S[/b][/color][/sub][/size][/i][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/ksfSEag.png[/img][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font][/size][/i][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][b][color=#000000]915 F2 16.5[/color][/b] [/i][color=#000000][b][i]Diamana Blue Board 70[/i][/b][/color][/font][/size][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][size=3][color=#000000][img]https://i.imgur.com/ksfSEag.png[/img][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]H1 3 - Aldila Rogue[/font][/color][/size][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][size=4][sub][i][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/iDRdfVu.png[/img][/i] [size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]900 Forged 4-GW Project XLZ 5.5[/color][/font][/size][/i][/sub][/size][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/jWakdRa.png[/img][/i] [/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]54S & 60M X100 [/b][/font][/size][b]SS1[/b][/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font]
[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZSoHrb9.png[/img][/i][/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][i]AOP Newport 2[/i][/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font]