2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I REALLY didn't need any more irons, but..... . I was planning on the TS1s, and while contemplating the purchase, the $400 prebuilt set went out of stock, so.... back to the drawing board. After hours of reading up on the TS2s, MMBs, PTMs, TEs, DBMs, and whatever other 2/3 letter acronym Maltby uses, finally pulled the trigger on the prebuilt set of TS2s. While at it, ordered a 54 and 60 TSW wedges to finish up the rest of the bag.

My last 3 sets of irons I've played (and still have) are: Ping S58s, Wilson Fi5s, and Adams XTD Pro (non-forged). Can't wait to see how the TS2s compare....

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Almost waited too long to pick up a set of the TS-2S pre-assembled set. Ill pull the shafts and send them to ebay. I bought the last set they had.

Speaking of shafts im wildly stoked that the new Xcaliber Xclusivs showed up. They look wild. I've never seen a shaft look as good as these.

The translucent i8 and i9 are an improved PRO X and the red to black fade is wicked.

20200624-153524.jpg

20200624-153532.jpgCannot wait to hit these...

• Like 1

So I had posted in this thread a week or two about buying the TS1s with the KBS 105 Stiff .370 shafts. Terrible first date, tried to return them but Golfworks won't accept them back since I had the lie angle bent on them. The shafts were a complete no to me from the beginning, so I tossed the heads into a set of PX 6.0 flighted shafts from my old set.

After two rounds with my swing not playing along...have just been playing too much golf and back is getting worn out...I am really liking them.

I've played the PTM Forged with the 6.0 Flighted shafts for the last two seasons and a few things stand out to me.

I can work the ball again. Thank goodness. The PTMs go very straight, very hard to get them to move one way or the other. Tonight I had to hit a giant hook with my 5 iron that would not have been possible with the PTMs. With my worn out, jacked up swing put it right on line just short of the green. Just beautiful... would not have been possible with the PTMs. Also, have hit a number of fades with the 4 iron when behind trees and such over the last month or two (bought a lone 4 iron before the full set) and have hit my fade trouble shots on line every time. Loving it.Felt normal turf interaction. The PTMs have really wide soles with a lot of bounce. That is why I bought them at the time. I have always been a steep swinger so thought they were right up my alley. I really don't feel like I hit them clean since I bought them. Hit some good shots here and there with them but the feel with the wide sole and bounce.... feels like I was using a little too much protection. Can feel everything now. The turf interaction with the TS1s is great but way more forgiving than the MP-67s I played a few years ago. Still some forgiveness in the grind, and that is important to me. There was something really weird to me about the feel of the PTMs hitting the ball/turf. Great irons but just never felt right to me.I hit the TS1s about 10 yards farther with the same shafts, at least in the long/mid irons. Started with the 4 iron and after the first shot on one of the 200 yard par threes at my course, it was evident that 4 iron goes around 200 yards with a good strike rather than 190 with the PTMs. In two rounds with the 5 iron on down, I've hit everything down to the 8 iron 10 yards longer than the PTMs. The GW sames to go the same distance as the PTM but still need to hit the 9 iron and PW.Overall I think the somewhat smaller clubheads fit me better. I love the shape of the PTMS. I hate the look of offset and with the longer heel, the PTMs look really good. They are just too big. Even with my dog poop swing the last few days, I hit all my iron shots closer to the middle of the face than I tend to with the PTMs.So just wanted to give my thoughts on the comparison between the two sets. Maltby really makes good irons. I also LOVE my TSW wedges, probably why I wanted to switch up to the TS1 irons, so if anybody is a fan I recommend taking a look at those.

Only one other thing. I am underwhelmed by Golfworks custom work. I once ordered the newer KE4 fairway wood and it made a weird squeaky sound when I swung. There was an issue with how they glued it. I think they used quick set epoxy and there was something wrong. They were adamant that that was normal and it was not defective. I had to return it under the 45 day guarantee and pay shipping to return it. Also, with my TS1 irons being bent 2* flat, there are some marks from them being bent. They are tools so I am not going to lose sleep over it, I just don't have a lot of trust in Golfworks in that regard. Still really happy with Golfworks overall.

Hope this information is helpful. If anybody has any questions let me know.

Driver - Cobra F8+ Black 11* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 76g Stiff
3 wood- TEE EX9 15*, Matrix Ozik MFS 75M4 Black Tie 75g Stiff
7 wood- Maltby UFW 21*, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 95x (-.5")
4I-GW - Maltby TS1 Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
56.12 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 7.0 Flighted (8i)
60.08 - Maltby TSW Forged, Project X 6.0 Flighted
Putter - TaylorMade Classic 79 TM-880

The standard line are available at Xcalibershafts.com. If you want the other new line send me a PM and I can send you down the right road. The new Rapid Taper irons are not coming till late August. Those things have been testing at a whole nother level. Those things are really something.

Jman has been testing the 95 S rapid tapers and he wants a set of those irons asap.... to be put in Hogans that he thinks are the best irons he has ever played... yet he is gonna change shafts already.. yah they are that good.

I think you are going to like this hybrid a lot. I have been playing the 19*(3) & 22*(4) w/ Tensei blue and they are the best hybrids I have ever hit. Solid sound and feel and the ball just launches off the face. The Tensei blue is a perfect shaft for me regarding feel and weight so the combo really works well. Most hybrids I have hit in the past have been hook machines but these go very straight. Enjoy!

20200627-160157.jpgJust unboxed the set of TS-2s pre-builts. Going to pull the KBS 105s if anyone wants a smoking deal...

Ill put in the Avalon i9 and i8s in a mixed weight set. I'll have a 75g Rapid taper in probably the 4 and 5. 85g i8 in the 6-7, 95g in the 8-9 and a 105g Spin wedge in the PW and GW. That will be fairly close to a constant weighted set. I used to do this way back when the Tour Xs came in three weights. They were so playable and added launch to the longer irons. Anyone who hit them loved the makeup. It been quite while since I've done this. Really looking forward to the results. The added heft to the wedges make them easier to half swing. Then as I go up the bag they become more of a full swing. The Rapid tapers have been unreal in long iron and hybrids so putting them in the 4 and 5 TS-2s should make them go a long darn way. This will be a fun set and certainly will have me recalculating distances. I doubt they will boot the PTMs from my bag. PTMs have just been way too good.

Ill tinker with these and see how the set make up plays out. Will more than likely eventually go to my brother.

Before I build out the TS-2s I have to throw up one more update on the PTMs.

These have baffled me as to why they seem so perfect for my game. It's possible because of the DBM finish and smaller top line i'm very comfortable with the look. That alone breeds confidence. My MMB Blacks with that sharp leading edge were killing me with fat shots. With the PTMs that fat shot is almost not even possible. Even a fat shot still gets through the turf without driving the head straight down like the MMBs did. Distance control has been a true standout. Learning the new distances was immediate, just playing by the numbers and trusting that number... has me all over the flag.

Forgiveness has been a big surprise as well. Even on not so clean strikes i seem to be finding the green. I hit these with a just the hint of a draw. Its a pretty flight that comes down sharply and stays within a few feet of the ball mark. They don't over spin either and rip back to the fairway. when you find the front of a green.

Short little checker chips has been easy. Two hops and they stop. I have been killing it on shots that miss the green. A huge reason for my great scoring. Up and downs are close to being automatic.

Shot a -2 , 69 today and didn't even feel like I played well. I believe these clubs are about as good for my game as I can get. Funny how a few months ago this set really wasn't even on my radar.

So it just goes to show you don't be afraid to try something out of your norm. Keep experimenting people.

I can agree with this entire thing. While Popeye may be close to a scratch golfer I fluctuate anywhere between 10-15 and everything he said is still true for my PTM blacks. I feel as if the blade length in itself is what gives me the confidence to hit the middle. Anyone that likes a little thinner top line and mid sole should def try out the ptms. Didn’t try them without my vibration dampening inserts but the feel is incredible with them in there. I heard talk of them discontinuing the PTM line which would be sad but if they drop in price I will be buying 2 or 3 sets of heads to have for the future for sure.

I don’t think I will ever but a new name brand set of irons ever again unless Maltby clubs as a whole just stop being sold

Ill send an email in and see if they are definitely being discontinued. If they are ill buy another set of the PTM blacks. I know another product launch of players forged irons is down the road. So maybe they are just going to make room.

About having cheap but high quality heads to buy, I can't understand why anyone would not consider a Maltby over paying 3x for an OEM.

Any chance you can elaborate on your experience with the TSW wedges?

Feel? Performance & spin? How do you like the sole grind and apparent thickness?

I've been playing a set of their Tour Grind MG for the past few years (still holding up well, great wedges) and I'm planning on ordering a set of the TSW's once they're worn out.

Anyone else than owns the TSW's, please feel free to chime in too! They look fantastic. Thanks!

• Like 1

Any chance you can elaborate on your experience with the TSW wedges?

Feel? Very subjective-- but very solid/soft feel. Much better than my MD-4. Full shots-- like any club they can give feedback on misses. I love them from 30 yds in as my confidence is ever growing with them based on feel.

Performance & spin? Grind- 58 I hit off some tight lies on our course.. the grind allows you to open it up and flop it when needed. I have used it in sand on courses with better sand than ours. Works very well. I do prefer the 54 on most sand plays- but am confident with the 58. Grooves-Plenty of spin... ball checks substantially-- I play TM TP X.

How do you like the sole grind and apparent thickness? Leading edge versatile. Grind-- Perfect IMO. I have played five separate course lately with many varied conditions. These are really a great design. The bounce works effectively when i need. I am more of a drive down and thru player on approach shots and these do very well there. I had a set of Infinite IP-3 forged wedges--two sets-- since the early 2000's that I always gravitate back to. These kicked my new MD-4 to the curb and I have not even looked at the IP-3. T

I've been playing a set of their Tour Grind MG for the past few years (still holding up well, great wedges) and I'm planning on ordering a set of the TSW's once they're worn out.

I have had SEVERAL sets of Maltby wedges thru the years. The latest being the Tour Grind MG-- I used them most of last year. These are FAR superior in FEEL, and FUNCTION IMO. The MG are good. These are OUTSTANDING.

They are a marriage of the M-series which I really liked and the Tour Grind MG. A much more versatile sole grind and superior feel of a forging like the MTF irons.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mustang, much appreciated! Huge help.

Since you've also played the Tour Grind MG, is there a noticeable difference in size/shape vs the TSW? TSW seem to be a bit more compact (based on the description/specs), which I'd welcome.

Looks like the TSW will be my next wedges. I've enjoyed the DBM finish on the MG's, I wonder if they'll offer it in the TSW eventually...

They hit all my buttons. DBM finish. Minimal graphics. Thinner top line. 4 way radius sols. Just enough forgiveness to let you get better than you deserve results. Great feel and feedback to the hamds.

People either love this iron or could quickly move on to the next design. Though it lacks the cutting edge tech of the TS line... thats is just fine with me.

The TS-2 build out im starting this week will be very interesting. I firmly believe the TS-2 is a better design than the TS-1 for a higher percentage of golfers. Ill see if I can make them even more playable.