Maltby TS2

Popeye64

890 update. I made up a 7 iron for an 82 yo golfer. Put it with a R flex Rapid taper 75g. He wound up taking it straight to the course no practice swings. Cant remember what Callaway he is playing now but its also in the UGI category.

Brian, got the club Friday. Played sat. Club felt good in my hands. Used it 4 times. Pulled it to the left of the green 2 times, just off the edge both times. Approximately 120 yards. I normally hit about 110 yards. Next, I basically duffed it to the front of the green. And the last time I hit it about 125 yards and on the green about 10 feet from. Missed the birdie, got the par. Not bad for first use. Had no time to warm up. I’ll keep on giving you results. I think it’s a keeper. Thanks, Brian.

The 890 has some fairly descent graphics for what it is. It can appeal to either a senior of a woman golfer. Or for that matter any slow swing player that needs help everywhere.

Anyone curious about going with a combo set? I may have a 4-7 TS2 package I'd be willing to trade for a 4-7 TS1 package...they have about 25 rounds on them and are in great condition. About to be shafted with the standard kbs tour 105's....while they have been in the shop, I gave my nike's another spin, (oh man I forgot how good they could feel, but alas, the performance is just not consistent enough, and the TS series feel real close, I'm anxious to try them with the KBS' as the project x were just a bit to harsh), but it's got me thinking that maybe a full set of TS1's is optimal for me, as a sweeper, the TS1's seem to be a bit more consistent for me...plus they are beautiful...just throwing it out there.

Well I have decided to get the full set of the STI2. Was going to get them in the same shaft as the 7 iron i had made up but it is back ordered for a month. was thinking of the kbs tour 90. Never had a chance to try one before. I swing the driver about 99 with a moderate tempo. any opinions on what would be a good choice to go with.

Just left this review on the Golfworks website for the TS1's:

Pure excellenceI bought these to replace some 12 year old snake eyes 675B blades. I bought the 5 iron first as a test, because that was the longest iron I had been carrying and had been struggling with it. Literally the first ball i hit, I said "Oh wow!" and I knew I was going to have to buy them. I have never felt that way in 38 years of playing. Ever. I put them in my X100 sensicore shafts that were in the 675B's.

I have had numerous range sessions with them and two rounds on them. I shot 71 today with them. I am no longer struggling with my 5 and 6 iron. Really impressed with the whole set.

I have let 3 other people hit them. One bought them and I am building him a set. One is playing Mizunos and was stunned how good these felt. Still another is considering them.

Literally, these may be the best irons on the market, period. Great feel, plenty of distance, plenty of height and stopping power. Very forgiving. Just incredible performance. Do not hesitate if you are considering them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

The TSW wedges are certainly legit. They have quite a rocker on the sole and might not be for everyone but for me as a digger they are perfect.

I set the club down on that rocker and it just feels right. Smaller head size has a players look yet plenty of sole help.

Loved how these played and took no time at all to feel right at home and I was very aggressive with them.

I have the Spin Wedge shafts in them and the combo certainly SPINS. Full shots flat out danced on the green but didn't spin back overly far. They are also a good 5 yards further than my M+ setup with Pro X shafts. The Spin Wedge shaft will probably make it into my PTM GW head to even out my gap as its too tight right now.

I have the 52 and the 56. Big fan. Kicked the M+ out of the bag and they were in there pretty solidly.

20200722-200848.jpg

20200722-200820.jpg

20200702-224444.jpg

Great review. I still love my TS1s, they are even good for a high handicapper. I've had so many thin misses that end up on the green anyways. Really good looking profile, with lots of forgiveness especially for a sweeper, the low cog keeps the thin shots playable. I tried several TM irons at a demo day and was not tempted at all by them, preferred TS1 by far.

I have a 60* TSW sitting on the bench for over a month I need to shaft up and see if it can kick out the SM8 D grind 60.

The KE4 Tour TC hybrid is legit. What a great addition to my bag.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Just put a 50, 54, and 58 in my bag. Haven't played a round with them yet, but my sessions on the range and chipping green were promising. I hit some killer low spinning shots with the 58. I found a tight lie in the practice area and got about 30 yards from a flag and hit about 10 of them that never got more than 4 feet off the ground but took one hop and died. Really impressive.

It seems like you have to be fairly precise on full shots, as I have caught a few chunky. Time will tell.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

I have the original KE4 Tour 22* in my bag with the Kuro Kage Black X in it. It replaced my 4 iron. Love it.

Nice thread. I've read through all of it, and as an admitted club ho. I'm fully intrigued. I just got back into golf after a couple year break, used to be a 6 hdcp, started the season as a 19ish and trending to 12 and lower this year. My issue is usually a heavy draw/hook, and little to no offset is what I like to look down at, big toplines don't bother me really. I'm a definite sweeper. I'm currently playing the Nike VRS Covert Forged irons 5-gw w/pxi's, really like them, but am very interested in the ts2, maybe the ts1 in the tt tour elevate shaft. And some new wedges. I'm using a 10+ yr old wishon pcf wide sole. Thoughts?

Changing...

I have a combo set, 4-7 ts2 8-g ts1, and honestly i wish i would have done a full set of ts1’s. The ts2 is just a bit unreliable to work (for me). You can’t go wrong with either, but the lower cg of the ts1 is good for thin hits...i prefer the turf interaction as well. The ts2’s probably feel just a smidge better, but that is very subjective. If you go full ts1 and end up wishing you had ts2 in the long irons, i’d gladly trade the 4-7 :)

hope that helps, again both are amazing and you really cant go wrong, but i’m a sweeper too and coming from nike vr pro combos with blades in the 8-p i wish i would have done all ts1. For the record, golfworks told me that would be better for me, but i wanted the forgiveness of the ts2. However the ts1 really does offer enough forgiveness. Also i tend to do better when i’m putting a little more into the swing and the ts2 favors a “lazy” swing as popeye suggested. So depends on your personal preference.

Very little difference in forgiveness. I would say, loft for loft, the TS2 are longer about 5-7 yards than my DBM. I think due to head design.

If money is a factor, but you need to tweak lofts and lies, go with the TE. If you like the look of the black head and don't need a lot of loft/lie adjustment, go with DBM. If you have the extra money, it's well spent on the TS2.

As a sweeper and liking little offset the TE would be my first thought. Then I would lean to the TS-1.

The TE is a timeless design with very low COG. Great for a sweeper. They have excellent feel and rival many Mizunos. Thin tip line and about as little of an offset as can be. They like to fly high. Traditional lofts so they won't pad your ego but 4° gaps are very nice.

TS-1 are loaded with new tech and rival any new OEM hollow iron head. A releived sole make them turf friendly. Good forgiveness and have sexy good looks. They go far..... strong lofts.

Don't overlook a set of graphite shafts either.

I already hit a super high ball, I don’t need any more help in that area and my swing is anything but lazy. I’m yet to find a shaft that can bring my ball down, without going xstiff, which I don’t want to. I do like a bigger head and little offset if that even makes sense. Thinking Wishon 565mc size/blade length and offset. I tried the Callaway apex 19 and don’t like the squat shorter blade length. I like my nike vrs forged 2.0’s but just something newer with less offset.

Changing...

If you are a high-ball hitter, you might want to steer clear of the DBM and TE. If you do some searching on reviews around here, the major complaint about the DBM is "moon balls."

I always thought it odd that the TS1 (the "blade" style) has lower COG than the TS2 "game improvement" club. I really like the TS2. But, the TS1 are so sharp...

Missing thin obviously is a hit low on the face of the club. So the lower the CG the better that thin/low miss is going to be. The trade off is your good shots are likely to launch higher because of the low CG.

TE/DBM and also TS1 are excellent for thin shots. TS1 has enough forgiveness for a high handicapper, I play up to the 5iron in them, the DBM are a little tougher for me in the long irons and before I got the TS1 I was using DBM to 6iron and a big GI M2 5iron.

You can always try the Wilson Fat Shaft Tour Cast irons, hardest club to get airborne I have ever seen. Lol

Both Britt and Jim Y. at Golfworks will say shaft flesh has more to do with flight than anything else other than loft.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I am a high ball hitter and miss thin. I have TS1 and DG sensicore X100. They go high, but not moon balls and I can flight them. Y9u can always to X100 and soft step them a bit.