Maltby TS2

Popeye64

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I should start a separate thread or not but here goes.... just got back from the range and it went really well

I reshafted my 5 hybrid with the Xcaliber RT75 and RT 95 in my 7 and 9 irons. I was playing the steelfiber 110 stiff and going to the RT 95 I didn’t have to add any more weight than what I already was adding in the 110 shafts. 

I’m in love 😍 with the 7 and 9 iron. They feel and flight fantastic. I wasn’t struggling to feel the club in my swing (with going to the lighter weight). The ion finish looks great as well. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Colej said:

Not sure if I should start a separate thread or not but here goes.... just got back from the range and it went really well

I reshafted my 5 hybrid with the Xcaliber RT75 and RT 95 in my 7 and 9 irons. I was playing the steelfiber 110 stiff and going to the RT 95 I didn’t have to add any more weight than what I already was adding in the 110 shafts. 

I’m in love 😍 with the 7 and 9 iron. They feel and flight fantastic. I wasn’t struggling to feel the club in my swing (with going to the lighter weight). The ion finish looks great as well. 

This thread is covering a lot of things so its more than ok. 

Speaking of the RTi shafts... the 85g shafts will arrive in a week. They will be shipped this Friday from the factory. Quite a few guys were waiting for the 85g release. 

@Colej how did you set up the 95g shafts as for flex?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

Speaking of the RTi shafts... the 85g shafts will arrive in a week. They will be shipped this Friday from the factory. Quite a few guys were waiting for the 85g release. 

I soft stepped the 95 stiff 2X and installed the 75 regular straight in 

2 hours ago, Colej said:

I soft stepped the 95 stiff 2X and installed the 75 regular straight in 

Hmmm...  you're giving me ideas, dude.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I’ve got a couple spin 100 shafts coming as well 😀

31 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’ve got a couple spin 100 shafts coming as well 😀

The Spin shafts had been around a long time but they didn't sell well as they were fairly radical. But those who tried them realized how perfect they were as a wedge shaft. The feel is excellent and they really do add spin. 

Since the Rapid Tapers have been so successful and gaining ground every day the Spin Wedges are the perfect complement to them. 

I've been adding them to every GW I build in a set. 

There is one guy who used them in a one length set and loves them. They are just long enough to make 7 iron length. 

I myself was pretty reluctant to try them even though I played the Tour X which is now the Pro X shaft for many years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The Spin shafts had been around a long time but they didn't sell well as they were fairly radical. But those who tried them realized how perfect they were as a wedge shaft. The feel is excellent and they really do add spin. 

Since the Rapid Tapers have been so successful and gaining ground every day the Spin Wedges are the perfect complement to them. 

I've been adding them to every GW I build in a set. 

There is one guy who used them in a one length set and loves them. They are just long enough to make 7 iron length. 

I myself was pretty reluctant to try them even though I played the Tour X which is now the Pro X shaft for many years. 

I remember the spin shafts from a while back but I didn’t think the heavier weight was a option back then? 

I am excited to take them to the course. 

I have a whole new bag of clubs using Rapid Tapers, a Mystic 4 driver shaft, a new SL in a 5w and can't hit any of them for 5-6 months! Sometimes sub Arctic winter sucks😭

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

A general comment / pseudo-question for brothers @Popeye64 and @Colej (and anyone else who cares to chime in)...

Have been thinking of giving the RT shafts a whirl.  The hesitation I have is their rep as a high trajectory shaft; I'm a moderately high trajectory player.  Last time i was on a launch monitor with my irons, i was hitting my 29* 5 iron around 18-19* launch.  Potentially going even higher gives me a bit of pause.

That said, I've got experience with going even higher, with lower spin, and found it gave me zero trouble (Ping Eye2+).  Some of the short iron shots were almost cartoonish, but the spin being down gave me little trouble.

Curious what you might think, based on your experiences.

Seeing Popeye's comment on the Pro X gives me another option.  Tried the TourX a few years ago, liked them well enough.  Procrastinated to the point they were no longer available.  Nice to see I could get the latest version of that.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

35 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

A general comment / pseudo-question for brothers @Popeye64 and @Colej (and anyone else who cares to chime in)...

Have been thinking of giving the RT shafts a whirl.  The hesitation I have is their rep as a high trajectory shaft; I'm a moderately high trajectory player.  Last time i was on a launch monitor with my irons, i was hitting my 29* 5 iron around 18-19* launch.  Potentially going even higher gives me a bit of pause.

That said, I've got experience with going even higher, with lower spin, and found it gave me zero trouble (Ping Eye2+).  Some of the short iron shots were almost cartoonish, but the spin being down gave me little trouble.

Seeing Popeye's comment on the Pro X gives me another option.  Tried the TourX a few years ago, liked them well enough.  Procrastinated to the point they were no longer available.  Nice to see I could get the latest version of that.

What i have found is that the RTi shafts in the 75g with a fast swing will produce a lower dynamic launch. I have a full set of shafts in three sets. PTM blacks. TS-1 and a set of Hogan Players Combo in Black. I dont find any of them launch too high and all spin very well with the Hogans having the most spin. The 8-Pw in the Hogans are pure blades and they are extremely addictive. 

You should hit me up for some demo clubs. I've been doing $20 and ill ship you a club or two in your flex and I try to send two weights if I'm sending two clubs. Try them out for a long week and send them back. 

The people trying the clubs, are buying a set of shafts at an 80% rate right now. Those that didn't by just didn't see a high enough gain to make it worth while. 

The 85g shafts are about a week away and quite a few guys are waiting for those to drop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Honestly I saw very little launch difference between my SF110 And the RT95

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

What i have found is that the RTi shafts in the 75g with a fast swing will produce a lower dynamic launch. I have a full set of shafts in three sets. PTM blacks. TS-1 and a set of Hogan Players Combo in Black. I dont find any of them launch too high and all spin very well with the Hogans having the most spin. The 8-Pw in the Hogans are pure blades and they are extremely addictive. 

You should hit me up for some demo clubs. I've been doing $20 and ill ship you a club or two in your flex and I try to send two weights if I'm sending two clubs. Try them out for a long week and send them back. 

The people trying the clubs, are buying a set of shafts at an 80% rate right now. Those that didn't by just didn't see a high enough gain to make it worth while. 

The 85g shafts are about a week away and quite a few guys are waiting for those to drop. 

That's damm good of you.  🙂

Unfortunately, my season is done, don't really have a place to do that sort of demo for a while.  I'm probably four months out from being able to do that.

I may take you up on that in the spring, if you're still offering demo action.

Or, I may take the plunge in the dark, so to speak.  🙂

37 minutes ago, Colej said:

Honestly I saw very little launch difference between my SF110 And the RT95

That gives me a good comparative.  I've only got one stick with Steelfiber, but I think I can extrapolate.

Thanks to both of you gentlemen.  <tip cap>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Or, I may take the plunge in the dark, so to speak.  🙂

Go for it. That’s what did.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

13 hours ago, aleph said:

Anyone still playing a TS1 or TS2 as primarily a driving iron? How does it fare against actual driving/utility irons?

Looking to get one of them and throw a Proforce V2 hybrid into it, worried about how it will swing weight though at 95g and cut to iron length.

I thought I’d seen someone post about that but not sure...TS1 would probably be the best choice since the TS2 isn’t available in a #3? 

13 hours ago, aleph said:

Anyone still playing a TS1 or TS2 as primarily a driving iron? How does it fare against actual driving/utility irons?

Looking to get one of them and throw a Proforce V2 hybrid into it, worried about how it will swing weight though at 95g and cut to iron length.

The TS-1 3 i is 20° and the TS-2 4 iron is 21°. So for a driving iron i would choose the TS-2 for its extra forginess. 

As for swing weight I don't see any issues as I usually don't have to ad much if any weight with the Maltby heads. 

38 minutes ago, aleph said:

TS1 long irons not all that forgiving? I prefer the look and shape of the TS1 over the TS2; was thinking it might play similarly to P790s...

On the TS-1 long irons.. A lot of guys enjoy them and hit them well. But just know that the TS-2 will be more forgiving. With that said its very golfer dependent. 

• Like 2

I finally got to spend some time with the STi2 irons. 

I built a full set for a customer and spent some quality time in the simulator with them. 

They had the Score LT shaft that was built to S flex. I forgot how much I liked this shaft. Since I have not swung steel in quite a while they felt heavy but in a good way. Nice and stable yet launch really well. 

The first thing that came to mind when hitting these, was it felt like I have played them before. They just had a solid familiar feel to them. I found them very easy to hit. I had tape on the face so it left witness marks on contact. I tried hitting them all over the face. I didn't find too many places that truly hurt distance or big direction faults. Level of forgiveness is really high. 

Distance wise they went pretty far. For a steel shaft I was getting 170-175. Spin seemed a bit on the high side but certainly didn't hurt performance. I was seeing high 7k rpm.

I played a few holes as two players on the Sim only using the 7 iron. I found it shockingly easy to control distance. Even 3/4 or short little pitch and runs. The short shots felt solid and you could easily tell where the ball was on the face. The short chips felt so good i looked forward to hitting them.

I kept having to remind myself that this 4-gw set, complete only cost $199. These things are a huge, huge bargain that I would easily game tomorrow. 

Aside from the price the feel was the biggest surprise. Solid and not at all clunky. Being a cast club i wasn't expecting the great solid feel. The gel in the rear cavity goes a long way to help that. 

For $199 this set is a give away in today's market of $1200+ oem offerings. These would make a great back up/travel set for anyone.

Also in person these look great. Plus the off set is certainly minimal for a SGI iron. 

20201203_223020.jpg

20201203_222938.jpg

• Like 1

I play the STi2 with the Aldila NV85 graphite shafts. Before them, I played the TS1 with UST Tour Weight graphite. I am a high ball power fade hitter and I was worried that I'd hit the STi2 too high with the mid-launch NV85 as I had played the lowest launching shafts I could find. 

That was not the case at all, the STi2s are pretty comparable in launch to the TS1. The NV85 are the first sub-100 gram shaft that I have had any consistency with. I am beyond pleased with the STi2 set. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DblEgl said:

Thanks for the update on the STi2 iron.  Valuable info.  Have you had a chance to hit them with any graphite shafts ?

Also curious as to how they launch - as expected ? higher than expected ?  

I found that they got up quickly and had a very strong flight. I would definitely say they did not fly too high.

The simulator I play in has new turf to hit off of and it's very easy to hit a fat shot.

I found these moved right through it with little to no resistance.

I put a pro X xcalibur shaft in one of the 6 iron heads but I did not get a chance to hit yet.

From what I saw I would have no problem gaming these at all. I gamed the Ke4 Tour head for 2 years. This seems like a far better version of that head

• Like 3

I'm playing the STi2 with Nippon 1150,s and they have a nice, mid to mid/high trajectory.  I find it easy to flight these.  They are the best cast head I've played from GW to date.  I really liked the ke4 tour but the sole grind/relief on these is $ for me/much improved.

Edited by ode
  • Like 2

I re-shafted  my PTM’s with RT75 from stock TT lite and re griped with JumboMax light. I was wondering about counter balancing? Also interested in the Excalibur PRO TSL S to replace my PingG410 Alta CB S 45.75”, thinking about going 1” shorter ? Anybody got any experience with counterbalancing and the TSL shaft?