Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 1/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, Popeye64 said:

Speaking of Britt I happened to be on the phone with him today with some shaft business.

But while I had his ear I asked about some of the new gear....

He is pumped about the new Hy-way, not sure if spelling is right. Says it's just a really fun club to hit. Half fairway-half hybrid. He was really high on that design. 

Big news for the M + series replacement that I'm not sure I can mention yet. A new finish for the TSW that is DBM-Like... BUT BENDABLE!! Industry first finish coming out on that one. A new KE4 iron and a few other fun items. The new forgings are probably gonna be 2020 clubs as they just want them perfect. With the huge success of the TS-1 and 2 they have to be excellent and not just another head. 

Should be a fun year with some of these products. But will have to be patient with the forged iron designs. 

HyWay is now on GW website. No specs but pics and pricing are there.

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 hours ago, Therty said:

Pulled the trigger on a KE4TC hybrid 22* today, uST Proforce V2 85g shaft. Im playing an Adams Dhy proto as a 4i replacement now and its just a little too demanding with my developing swing, and my short crappy driver or 3w off the tee leaves me a lot of 200-215 yard shots that I struggle with. Hopefully the Ke4 is a bit less demanding. I was torn between the STiH, but the hybrid looks a bit strange with the wonky fins (i think the fairway looks good though) and the alignment dot is off center of the head

Off topic but has anyone ever tried to remove alignment dot from a Maltby wood head? Are they dimpled in or just a paint dot? Maybe a little acetone would remove it?

On 1/21/2021 at 6:31 AM, ode said:

The ct250 hybrids were .335 or was it .350.....they were essentially mini fwy. woods.  Also remember Golfsmith having a .350 line of woods/hybrids-HiCor line...might still have an old hicor 3h laying around.  It had offset though and was more traditional hybrid shape.  Those were some fun days for clubmakers.  Snake Eyes Quick Strike also had several .335 version hybrids!  Kinda right in between a fwy and hybrid.  Loved the QSII!

I still have a ct250 hybrid.  They really are mini fairway woods, because they have "full face progression" where the topline is out in front of the leading edge of the hosel.  I used to call this design style a "utility wood"

• Like 1

From Britt in the maltby forum - new wedges coming: " I will say that we have redesigned the M+Series and it will have weight adjustability.  It’s profile will look similar to the current, so it will still be a stand alone series, not matching any particular set.  It probably will not be available until late this year."

2 hours ago, Therty said:

From Britt in the maltby forum - new wedges coming: " I will say that we have redesigned the M+Series and it will have weight adjustability.  It’s profile will look similar to the current, so it will still be a stand alone series, not matching any particular set.  It probably will not be available until late this year."

The weight adjustability is a great idea, because most of their wedges have always been limited by how heavy they choose to design them.  I have never understood this spec choice, because we can always add weight, if need be.  Always had to pay them to hand pick heads on the lighter side of the tolerance and then I'd deep bore extra weight out of the bottom of the hosel

Edited by Cwebb

11 hours ago, Bad9 said:

HyWay is now on GW website. No specs but pics and pricing are there.

Specs are now posted. That is a very interesting design. I really like the added face height. I'll have to figure out the weighting and how to trim a fairway shaft to match it. Look forward to this one. 

The TSW DRM (Durable Diamonized Raw Metal) wedges are up on the GW website. Available Spring 21'.  Specs look the same but just with the new finish. 

I just received the 54 and 58 degree TSW wedges and they will be tested out for play this weekend. Trying to replace my Glide 2 wedges which I absolutely love around the greens but full shots not so much. Before the Glides I was playing the Tour Grind MG wedges which were just too flat for a full swing. (irons 2* up) 

2 hours ago, BK Bass said:

The TSW DRM (Durable Diamonized Raw Metal) wedges are up on the GW website. Available Spring 21'.  Specs look the same but just with the new finish. 

I just received the 54 and 58 degree TSW wedges and they will be tested out for play this weekend. Trying to replace my Glide 2 wedges which I absolutely love around the greens but full shots not so much. Before the Glides I was playing the Tour Grind MG wedges which were just too flat for a full swing. (irons 2* up) 

Wow that finish looks great. I wonder if it limits bendability like the dbm does. If not 🤩

Edited by Therty

4 minutes ago, Therty said:

Wow that finish looks great. I wonder if it limits bendability like the dbm does. If now 🤩

I think Popeye mentions in this thread that Britt told him one of the benefits of the new DBM finish is it allows more adjustability.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, aleph said:

Who is the 2 time major winner referenced to as the inspiration behind the TSW grind?

And does the 52/50 have much narrower a sole than the 56? I remember seeing the 56 being said to have the widest sole in the TSW family.

That's a mystery, seems he can't divulge that fact. 

I can check a 52 vs a 56 later tonight. 

2 hours ago, aleph said:

Who is the 2 time major winner referenced to as the inspiration behind the TSW grind?

And does the 52/50 have much narrower a sole than the 56? I remember seeing the 56 being said to have the widest sole in the TSW family.

Someone brought it up in another thread that wasn't about Maltby clubs at all, and I think they might be right. 

José María Olazábal looks to be the inspiration. I'll try find that post 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 7:11 PM, Popeye64 said:

Specs are now posted. That is a very interesting design. I really like the added face height. I'll have to figure out the weighting and how to trim a fairway shaft to match it. Look forward to this one. 

Briefing through the all things Maltby thread, noted the new HyWay head.  Very interesting.   Considering an upgrade in this loft area for next season.  Thinking it's time to take advantage of some modernity in face materials and weight distribution.   The in-between head size is intriguing, play fairways now because I don't get on with hybrids all that well.  Curious about the "Runner Sole Design", can't tell much from the pics.  Have an older Cobra Rail H around (no longer used as it stiff shafted), liked the turf interaction with that one.  Plus being .335, have a couple of shafts on hand that could be utilized.  Or upgrade to.....Xcaliber (??).   Looking forward to the in-hand pics.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 1/29/2021 at 3:30 AM, Popeye64 said:

Here is the TSW 52 and the 56. Not a huge difference  between the two. 

When holding them like this it's actually hard to tell which wedge is which. 

20210128_210117.jpg

20210128_210113.jpg

Thanks, I agree it's not much narrower. Definitely a lot wider than I'm used to or probably want for a 52, but I've been really impressed with the TSW grind just from chipping around on the carpet with the 56.

Also, they're probably inspired by Olazabal after all. Here's a wedge designed by him for Txema (his company? no longer exists in any case).

txema.jpeg

chema.jpeg

Edited by aleph
  • Like 1

Ke4TC hybrid in the bag for the first time today, 22 degrees paied with UST Proforce V2 85g Stiff tipped an additional 0.5”.
I was looking for something for long recovieries from the rough, and for 205-215 off the tee or as a 2nd shot on a par 5 that was less demanding that the Adams DHy that was in my bad and man did this thing deliver.

Britt and team did a great job on this one.
I’m not angreat ball striker, and I’m working through a swing change, so there’s lots of bad in my game right now.

This is my first “real” hybrid (not a DI hybrid thing or DHy) and it  was long and straight and High, even when I put a garbage swing on it. It got me 200yrds up the hill out of the Thicccc Torrey Rough today back into a fairway (16 North) 

I don’t know how far it goes yet but I think i landed on a winner. 

Edited by Therty
  • Like 2

I've gotta say that across the board the Maltby gear has been killing it. In that entire catalog the new gear is as good as any line up in Golf. 

I brought a KE4 TC driver head out the other night as I gave away my Sim test driver head. I had an Xcaliber Pro TSL shaft which is under 50 g when trimmed. So it's about as lite as can be. Couldn't control it for the life of me till I realized I had a 4g weight in the head and the club swing weighted at C7.5. I put in a 12g weight and BOOM.. straight as an arrow and a 260 carry. I could not beat it with a new SIM 2 driver that I grabbed from the demo rack. Another case that proves how well this gear keeps pace with the latest drivers available. 

• Like 4