2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 6/5/2021 at 5:43 AM, TallGuy90 said:

While I really like the STI2s my distances are down like 15 yards per club. Not sure if it’s a shaft issue. I hit some ping G410s. 

@TallGuy90  I’m following your experiences with the STI2s, and I can’t figure out why your seeing the discrepancy in distances, especially with one club. I’m wondering in the forging process if your getting some hot faces. I’ve seen some of this before. I had an older set of Hogans that did this. Please keep us in the loop.

-Bill

@woodriffthanks , I took them to a trackman range and it looks like the 7 and 8 will generate some insane spin. Based of on the dynamic loft I don’t think it’s from flipping. They are a great value from cost/performance perspective but I am moving on. Got fit and moved to a stiffer profile shaft than the Score LT. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand why a designer puts the company name on the iron soles in this day and age.  Looks very 1970s to me.  And I’m a fan of the company.

Edited by Snowman9000
  • Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On 6/9/2021 at 3:15 PM, TallGuy90 said:

@woodriffthanks , I took them to a trackman range and it looks like the 7 and 8 will generate some insane spin. Based of on the dynamic loft I don’t think it’s from flipping. They are a great value from cost/performance perspective but I am moving on. Got fit and moved to a stiffer profile shaft than the Score LT. 

I’m hitting Nippons in the ST2. Love em. With the exception of the GW and W. Play the TE in gap and wedge. 

Edited by woodriff

I’ve been testing irons like crazy over the past 2 months.  DBM, TS1 and PTM. The PTM wins for me,  definitely more forgiving and great feel.  After just a couple rounds with my new sticks I lost my PTM gap wedge.  Anyone have one for sale or trade?   Also looking for FGT 56 and 60 wedge. 

I’ve got full sets of DBM and TS1 along with a lot of extra shafts I used for testing, both graphite and steel. 

Spent some more time with my new DBM 7i on the course over the past week. It's quickly becoming my go to club. The grip and shaft combination have been a game changer for me and the head just feels so good through impact. I'm getting, on average, 20-25 yards more out of it versus my old 7i. Was well short on a par 4 last week after a topped drive. Needed to get over some tall trees and immediately carry the back end of a pond just to give myself a chance to get up and down. The distance called for my 4i, but I knew it wouldn't get up enough to clear the trees. Pulled the DBM 7i and flushed it 187 yards over the trees and pond leaving a 20 yard chip to the green. It's realistically probably going to be a 170-175ish yard club for me. Quite the difference from the 145-150 I was getting out of my old 7i. Combine the increased distance and higher launch and I couldn't be happier. The rest of the set plus 3 TSW wedges and a 21 degree STh2 hybrid are set to be delivered today. Hoping the rest of the DBM perform for me as well as the 7i has!!  

• Like 1

I think I’m going to part ways with PTM set I put together over the winter. Even though I have played forged irons for over 30 years I just prefer the KE4 Tour+. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

14 hours ago, mustang said:

Do you have any TS-1 # 5 irons?   Any AXE RT iron shafts?     I don't have a PTM GW..  that is a very good head and one I am puzzled that did not continue.   TS-1 and TS-2 are soooooo  good I guess.

No. Sorry.  I agree. I love the PTM irons, gives me far more confidence than TS1.   If Anyone wants to part Witt a set of PTM black, I’ll buy them.  Trying to find a good set of wedges now that will match up with them. Something with straight lines and squared look similar to the PTM irons.  Tsw is nice but I don’t like the rounded look.  Perhaps the Tour Grind MG wedges?  

4 minutes ago, Jagall75 said:

No. Sorry.  I agree. I love the PTM irons, gives me far more confidence than TS1.   If Anyone wants to part Witt a set of PTM black, I’ll buy them.  Trying to find a good set of wedges now that will match up with them. Something with straight lines and squared look similar to the PTM irons.  Tsw is nice but I don’t like the rounded look.  Perhaps the Tour Grind MG wedges?  

If you can be ok with the sharper leading edge type of wedge the Tour MG is, then its a great wedge. My digging ways can't live comfortably with them.... The TSW has a subtle but wildly forgiving sole design. I don't find the Rounded look detracts from the TSW but that's me. TSW DRM in 52° has been an obsession since it went into the bag. So versatile and the coloring and finish is perfect. 

As for the PTM Blacks I have two sets and love them. Great forged feel with a just big enough head to truly be forgiving. 

15 hours ago, mustang said:

Do you have any TS-1 # 5 irons?   Any AXE RT iron shafts?     I don't have a PTM GW..  that is a very good head and one I am puzzled that did not continue.   TS-1 and TS-2 are soooooo  good I guess.

Are you looking for some used Rapid Tapers... I think @Jim53 has a pulled set. Not 100% sure thats his name on here. 

4 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

These are some really nice looking clubs!! When people say that Maltby's web pictures do not do the heads justice, they are 100% correct. I got the DBM's 4-PW, TSW in the DRM finish in 50/6, 54/10 and 58/6 and the STh2 hybrid in 21 degrees. The STh2 is a particularly beautiful head. They are all shafted with the FST Pro 125 in X-stiff with GP MCC Plus 4 grips. They all feel great in my hands. The TSW's look and feel like they are going to be a really versatile wedge. Cannot wait to get some use out of them.

PXL_20210616_000526030.jpg.24301b139281e6ac22b1dc4c3ee3e72e.jpgPXL_20210616_000534460.jpg.90c49ae9b698a0de2ce2d6ca10a7aa82.jpgPXL_20210616_001600405.jpg.c6311a009a754fe92d0b4f20f2b626d5.jpgPXL_20210616_001606797.jpg.f91af809e71ba80cb74a0f345695c467.jpgPXL_20210616_001614511_MP.jpg.e5582f78ea13b71180c1971b46e1bd1a.jpg  

22 hours ago, ninjab said:

That DRM finish looks awesome. I don't like the dbm finish due to bending limitation. 

Yeah, I'm anxious to see how it ages. Maltby says it may oxidize over time. 

I was concerned about the DBM for the same reason you mentioned. But after confirming the lie of my test 7i was darn near perfect, I was comfortable committing to the rest of the set. I'll do the same sharpie lie test with the rest of them to be sure though. I've read of loft/lie adjustments breaking these heads. Is that more with people trying to adjust a bunch, like 4 or 5 degrees? Or are there issues even bending a degree or two?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:11 AM, Popeye64 said:

Are you looking for some used Rapid Tapers... I think @Jim53 has a pulled set. Not 100% sure thats his name on here. 

I would be interested in a set of rapid taper pulls. Can you be more sure of his name on here, or have a way of getting us in touch? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 8:55 PM, Popeye64 said:

Well the HYWAY is also a KE4 TC. I have the 21. Once I stopped swinging like an idiot it works extremely well. As a matter of fact an almost lazy swing gets amazing results. 

But the PTM5 could be stamped with any high end label and you wouldn't blink at paying $400 for it. For $79  it's a steal. A club pak can be had for $109 which is insane. 

How's the distance of the 21*?  I assume it's longer than the 21* 4i TS-2 (assuming the same swing).  I love hitting the 4i off the tee on any hole under ~370-380, usually leaving me with an 8-9i or less for the second shot, but wouldn't mind getting something that'll give me comfortable ~210-220 (carry).  Too bad a 3i is not offered in the TS-2.  21* KE-4 TC or 3i TS-1.... Decisions, decisions, decisions.....  Oh, almost forgot - the PTM5 pak is $99!  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

31 minutes ago, stasek said:

How's the distance of the 21*?  I assume it's longer than the 21* 4i TS-2 (assuming the same swing).  I love hitting the 4i off the tee on any hole under ~370-380, usually leaving me with an 8-9i or less for the second shot, but wouldn't mind getting something that'll give me comfortable ~210-220 (carry).  Too bad a 3i is not offered in the TS-2.  21* KE-4 TC or 3i TS-1.... Decisions, decisions, decisions.....  Oh, almost forgot - the PTM5 pak is $99!  

Generally find fairway clubs to flight higher than a corresponding iron.  Or hybrid for that matter.  Most of the time that's beneficial for realizing the trajectory I'm after from distance.   But I play a couple courses that have tight fairways, short doglegs, where being in the fairway on the correct side is critical.  My distances are not close to yours, being a more seasoned golfer.  But still slotting distance gapping in relative terms.  

Been contemplating adding a KE4 Tour HDI at 19* or 21* into the bag.  For $50, already have suitable shaft on hand, seems to be a low risk opportunity to add a speciality club to the bag.  Or something different via the Premium Pak.  That could be another option to consider.  Don't read much about the HDI's in this "All Things Maltby" thread.  

Added a KE4 Tour TC 5 wood to the bag a couple weeks ago.  Splendid club.  An a bargain compared to new or slightly used OEM.  Would contemplate adding a 21* HyWay in the future, but the trusty V-Steel 7 wood is still perhaps my best club in bag.  And not realistically in need of replacement.  Play the TS-1's (5 - GW) and a 54* TSW wedge.  

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, stasek said:

I has a very nice spot in the bag. The 16° TC FW is a 240 club. The 21° HYWAY seems to be a steady 225-230. And at times it goes even further. 

I find one of its most useful spots is digging a ball out of deep rough. It gets the ball up very quickly with a ton of topspin so it winds up going pretty far. That's not a shot I'm really looking to find the green but to advance the ball. In the fairway it's so easy to hit.. At times I've grabbed the wrong one and I've been shocked that going back into the bag it wasn't my FW. 

I get a solid 205 in the air with my 4i so it really does have a nice spot in the bag. The HYWAY Flies high and lands soft. Does exactly what I had hoped for. 

1 hour ago, stasek said:

Oh and buy that PTM5 club pak. You will love it.