2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Selling my set of PTM 5-G, Score shafts, Stiff, standard length and lie, midsize Tacki MAC wraps. Very lightly played. Thought I’d offer them to this group before I list them.

66A35933-D814-4E63-BAD4-004A5AEACA93.jpeg

F3E80FA2-A352-41BB-999C-6350D4FCA200.jpeg

• Like 4

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

13 hours ago, deepred said:

Selling my set of PTM 5-G, Score shafts, Stiff, standard length and lie, midsize Tacki MAC wraps. Very lightly played. Thought I’d offer them to this group before I list them.

Message sent!  how much?

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

14 hours ago, deepred said:

Sold American😉

• Like 3

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

For those using the Tour FDI hybrids, what do you think? I’m intrigued by the limited offset, only slightly more than my beloved MXU hybrids. I’m seriously thinking of the 2 19* head. One of my MXU clubs is 20* but I’m thinking the iron shape probably would launch lower. 

Edited by deepred

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 7/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, stasek said:

D3A3A50A-CB60-400D-9275-B2E6DC1B14AE.jpeg.429ebf06eba710b1ed39ab6c83695c81.jpeg

And just like that - there were 13 of them in my bag 😂.    The Adams 3h has been behaving for now, so it might just stick around for a while. 

That looks like a very long diver you have there.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

3 minutes ago, deepred said:

For those using the Tour FDI hybrids, what do you think? I’m intrigued by the limited offset, only slightly more than my beloved MXU hybrids. I’m seriously thinking of the 2 19* head. One of my MXU clubs is 20* but I’m thinking the iron shape probably would launch lower. 

The FDI tend to fly low as you would expect by the over all design. Very much like an extension of irons. TC Hybrid and the HYWAY will fly much higher. It's really a personal preference type of thing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deepred said:

I have the 19* head and it definitely launches lower, but that is what I wanted in it. At this time I have a love/hate relationship with it, but it is firmly in the bag. 

• Like 1

Have had about 2 weeks with my new PTM-5. Haven't had the chance to get a round in with it yet, but have spent plenty of time at home on my Big Moss mat. Took me a little while to get comfortable with it, but this was due to having to get adjusted to a new setup. This putter is 37.5" and I've always played standard length putters so a significant setup adjustment was needed. But once I got that sorted out the putter feels absolutely amazing. The feel off the face is superb and something I've never experienced before. Overall it's just a solid putter. Cannot wait to get a round in with it.

• Like 2

I finally got a Moment XII putter, I love the look of it online for a long time, but never pulled the lever until now and my first impression is, wow this thing is huge, lol and light. 

• Like 2

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

50 minutes ago, deepred said:

I finally got a Moment XII putter, I love the look of it online for a long time, but never pulled the lever until now and my first impression is, wow this thing is huge, lol and light. 

Got mine about 2 months ago. Took alot of practice sessions to dail it in. Now I can't believe what a great lag putter I'm with it. Just got to put a smooth stroke on it. Easier said than done.

• Like 1

15 hcp

I've been debating for a little while now and maybe this is the right place to ask. Has anyone compared the SIM Max fairway (5w is what I am looking at) and/or hybrid to the KE4 TC equivalents? Distance while important isn't the main focus, I'm mostly concerned with turf interaction on the fairway. Distance and accuracy are more important for the hybrid to me. I'm looking to replace a 915F 5w and a BB19 4h with one or the other.

Just for consideration, I only use a fw from the fairway when I've missed with my driver short on a par 4 or in excellent position on a par 5 with little danger presented if I go for it. Maybe once every 2 months from the tee box. So needless to say dropping $250+ on the SIM gives me pause despite all of the positive reviews they get and the fond memories of my V-Steel days. The hybrid is my money club from 170-180, so it's one I pull 5-6 times a round. My miss with everything is a pull left that comes from a somewhat flatter swing plane and setting up a bit with a closed face. Sometimes I find it hard to set the club face up neutral with certain clubs. One concern with the Maltby clubs are that all black finish/face will exaggerate that tendency, but I could probably adjust with some time and practice. The SIM look easier in this regard at least.

33 minutes ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

I've been debating for a little while now and maybe this is the right place to ask. Has anyone compared the SIM Max fairway (5w is what I am looking at) and/or hybrid to the KE4 TC equivalents? Distance while important isn't the main focus, I'm mostly concerned with turf interaction on the fairway. Distance and accuracy are more important for the hybrid to me. I'm looking to replace a 915F 5w and a BB19 4h with one or the other.

Just for consideration, I only use a fw from the fairway when I've missed with my driver short on a par 4 or in excellent position on a par 5 with little danger presented if I go for it. Maybe once every 2 months from the tee box. So needless to say dropping $250+ on the SIM gives me pause despite all of the positive reviews they get and the fond memories of my V-Steel days. The hybrid is my money club from 170-180, so it's one I pull 5-6 times a round. My miss with everything is a pull left that comes from a somewhat flatter swing plane and setting up a bit with a closed face. Sometimes I find it hard to set the club face up neutral with certain clubs. One concern with the Maltby clubs are that all black finish/face will exaggerate that tendency, but I could probably adjust with some time and practice. The SIM look easier in this regard at least.

What length do you play your fairways at?

My opinion is the TC tour fairways and hybrids setup very neutral for me.

The STF2 sets up just a bit open but the sole interaction with the TC Tour is better, for me. 

I have to shout out to the TSW DRM wedges again. I have a good half dozen rounds with them and they are down right flithy.

I had a TON of Full shots today with the 50° and the 56° (I do need to get another at 54°). The 56° with a smooth, yet aggressive move through the ball goes 85 yards for me on the button. The 50° goes 105 but knocking off 5 yards is so easy. My wedge miss is to hit it fat... yet there is zero hint of that with these. The sole looks a bit aggressive but it's tame. It just glides through the turf.  Short chips as always are crisp with easy spin control. But today really opened my eyes to how accurate they were. 5 birdies today and left at least that many putts 2-8" short in the heart of the hole. 3 bogeys brought me back to earth. 

The best part of this setup with the Avalon i8 shaft (which is a steel/graphite mix) is the ball lands like a dead fish. The ball is always about a foot away from its mark. That picture of the ball mark is a full swing 105 yard shot.. I hate spinning the ball back and this setup is perfect for me. 

20210715_134938.jpg

20210715_135104.jpg

20210715_135304.jpg

• Like 4

I'll second @Popeye64 admiration for the TSW DRM wedges. I'm far from the seasoned club user and tester that he is, but these wedges are by FAR the nicest I've ever played. The pitches and chips around the green (which I have plenty of experience with, HA!!) are a joy  with the TSW's. So much confidence in those types of shots now for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

I do need a 50 - 54 wedges. So far I like the KE4 TC tour 3w. Distances are a little inconsistent. 

I've got room for one more club in my bag. It's going to either be a 3 or 5w or a 3h. I currently have the STh2 as my 4h. Need more time with it as it's rather inconsistent, but when I hit it the way I'm supposed to it's great. 

What would you consider the difference between the ST line of hybrids and woods and the KE4 line?

45 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

I've got room for one more club in my bag. It's going to either be a 3 or 5w or a 3h. I currently have the STh2 as my 4h. Need more time with it as it's rather inconsistent, but when I hit it the way I'm supposed to it's great. 

What would you consider the difference between the ST line of hybrids and woods and the KE4 line?

Not much I only really went with the KE4 becuse of the loft. But I believe the ST is more forgiving across the face. Still for less the a 100 bucks it’s a excellent wood.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Not much I only really went with the KE4 becuse of the loft. But I believe the ST is more forgiving across the face. Still for less the a 100 bucks it’s a excellent wood.

Thanks. 

Loft was the same reason I went with the STh2. And yeah, for the money all the Maltby stuff I've gotten absolutely cannot be beat. 

On 7/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, deepred said:

Mine are also firmly in the bag.  I use all 3 lofts but bent so that they match my set better and give me good gapping.  My Apex 6i is 27 degrees then I go 24, 21, 18 degrees.  Golfworks bent them for me. I built them in length too match my iron lengths, which are a 3/8 increment build, so the 18 is only 39 inches.  I originally tried it at 40 inches but couldn't hit it consistently.  I had to add both hosel weights and up the head weights to get them up to D2.  I mostly use the 18 off the tee, and I love that thing.  I could play well with this as my longest club in the bag.  The 3 clubs yardage for me are at 185, 200, and 215, add 5-10 when hitting from the T.  This week during my round I was hitting the 18, 225 to 240 yards depending on the wind and hills. 

I did have to try a few shafts to find the magic in the FDI's.  When shafted with the my iron shafts, they just did not work and were all over the place.  It felt too soft and wimpy.  Decided it needed a stiff tip.  Probably due to the weight I had to add to the head.  As an experiment I tired a shaft I had had success with in woods and hybrids, the venerable Nunchuk.  I had a one  lying around so in it went and trimmed the butt to length, and get it balanced right and it was magical!  Only if you want to be straight and in the fairway a lot.  My misses with these are only thin and fat, which make the shots short, but still in the fairway and safe.  Unfortunately I can't say the same for my driver or 4 wood.

You should see the looks on my buddies face when they all hit their drivers, and I pull out a driving iron and end up with a similar distance.  Of course we have a few that drive 300 yards, but I am 61 years old and those days are over for me.

• Like 1

What I love about the MXU is the zero offset and square club face which makes them closer to an iron than a wood. I might give the FDI with the Maltby shaft which I use in the MXU’s.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

6 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. 

Loft was the same reason I went with the STh2. And yeah, for the money all the Maltby stuff I've gotten absolutely cannot be beat. 

So played around. 

off the tee it’s great. 230 ish for me. Which is good becuse I am maybe 240-50 with my driver. 

down side out of the ruff or off the deck it’s a very low flight I may mess with the weights but idk

• Like 1

@Popeye64 I just want to thank you again for starting this thread, which has truly become THE Maltby thread here on GolfWRX.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Maltby wedge.  I say wedge singular because I like one wedge for all my "around the green" needs:  sand, chip, pitch, tight lie, rough.  I need a high degree of bendability (3* more upright) and I'd like final loft around 55-58 degrees.  I can play it square or manipulate.

Which Maltby wedge can check all the boxes?  I'm thinking 56 Glider as the wider sole would be more versatile.   How close can I get with the TSW?