Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I’d recommend waiting until the new M series wedges are released. They’re not DBM so your 3* should be attainable. They’ll also have weight adjustability which should allow you to dial one in to be that jack of all trades wedge your after. 

I hope they’ll eventually be offered in DRM also cuz it looks damn good.

• Like 2

Share the same sentiments with wide sole wedges of any type.  They're OK from sand,  but lack the versatility of relatively narrower soles.  Although the TSW is not by any means a thin soled SW.  Approximately .5" thinner than a Glider.  The grind and heel relief makes for a versatile wedge, good playability for a variety of shots.  Furthermore, they're very easy to adjust for lie angles.  My lengths are +1", so that will make the effective lies 2* up by default (from the stated nominal lie).  After a new build, I'll play a wedge before bending.  In actual playing conditions, observing results, determine what if any adjustments will be needed.  I don't automatically bend to a specific spec by default prior to testing.  And tend to prefer a SW/LW bit flatter (~ 1*) compared with the irons.  FWIW, play a TSW 54* and 58*.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

11 hours ago, games said:

@Popeye64 I just want to thank you again for starting this thread, which has truly become THE Maltby thread here on GolfWRX.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Maltby wedge.  I say wedge singular because I like one wedge for all my "around the green" needs:  sand, chip, pitch, tight lie, rough.  I need a high degree of bendability (3* more upright) and I'd like final loft around 55-58 degrees.  I can play it square or manipulate.

Which Maltby wedge can check all the boxes?  I'm thinking 56 Glider as the wider sole would be more versatile.   How close can I get with the TSW?   

My pleasure. This thread has been a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

With all the wedge talk I have to talk about my setup and why I have it that way. I know a lot of guys really love to spin thier wedges but I have only one of mine set up that way. My 50° TSW DRM is my go-to for most of my pitches and chips. For me I play my short game to land and roll out to the hole. I hole out my fair share of chips that way. Flying all the way to the hole is way too hard unless you are practicing all day long or you're named Phil..... With the Avalon i8 setup it doesn't spin a lot but that's how I want it. It spins on a full shot but stays right in its divot. Again just as I want it. 

Same for my 56° TSW DRM. Of course that Flys a bit higher and rolls out less but it still rolls out the way I like. Very controlled with few surprises. Again full shots stop right where they land but DO NOT zip back. 

Now I have one wedge that is the polar opposite of those two. 

I have an M series+ 62° with the wide sole and a 100g Spin Wedge shaft. This setup goes straight up and will spin to a dead stop anywhere it lands. I can use it for a 45 yard shot with pretty good distance control but I have make sure I carry any false front or it's gonna come right back to me. 

Normally I can't hit a 60° never mind a 62° but the wide sole makes it shockingly easy to hit. I don't use it all that much unless I short side myself. Then it's... hit it... and slam on the brakes. I can also open it up and bit swing aggressively, really getting the ball to back up, even on short shots.  A complete opposite setup of my other two. Aside from maybe changing some lofts, my wedge game is as complete as I've ever had it. 

20210717_205404.jpg

20210717_205423.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

With all the wedge talk I have to talk about my setup and why I have it that way. I know a lot of guys really love to spin thier wedges but I have only one of mine set up that way. My 50° TSW DRM is my go-to for most of my pitches and chips. For me I play my short game to land and roll out to the hole. I hole out my fair share of chips that way. Flying all the way to the hole is way too hard unless you are practicing all day long or you're named Phil..... With the Avalon i8 setup it doesn't spin a lot but that's how I want it. It spins on a full shot but stays right in its divot. Again just as I want it. 

Same for my 56° TSW DRM. Of course that Flys a bit higher and rolls out less but it still rolls out the way I like. Very controlled with few surprises. Again full shots stop right where they land but DO NOT zip back. 

Now I have one wedge that is the polar opposite of those two. 

I have an M series+ 62° with the wide sole and a 100g Spin Wedge shaft. This setup goes straight up and will spin to a dead stop anywhere it lands. I can use it for a 45 yard shot with pretty good distance control but I have make sure I carry any false front or it's gonna come right back to me. 

Normally I can't hit a 60° never mind a 62° but the wide sole makes it shockingly easy to hit. I don't use it all that much unless I short side myself. Then it's... hit it... and slam on the brakes. I can also open it up and bit swing aggressively, really getting the ball to back up, even on short shots.  A complete opposite setup of my other two. Aside from maybe changing some lofts, my wedge game is as complete as I've ever had it. 

20210717_205404.jpg

20210717_205423.jpg

This ongoing thread perhaps should be renamed "All Things Maltby".  But then we would likely become confused, and not know where to look for the latest Maltby chatter.  Accustomed as I've become for the quick scan down the topic list for the TS2 thread.  Yeah, leave it alone.  We know where to look.  

I've transitioned my wedge play from high to low like yourself.  The high game requires a level of preciseness that is beyond my skill set for reliability.  The courses I typically play are conducive to the low and roll shot.  With a much greater margin for error.  Pick a landing spot, read the contour, roll the ball towards the hole.  My bad miss with the high shot was bladed screamers across the green (and beyond).  Playing low with the TS1 PW/GW (depending on the roll out) has eliminated that miss.  

That 62* M+ is looks similar to the Callaway Sure-Out (more branding stolen from Hogan).  One of the golfing buds has one and I've tried it a few times.   Have to trust taking a full swing with it, but it's surprisingly effective for the short, drop and stop lob.  But if you quit on it, the ball "plops" like 6 feet.  Interesting wedge style, but too specialized to occupy a spot in the bag.  For practicality, the 58* TSW offers greater versatility from turf or sand.  Especially for the ~40 yard pitch shot.  

FWIW.  Found an old Snake Eyes SW wedge that I had stashed away with a Rifle Spinner shaft.  Recall liking how it played.  Which prompted me to order in the 58* TSW head with the new 5 fairway.  New head, old shaft seems to be a pretty good combination.  Don't recall any of the shaft specs, doesn't matter.  Only reservation, wish I had been paying closer attention.  And opted for the DRM version.  Don't know if it would have played mo' better, but it looks kinda cool.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I'm certainly not a high spin player. I just don't have the skills to do it. Playing the TSW 52 has changed that. My wedges were always hit and roll out quite a bit. Now, it's 5-6 ft from were it lands at worst. Impressive considering most of the greens I play here in NW Florida are pretty hard this time of year. I play the 52 for the majority of shots from 75 yards save for the situations that call for a bump & run. It's deadly accurate and so very confidence inspiring. So much so that my 48 degree GW has been sidelined.

As much as I love the wedge, I've built a few Maltby clubs over the years that I didn't care for. A Trouble Out 5w I ended up giving to a friend (he loves it btw) and a KE4 hybrid that I still have but rarely take out of the closet. It's the previous model. I think it's the Proforce V2 I built it with that I don't get along with. Feels very boardy. Anyway, finally pulled the trigger on a 21 degree HyWay with a Kuro Kage. Hoping to replace the 5w spot in my bag that I have no confidence in. It's a club I pull 175-200 out or long par 5 second shots. If I get along with it, I may look at the KE4 4w, but I have rarely had any consistent luck with fairway woods. Maybe an FDI would be a better choice.

Edited by Spankapotamus redux
  • Like 1

I think something you need to understand about Maltby is price VS performance. 

also know most of the stuff is budget. Your not getting a premium shaft. 

I do notice once you start putting in standard oem shafts on say a TS2 your savings are gone. 

example - 4-PW Stock Major brand none upgraded shaft 

Sub 70 - 574

Takomo - 459!!!!

Maltby TS2 - 680. 

Edited by TallGuy90

19 minutes ago, propman said:

https://www.golfworks.com/matlby-ts-series-assembled-sets/p/matsas/

$450 plus a gap. And a $30 shaft built to your specs

Those are not but okay. Pre assembly. No length or  grip changes 

also another 4.95 per club for and loft and lie adjustments 

Edited by TallGuy90
  • Confused 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TM R510TP

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX RC

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedge: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I've had TEs for quite a while now. However, through the pandemic I took the time to give a number of different clubs a try. I'm back on the TEs and I don't think they're going anywhere for a long time. The fact that they're simple and boring means jack and squat to me.

• Like 3

Driver: TM R510TP

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX RC

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedge: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

9 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

example - 4-PW Stock Major brand none upgraded shaft 

Sub 70 - 574

Takomo - 459!!!!

Maltby TS2 - 680. 

Interesting, I did a little check myself.

Sub70 639CB / Modus 120 / Lamkin Crossline/ 5-pw:  $702

Maltby TS2 / Modus 120 / Lamkin Crossline / 5-pw: $555

Never heard of Takomo. Nice looking head though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

Interesting, I did a little check myself.

Sub70 639CB / Modus 120 / Lamkin Crossline/ 5-pw:  $702

Maltby TS2 / Modus 120 / Lamkin Crossline / 5-pw: $555

Never heard of Takomo. Nice looking head though.

You could use the same comparison with PXG (current $89 a club sale) If you can fit into one of their stock shafts it would be close to Maltby. Once you step up Into anything that’s a shaft up charge you’re paying much more. Is there  any magic pixie dust in those PXG iron heads? Nope but hey if that’s what you want, by all means go for it. 

build a set of each with the MMT 90 shafts and see what you come up with. 

Edited by Colej
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, TallGuy90 said:

So played around. 

off the tee it’s great. 230 ish for me. Which is good becuse I am maybe 240-50 with my driver. 

down side out of the ruff or off the deck it’s a very low flight I may mess with the weights but idk

I seem to be getting my 21 degree STh2 dialed in a bit. Hit it twice yesterday, both times from the short rough, and got around 220 with it both times. It's a mid height penetrating ball flight. Probably rolls out too much for trying to hold greens with it, but this is a "get it there" club for me. I'm not pin seeking from 200 yards out. Have only hit it off the tee once, which I topped it, so no data there. Need to hit it off the tee a few times before I decide on another hybrid versus a wood. My 4i is around a 200 yard club for me, so this fits nicely right above it. Rather meaningless, but I love the sound of the ball off this thing.

Finally got to use my PTM-5 during a round yesterday. Really need to get some more work in with it. The ball comes off the face much hotter than my old putter, so speed control was an issue for me yesterday. But, I was rolling nearly every putt (all 42 of them, LOL!!!!) true. The hotter face and heavier head is going to take some getting used to. But once I get that dialed in and get my speed figured out, I think this putter is going to be deadly!! 

Edited by BigTerp1524
  • Like 1

Great stuff comparing prices, but an important distinction is being missed, the ability to order the irons a given player needs. I have been looking at the new Wilson CB series but I have no need for a 4 iron, he’ll i rarely hit my 5 iron so why am I paying for them to sit in the closet? 

A set of TS series irons 6-GW with DG105 shafts and Winn grips $510. Not getting a full set of any off the shelf club for that.

• Like 2

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

7 minutes ago, games said:

I took time to look at Sub 70.  The iron designs are nice, with comparable prices to Maltby.  But, the wedges are double, almost triple, the price of a Maltby wedge.  Hard pass...   

I feel similarly.  Particularly because I'm in the graphite shaft world now.  If I want something that will get any sort of full swing effort, I more or less need to go with graphite.  Adding the cost of a Steelfiber or Recoil shaft to most new wedges makes the total a bit more than I might care to spend.  Especially as I've found I do rather well with the assorted Maltby wedges (I have two Maltby Design 60s, for example).

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

For those comparing other component companies to the TS-1, TS-2 series you need to compare apples to apples. 

The TS series are state of the art hollow construction with a urethane filling. Expensive to build. So that's what you have to compare them to. 

Let's be fair when throwing numbers out. 

Doing a spec-ed out build with the now disconnected PTM series is a far better comparison. They are $18/head cheaper. Standard forgings.  So now the argument because moot. It's not a knock against any component company or brand, it's just a fair comparison. 

• Like 4

The kool aid is strong in this group. I wasn’t even knocking Maltby 

but comparing a head that is not for sale anymore is not apples to apple. 

i often throw out Maltby to those looking for custom made but the complaint I get back is that the price is too high once you change out of Score LT Shaft. 

Sub70 has TXG while Maltby has some hack in a back yard on YouTube. 

Edited by TallGuy90