Maltby TS2

Popeye64

22 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

The kool aid is strong in this group. I wasn’t even knocking Maltby 

but comparing a head that is not for sale anymore is not apples to apple. 

i often throw out Maltby to those looking for custom made but the complaint I get back is that the price is too high once you change out of Score LT Shaft. 

Sub70 has TXG while Maltby has some hack in a back yard on YouTube. 

It was purely a reference for pricing. If I mentioned the TE head which is currently available.... its even cheaper. 

21 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

but comparing a head that is not for sale anymore is not apples to apple. 

i often throw out Maltby to those looking for custom made but the complaint I get back is that the price is too high once you change out of Score LT Shaft. 

"Kool aid" comment about pro-Maltby posts in a Maltby thread 

Plus: Passive-aggressive tone when no one criticized you

Equals:  Welcome to ignore

19 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

It was purely a reference for pricing. If I mentioned the TE head which is currently available.... its even cheaper. 

It would be even with a KBS. Built in custom shop. 4-PW but unlikely to get the same performance. 

your closet true Apple to Apple would have been the 739 to STi2 but the 739 is no longer available 

also customer Service will go to Sub70. 60 days to play and you can return no questions. Demo program Jason the owner will call you after a month to check in. 

maltby ? I had to fight tooth and nail because the built my clubs to the wrong spec with out my authorization 

Edited by TallGuy90

40 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Yep, no knock on Maltby there. Agreed Sub70 has some great deals if you like their no upcharge shafts (DG R300 or KBS Tour). But your assertion that Maltby is awful when you get out of the TT Score shaft is false.

I do highly recommend Sub70 to anyone. I've been buying from DTG/Hurricane/Sub70 for a long time. And yes, Sub70 is a much more effective marketer than Golfworks. But if you say Maltby sucks because Sub70 has TXG reviewing their stuff, then you also must say that Sub70 sucks because the PGA pros only play TM, Callaway, etc.

So let's compare the Sub70 no upcharge shaft deals to what it would cost to get Maltby into the same shafts. Sub70 doesn't have a no upcharge graphite, so let's check the good old Recoil.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Not sure why you keep picking the 639 CB . The 699 pro or 699 is much more inline with TS-2 at least performance wise. Still a hollow body injected serum.  

my beefs with Maltby aren’t really none other than Customer Service. But IMO in this day and age if the Maltby where as good as other DTC people would know. 

Ian and Matt haven’t mentioned them buy name but in the Q&A they said a large component company wont give them the okay to do a review . 

Edited by TallGuy90

I chose the 639 because I owned them. Great heads, being a one-piece forging they are closest to the TE Forged. The 699s are a cast design while the TS-2 is forged. While the design is similar in terms of the thin face, injected, etc.,  the cast v. forged manufacturing process is a significant cost difference.

If you want to ignore the cast/forged cost differences, then the Maltby STi2 would beat everything in terms of value. Those heads are a stunning bargain.

Agreed, the Sub70 customer service is awesome. I have not had issues with Golfworks assembly like you have, the two times I have bought Maltby assembled they have been perfect. But most of my Maltby purchases have been components as I do most of my own clubwork.

Yes, Golfworks does not play the internet review game. Not sure why. But that is a business decision. Unfortunately, for Maltby reviews you must go to the people that have actually purchased them, which everyone automatically rejects since they are financially vested.

I have no problem saying that Maltby woods don't compare well to most OEMs in my opinion. Wishon drivers have never won my heart either. But Maltby irons, especially the TS-1/TS-2 line, are as good as any out there.

• Like 1

From where I sit, one mentions a DTC golf club, every golfer I know doesn't have a clue. In their minds, if it ain't a major oem, it's got to be a knockoff. 

Fyi, my golf circle includes mid single cappers to God knows cappers.

We'll probably never know for sure, but something tells me Maltby is doing alright financially.

Who knows? Maybe the large oems are strongly against the idea of DSG widely distributing maltby products.

• Like 4

15 hcp

21 minutes ago, propman said:

From where I sit, one mentions a DTC golf club, every golfer I know doesn't have a clue. In their minds, if it ain't a major oem, it's got to be a knockoff. 

We'll probably never know for sure, but something tells me Maltby is doing alright financially.

Who knows? Maybe the large oems are strongly against the idea of DSG widely distributing maltby products.

Everything I’ve heard from my account rep at Golfworks is they’re swamped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuy90 said:

Not sure why you keep picking the 639 CB . The 699 pro or 699 is much more inline with TS-2 at least performance wise. Still a hollow body injected serum.  

my beefs with Maltby aren’t really none other than Customer Service. But IMO in this day and age if the Maltby where as good as other DTC people would know. 

Ian and Matt haven’t mentioned them buy name but in the Q&A they said a large component company wont give them the okay to do a review . 

If Ian  buys the products does he need there permission to review?

25 minutes ago, propman said:

This maybe sacriledge but arent most DTC  heads  rebadged /house brands from  2nd tier forging houses>

42 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

I chose the 639 because I owned them. Great heads, being a one-piece forging they are closest to the TE Forged. The 699s are a cast design while the TS-2 is forged. While the design is similar in terms of the thin face, injected, etc.,  the cast v. forged manufacturing process is a significant cost difference.

If you want to ignore the cast/forged cost differences, then the Maltby STi2 would beat everything in terms of value. Those heads are a stunning bargain.

Agreed, the Sub70 customer service is awesome. I have not had issues with Golfworks assembly like you have, the two times I have bought Maltby assembled they have been perfect. But most of my Maltby purchases have been components as I do most of my own clubwork.

Yes, Golfworks does not play the internet review game. Not sure why. But that is a business decision. Unfortunately, for Maltby reviews you must go to the people that have actually purchased them, which everyone automatically rejects since they are financially vested.

I have no problem saying that Maltby woods don't compare well to most OEMs in my opinion. Wishon drivers have never won my heart either. But Maltby irons, especially the TS-1/TS-2 line, are as good as any out there.

the original 919 drivers were up there with the  best

2 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

This maybe sacriledge but arent most DTC  heads  rebadged /house brands from  2nd tier forging houses>

I'd say that is a fairly accurate statement. "Most" but not "All". 

To lump a Ben Hogan Icon or PTXPro, Maltby TS-2, Sub70 639CB, New Level 902 etc. under a DTC umbrella is quite unfair though. Those DTC heads are all high quality. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

If Ian  buys the products does he need there permission to review?

I would doubt that he would need it.  In the past Ian has said he didn't like how the maltby heads were finished, but I'm not sure how much how much or if at all

....he has ever hit one

Britt has been vocal at how he really doesn't care about reviews. He knows the product speaks for itself.

I put Maltby heads against all sorts of clubs and they keep pace with anything on the market. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Side not doesn’t Tommy Armour have nothing to do with the TA dicks brand anymore ? TA worked with Sub70 on some irons 

I don't think TAIII was ever involved in the Tommy Armour company. The brand name of "Tommy Armour" has been bouncing around between different owners for probably 25 years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Side not doesn’t Tommy Armour have nothing to do with the TA dicks brand anymore ? TA worked with Sub70 on some irons 

31 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

I don't think TAIII was ever involved in the Tommy Armour company. The brand name of "Tommy Armour" has been bouncing around between different owners for probably 25 years.

Exactly. 

The Tommy Armour whose name is on Tommy Armour Golf was Tommy Armour Sr (or TA1).  He was The Man with MacGregor in the 50s and 60s, into the 70s.  There was a bit of a falling out, and Tommy Armour moved on to PGA Golf.  

The Tommy Armour 985 irons became the Tourney Custom 985 irons, due to this.

PGA Golf eventually changed its name to Tommy Armour Golf.  Tommy Armour was acquired by TearDrop (who also acquired Ram) during the 90s.  They went through bankruptcy, the Tommy Armour name was sold as part of that process.  And possibly sold again.  And Again.  😉

Tommy Armour III, the professional golfer, has not been involved with Tommy Armour Golf, such as I'm aware.  It's possible, it's just not in my memory banks.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

1. TS1

2. 699 Pro/699

3. PTM

4. TS2 

5. Sub70 739

I do like my KE4 3W

do I believe a Sim, maverick , and or really any major brand 3W would out perform . Yes but it would be double the price at least 

I have a Sim Ti 3w that has actually been kicked out of the bag by the KE4 TC 4w. Now the Sim is longer and may be the world's hottest 3w. But the KE4 TC is more versatile and about as straight as any FW I've ever hit. I've tried quite a few shafts in the Sim but just can't get it consistent enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

Looking at DSG financial 10-k they make no real mention of it. Which means it’s not a significant part of the revenue and or costs to the business 

it is probably included with Golf Galaxy if that broken out separately. It was GG that bought out Ralph before they were bought by Dicks. 

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

8 hours ago, Thayneil said:

Before you say that do your homework on the top DTC brands. Because that statement could not be further from the truth. Sure if you are buying from some offshore company you are buying junk. 

I have a set of Hogan Ptx Pros and Icons. They are amazing irons that at true decendants of the original Hogan 99 Apex Blades. Maltby are all origin designs and they have been copied in design and manufacturing process by a few OEMs. There are quite a few others who are making thier own designs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Before you say that do your homework on the top DTC brands. Because that statement could not be further from the truth. Sure if you are buying from some offshore company you are buying junk. 

I have a set of Hogan Ptx Pros and Icons. They are amazing irons that at true decendants of the original Hogan 99 Apex Blades. Maltby are all origin designs and they have been copied in design and manufacturing process by a few OEMs. There are quite a few others who are making thier own designs. 

many,  maybe not most and certainly not all!

Hogan Maltby etc certainly up there

10 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Golf Galaxy can carry Golfworks club making supplies but they Cannot carry the heads. Thier supplies are fairly extensive. 

Dicks on the other hand has bare minimum for Golfworks supplies in store. 

Was into an area GG couple weeks back.  Didn't see any GW club building supplies on the shelf.  I get the sense that these types of golf stores do not want to encourage club building/tinkering as it cuts into the revenue stream provided by the service and repair department.  And it's not just GG, all LGS no longer have supplies, beyond grips.  With those in short to non-existent supply.  And cannot even buy grip tape with your grips. 

If GW is already at max demand for their components, coupled with whatever supply chain constraints they are facing, there's no financial incentive to expand their offerings to retailers like DSG.  Why cut your margins?  Which would be the case if DSG (or any other retailer) were to carry GW heads.  Anyone in the know about Maltby heads are not going to buy at a price premium compared to buying direct.  NTM, surmise they would languish on the shelf.  Peeps go to a LGS to buy OEM, not "knock offs".  Which is how the component head market is viewed by the vast majority of golfers.  

BITD, Golfsmith had a viable business model of providing components and supplies by mail order (before the prevalence of online ordering).  Darn good heads, especially the SE line.  Then made the business decision to expand to brick and mortar.  We all know the end result of that decision.  

These are perilous times for the golf industry.  While things may appear bright for the moment, the demographics moving forward are not favorable.  To sustain a profitable venture, likely best to operate prudently and with caution.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

When GG bought GW, Ralph developed a line of irons just for the stores. You could walk in and try several different lines of clubs and buy the components off the shelf. All that went away with the Dicks buying GG. It was probably seen as a threat to the Hagen line they had invested so much into. As you can tell I'm no fan of DSG but they are literally the only game in town where I live now except for a 2nd swing about an hour away. The one GG within an hour had a good supply of GW supplies last I was there and the 3 DSG stores have very different inventory of golf stuff from one another.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet