2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Anybody have any interest in a set of brand new PTM Black heads?  I have lost all ability to hit any golf shots and I have no more time to practice so likely going to have to either get lessons or go to SGI irons lol

Not looking to make any money or anything just sell them for how much I bought them.  I paid $335 with Tax and shipping.  $350 shipped should pretty much take care of it

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, rbrdmkr said:

I played again today with the 890 14* and found it to be a satisfying up to date sound that never brought my attention away from the performance which is exceptional, I prefer it over the STW2 that I have gamed as well. again Popeye nailed it.

Popeye has mentioned that the 890 head might be the sleeper in the Maltby catalogue and I might try it.

I solved the STW2 with an slight longer length, the right swing weight, and adjusted the sound with cotton balls.

I have an extra Maltby shaft and might pop that on an 890 for a try out. I’m hearing lots of noise on the M890. 
By the way this Maltby thread is awesome. 

• Like 4

So driver shaft #3 went into the 890. The 50 g shaft was a tick longer on nearly every back to back drive by a yard or three. Sometimes a tad more. But it wasn't as consistent as I like and no where as consistent as my KE4 gamer. I struggled with timing.

So I went up in weight a bit with a Classic RT5, which is an old school, been around awhile shaft. S flex tipped an inch. Shaft is lively and feels fluid. Great kick sort of feeling, smooth. Tons of feedback going through the ball. I feel as if I can make adjustments through contact if that makes sense. One of those drivers that I don't need to look up to see what direction it's going. The hands already told the story. Haven't had that connected feel in a very long time.

Was very easy to turn the ball over as well. The numbers don't show how well this setup worked for dispersion. Not sure if I can get it into play before I go back to work. 

So... 890... Great feel. Easy to work. Nice mid, high flight. Low spin..... for me least,1649371785_Screenshot_20211015-160108_SamsungInternet.jpg.b9d335b8c6e1cc3deef649fd285208c0.jpg these numbers are really good. 

The big draw back is having to change three shafts without adapters. Is it better than the KE4???... eh... just different really, but for me in all the right ways. I'm looking forward to more time with this setup as it sits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any news on the TS-3 irons…update on arrival..photos??

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

7 hours ago, Sparty4202 said:

Any news on the TS-3 irons…update on arrival..photos??

Britt is saying it could be next summer due to shutdowns and the other issues.

Edited by deepred
  • Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 2/16/2021 at 12:05 PM, Popeye64 said:

The 890s I sent on to my step father and he is in love with them. Rapid taper A flex has totally transformed his game. I built up the STi2s and hit them a few times. I was very impressed with the overall feel and performance. The set sold before I have a chance to actually play with them. Building another set next week. First guy who hit the STi2 clubs had to have them. 

Its a lot of club for the money.

Its going back a bit but have you had any other feedback from him on the M890/RT A flex combo? Anymore feedback on the M890 in general?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 10/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, Bad9 said:

Its going back a bit but have you had any other feedback from him on the M890/RT A flex combo? Anymore feedback on the M890 in general?

My player loves the 14° M890 setup. It's low spin and a true fairway finder. Plus it has a great feel. Even better than the 10° head. The one I'm tinkering with has some good pop to it... I'm just struggling with any driver head right now. 

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

My player loves the 14° M890 setup. It's low spin and a true fairway finder. Plus it has a great feel. Even better than the 10° head. The one I'm tinkering with has some good pop to it... I'm just struggling with any driver head right now. 

Did your father have any more feedback on the irons?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 10/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, Snowman9000 said:

I play the original STi irons.  Can anyone tell me how the sole shape and leading edge of the STi2 compare to mine?  Thanks 

The new heads have a more pronounced camber to the sole I believe. I’m sure if you ask on Ralph Maltby.com or the GW website they will give you a more thorough breakdown.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 10/22/2021 at 9:02 PM, Bad9 said:

Did your father have any more feedback on the irons?

You mean the 890 irons?? My step dad... He loves everything about them. Transformed his game. Launch high and he can actually land on a green now instead of rolling up. The Rapid Tapers obviously had something to do with that. But overall he loves the 890s. 

4 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

You mean the 890 irons?? My step dad... He loves everything about them. Transformed his game. Launch high and he can actually land on a green now instead of rolling up. The Rapid Tapers obviously had something to do with that. But overall he loves the 890s. 

Thanks. I’m going to put together a 6 iron of the 890 with an RT I have to test out

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've come nearly full circle on the TS-1/TS-2 mixed bag. 

I sold my beloved/hated Hogan PTx Pros. Awesome when I'm on. Punishing when I'm not. 

Back in the bag is a few options. 4-6 TS-2... 6-GW TS-1. I can swap in the 6 irons as conditions change. I'll keep the TS-2 6 iron in wet conditions. And visa versa. 

Today was the start of simulator league. First course was Oakmont. Shot a 66, no strokes. Hit all but 4 greens. One double bogey. Clubs were just amazing today.

Setup gives me just enough forgiveness that when I'm off they help a bit. It's easy enough to deal with the loft gaps at the 6 iron spot. 

Mixed in are a few RTi 105g prototype shafts... which I love. 

I'm glad I took this photo because I realized how off the GW lie was.

20211116_204413.jpg

20211116_204359.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I believe they will survive at least another year. If they keep selling I'm sure they will stick around....But if you want a set I wouldn't wait till the last minute. 

I was asking because the website shows that the 3 iron is no longer available. I'm assuming the rest aren't far behind.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

2 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

So at the end of season the STi2 Irons are still in the bag. No complaints solid B irons. 

The Stw driver is out and on eBay. The performance isn’t terrible but the sound is unbearable.

the KE4 3W is a love hate relationship 

My findings are close to yours. 

- the sti2 irons are my gamers. 

- I agree the stw driver has the worst sound. Might try stuffing cotton balls in the head.

- really like the ke4 tc 4 wood with the Fuji Vista pro shaft.

- lukewarm on the ke4 tc 22 hybrid.

Still up in the air what I should do with the black ptm irons. Either reshafting or selling.

Have the maltby pro series (stiff) which are too stiff for me.

• Like 2

15 hcp

2 hours ago, propman said:

- I agree the stw driver has the worst sound. Might try stuffing cotton balls in the head.

Still up in the air what I should do with the black ptm irons. Either reshafting or selling.

Ke4 tc 22 hybrid went from being a go to - high, straight, long - to an absolute pariah in my golf bag this season. It’s getting replaced with a ts-2 4i very shortly here….

• Confused 1

A couple "lukewarm" opinions by those that have tried the KE4 TC hybrid.  What's the issue(s) you're experiencing?  Have had some distance problems at 150+ with a TS-1 6 iron this past season.  The age thing does have a way of catching up to one sooner or later.   So have had contemplations of slotting in a 25* TC 5H.  Use a 24* fairway (9W) from 160, 7 iron is 140-145.  Suppose the other option is switching to a TS-2 6 iron head (1.5* stronger).  But unsure if that's nothing more than marginal improvement.  

Acquired a KE4 Tour TC 5 wood with Kuro Kage (A flex) acquisition mid-season and have been very pleased with how it has played.  My first foray with an A flex shaft, and was cautiously optimistic.  Solid feel, good distance, straight, easy to launch.  So well in fact, been second guessing whether I should have went 4 wood to eke out a few more yards.  

The 58* wedge needs replacement, but waiting to scrutinize the M Max release.  See which direction to take vs. TSW.  The Max has me intrigued.  We had lusher then normal turf conditions this summer and my 54* TSW had a tendency to dig more than I preferred.   Tend to swing steeper with wedge in hand, more effective bounce might be beneficial.  

Trending Maltby, but the Driver and putter will stay as they are.  

Edited by Fellaheen51

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

8 hours ago, propman said:

I’d be interested in the PTM’s. Use that shaft in my hybrids and find it a good fit.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

9 hours ago, propman said:

I stuffed the driver head with cotton and yarn. Didn’t do much if any.

4 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

A couple "lukewarm" opinions by those that have tried the KE4 TC hybrid.  What's the issue(s) you're experiencing?  Have had some distance problems at 150+ with a TS-1 6 iron this past season.  The age thing does have a way of catching up to one sooner or later.   So have had contemplations of slotting in a 25* TC 5H.  Use a 24* fairway (9W) from 160, 7 iron is 140-145.  Suppose the other option is switching to a TS-2 6 iron head (1.5* stronger).  But unsure if that's nothing more than marginal improvement.  

Acquired a KE4 Tour TC 5 wood with Kuro Kage (A flex) acquisition mid-season and have been very pleased with how it has played.  My first foray with an A flex shaft, and was cautiously optimistic.  Solid feel, good distance, straight, easy to launch.  So well in fact, been second guessing whether I should have went 4 wood to eke out a few more yards.  

The 58* wedge needs replacement, but waiting to scrutinize the M Max release.  See which direction to take vs. TSW.  The Max has me intrigued.  We had lusher then normal turf conditions this summer and my 54* TSW had a tendency to dig more than I preferred.   Tend to swing steeper with wedge in hand, more effective bounce might be beneficial.  

Trending Maltby, but the Driver and putter will stay as they are.  

Glad to know it isn't just me struggling with the TSW wedges digging. They are fine for firmer conditions,  but really poor in soft conditions. Probably going to replace them all before too long. They have cost me a lot of strokes this year. Very disappointing because they look and feel great. Very disappointed that Maltby doesnt have a better option right now for softer conditions. A few more grinds and bounce angles in the TSW would have been great. But, the budget probably didnt allow it. I feel like despite the great reviews, I have seen numerous people recently talk about the dig issue, so these are a bit of a miss. Theoretically,  as a better player, I should love these and do in the right conditions. But, we have courses here in NE Florida that hold water and play wet. So, I need some help and some versatility. Just limited options with Maltby right now.

The KE4 Tour TC driver and 3w were not good fits for me. Driver was a hook machine. 3w spun like crazy with several shaft combos. 4,000 plus rpm and hit over 5,000 several times on Trackman. Look and feel was so, so good too. I really wanted to like it. 

I LOVE my TS-1's. Super clubs. Among the best on the market. Super feel, super consistent distances. Just love these. The FDI 2 iron was much better when I put steel in it. 

I really like playing component clubs and have for almost 20 years, but starting to move away because the woods aren't staying competitive and options are getting more limited, especially with all of the delays in the market. Getting harder to justify them for me. Now, I am a bit more demanding than most and still have plenty of speed (108-112 on trackman and 110-116 on GCQuad with driver), and tend to hit it high and spin it a lot. So, options are good. I would have needed a lower lofted driver to start, I would have needed a 3w that didn't spin as much and had adjustability, etc.

Edited by Jtgavigan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Regarding wedges, I seem to remember Popeye saying the M Series+ were being updated, either to chrome, or the new black finish being used on the TSWs.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors