In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard an interview with Lee Westwood at yesterdays Scottish Open and he said he had changed irons 2 weeks ago and loved the new ones, do i presume he has changed to these....?

I210s.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I hit both the i210 and i500 on Thursday. I agree with other reports that the i210 has a wonderful forged sound and feel on impact. The i500 was longer by a couple of yards, but had a clicky sound - guess because it is hollow.

Thought the I210 were cast?

M2 10.5, set to 9.75, D5, KK XT 70s
M2 Tour 16.5, Diamana Thump 85s
Titleist 913 21* Kiyoshi White 95 04 flex
Srixon 745 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 115s
Callaway Razr Forged GW 51
Vokey 56F 14 bounce, Vokey 60M
Scotty Newport 1.5

I hit both the i210 and i500 on Thursday. I agree with other reports that the i210 has a wonderful forged sound and feel on impact. The i500 was longer by a couple of yards, but had a clicky sound - guess because it is hollow.

Thought the I210 were cast?

Yes they are but very soft feel in particular on flushed strikes

So it's probably my cluttered Brian. But after 23 pages, I still am confused. Which set is more "forgivimg" or in other words if a 16 HC wanted to move up from G400. Which one would be more likely to have sucess with?

Asking for a friend

:smilie_titty: TSi1   9.0 Aldila Ascent 40g 
:smilie_titty: TSi2 16.5 FW GD IZ5

:smilie_titty:TSi1 20 & 23 Hybrid Aldial Ascent 50g
:smilie_titty:2021 T300 5-P Tensei Red R Flex
Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

So it's probably my cluttered Brian. But after 23 pages, I still am confused. Which set is more "forgivimg" or in other words if a 16 HC wanted to move up from G400. Which one would be more likely to have sucess with?

Asking for a friend

At 16 your "friend" should have no issues with either. :)

Callaway Epic Max

Ping G425 5 wood

Ping Anser 20° Hybrid

Tour Edge ES521 5&6 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 7-PW

Ping Glide 50,54,58

Ping Redwood Piper S

Just heard an interview with Lee Westwood at yesterdays Scottish Open and he said he had changed irons 2 weeks ago and loved the new ones, do i presume he has changed to these....?

But it looks like Hatton has full bag of i500s.....hmmmmm

I read in this thread that no pro was going to play a full set of the i500 irons.

Asking for a friend

Per PING, the i500 and the i210 are about equal in forgiveness. On their chart/matrix, they are shown on the same forgiveness level. i500 is for players who want/need higher ballflight and distance, and i210 is for those who want a better "feel", as PING says this is the best feeling iron they've ever made.

I read in this thread that no pro was going to play a full set of the i500 irons.

Didn't get a full view but definitely has a few in there....

Hit the 7i demo of the i500 yesterday. There were several things I liked and disliked.

Like: looks great at address and as a bag piece

Feels superb, not hollow at all and very soft but firm, like a solid piece

Pretty long. Unfortunately I don’t know the loft of the particular 7i I was using but they were flying about 10-15 yards farther than my PTx 34* 7i

The shaft that was in it was a 120 s300 and I may be switching shafts soon. It felt great

Forgiveness was off the charts. Hit the first slightly heavy, hit center green. Dropped another and hit it slightly thin, pitched one yard away from the first and they stopped about 2 yards away from each other, so identical performance on mishits

Dislike: very little stopping power for me, even on ones I hit perfectly, they still pitched and ran out about 10 yards. The greens were a little firm, and nothing was stopping like usual because of this, so I’d have to try them again

Depending on the loft, it was almost too long. Going off the 7i distance I’d have a hard time gapping with my 50/54/58 setup I use

Final thoughts: easily one of the most forgiving irons I’ve hit. It looks great, feels amazing, and is long. If I had the money and a few more chances to demo, I’d be tempted because I think they’d actually help me as a golfer based on where my game is at. I’ll tentatively say very well done by Ping with this iron

If you were looking more for performance and less of sound and feel, would you prefer the i500?

No shortage on the performance of the i210....NEVER did I have success with i20/i25/i200

Whatever they've done with i210, it was done properly.....I personally saw ,on course, gains of 10-13 yds over current 7i with tons of forgiveness and a beautiful trajectory....

Small example: my 7i flies roughly 145-148 normal conditions....downwind can add 10 maybe flushed....had a 166yd par 3 slightly down and from my right(I'm lefty) so I hit a baby cut with 2 balls....missed both but 1st ball ended up 10ft under pin 2nd ball ended up pin high left 12ft away... I would have needed a solid ,solid 6i with current set

Those are about my distances. I'm very glad to hear that my swing might be enough for these.

What are you using right now?

Interested to hear everyone else’s comments. If the i210 really is longer, what’s the point of the i500?

I think higher speed guys will see more benefits from i500.....just my thought...

I don't know about that. These are going to be similar to the p790, which I had. I ama higher swing speed player and they were awful. Too much inconsistency. I'll hit it for sure, but I get the feeling these will be too jacked for higher swing players.

I'll add to this...I prefer a softer feel....maybe I'm more sensitive to it than others....I used to like prov1x but it now feels too hard....I'm now using B-RXS ....too soft for some....hence my thought being the "forged face" of the i500 didn't appeal to a guy with high 70's low 80's iron swing.....the feel wasn't nearly as good as i210....like you needed more speed to get the face to work...I've hit many multi component irons ...Cobra did a nice job with the f6 line and Callaway with the old razr XF .... i500 had the Nike vr pro combo pocket cavity sound/feel but much louder....again this is one golfer's humble opinion....YMMV-FWIW

My local club fitter got their i500 and i210's in on Wednesday. I went in yesterday and hit both, I'm currently playing the i E1 irons so I went in feeling partial to the i210's. The i210's were great but I absolutely loved the feel of the i500. The face was noticeably softer, almost squishy and the ball really seemed to shoot off the face. According to the trackman (which is still don't fully trust) I was carrying the i500 7 iron an average of 182 yards compared to 171 with my current irons and 173 with the i210's. I'm not overly concerned about iron distance but the i500 felt very forgiving and was also flying significantly higher than my current set and the i210's. The i500 was also more appealing to my eye with a slightly thinner top line and a more simplified look at address.

Needless to say the i500 blew me away and I was not expecting to like it. Purchased a set on the spot, now I just have to wait the grueling 15-17 days from Monday, when they can officially place orders with Ping, for the clubs to get here. I have a hunch the i500's are going to sell very well. Price wise there was a significant difference in the i500's vs the i210's ($163/club vs $120/club) which may keep some folks away but for a hallow bodied, forged, players iron you should expect to pay a little more.

I have been playing the original PXG iron for the past 3 years. For me, I have not found another iron that has come close. I hit the i500 7 iron today. These are definitely in the same ballpark. To me, the i500’s seemed to be between the pxg tour and standard pxg heads. The blade length is slightly smaller than my standard pxg.

Performance between the two seemed very similar. Trajectory was very close - both mid to high. I felt like my pxg’s have a very slight right to left ball flight over the i500.

Pxg’s feel a little softer. I500’s give more feedback on off center hits. Heel and high strikes felt a little more hallow.

I want to see the short and long irons. Very interested to see trackman data side by side with my pxg’s.

Being a club ho, it’s been strange the past few years playing with the same set. Longest run for a very long time. People can argue all they want about the playability and cost of pxg. The best part of the company may be how it has pushed its competitors to up their game. P790, i500, T-MB, etc. all really good examples.

My local club fitter got their i500 and i210's in on Wednesday. I went in yesterday and hit both, I'm currently playing the i E1 irons so I went in feeling partial to the i210's. The i210's were great but I absolutely loved the feel of the i500. The face was noticeably softer, almost squishy and the ball really seemed to shoot off the face. According to the trackman (which is still don't fully trust) I was carrying the i500 7 iron an average of 182 yards compared to 171 with my current irons and 173 with the i210's. I'm not overly concerned about iron distance but the i500 felt very forgiving and was also flying significantly higher than my current set and the i210's. The i500 was also more appealing to my eye with a slightly thinner top line and a more simplified look at address.

Needless to say the i500 blew me away and I was not expecting to like it. Purchased a set on the spot, now I just have to wait the grueling 15-17 days from Monday, when they can officially place orders with Ping, for the clubs to get here. I have a hunch the i500's are going to sell very well. Price wise there was a significant difference in the i500's vs the i210's ($163/club vs $120/club) which may keep some folks away but for a hallow bodied, forged, players iron you should expect to pay a little more.

Good to hear.....but let's not forget the loft is 30* compared to 33*

This is what it comes down to. Does the i500 fly higher and spin more than the power lofted i210? If not, then it comes down to looks/sound/feel preference.

I am not a huge fan of lofting down clubs to make them go further, but was surprised at how much higher trackman had my ball flight with the i500's, even with the lower lofted 7 iron. I get that these clubs are most likely not fully forged and went into the session feeling as though the i500 was too gimmicky. For me they checked all the boxes in terms of outperforming the others on trackman and I loved the look at address. For those who prefer to play Ping clubs I think these will be a solid option.

I'd definitely encourage anyone who's intrigued to go hit them for yourself. I could see these clubs being very popular in combo sets as well with the higher irons being the i500's and the lower irons in iBlades.

I am not a huge fan of lofting down clubs to make them go further, but was surprised at how much higher trackman had my ball flight with the i500's, even with the lower lofted 7 iron. I get that these clubs are most likely not fully forged and went into the session feeling as though the i500 was too gimmicky. For me they checked all the boxes in terms of outperforming the others on trackman and I loved the look at address. For those who prefer to play Ping clubs I think these will be a solid option.

I'd definitely encourage anyone who's intrigued to go hit them for yourself. I could see these clubs being very popular in combo sets as well with the higher irons being the i500's and the lower irons in iBlades.

My heart and mind were set on them.....until I hit them.....FOR ME very clacky sound/feel that reminded me of Nike vr pro combo long irons ....without feeling as well ..again to each their own....I was also fairly hyped towards the jpx900 forged....i210 just check my own personal boxes.

Wishing you the best!

If the i210 irons didn't have that horrible finish on them I would be pre-ordering ASAP. I hated the way the i200s looked after a few rounds. Wish they went back to the S55 finish, those clubs still look amazing today.

SIM 2.0 Max 9 Ventus Blue 6s

SIM 2.0 Max 15 Ventus Blue 7s

915 Hybrid 21

Mizuno 921 Tour 4-AW $ Taper

Vokey SM8 Blue Slate (54.10.S & 58.08.M)

Rory McIlroy "RORS" Scotty Cameron

My first set of fitted irons was the G25. I played them for several years and loved them, but as my game improved, I wanted to try a different set. I ended up selling the G25s and bought AP1’s which I’ve been playing for years. I’ve done well with the AP1’s but I miss playing the G25’s and I’m ready to go back to PING. My technique and consistency is much better than when I first played the G25s and I’m ready for a more compact iron. I have a moderate swing speed and would like more height in my ball flight than what I’m currently getting with the AP1s. I suppose I’ll need to hit both the i210 and i500, but it sounds like the i500 will give me both the height and distance I’m looking for with similar forgiveness to the i210.

If you were looking more for performance and less of sound and feel, would you prefer the i500?

No shortage on the performance of the i210....NEVER did I have success with i20/i25/i200

Whatever they've done with i210, it was done properly.....I personally saw ,on course, gains of 10-13 yds over current 7i with tons of forgiveness and a beautiful trajectory....

Small example: my 7i flies roughly 145-148 normal conditions....downwind can add 10 maybe flushed....had a 166yd par 3 slightly down and from my right(I'm lefty) so I hit a baby cut with 2 balls....missed both but 1st ball ended up 10ft under pin 2nd ball ended up pin high left 12ft away... I would have needed a solid ,solid 6i with current set

Those are about my distances. I'm very glad to hear that my swing might be enough for these.

G400 and P790's

:smilie_titty: TSi1   9.0 Aldila Ascent 40g 
:smilie_titty: TSi2 16.5 FW GD IZ5

:smilie_titty:TSi1 20 & 23 Hybrid Aldial Ascent 50g
:smilie_titty:2021 T300 5-P Tensei Red R Flex
Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

WRX'rs know what the pros are doing before the pros know what they are doing. Dont you know?

WRX'rs know what the pros are doing before the pros know what they are doing. Dont you know?

I know! Hahaha....only on wrx

G400 and P790's

7i with those irons carry 150? Not sure if i210 will improve on carry....found out though the awt 2.0 shaft in regular is 98g raw with mid-high flight design...this must be part of the reason...overall flight being higher for more carry because lofts are close.