In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

I hit both today at Rangeline Golf in Joplin, Mo. Demos of each in 7iron were available with multiple shafts.

I love the looks of both...but I will only speak of the i500 due to the thread topic.

Trajectory was high but not stupid high with the correct shaft.

Distance was plenty, though again not stupid long. I don't believe gapping wedges, etc.. will be an issue.

I have already said this, but they look great in the bag and behind the ball.

I don't care what sound a club makes, I only care how it performs. That said, these make a loud and distinct click at impact.

Feel....the biggest downfall (YMMV) in my opinion with this club. In my mind this iron is in direct competition with the TM P790 and the P790 in my opinion only has a ton more feel and in a good way. Feel would keep me from playing this club as in my mind feel is part of the performance factor.

Now the i210....I will stop with.... it for me beats the i200 in every way. I know, I wasn't going to talk about it here :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first set of fitted irons was the G25. I played them for several years and loved them, but as my game improved, I wanted to try a different set. I ended up selling the G25s and bought AP1’s which I’ve been playing for years. I’ve done well with the AP1’s but I miss playing the G25’s and I’m ready to go back to PING. My technique and consistency is much better than when I first played the G25s and I’m ready for a more compact iron. I have a moderate swing speed and would like more height in my ball flight than what I’m currently getting with the AP1s. I suppose I’ll need to hit both the i210 and i500, but it sounds like the i500 will give me both the height and distance I’m looking for with similar forgiveness to the i210.

Arguably G25 and AP1 are playing in the same league, at least in my mind. Aren’t they?

I hit both today at Rangeline Golf in Joplin, Mo. Demos of each in 7iron were available with multiple shafts.

I love the looks of both...but I will only speak of the i500 due to the thread topic.

Distance was plenty, though again not stupid long. I don't believe gapping wedges, etc.. will be an issue.

I don't care what sound a club makes, I only care how it performs. That said, these make a loud and distinct click at impact.

Feel....the biggest downfall (YMMV) in my opinion with this club. In my mind this iron is in direct competition with the TM P790 and the P790 in my opinion only has a ton more feel and in a good way. Feel would keep me from playing this club as in my mind feel is part of the performance factor.

Now the i210....I will stop with.... it for me beats the i200 in every way. I know, I wasn't going to talk about it here :-)

Sound is feel?

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

My first set of fitted irons was the G25. I played them for several years and loved them, but as my game improved, I wanted to try a different set. I ended up selling the G25s and bought AP1’s which I’ve been playing for years. I’ve done well with the AP1’s but I miss playing the G25’s and I’m ready to go back to PING. My technique and consistency is much better than when I first played the G25s and I’m ready for a more compact iron. I have a moderate swing speed and would like more height in my ball flight than what I’m currently getting with the AP1s. I suppose I’ll need to hit both the i210 and i500, but it sounds like the i500 will give me both the height and distance I’m looking for with similar forgiveness to the i210.

Arguably G25 and AP1 are playing in the same league, at least in my mind. Aren’t they?

They are...different feel but similar level of forgiveness. I’m ready to move on from the true GI and the players distance iron is appealing to me. I’ve played the i200 several times as well as the CF16 and I felt very comfortable with both.

Haha.....funny.....but don't you equate sound with feel?

thanks, I was in G-Town Wed and they told me Monday next week

Anybody know what the steelfiber up charge is?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

If the i210 irons didn't have that horrible finish on them I would be pre-ordering ASAP. I hated the way the i200s looked after a few rounds. Wish they went back to the S55 finish, those clubs still look amazing today.

The finish comes off easily with a Scotchbrite pad and Bar Keepers Friend if you want to make it even easier.

If the i210 irons didn't have that horrible finish on them I would be pre-ordering ASAP. I hated the way the i200s looked after a few rounds. Wish they went back to the S55 finish, those clubs still look amazing today.

The finish comes off easily with a Scotchbrite pad and Bar Keepers Friend if you want to make it even easier.

Should you have to do this with a $1,200 - $1,500 set of irons though?

thanks, I was in G-Town Wed and they told me Monday next week

Anybody know what the steelfiber up charge is?

TGW says $40 US, so $60 Can.? So are you telling me I have to wait till Mon. for fitting cart heads!? Good thing I am working Mon. Looking forward to hitting them! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Have to? I’d say that’s up to each individual based on their feelings about the stock finish.

We don’t bat an eye when someone takes a new $150-$200 wedge and strips the finish to make it raw.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Have to? I'd say that's up to each individual based on their feelings about the stock finish.

We don't bat an eye when someone takes a new $150-$200 wedge and strips the finish to make it raw.

I see your point, however, that's not really my point.

The finish on the i200s looks like crap after a few rounds. Hell, even the pre-release pics of the i500 wedge has the finish looking like crap (Page 1 of this thread).

There was a day, not too long ago, when PING finishes were very durable. Often times folks would describe the i5/i10/i15/s55 as indestructible, and looking great after years of usage.

My point is if you're spending $1,500 on a new set of irons, should you have to use a hack/workaround with Scotchbrite to make the finish not look like crap after a few range sessions?

Have to? I'd say that's up to each individual based on their feelings about the stock finish.

We don't bat an eye when someone takes a new $150-$200 wedge and strips the finish to make it raw.

I see your point, however, that's not really my point.

The finish on the i200s looks like crap after a few rounds. Hell, even the pre-release pics of the i500 wedge has the finish looking like crap (Page 1 of this thread).

There was a day, not too long ago, when PING finishes were very durable. Often times folks would describe the i5/i10/i15/s55 as indestructible, and looking great after years of usage.

My point is if you're spending $1,500 on a new set of irons, should you have to use a hack/workaround with Scotchbrite to make the finish not look like crap after a few range sessions?

I do see your point, and I am not trying to imply it is invalid. You are paying for a product and you have certain expectations of said product- that’s fair.

I have owned many sets of irons- G2’s, i5’s, chrome plated sets- and I currently have G400’s that I’ve had since their release, and a set of Eye 2’s that I play around with from time to time. Some finishes just wear differently. My chrome plated sets have started to look less than great after hitting lots of balls off of sandy ranges.

My opinion on the G400 finish is that it takes a while to “wear in”. Sure, after a few rounds, they looked a little prematurely worn, but the more I continued to play them, the more the finish evened-out again from use. I understand that this may not be everyone’s ideal, but I think after a while they look fine again. Some may want to speed up this process by taking a scotch brite pad to their clubs.

I know my G400’s are not going to be the same as my Eye 2’s, but Ping also seems to be moving to softer metals in their castings to enhance feel. But again, I look at my clubs as tools and don’t get too upset with the small blemishes. Other people may have different expectations and that’s fair, it’s their money.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Hit the i500 7 iron with the stock DG120 Stiff shaft. Getting 178 carry consistenly. These are really really nice. Spin was a little low but it was indoors on GC2 and a hard surface to hit off of. I thought they felt and looked outstanding. Size wise they are not big or clunky. Gaming x forged but I could see myself jumping on these i500. Want to know the specs first as far as each head and specific loft. Maybe combo with Iblades depending on price. I was being told $1500 for these but I don't know if that is true. I like the looks a whole lot more than the p790s. I think PING has a winner if the price is not way high.

@swooshLt As for the carrry on those two 7 irons

The 790's have a bad fit (for me) shaft in them, I don't have the G400 in hand yet, they are on order :cheesy: I know, I know, only on WRX would someone be scoping out new irons before the set they just ordered arrived....LOL

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Aren't the two scientifically proven to be closely linked

Is it just me or is anyone else licking their chops waiting for loads of the i500's to start showing up on the bst?

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Nope but it does solve the issue.

Sound is feel?

I did not say nor imply sound is feel?? If asking my opinion, no sound is not feel. I did say that IMO feel is a performance category for the iron I choose while sound is not.

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I really don't. At least for me they are two very distinct parameters and while feel matters to me, sound does not play into the equation of what clubs I play. I certainly understand that for some sound is important.

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I really don't. At least for me they are two very distinct parameters and while feel matters to me, sound does not play into the equation of what clubs I play. I certainly understand that for some sound is important.

I hear ya.....not being argumentative but for me quiet sound; soft feel.....loud sound; hard feel....that's just me though

Hit the 7i at my local Golf town this aft. Straight from the range where I was peppering the 165 flag w my 8

Only had one head right and one left and 2 shafts .. DG120 in x or s .. I hit the x .. only stock length

Great look and feel

Sim was crap. Telling me 82mph swing when I know I'm 93 from recent Trackman sessions with my 7

That said " 82 " was producing 165 carry. My current s55 carry is low 170's w spin a little over 7100 swinging 92.5 to 93.2

The i500 had me spinning consistently 6200, I'd like to see carry on Trackman and preferably off of grass

I am now thinking of just getting a 6i first before getting the whole set. Steelfibre 110x, red dot, plus 0.75"

I may prefer the s55 shape but could be used to user usage

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Am I the only one who sees two head shapes? One seems rounder while the other looks more square. Or is just the higher lofted irons have that natural round look?

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

Got to hit the 210 and 500s today. i500s for me on looks, feel and boy are they long! One club for me! 210s are same distance, but slightly softer vs. i200s. :smilie_ping:

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅