2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

In all the reviews I've seen, forgiveness is mentioned with the i500, not the i210. Also, for whatever it's worth, Ping's official placement for the i500 in their product lineup is between the i210 and the G400. From what reviews are out there, it sounds like the i500 offers more forgiveness than the i210. I don't think it's anything drastic though.

GL, Let me get you some more information here. This is only my opinion, but I will go on record, that i210 and i500 turn out to be very much in the same boat. You could choose either one and come out with similar results in everything. Except distance. I don't know how PING did this, especially since we are always clamoring on and on about the "loft" of each particular iron. But my personal testing showed that the difference between i210 and i500 was 6-10 yards. I found neither "easier" to hit than the other. They both helped me arrive at the desired shot shape (I hit it slightly left to right). And IMO mis-hit "forgiveness" is already baked into each one of these irons down to the bone.

That's great feedback, and it's consistent with the numbers that are showing up in these reviews. Appreciate the insight!

GL, Both irons launch absolutely beautifully, and come to a peak height and an angle of descent that is eerily similar. I hit a draw. They only differed in the final carry distance number. I posted this on the other i500 thread and want to include this here. Using same shaft in both, the i210's stock shaft the True Temper Dynamic Gold 120, in Stiff at Stnd length. Both the Black dot fitting cart heads. Brand new TaylorMade TP5 balls was used. Foresight GC2 set at sea level. edit: Hit both irons with no bias towards one or the other (I'm not pursuing either for my own bag ) and just my "stock" feeling swing/shot shape. Afterwards culled out the best and worst from the total of about 20 shots........

You have provided a lot of insight on these irons......What are your plans if any as far as playing them?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^ zero ^^^^

K.L.P.

Certified Master Club Fitter

PING Top 100 Fitter

I really appreciate the insight. I know it’s tough to make a recommendation based on handicap, but, in your opinion, can a 17 hc play the i500? I’m pretty consistent with my ball striking. It’s my short game where I’m losing strokes. My first set of irons was the G25 followed by the AP1. I’m ready for a more compact head but still need some forgiveness. I played the i200 for a while and really liked the feel, but I lost yards...hence my interest in the i500.

^^^^ zero ^^^^

K.L.P.

PING Top 100 Fitter

I really appreciate the insight. I know it’s tough to make a recommendation based on handicap, but, in your opinion, can a 17 hc play the i500? I’m pretty consistent with my ball striking. It’s my short game where I’m losing strokes. My first set of irons was the G25 followed by the AP1. I’m ready for a more compact head but still need some forgiveness. I played the i200 for a while and really liked the feel, but I lost yards...hence my interest in the i500.

Lefty....I too have lost a step....current 7i about 148 carry....i210 , which feels better IMHO, carries nearly 160! Don't rule it out ....the misses with i210 are incredible!

After seeing the clubs in hand and watching both Shiels' and Crossfield's reviews, I think that Ping could have designed and built these clubs just for me alone. I'm already a high spin player and at 63 (and sick), my swing speed is falling fast. I hit the ball too high and too short these days but there's no way I can live with the usual GI shovels. I also prefer a thin blade-like sole. The i500 in the Power spec, to keep the launch down a bit and to normalize my spin rates, is exactly what I need. So, even the "drawbacks" of the design are positives for me right now. I roughly described this iron as what I needed in a thread several months ago before I even knew it existed, thinking I was describing a Unicorn that couldn't be built with current tech. They may not be perfect but, for me, they're going to be as close as there is right now. I don't think I'm alone and I'm betting Ping has a big winner on their hands with this one. I couldn't be more excited about this club and my order is in.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

^^^^ zero ^^^^

K.L.P.

PING Top 100 Fitter

I really appreciate the insight. I know it's tough to make a recommendation based on handicap, but, in your opinion, can a 17 hc play the i500? I'm pretty consistent with my ball striking. It's my short game where I'm losing strokes. My first set of irons was the G25 followed by the AP1. I'm ready for a more compact head but still need some forgiveness. I played the i200 for a while and really liked the feel, but I lost yards...hence my interest in the i500.

Lefty....I too have lost a step....current 7i about 148 carry....i210 , which feels better IMHO, carries nearly 160! Don't rule it out ....the misses with i210 are incredible!

Add +10 carry for the i500. I too saw a 10 yard difference in carry. I'm gonna test my gamer CMB's tomm vs i500 same Modus 105 shaft.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Just went down and hit the i500’s against my i E1’s. Same shaft (PX 6.0) same lie angle and same length so totally apples to apples. The i500 was outstanding. Looks, feel, consistency, workability, distance and dispersion were all better with i500. I’m not sure how to explain it but I was hitting a baby fade with the i500 and a draw with the E1’s. The faded i500 was traveling further and higher with less spin than the E1 and the dispersion was unreal. I could still work a draw with the i500 but I can’t recall hitting very many if any shots that went hard left.

I’ll be scheduling a fitting for the i500’s to get them fully dialed in and then I’ll spend the next 3-4 weeks hating my current irons for not being i500’s.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Some of the review videos I've seen are getting super low spin. Is there worry these will roll out too much even though the peak height is good? I really want to demo these!

I hit into real bermuda greens - They weren't soft at all, ball usually makes little to no pitch mark at this course. The ball from 200 out was inside of 1 ft from its pitch mark with the 7 iron. I am NOT a high ball hitter, so this was very surprising to me. I have no spin numbers, just the on course results, which is frankly more important to me. Obviously results will vary for every person, but I was 100% surprised by the stoping power as I assumed they were on the lower end of the spin spectrum.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

^^^^ zero ^^^^

K.L.P.

PING Top 100 Fitter

I really appreciate the insight. I know it's tough to make a recommendation based on handicap, but, in your opinion, can a 17 hc play the i500? I'm pretty consistent with my ball striking. It's my short game where I'm losing strokes. My first set of irons was the G25 followed by the AP1. I'm ready for a more compact head but still need some forgiveness. I played the i200 for a while and really liked the feel, but I lost yards...hence my interest in the i500.

Add +10 carry for the i500. I too saw a 10 yard difference in carry. I'm gonna test my gamer CMB's tomm vs i500 same Modus 105 shaft.

Are you saying 20 over my current set?

^^^^ zero ^^^^

K.L.P.

PING Top 100 Fitter

Are you saying 20 over my current set?

Stronger lofts + less spin = yes

Some of the review videos I've seen are getting super low spin. Is there worry these will roll out too much even though the peak height is good? I really want to demo these!

I hit them tonight with a PX 6.0 (not the LZ) shaft in a 7 iron and was getting 6200-6800 RPM’s depending on the swing. I don’t think they will be too low spinning for the average Am.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Mtex22.....funny thing is I saw same thing with jpx900F.....but truthfully, I need spin in my game , launch is needed too i210 provides both! Better launch and spin plus added distance... not sure how they did it but I'm glad they did..

Agreed! I won't be gaming the i500 I was seeing just under 4k spin with the 7 iron vs just under 5k spin with the Ap2 718 but 10 yards short. Thats why I am bringing in my gamer tomorrow to see the comparison. AP2's have always been on the shorter side for me

Mtex22.....funny thing is I saw same thing with jpx900F.....but truthfully, I need spin in my game , launch is needed too i210 provides both! Better launch and spin plus added distance... not sure how they did it but I'm glad they did..

Agreed! I won't be gaming the i500 I was seeing just under 4k spin with the 7 iron vs just under 5k spin with the Ap2 718 but 10 yards short. Thats why I am bringing in my gamer tomorrow to see the comparison. AP2's have always been on the shorter side for me

Please post comparison.....and make you hit i210....I'm also NOT playing 7000yd tee boxes and not looking for max distance....I'm a forged snob but looking help as I age....psi tour forged are nice heads but really blades in the grand scheme. I don't want a bulky, super strong SGI iron but I am looking for better trajectory in the long irons in particular and a touch more spin....jpx900F gave the distance via strong lofts but not proper trajectory or spin....then along comes the i210....had not success with i20/i25/i200....did have success with anser forged 2013 model and wish I never sold those...

i210 is actually softer and more pleasing than even anser forged ever so slightly for me.

Can someone explain to me how a cast-iron is softer than a forged iron? I could understand if you were comparing an old club with a new club but two clubs released on the same exact day what was the point of even making the i500 forged if you could have made it cast it would have been softer and cost less to make?

Because forging is never ever the reason for any club to be soft feeling. Sound, material, and design determine how a club "feels". This is a hollow iron made with a thin forged hard steel face. The fact ping has been able to keep it from sounding like a hybrid or fairway is a nice feat.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Can someone explain to me how a cast-iron is softer than a forged iron? I could understand if you were comparing an old club with a new club but two clubs released on the same exact day what was the point of even making the i500 forged if you could have made it cast it would have been softer and cost less to make?

Calling clubs like the i500 and TM P790 forged is just absolute BS. These clubs have nothing in common with true forgings like Titleist CB/MB or Mizuno MP 18.

Calling clubs like the i500 and TM P790 forged is just absolute BS. These clubs have nothing in common with true forgings like Titleist CB/MB or Mizuno MP 18.

They have everything in common. They're a hunk of steel at the end of a shaft. And one is no better than the other.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

1st off , I never said i210 was SOFTER that a forged iron....I said ,to me, it possibly softer than the ANSER FORGED iron! One particular iron made by the same manufacturer......take your time....

Biggest myth in golf.

The coveted feel attributed to a forged muscle back blade is mostly due to the fact that it's a true MB blade, not because it's forged. In blades there is significant mass (metal) directly behind the sweetspot. That feels awesome on perfectly struck shots, but mishits really sting your hands and feel awful (feedback). In cavity back designs, that mass is removed and spread around the perimeter for forgiveness on mishits. Forged cavity backs feel no better than their cast counterparts as they too have had that mass removed.

Ping (and other OEMs including Mizuno) know this that's why they add light weight, vibration absorbing elastomer and other multi-material badges and inserts behind the sweetspot in their cavity backs. These designs enhance feel yet retain the benefit of a perimeter weighted/cavity design.

The i500, with its hollow construction, is essentially a cavity backed iron with a thin and presumably "springy" face, but lacks the elastomer that Ping has been perfecting in their 200 line. Some folks like that thin-faced powerful feel. Callaway made a maraging steel thin faced iron that was very popular for a while and had a unique feel (Diablo Tour I think).

Relative to forged being inherently softer than cast, why do forged blades sting your hands and rattle the fillings out of your teeth when mishit? If the soft forged metal was the reason for the feel we all covet, they should still feel softer and less harsh on mishits than cast/cavity designs, but in fact the opposite is true.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Biggest myth in golf.

The coveted feel attributed to a forged muscle back blade is mostly due to the fact that it's a true MB blade, not because it's forged. In blades there is significant mass (metal) directly behind the sweetspot. That feels awesome on perfectly struck shots, but mishits really sting your hands and feel awful (feedback). In cavity back designs, that mass is removed and spread around the perimeter for forgiveness on mishits. Forged cavity backs feel no better than their cast counterparts as they too have had that mass removed.

Ping (and other OEMs including Mizuno) know this that's why they add light weight, vibration absorbing elastomer and other multi-material badges and inserts behind the sweetspot in their cavity backs. These designs enhance feel yet retain the benefit of a perimeter weighted/cavity design.

The i500, with its hollow construction, is essentially a cavity backed iron with a thin and presumably "springy" face, but lacks the elastomer that Ping has been perfecting in their 200 line. Some folks like that thin-faced powerful feel. Callaway made a maraging steel thin faced iron that was very popular for a while and had a unique feel (Diablo Tour I think).

Relative to forged being inherently softer than cast, why do forged blades sting your hands and rattle the fillings out of your teeth when mishit? If the soft forged metal was the reason for the feel we all covet, they should still feel softer and less harsh on mishits than cast/cavity designs, but in fact the opposite is true.

You make some great points there. Well done.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Biggest myth in golf.

You make some great points there. Well done.

Exactly! It's about design.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Its always been about design with Ping, from day one. Thats why they are usually ugly... The Eye2 was sooo ugly that it was beautiful.

These are actually beautiful from the get go...

cant wait to see them first hand

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Got fit for the i500s yesterday. No big difference in distance compared to my Apex CF16s (3-5 yards further) but much better feel, dispersion, and although just as high a more penetrating ball flight due to less spin. Surprised the Modus 105s were the best fit for me along with steel fibers. Ordered the Modus. Will check back once I get them.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

Got fit for the i500s yesterday. No big difference in distance compared to my Apex CF16s (3-5 yards further) but much better feel, dispersion, and although just as high a more penetrating ball flight due to less spin. Surprised the Modus 105s were the best fit for me along with steel fibers. Ordered the Modus. Will check back once I get them.

How much is Ping up charging for the Steelfibers? $50/club? More?

Thanks

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Both ali taylor and rick shiels hit the 7 iron around 185 and the pw around 130. So 2 irons have to cover 55 yards in between. I think it may be important to fit the lofts of the mid irons. Also spin is surprisingly similar for the 5 and 7 irons. I am looking for more spin so these aren't for me but im sure many people will love them. They look like the prettiest club on the block.

Yeah, that's my biggest fear with them. The PW remained basically the same as every other PW they've tried, yet the 7i is 15yds longer. How do you fill a 55yd gap with an 8 and 9 iron?

Nothing is safe in my bag!