2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

You guys think somebody will add hotmelt to these heads? Sounds interesting

If they do they need hotmelt added to their head.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ordered these with project x shafts? Do they carry an up charge?

PX (not LZ) are an upcharge. I believe $21 per club.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Although the gapping issues seen with these clubs appear to be very real, I'm thinking/hoping that this is primarily an issue with higher swing speed players. Those of us with lower SS (90mph driver for me) may not see these problems to the same extent as those with higher swing speeds - simply because the "spring" effect is less. I say this because there were similar concerns (although to a lesser extent) with the Titleist AP3 and TM P790. I have had AP3s since February, with all heads 1 degree weak vs standard. They are quite hot and do fly father than my previous Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons (about 1/2 club), but not the full club longer that the higher speed folks were seeing, and for me the gaps are pretty consistent. My main issue with the AP3s is that I hate the offset.

I've ordered an i500 6 iron built to (essentially) the same spec as my AP3 6 iron - 29 degree loft (retro spec), same D3 swing weight. The only change is that I went with the DG 105 shaft vs the XP 105 - mainly because these i500s reportedly launch extremely high already and I'm ordering it at +2 degrees weak. I may have to tweak the loft a bit but I do have a bending machine.

I don't really expect it to carry much, if any, farther than my Titleist, simply because my clubhead speed isn't very high and I'm already playing a "juiced" iron. But, as long as it's not a huge jump I'm pretty sure I can configure the set with appropriate distance gaps. My main concern is the spin rate & associated stopping power. I'm a relative low-ball hitter but I do tend to spin my irons more than most. As long as the i500 6 iron performs similarly to the AP3, I would likely spec the rest out at the same lofts as my AP3 (and my previous 2 sets of JPX irons). Basically, weaker lofts in the 6 & 7 with 4 degree gaps all the way from 6 thru wedge. I think this would also help to close the distance gap between clubs vs Ping's loft standards. This has been a good formula for me for a number of years now...

6 - 29 deg

7 - 32 deg

8 - 36 deg

9 - 40 deg

P - 44 deg

If all that works out, the remaining potential issue might be the gap from PW to GW. My GW is a Vokey 48 that gaps pretty good with my AP3 PW, so hopefully also not an issue. We will see. If I can get rid of the offset of the AP3s while not losing any distance or stopping ability I'll be a happy camper.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the spring flex of the face?

Depends on where it goes. You wouldn't want it on the face, not only because of the effect it could have on the flex, but if it's not evenly applied it would exacerbate the dreaded hot spots everyone worries about. Plus, if that stuff is on an area that's supposed to flex, you're eventually going to wind up with an expensive rattle.

I always scratch my head at the notion of hotmelt for sound tuning (not weight adjustment). If that was really the proper solution I would expect OEMs to incorporate it as part of the manufacturing process. Why would they not be better at applying the right amount of the right stuff in the right places better than we can in a shop.

Doing it seems like a no brainer for better sales, so I have to think there is a tradeoff, performance or otherwise.

Case in point: Titleist drivers have a reputation for great sound. They also have another reputation. And as they've worked to get rid of the second reputation, many claim the sound isn't as pleasing as prior models.

Although the gapping issues seen with these clubs appear to be very real, I'm thinking/hoping that this is primarily an issue with higher swing speed players. Those of us with lower SS (90mph driver for me) may not see these problems to the same extent as those with higher swing speeds - simply because the "spring" effect is less. I say this because there were similar concerns (although to a lesser extent) with the Titleist AP3 and TM P790. I have had AP3s since February, with all heads 1 degree weak vs standard. They are quite hot and do fly father than my previous Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons (about 1/2 club), but not the full club longer that the higher speed folks were seeing, and for me the gaps are pretty consistent. My main issue with the AP3s is that I hate the offset.

I've ordered an i500 6 iron built to (essentially) the same spec as my AP3 6 iron - 29 degree loft (retro spec), same D3 swing weight. The only change is that I went with the DG 105 shaft vs the XP 105 - mainly because these i500s reportedly launch extremely high already and I'm ordering it at +2 degrees weak. I may have to tweak the loft a bit but I do have a bending machine.

I don't really expect it to carry much, if any, farther than my Titleist, simply because my clubhead speed isn't very high and I'm already playing a "juiced" iron. But, as long as it's not a huge jump I'm pretty sure I can configure the set with appropriate distance gaps. My main concern is the spin rate & associated stopping power. I'm a relative low-ball hitter but I do tend to spin my irons more than most. As long as the i500 6 iron performs similarly to the AP3, I would likely spec the rest out at the same lofts as my AP3 (and my previous 2 sets of JPX irons). Basically, weaker lofts in the 6 & 7 with 4 degree gaps all the way from 6 thru wedge. I think this would also help to close the distance gap between clubs vs Ping's loft standards. This has been a good formula for me for a number of years now...

6 - 29 deg

7 - 32 deg

8 - 36 deg

9 - 40 deg

P - 44 deg

If all that works out, the remaining potential issue might be the gap from PW to GW. My GW is a Vokey 48 that gaps pretty good with my AP3 PW, so hopefully also not an issue. We will see. If I can get rid of the offset of the AP3s while not losing any distance or stopping ability I'll be a happy camper.

I am not as concerned with the gapping. I ordered standard lofts and have a 112 mph driver swing. I just ordered the set with the gap wedge and dropped the longest iron. Am currently playing AP2 4-PW and AP3 3i (PING specs in sig). This should allow me to carry 3 wedges after the 50* U wedge if needed (52, 56,60 probably)

The way I look at it, the irons are just mislabeled. My 7 iron goes 6 iron distance and has great spin and peak height for a 6 iron. Plus it is shorter in length than a 6i, so should be easier to hit in theory.

Hopefully, I am not being overly optimistic.

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the spring flex of the face?

Depends on where it goes. You wouldn't want it on the face, not only because of the effect it could have on the flex, but if it's not evenly applied it would exacerbate the dreaded hot spots everyone worries about. Plus, if that stuff is on an area that's supposed to flex, you're eventually going to wind up with an expensive rattle.

I always scratch my head at the notion of hotmelt for sound tuning (not weight adjustment). If that was really the proper solution I would expect OEMs to incorporate it as part of the manufacturing process. Why would they not be better at applying the right amount of the right stuff in the right places better than we can in a shop.

Doing it seems like a no brainer for better sales, so I have to think there is a tradeoff, performance or otherwise.

Case in point: Titleist drivers have a reputation for great sound. They also have another reputation. And as they've worked to get rid of the second reputation, many claim the sound isn't as pleasing as prior models.

Manufacturers do add hotmelt to woods as part of the manufacturing process. It catches any residual manufacturing remnants that could rattle.

For those who have not touched hotmelt It's just like the glue that holds credit cards to paper mailers. Extremely pliable. I can't see it minimizing face flex at all. Plus all you would need is small amounts to add a SW point or two. Not enough to fill the cavity.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

The way I look at it, the irons are just mislabeled. My 7 iron goes 6 iron distance and has great spin and peak height for a 6 iron. Plus it is shorter in length than a 6i, so should be easier to hit in theory.

Very true, these modern irons are definitely mislabeled to an extent, and the shorter length should help with ball striking. That's a definite win-win.

I'm just hoping that what I've seen in a handful of youtube videos doesn't translate to the real world. 50 yards between 7 iron and PW would be tough to deal with. For me that's a practical impossibility due to swing speed, but for others it could be an issue, particularly considering how these modern irons react to a knock-down type swing...they will sometimes take off like a rocket and go just as far as a full shot. That has happened to me a few times with the AP3s (it's weird).

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Very true, these modern irons are definitely mislabeled to an extent, and the shorter length should help with ball striking. That's a definite win-win.

I'm just hoping that what I've seen in a handful of youtube videos doesn't translate to the real world. 50 yards between 7 iron and PW would be tough to deal with. For me that's a practical impossibility due to swing speed, but for others it could be an issue, particularly considering how these modern irons react to a knock-down type swing...they will sometimes take off like a rocket and go just as far as a full shot. That has happened to me a few times with the AP3s (it's weird).

50 yards for those gaps, leaves 16.5 yard gaps between clubs. I think that's doable for me. Minor loft adjustment in certain clubs may help. At less than Rick Shiels swing speed, the gaps should be tighter and it should be even more manageable. It's easy to overthink this stuff before hitting the full set

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

50 yards for those gaps, leaves 16.5 yard gaps between clubs. I think that's doable for me. Minor loft adjustment in certain clubs may help. At less than Rick Shiels swing speed, the gaps should be tighter and it should be even more manageable. It's easy to overthink this stuff before hitting the full set

True, I hope these work out for all of us!

If you do not want to go into a spiralling club ponder ,,, do not hit these.

Tell me more!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If you do not want to go into a spiralling club ponder ,,, do not hit these.

Tell me more!

Ok,, I was in a simulator doing some distance cataloging with the TS-2 irons and I was outwardly questioning the KBS Tour 105s.

The guy asked me if I have hit the Dynamic Gold 105s. I said no and he pops over with an i500 out of the fitting cart with a Dynamic Gold 105 S300.

First off the iron is gorgeous but really looks big in hand when you look at the back of the club. A little weird but still.... Stunning.

I dropped three TP5x balls and the second I hit the first one I knew I was a special club. Smooth,, silky smooth is a way to describe the feeling going through the ball. I spun around quick to see what it did. Straight as an arrow and 174 yards of carry for a 7 iron. The other two ball were hardly separated by the tracking line. The three of them were about 3' apart. It was a WOW,, What a club moment. Did not expect that at all. I'm not a Ping guy at all but damn what an iron.

Great....You need to get a set.......Five of us where hitting these yesterday, 1 to six handi cappers and none of us had that experienced , especially the silky part.

You didn't care for them?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Great....You need to get a set.......Five of us where hitting these yesterday, 1 to six handi cappers and none of us had that experienced , especially the silky part.

I'm with wobgon on "lack of silk" part

I've never hit a club that felt like silk but it sure seems very split on which feels better the 210's or I500's.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Yea, as a matter a fact, I could see comboing a four iron with my i blades, but did not experience anything like popeye......No silky feel for me.

For those of you who are hitting the 7 iron roughly 170-175, how far into the set are you going with your long irons? I feel like I wouldn't need anything longer than a six iron with those numbers. My 5 wood is a 195-210 club.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I'm with wobgon on "lack of silk" part

I've never hit a club that felt like silk but it sure seems very split on which feels better the 210's or I500's.

I know feel is subjective, but how anyone can think the i500 feels better than the i210 is beyond me. The i210 feel is addictive.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Went back and re hit the i500s. At 94mph 7 iron ss I had a few go 212 yard total distance on trackman. Personally have zero reason to have a 7 go a 5 maybe 4 iron distance.

Feel is subjective; I think they feel fine and look great but even with a high launch and good spin I have no need to hit it that far.

Canceled my order.

Went back and re hit the i500s. At 94mph 7 iron ss I had a few go 212 yard total distance on trackman. Personally have zero reason to have a 7 go a 5 maybe 4 iron distance.

Feel is subjective; I think they feel fine and look great but even with a high launch and good spin I have no need to hit it that far.

Canceled my order.

Did you hit on course for confirmation? What are you looking at now?

guys im not sure if i got a "dud" set but mine sounds like absolute sh*t...

when i hit it well, it sounds VERY hollow. Not a pleasant sound even when flushed. reminds me off the last hollow iron i owned. a Ping Rapture 2 iron. felt and sounded exactly the same.

Now heres the horrific part about my range session with the i500. When i mishit them even a little bit, the sound that reverberates across the entire range will turn heads if you continue to mishit ...say 5 in a row. It makes this horrfying "clap" almost sounds like i was hitting a baseball with a baseball bat. Thats the best i can describe it for now until i can come up with a perfect description of exactly what it sounds like. And to make things worse my range is "roofed" so its slighly enclosed. i was so mortified i actually stopped hitting them and went to the outdoor part of the range and started hitting of grass. same thing only this time, it didnt echo. And tbh, these mishits werent all that bad either. they still reached target, they just werent a strong flight. Now i play to a 8 or 9, so lll be the first to admit im not the best ball striker but we dont all need to be Henrik Stenson to play these..right?

i think hittign the demo indoors inside a simulator room muffled most of this terrifying sound. but ill tell you this, if it sounded the way it did today when i demo'ed i wouldve def. passed on these.

i dont know what to do..

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I was finally able to hit the i500 on grass today and I thought they were really impressive. The distance and flight were perfect for me and they felt just fine for a club of this type. I can't say that I'm crazy about the sound, but it's ok. Overall, there is nothing for me to dislike about the club. I had some anxiety about a few things such as size, feel, ball flight, etc. but none of those things were even an issue. The size is amazing....It's hard to believe they accomplished this in such a small package. Bravo Ping!

After reading the above, I thought I should edit my post-

I also hit several shots in a large indoor/outdoor stall and experienced none of what bunta did. The sound isn't great, but I thought it was better than expected. Once I got the club on the grass, it was fine....no issues. On a few mishits, I did get a pretty good jolt to my hands but that's to be expected. Again, I thought the club was phenomenal and I can't wait to get them into the bag. Was it the range balls he was hitting? I was hitting new Titleist Practice balls off a top quality mat. That's all I can guess. My experience was markedly different than his.

Canceled my order.

Did you hit on course for confirmation? What are you looking at now?

Swoosh. No I didnt; personally didnt need to if i am getting dry ball data like that. It's only going to be worse if I bring wind or moisture into play or be downhill downwind.

I'm going with PXG 0311Ts since I can get an insane deal on them through the hereos program. 4-PW and 3 0311 wedges for $1100.

Edit: also I achieved those distances with range practice balls. A mix of avx, q-star, velocitys etc. I'm assuming that would only increase with Pro V1s or Tour Bs.