In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had maybe an hour of range time and played my first round today. I put the Modus 3 120's (stiff) in them. My first impressions:

1. Really like the longer irons --if you're not a 3 or 4 iron player, you might want to reconsider with these. I don't carry a 3 iron, so I don't know, but my 4 iron is going to get a lot of action. I hit it higher and about a club longer than my previous Vega 4 iron (maybe 200 yards --perfect mid-high trajectory for a 4 iron). Don't feel like you have to work too hard to get a good result. Have no fear of being able to hit my 4 iron into a green and stopping it.

2. Haven't figured out how to hit the Wedge and U Wedge yet. I'm sure it's me, but the distance drop off between my 9 iron and Wedge and then Wedge to U Wedge is too much right now. My swing weight on these irons is about 3 less than what I was playing before, so my timing isn't there yet. I plan to spend some time on the range tomorrow with both of these clubs --checking distances. I don't want a confidence problem with these clubs!

3. The 500s look better in person than in the pics. I'm very happy on that front. In terms of feel, they're fine. Naturally, feel is personal but for the record, my last two sets have been CB 57s and Vega VC -02s. And while they were each different and felt great --better than the i500s-- the i500 feel is a non issue for me.

4. My last set (Vegas --F4 protos) were not as strong lofted as my i500s. I carried my Vega 7 iron (32 degrees) about 160. I am carrying my 7 iron in the i500 (regular loft is 30.5) about 165. I can flight it lower if I want and proved that on the range and on the course today. FWIW, I'm hitting the short irons about the same distance as my previous set; the mid irons about 5 yards longer; the long irons maybe 5-10 yards longer. Probably too early to tell if that's how it's going to stay, but that's my current experience. One thing is for sure, I have more stopping power with this set up. As high as they go, you wouldn't expect any problems, but I've hit them lower and seen some great stopping evidence (much more spin, apparently, than my Vega/F4 Proto set up). In terms of overall distance, my gut tells me that while I'm only going to be slightly longer (maybe half a club), I will be more consistent in achieving my desired distances. I don't think the 500s have the flier problem that other hot-faced irons seem to have.

5. I ordered the new forged wedges (54 and 58). The 54 is backordered, so I don't have it. The 58 arrived and it is already my favorite club. I put an S400 in it and was great out of the sand and around the green. After chopping my first u wedge attempt, I found myself in a half plugged lie (inside the water hazard line) and was able to get the ball onto the green and stop it. I was also in some deep rough and was able to execute. I got up and down with flops twice today. If I can't figure out the U wedge, I'm going to grab the 50 degree forged wedge and trust the good vibe with these irons will continue. I love the look, feel, etc --everything about this wedge.

Can't wait to play tomorrow. Not a perfect outing today by any means, but I'm liking these clubs and expect to improve. I'm a 60 year old 7 HC. 100-102 Driver SS; mid-high 80's 6 iron. My club specs: half an inch longer; blue dot; Modus 120 S. Put the UTX midsize on them --I like these grips as I live in coastal GA/real hot and real humid here and they have always felt "small-ish" for a midsize to me... probably the taper.

I only have the i500 4 iron, but am liking how high (and long) it’s going. Mine has the Recoil 780 ES F4 in it, and I can launch it like a 5 Wood. Might have to try a whole set! Feel is fine as long as you hit the center, otherwise you’ll know it.

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

does anyone have or tried the i500s with a steelfiber shaft?

I also ordered mine with steelfiber i95's so I should have some thoughts soon, hopefully. FWIW when I was testing out the different shafts the Steelfibers really tightened up my overall shot quality. But this will be the first time I have ever had a club with steelfibers in them so there might be some adjustment.

NO idea what all the talk is on sound, they sound fine to me- But I do hit the ball in the face. Maybe that's your issue with the sound, you cant hit the center of the club

Listen on this video- sounds great

https://ping.com/media/videos/2018/ping-pros-test-i500-irons

Good point. Maybe some of the reports of noise are coming from players who aren’t consistently hitting the ball in the center of the club. Something has to account for how these irons seem to be Dr Jekyll and My Hyde, from a sound standpoint. I don’t think it is range balls, particularly. The range I practice at uses Pinnacle balls, and I don’t notice any loud sounds. I play a four piece ball on the course, and nobody has ever said a word about these irons being noisy.

And if these irons do produce a louder report on a bad hit, is that not a good thing for people who are enamoured with the old muscle back, forged clubs (not me). Forged clubs players want lots of feedback, no? My memory of forged clubs is that my fillings would rattle and my joints would hurt from off center hits. These irons wont do that, but maybe there is something to be gained, sound-wise, if they are louder on off-center hits. Hadn’t thought of that.

For the game I play, there is no advantage to “forged”, if forged means the old fashioned muscleback clubs. However, since I am of the forged club era (and have the loose fillings to prove it), I really appreciate the clean look of a forged club - compact head, thin top line, minimal offset. I love that look, it makes me feel so much more confident than when I first found myself standing over the Ping Zing, grin. These new i500s give me that clean, old-time look, and it is great.

For me and from my understanding, it’s a click nothing loud. Just a different sound and I get it on the range.

NO idea what all the talk is on sound, they sound fine to me- But I do hit the ball in the face. Maybe that's your issue with the sound, you cant hit the center of the club

Listen on this video- sounds great

https://ping.com/media/videos/2018/ping-pros-test-i500-irons

Good point. Maybe some of the reports of noise are coming from players who arent consistently hitting the ball in the center of the club. Something has to account for how these irons seem to be Dr Jekyll and My Hyde, from a sound standpoint. I dont think it is range balls, particularly. The range I practice at uses Pinnacle balls, and I dont notice any loud sounds. I play a four piece ball on the course, and nobody has ever said a word about these irons being noisy.

And if these irons do produce a louder report on a bad hit, is that not a good thing for people who are enamoured with the old muscle back, forged clubs (not me). Forged clubs players want lots of feedback, no? My memory of forged clubs is that my fillings would rattle and my joints would hurt from off center hits. These irons wont do that, but maybe there is something to be gained, sound-wise, if they are louder on off-center hits. Hadnt thought of that.

For the game I play, there is no advantage to forged, if forged means the old fashioned muscleback clubs. However, since I am of the forged club era (and have the loose fillings to prove it), I really appreciate the clean look of a forged club - compact head, thin top line, minimal offset. I love that look, it makes me feel so much more confident than when I first found myself standing over the Ping Zing, grin. These new i500s give me that clean, old-time look, and it is great.

For me and from my understanding, its a click nothing loud. Just a different sound and I get it on the range.

It is the strangest sound I have ever heard an iron make. I was all set to buy these and heard a buddy's on the course and now I most likely will not buy them.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I noticed my 8 iron had a hairline crack on the face perpendicular to the grooves. I wonder if the maraging failed. Called Ping CS and they wouldn't deal with me directly and said I had to go to an authorized dealer. I'm just annoyed Ping wouldn't' deal with me directly, and I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Pings CS is second to none. You almost always have to go through the dealer with most club issues.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Demoed these the other day.

Very impressed once the fitter put in the Ping stock shaft (AWT 2.0). Felt very smooth and fun to hit after that.

(Can I get that shaft or similar for my P790s?)

Looked superb behind the ball. Smaller then P790s but never felt too small to lose confidence.

Was able the work the ball easier than the P790s.

Sound was never a problem. The opposite as I liked the feel.

My only problem was spin. I'm a low spin player already and don't want any less spin than my current irons.

If I had to choose between the two and could afford switching and the spin was the same...lol... I'd go i500.

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

Played 9 holes with my i500's today and all I can say is - very predictable and reliable. The more I play them, the better they feel.

Love the look at address and they just inspire you to make solid contact, which for me, means more distance. No problems getting them to stop on the greens so some feared. I'm also not seeing a particular high ball flight.

What I like most of all is that they are easy to keep on-line to the target. I attribute this to the small offset which just seems to appeal to my swing.

4 iron, 1 week old. What would you do...live with it or try to get it replaced? 2ac6ed3b8ec0859bd9e3498d145a5274.jpg

Replace immediately!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I don't know the speed of my 4 iron specifically but my 7 iron is in the 96 range. I believe I'm in the moderate to high speed but nothing super high. I was fitted into these with the Project X 6.5s.

I really don't believe this was caused by a high speed ball impact but I can't say for sure. I noticed it after I hit a couple of off center shots, out toward the toe. I'm not even sure it's causing any problems but I hate the way it looks.

I don't know the speed of my 4 iron specifically but my 7 iron is in the 96 range. I believe I'm in the moderate to high speed but nothing super high. I was fitted into these with the Project X 6.5s.

I really don't believe this was caused by a high speed ball impact but I can't say for sure. I noticed it after I hit a couple of off center shots, out toward the toe. I'm not even sure it's causing any problems but I hate the way it looks.

Is it a crack or are we seeing the outline of the forged face? Is there a ridge there if you run your fingernail across it?

Either way I wouldn’t be happy and would contact Ping ASAP

Is it a crack or are we seeing the outline of the forged face? Is there a ridge there if you run your fingernail across it?

Either way I wouldn't be happy and would contact Ping ASAP

That's got to be the seam where the face is welded to the body. Probably cosmetic but still totally unacceptable

Just to let you know according to the TrackMan stats the PGA tour average for a 7 iron is 90 MPH. That's pretty quick IMHO.

pgatourstats.png?w=680&ssl=1

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

4 iron, 1 week old. What would you do...live with it or try to get it replaced? 2ac6ed3b8ec0859bd9e3498d145a5274.jpg

Wow!

I haven't thought much about how they make this club. They must weld it from the inside, through the hole, with a robot, and then apply some sort of finishing process to the face to eliminate the appearance of the seam - speculation on my part, I really have no idea how they make these things. If the weld has failed it is a big problem. If it is in the finish it is unsightly. Either way, we don't want this, and it is hard to believe that Ping hasn't tested the crap out of their design. So maybe they have an early process defect that they know about.

I live in Phoenix part of the year and have gone to the the Ping factory numerous times for repairs and adjustments, and they work with me as a retail customer, no problem. Before I would turn this club in to my retailer for replacement I would call Ping in Phoenix and talk to their service/repair desk, and ask them if they are seeing this sort of thing and if so, what is it? They will probably want you to go through your retailer for replacement, but you can get a straight story from them about what is going on, if they know. Nothing to lose by giving them a call.

That's right on the weld line. Well damn. Mine should be here this week and now I'm questioning my decision. I'm sure Ping will take care of yours, but is this a larger issue with the weld?

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom