2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

They look outstanding ..Hope they are affordable ..Glad to see they are getting in to the forged clubs again ...

Ping + Forged does not equal affordable...

Perhaps, because Ping doesn’t forge many products compared to other OEMs, they don’t have the relationships with forging foundries to get preferred pricing. Certainly they wouldn’t gouge the customer just because it’s forged.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the looks, I would give these a serious look if pricing fell in line with Mizuno and Titleist forgings.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

]I'm just gonna step right in here and save a drowning man (edit: and FWIW I do not think he was referring to what the professional staff are going to use)....

I will assure you right now, there will not be a single player on PING's staff who will play a full set of i500 irons. likely a single long iron, or maybe two, here or there, will sprout up in player's bags as the usage.

serious question Kenny, why do you think that is?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

]I'm just gonna step right in here and save a drowning man (edit: and FWIW I do not think he was referring to what the professional staff are going to use)....

I will assure you right now, there will not be a single player on PING's staff who will play a full set of i500 irons. likely a single long iron, or maybe two, here or there, will sprout up in player's bags as the usage.

serious question Kenny, why do you think that is?

I hope it's not because the players can't afford them...

just got my hands on these and a quick hit with about 20 balls.

first thing i noticed was the i500 badge. don't expect to see a badge sitting in that void you see in the initial photo. it's apparent that the i500 logo was drilled out to protect its identity. the logo is simply hard stamped into the smooth surface of the club head.

its smaller than the i200 but not by much and definitely hollow head design.

i didn't notice any extra distance from the iblade but it is definitely more forgiving than the iblade. even with the i500 being forged it felt harder than the i200 and i didn't get that satisfying "crunch" feeling when i got one out the middle. however, you also dont get that horrible thump feeling when you catch one towards the toe.

a very nice club and definitely pleasing to the eye. ping have basically signed a death warrant for the iblade

So by saying "ping have basically signed a death warrant for the iblade", am i to understand that you think this iron will replace the iblade and that this will be the iron that most PING pga tour players will be using? This seems doubtful to me, but what do I know?

I'm just gonna step right in here and save a drowning man (edit: and FWIW I do not think he was referring to what the professional staff are going to use)....

what i meant was i dont know why people will chose the iblade when the i500 is the same but more forgiving. that is just my opinion of course. i only play off 8 so I'm not sure my swing would have done them justice.

Clearly the death warrant comment was referring to regular folk. I read it as a suggestion that most people will likely buy the i500 instead of the iBlade.

You could be right......From what I can see, they are not even similar or in the same category.

why are they not in the same category? i see them both as players irons. with the i500 having more help. i could be wrong on this. i hit 20 balls with a 7 iron.

i know my driving range very well and hit the 170 yard green with the iBlade "flushed". when i hit the i500 it wasn't going any further but my miss hits (thin and towards the toe) where closer to the green.

i personally see these irons in the same category as they are pretty much the same size. maybe the vanity players will stick but personally I'll take all the help i can get

Clearly the death warrant comment was referring to regular folk. I read it as a suggestion that most people will likely buy the i500 instead of the iBlade.

You could be right......From what I can see, they are not even similar or in the same category.

Your powers of deduction have been pretty poor so far in this thread...but you may have just redeemed yourself (possibly).

i could see this really coming more off the i210 or even g700 sales than iblade, people looking for more forgiveness/distance in more blade looking package, partly because of previous comments of what iblade players are looking for and also because the market for more forgiving categories is already so much bigger for ping. so much so id suspect any cannibalization ping gets from buyers of their other series, ibalde switchers will be a small proportion of sales (well, at least for mid/short irons, there may he a lot of iblade users grabbing 3/4 irons). however, ping’s hope here is likely just as much to offer sthg to compete w p790 etc so people dont switch from ping altogether. i could see iblade users who have lost/need distance going to this, but a big proportion of iblade users arent looking for that kind of club.

addition of this tho could mean ping has the opportunity to refine next iblade in a new way. whether that be more compact etc. that might be the most meaningful thing about about i500 to iblade/s5Xs, does the i500 push pings players irons in a new direction when they are upadted next yr

i could see this really coming more off the i210 or even g700 sales than iblade, people looking for more forgiveness/distance in more blade looking package, partly because of previous comments of what iblade players are looking for and also because the market for more forgiving categories is already so much bigger for ping. so much so id suspect any cannibalization ping gets from buyers of their other series, ibalde switchers will be a small proportion of sales (well, at least for mid/short irons, there may he a lot of iblade users grabbing 3/4 irons). however, ping’s hope here is likely just as much to offer sthg to compete w p790 etc so people dont switch from ping altogether. i could see iblade users who have lost/need distance going to this, but a big proportion of iblade users arent looking for that kind of club.

addition of this tho could mean ping has the opportunity to refine next iblade in a new way. whether that be more compact etc. that might be the most meaningful thing about about i500 to iblade/s5Xs, does the i500 push pings players irons in a new direction when they are upadted next yr

Great thoughts BUT if the feel isn't there, it will be a tough sell ......for me!

I disagree. I think this club being between iblade and i210 was a mistake on Pings part. There are more iblade style players looking for more forgiveness in a sleek package than I series players looking for less forgiveness. This is based on the fact that the i500 LOOKS smaller than i210 by pictures. This will canabalize iblade sales more than I series.

I truly think this club missed the mark by not falling between g and I series. This technology in a chassis slightly longer than I series heel to toe but with I series offset and sole width would have been a game changer. There are lots of players looking for heel toe forgiveness without a fat sole and large offset.

All just my opinion based off pictures.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I disagree. I think this club being between iblade and i210 was a mistake on Pings part. There are more iblade style players looking for more forgiveness in a sleek package than I series players looking for less forgiveness. This is based on the fact that the i500 LOOKS smaller than i210 by pictures. This will canabalize iblade sales more than I series.

Not trying to argue here, you make very valid points and could be right, but let me toss out a counter argument. What if these are primarily meant to attract players who otherwise wouldn't look at Ping because they don't have a forged offering? I think Ping is going after a customer who isn't looking at the iBlade or the i210 because they are cast. There's an entire country that I won't name, who only play forged clubs. Some golfers are just stuck on the idea that forged is better no matter the science. Since most forged players buy something similar to the i210 or iBlade packages, Ping designed a forged club to be a tweener set so they didn't have produce two different SKUs. I'm probably way off in my thinking.

Not trying to argue here, you make very valid points and could be right, but let me toss out a counter argument. What if these are primarily meant to attract players who otherwise wouldn't look at Ping because they don't have a forged offering? I think Ping is going after a customer who isn't looking at the iBlade or the i210 because they are cast. There's an entire country that I won't name, who only play forged clubs. Some golfers are just stuck on the idea that forged is better no matter the science. Since most forged players buy something similar to the i210 or iBlade packages, Ping designed a forged club to be a tweener set so they didn't have produce two different SKUs. I'm probably way off in my thinking.

Valid. In the end I would have went with in between I and g series because the market that would buy that club is bigger than the players club market. Just what I think they should have done.

Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I spoke with our hard goods buyer today and he said that he believes he'll be getting the fitting set for the i500's tomorrow. I'll post further if that indeed happens. It'd be nice to get an order in before they go on B/O, which I'm guessing will happen pretty quickly. Ping is one of the companies that takes care of green-grass accounts still. I'll update with any news.

Already in touch with the fitter. now, just need to figure out where to hide my S55 'backup' set....

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I spoke with our hard goods buyer today and he said that he believes he'll be getting the fitting set for the i500's tomorrow. I'll post further if that indeed happens. It'd be nice to get an order in before they go on B/O, which I'm guessing will happen pretty quickly. Ping is one of the companies that takes care of green-grass accounts still. I'll update with any news.

Did he get them in today?

What does a ping fitting set look like now. Just a 7 iron with variable shafts or a bunch of 7s in different color codes that are glued. Always hated the screw in shaft fitting as the production item never felt any good. Plus even the worst golfer can hit a 7 iron..

Did get to hit the 7 iron for a few balls. Decent looking at address, G700 distance, better sound than G700, a different feel (not good or bad). They will probably sell a lot initially. I thought I would really like these but when I A/B it with my S55, I still preferred the S55. Probably will wait on new iBlade next year. Not enough pros to switch from S55, might have if they arrived in March with time to adjust. All these “solid” conclusions based on 6 balls.. Cancelled my order but kept wedge orders..

Did he get them in today?

Of course he didn't.

What does a ping fitting set look like now. Just a 7 iron with variable shafts or a bunch of 7s in different color codes that are glued. Always hated the screw in shaft fitting as the production item never felt any good. Plus even the worst golfer can hit a 7 iron..

Did get to hit the 7 iron for a few balls. Decent looking at address, G700 distance, better sound than G700, a different feel (not good or bad). They will probably sell a lot initially. I thought I would really like these but when I A/B it with my S55, I still preferred the S55. Probably will wait on new iBlade next year. Not enough pros to switch from S55, might have if they arrived in March with time to adjust. All these "solid" conclusions based on 6 balls.. Cancelled my order but kept wedge orders..

uh. wut.

Did get to hit the 7 iron for a few balls. Decent looking at address, G700 distance, better sound than G700, a different feel (not good or bad). They will probably sell a lot initially. I thought I would really like these but when I A/B it with my S55, I still preferred the S55. Probably will wait on new iBlade next year. Not enough pros to switch from S55, might have if they arrived in March with time to adjust. All these "solid" conclusions based on 6 balls.. Cancelled my order but kept wedge orders..

uh. wut.

Exactly. Been posting nonsense in all of the Ping new product threads.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

uh. wut.

Yep, he comes across as in the know but subtlety negative towards Ping....interesting.

Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

uh. wut.

yeup.. i bought into it first couple times. now i just make faces when i read his posts lol

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7