In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

Has anyone had or noticed a weird, almost loose noise? It is only on my 6 iron but almost sounds like the screw insert is loose. Almost sounds like rattling

It's just the toe screw. Just use your driver wrench and tighten it back down.....problem solved.

Tried that and it's not loose. Almost sounds like an old Cobra driver I had (ZL Encore) where some epoxy inside the head came loose

I wonder if it is a tiny piece of the face weld that has come loose. Am guessing you tried to take the toe screw out and see if anything could be shaken back out down that hole?

Otherwise you could then try putting some liquid in there, shaking it around to see if the item gets picked up in suspension when you pour it back out. You'd need to make sure it was allowed to totally dry out before putting the toe screw back in and I'd probably try to blow a little warm air in there too to be certain with a hairdrier

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious, are there any low handicappers putting these in play?

I am a 6 and I'm playing a full set. I still hit it fine, just not long enough anymore due to cancer treatment. So far, all's good. I know plenty of players who would do well with a full set. They perform as advertised but need a little different approach on some shots. I'd say that I'm having fun with them, and I don't think I ever referred to golf as "fun" before.

Very curious what you mean by "different approach". Can you tell us more?

Coming from forged CBs and blades, these need a little more attention distance-wise on approach shots. You can't count on the distances and spin like with a traditional forged club. For me, it's a justifiable trade off. I guess you could say that, at least until I know them better, that these are a middle-of-the-green club rather than a go-for-it club. Unless it's a full-on "green light" pin, I'm giving some more room for error in distance and spin, which most of us should be doing anyway. Unfortunately, the biggest weakness in my game is long-ish putts and their resulting 3-4' finishing putts, something easier to improve than my ball striking at this point in my life.

I got two rounds on my i500's over the weekend which for reference is a 5-W set with steelfiber i95's in stiff. For one the shafts are bit of a change and adjustment but so far so good. They're smooth, stable and hold up very well while giving you that nice feel you'd expect from a graphite type shaft. My last set was the Rogue Pro's and I find these to be very comparable in distance and maybe even a little easier to hit. They are a very confidence inspiring size without being a shovel. But the PW comes close, I was surprised how big it was. I played a couple different balls over the weekend just to see if one felt and performed better over the others. CS was excellent, the Srixon QST also was good but the Ksig felt like a rock. When I played well enough to hit some greens these had no issue at all holding and usually I found my ball within a foot of its mark. The only issue I had was with some fat shots but that was more user error and the stupid wet course conditions. I agree that the sound and feel can be a clicky at times but I also always knew when I missed the sweet spot.

I play G irons 3-pw, but am looking for a longer iron with AWT 2.0 shaft... would a 3 iron from this i500 range be something to consider or is it for a more advanced player than those like me who hit G irons off a 21 hcap?

What are you looking for the 3-iron to do that your current one doesn't? If the answer is to hit it further, I'd suggest the crossover.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I play G irons 3-pw, but am looking for a longer iron with AWT 2.0 shaft... would a 3 iron from this i500 range be something to consider or is it for a more advanced player than those like me who hit G irons off a 21 hcap?

What are you looking for the 3-iron to do that your current one doesn't? If the answer is to hit it further, I'd suggest the crossover.

Want to ditch my hybrid as I am hitting my 4 iron great off tee and the deck, so want something a bit longer but cant stand the crossover at address, and G irons don't go lower than a 4 @ 21deg (apoloigies I meant I game 4-pw not 3-pw)

Want to ditch my hybrid as I am hitting my 4 iron great off tee and the deck, so want something a bit longer but cant stand the crossover at address, and G irons don't go lower than a 4 @ 21deg (apoloigies I meant I game 4-pw not 3-pw)

if you are playing your G irons in standard loft you could go with a G700 4 iron in power spec that would get you to 18.5°

Go for it.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to adjust the top of my bag now with these clubs. I need auto switch out a hybrid. I was really pleasantly surprised by the i500 in my first real round since I've gotten them. My yardages weren't a problem and my misses (that were all toe-side) all went at least 80% of their normal yardage. Spin with the 8-UW was fantastic and in two cases, it was a little too much. I hit an eight iron about 30' long and it ended up back at the front of the green (granted, it was downhill but it came back 40') For me, there are no spin issues with these clubs. I did have one clunky sounding shot but all the rest felt and sounded fine. I'm really happy (except the marked up finish). They need to figure out how to apply the finish only to the face of the club. Sitting in the bag, these look a couple of seasons old already. Has anyone seen or heard of any more weld failures?

Have about 5 range secessions and 5 rounds on mine and have noticed the same toe weld issues on both my 8 iron and 5 iron. Bringing them into the retailer today. What I’m concerned about if they replace them both is this happening in the future. For me it’s not a risk I’m willing to take for the price I paid. I don’t switch irons very often so whatever I own I keep for long periods. I think I’ll just trade them in for the new Mizuno forged 919’s. It’s too bad because the 500’s are really nice irons and the long irons are so easy to hit.......

Just wanted to give a shout out to Ping regarding their customer service. Got my replacement 5i and 8i today. Total turn around for replacement was about 10 days and the process was very easy and Ping reps were all very professional making the process super simple. Great customer support!

Anybody else having issues with their Pitching Wedge in the I500? Will be picking up a set soon however may skip the p wedge and go another route their.

Several comments have bagged on the PW and UW. If you are the least bit concerned, get the 210s in those, and lower them a degree. (Power spec is a 1/2°, get at least 1°)

Anybody else having issues with their Pitching Wedge in the I500? Will be picking up a set soon however may skip the p wedge and go another route their.

My only gapping issue was between my pitching wedge and 9 iron. I was hitting my pitching wedge really high and not getting the distance I should. I went down to Ping and had my pitching wedge strengthened 2 degrees. I have a Cleveland PW that has been one of my favorite clubs so we'll see which one goes in the bag.

I just got a set of i500 3-PW DG 105 x100 power spec black dot. They were not kidding with this power spec haha but it seems to have screwed all my gappings with my irons. I'm curious though if I were to get i210s to mix in my bag where should the composition of iron each iron set begin? Is it better to get 4-6 in i210 and keep 7-pw for i500 or vice versa? Another alternative is I send my irons back to Ping and get it retro spec and just keep the whole i500 set and replace the 3 with a hybrid. Just wanted to get your guys opinions on the matter! Thanks very much!

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus TR Red VeloCore 6x D4/T1 setting (RH)

3 Wood: Titleist TSr3 16.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Red VeloCore 7x C1/T2 setting (RH)

7 Wood/4 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 21 Fujikura Ventus TR Red VeloCore 8x C1 setting/Titleist TSr3 21 Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 9x B1/Neutral setting (RH) 

Irons: Titleist Black T200 4-5/T100 6-P True Temper AMT White Onyx S300 (RH)

Wedges: Titleist Black T100 50 degree True Temper AMT White S300, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54/12D, 58/8M BGT ZNE 130 (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 with Black Tour Stability Shaft (RH)

Ball: Titleist ProV1x Yellow

I just got a set of i500 3-PW DG 105 x100 power spec black dot. They were not kidding with this power spec haha but it seems to have screwed all my gappings with my irons. I'm curious though if I were to get i210s to mix in my bag where should the composition of iron each iron set begin? Is it better to get 4-6 in i210 and keep 7-pw for i500 or vice versa? Another alternative is I send my irons back to Ping and get it retro spec and just keep the whole i500 set and replace the 3 with a hybrid. Just wanted to get your guys opinions on the matter! Thanks very much!

What is the issue?

I would think you'd do 7-p with the i210s.

We have seen people have much more trouble with the i500 long irons compared to the i210 (i500 head size is smaller and has noticeably less offset). So, while we have had people do short irons i210, long irons i500, much more commonly people do better, and end up buying, i500 short irons and i210 long irons (and even more commonly people use a g700 4 iron with both, pretty good looking club for how crazy forgiving it is).

I would recommend adjusting the lofts. Depending on where your gapping issues are you may not need to go all the way to retro.

We have seen people have much more trouble with the i500 long irons compared to the i210 (i500 head size is smaller and has noticeably less offset). So, while we have had people do short irons i210, long irons i500, much more commonly people do better, and end up buying, i500 short irons and i210 long irons (and even more commonly people use a g700 4 iron with both, pretty good looking club for how crazy forgiving it is).

I would recommend adjusting the lofts. Depending on where your gapping issues are you may not need to go all the way to retro.

Whaaat? Can you clarify what you said, because I keep reading it and thinking... huh?

Whaaat? Can you clarify what you said, because I keep reading it and thinking... huh?

He's saying, it's common to think i500s for shorter irons given their design, but because of them being smaller and less offset, it would be smarter to go i210s on the shorter irons and i500s on the longer. Make sense?

I got some data back on power spec i500 from the Foresight machine heres the gapping from my 50 vokey SM6 to 4i i500:

Average Carry and Total respectively

50 GW- 103, 114

PW- 120, 132

9i- 135, 148

8i-166, 182

7i- 178, 195

6i- 188, 208

5i-193, 212

4i- 201, 224

Do I need to go retro spec or continue to replace some irons with i210s? Thanks everyone!

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus TR Red VeloCore 6x D4/T1 setting (RH)

3 Wood: Titleist TSr3 16.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Red VeloCore 7x C1/T2 setting (RH)

7 Wood/4 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 21 Fujikura Ventus TR Red VeloCore 8x C1 setting/Titleist TSr3 21 Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 9x B1/Neutral setting (RH) 

Wedges: Titleist Black T100 50 degree True Temper AMT White S300, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54/12D, 58/8M BGT ZNE 130 (RH)

He's saying, it's common to think i500s for shorter irons given their design, but because of them being smaller and less offset, it would be smarter to go i210s on the shorter irons and i500s on the longer. Make sense?

Ya, that is a lot more clear, and in line with convention. Thanks.

I got some data back on power spec i500 from the Foresight machine heres the gapping from my 50 vokey SM6 to 4i i500:

50 GW- 103, 114

PW- 120, 132

9i- 135, 148

8i-166, 182

7i- 178, 195

6i- 188, 208

5i-193, 212

4i- 201, 224

Do I need to go retro spec or continue to replace some irons with i210s? Thanks everyone!

Need to? Answer your own question first... what part of this don't you like that you are still considering changing?

For me, that 9 -> 8 gap is stupid.

50 GW- 103, 114

PW- 120, 132

9i- 135, 148

8i-166, 182

7i- 178, 195

6i- 188, 208

5i-193, 212

4i- 201, 224

Need to? Answer your own question first... what part of this don't you like that you are still considering changing?

For me, that 9 -> 8 gap is stupid.

I'd like to know how you're getting 12yds of rollout with your wedge. That seems really weird.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

50 GW- 103, 114

PW- 120, 132

9i- 135, 148

8i-166, 182

7i- 178, 195

6i- 188, 208

5i-193, 212

4i- 201, 224

Big gaps in the short irons and very small gaps in the long irons, I would say back to the drawing board. Might be retro spec, might be different irons, maybe look at hybrids/high lofted fairway woods for your 5i and 4i slots.

for me the carry seems to be ok its just the roll is concerning. I might just be blowing this out of proportion but i figured I would ask you guys what recommendations you guys would have. As it stands, I really have no use for a hybrid since they basically are goin the same distance.

for me the carry seems to be ok its just the roll is concerning. I might just be blowing this out of proportion but i figured I would ask you guys what recommendations you guys would have. As it stands, I really have no use for a hybrid since they basically are goin the same distance.

Dont worry about the rollout on foresight. Check spin instead. If you use a half decent ball on the course, the trajectory itself alone can stop a ball.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I think he is saying the opposite.

Ya, that is a lot more clear, and in line with convention. Thanks.

As above, the opposite. People often say they don't like offset, but it helps a vast majority of people make better contact. The i500s have very little offset, same as the iblade, and similar to the callaway apex MB/titleist 718 MB. Ping does not consider the i500 more forgiving than the i210, in fact the i210 has a higher MOI. A lot of people have trouble with the i500 long irons. I suspect the small blade size and minimal offset plays a role. In our database of fittings, most people hit the i210 long irons better (which again should not be a surprise, the i210 has a higher MOI, larger blade and more offset...) So yes, people that go by the numbers more often go i210 in the long irons (compared to i500), but even more go g700 for long irons (which are a huge step up in forgiveness in what is still a pretty good looking package).