anyone still using tour wrap style grips?

While tinkering in the garage tonight, I came across some NOS Lamkin Perma wrap grips. Had a set of irons that I've been working on that needed grips and I thought what the heck..let's throw these on. I actually really liked the feel...brought back some fond memories.

What are some of the best currently available replacements?

Bag: currently under construction

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play Lamkin UTX Wrap grips. Love them. They remind me of the original Golf Pride Tour Wrap Cords that I played in high school in the late 90's and early 00's. Sadly, the UTX wrap has been removed from Lamkin's current line up of grip offerings.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

The closest grip I have found that are similar to the old Lamkin Perma-wrap (or the old formula Golf Pride Tour Wrap) are the Tacki-mac Tour Pro Wraps. http://www.tackimac.com/shop/products/Perforated-Tour-Pro-Wrap-.600-Core.html

They are cheap and last forever. A little harder to install (the butt cap is kind of stiff) but with enough solvent should be ok.

Academy Sports sells a 13 grip package for $25 USD - in either standard, midsize, or jumbo. It is a crazy good deal if you like grips like these.

Also - Star Wraps or Royal Wraps from Golfworks.com are similar - more expensive than the Tacki-macs though.

I'll second the Tacki-Mac Tour Pro Wrap recommendation. Can't believe I let 15 years go by after Golf Pride quit making my first true grip love before finding these. They are certainly not identical to the original Tour Wrap from the 80's and 90's but they are far closer than anything else I've tried since then.

And the price+durability combination is literally unbeatable. I'd actually be glad to pay twice as much if they'd just put a conventional rubber endcap on them instead of that hard plastic jobbie...

Lamkins are good so is the Pure Wrap.

I had some old Pure smooth wrap with dull surface finishing ( not shinning ) and these lasts for years and years still looks and feel like new. The closest feel to leather wrap I had found.

Have to agree. The Pure wrap grips are great, and last FOREVER. I’ve had the same set on my irons for 5-6 years and they still look great and are very tacky.

While tinkering in the garage tonight, I came across some NOS Lamkin Perma wrap grips. Had a set of irons that I've been working on that needed grips and I thought what the heck..let's throw these on. I actually really liked the feel...brought back some fond memories.

What are some of the best currently available replacements?

Golfworks sells a Royal Grip (subsidiary of Lamkin) that is very much like the old Lamkin Perma Wrap.

https://www.golfwork...grips/p/rg0007/

• 5 weeks later...

I thought the Pure Wraps and Golf Pride CP2 were decent, but I always find my way back to the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G. They're now on all the clubs in my bag...again.

Cobra F7 11*

Sub 70 939X 18*

Callaway Apex CF19 4-AW

Titleist Vokey SM8 54/10S & 60/12D
PXG Gen2 Lucky D
Taylormade Tour Response

I played wrap style grips for years and years. Everything from Tacki-Mac to Lamkin and Golf pride, as well as a few random brands in between. Without question the best were the GripMaster leather wraps (true wraps, not wrap style). But, those are now hard to find, and much more expensive than they were.

I got away from the wraps for a few years and played the NDMCC grips. After a few years, I realized that they were hindering my game as I realized I had to grip much firmer in order for the club to feel secure in my hands. I went back to the Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize, and feel I can relax my grip a little without concern of the club rotating or coming out of my hands all together. I cant say it has helped my scoring much (though my scores to seem to be a bit more consistent, my index hasnt moved), but I feel I have more control over my swing and confidence now that I dont feel the need to choke the life out of the club.

I struggle with my grip at times (me holding the club I mean, not the rubber thing on the handle ;-) and any of the Tour Velvet or NDMC styles have one issue that the Tour Wrap style solves.

If I do hold the club too loosely or insecurely and hit out of the rough or if I happen to do my nemesis move and "regrip" a bit at the top of my swing, most grips will tear the hell out of the palm of my glove. Sometimes in just one bad swing but if not then certainly after just a few.

I'm going to have a bad swing like that a couple times a round. The effect of a rough grip on the palm of my glove from even 1-2 bad swings a round means destroying a glove by the third or fourth time I wear it. At today's glove prices that's just nuts so I end up playing gloveless.

The Tacki-Mac Tour Pro Wrap, like the original Golf Pride Tour Wrap, are smooth enough that one inadvertent slip or regrip has zero effect. I can use a single $10-$12 cheapie glove for 15 rounds or more without any chance of a bad swing or two tearing them up. So naturally, not WORRYING about tearing up my glove avoids a lot of tension that in turn helps me make better swings.

I thought the Pure Wraps and Golf Pride CP2 were decent, but I always find my way back to the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G. They're now on all the clubs in my bag...again.

Same here. I had a stint last year on my 900Forged irons with Winn Drytac Wraps and loved them, but they lasted only half the season. went back to the TW G2 and haven't looked back. Will stick with these till a new generation of tech comes out. Would love to have this Tour Wrap in a 50Gram with some chord for sweaty days in the Arizona sun, as they can get a little slippery and need a proper towel wipe every once and a while.

TAYLORMADE SIM MAX D/Oban Isawa 65S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO CLK 16*/Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 FliHi 20*/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ GP TW WHT

MIZUNO JPX921 Forged 4-PW/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Blue Ion 47/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MIZUNO T20 Satin 50/07/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT 

MIZUNO T20 Raw 56/06/ PXLZ Blackout 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT

MACHINE 1018 M2A RAW CS/ PL shaft/ SS Flatso CC 2.0 BLK

MIZUNO TOUR STAND BAG 14 way BLK/GRY 

Still have original GP Tour Wraps on an old set of irons, played heavily for years but still in decent shape. Have the Tour Wrap 2G currently and love them.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I play Lamkin UTX Wrap grips. Love them. They remind me of the original Golf Pride Tour Wrap Cords that I played in high school in the late 90's and early 00's. Sadly, the UTX wrap has been removed from Lamkin's current line up of grip offerings.

I bought about 40 of them when they were on sale for $4-5/grip earlier this year though. Even in midsize offerings, I think they have more taper than I'd like. I really build up the bottom half and it still seems too thin.

• 1 year later...

I have preferred wrap style grips for last 25+ years since the Danny Edward’s Royal wraps were released. I have tried most (Winn, GP 2G, TackiMac, Lamkin, Pure...) on the market at some point. Just recently switched from Golf Pride CP2’s to Lamkin Sonar Wraps. I’d still be using leather wraps if Best Grips made a wrap (The Grip Master Shockless wraps were amazing).

My biggest challenge today is finding a nice putter grip in wrap style. Just recently recycled a 15 year old The Grip Master 2 tone wrap onto my new Swag! It’s still in great condition!

Lamkin SONAR Wrap

JBeam Bullet 10*                      Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                     Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype