2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

McDowell loses clubs, can’t play tomorrow, why?

Cornwall1888

It's not as easy as you'd think. One of my players had his clubs lost before the Open last year Monday Morning. It took until mid day Tuesday to have a full set made and that's on site at a major. There are no equipment trucks on site and Open Qualifying spots.

while that is true, and pros and tournament level players have a feel for their specs that we can't comprehend, it's still golf ... you wanna play in the Open, then get some clubs and give it a try ... if you're good enough, you can get in with a decent set ...

You do realize he also has a chance to qualify in this weeks and next weeks European Tour event and it’s actually EASIER to qualify through those events as it’s top 3 not other wise qualified and not only the top 3? So he is choosing to focus on the Irish and Scottish Open with HIS clubs as those offer a better opportunity than playing the qualifier with a rental set.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as easy as you'd think. One of my players had his clubs lost before the Open last year Monday Morning. It took until mid day Tuesday to have a full set made and that's on site at a major. There are no equipment trucks on site and Open Qualifying spots.

while that is true, and pros and tournament level players have a feel for their specs that we can't comprehend, it's still golf ... you wanna play in the Open, then get some clubs and give it a try ... if you're good enough, you can get in with a decent set ...

You do realize he also has a chance to qualify in this weeks and next weeks European Tour event and it's actually EASIER to qualify through those events as it's top 3 not other wise qualified and not only the top 3? So he is choosing to focus on the Irish and Scottish Open with HIS clubs as those offer a better opportunity than playing the qualifier with a rental set.

yes, i DO realize that ... i ALSO realize it's a round of golf he'd already committed to play, so it doesn't add anything to his schedule ... and it's arguably not easier to qualify in those tournaments as those are tournaments where more of the players are PROS instead of JOURNEYMEN ... didn't mean to OFFEND you ... should i have capitalized ALL of my words?

Maybe money would erode my competitive spirit but if it was SO important in the first place I'd crawl through hell and do whatever I had to and give it my best shot to qualify.

Then again I don't get paid obscene amounts of money for being average in my job, I don't always play immaculate courses with 60 yard wide fairways that give me 100 yards roll, I don't get to lift clean and place if it's been a bit cloudy and I certainly wouldn't have a dozen identical sets of clubs to my specs if it was essential for my job. That would be preposterous. And I wouldn't keep one of those sets in my home country because DUH!

Sincerely hope he doesn't qualify.

Not a single player with a card on any major tour is average at their job. Especially not a major winner.

LoL, seriously. The card holders on the PGA and euro tours are literally top what , 250 guys in the entire world at their job.

I'd say thats not average considering the size of the workforce

Yeah that's the point. No wait it isn't. Read again. Try again.

You do realize he also has a chance to qualify in this weeks and next weeks European Tour event and it's actually EASIER to qualify through those events as it's top 3 not other wise qualified and not only the top 3? So he is choosing to focus on the Irish and Scottish Open with HIS clubs as those offer a better opportunity than playing the qualifier with a rental set.

yes, i DO realize that ... i ALSO realize it's a round of golf he'd already committed to play, so it doesn't add anything to his schedule ... and it's arguably not easier to qualify in those tournaments as those are tournaments where more of the players are PROS instead of JOURNEYMEN ... didn't mean to OFFEND you ... should i have capitalized ALL of my words?

Where do you get that I’m offended? It’s not one round, it’s 36 in one day. Already a grueling day and to do so when you know it’s not likely with a rental set, I’d say he’s making the smart choice to stay fresh for the other events. It absolutely adds to his schedule as it’s an extra 36 holes he’d have to play and time taken away from prepping for Irish Open. Have you ever played in a 36 hole one day qualifier for a national/international level event?

And I absolutely believe it’s easier to finish 10th in one of two four day events than top 3 in a 36 hole qualifier for a player of his ability.

I've always liked McDowell, I'm sorry to hear that he withdrew. Hopefully Air France finds his clubs!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

My thoughts on the matter - I cant actually believe the vitriol GMac is getting on here over this:

1. Not all pros fly private jets everywhere, so there has to be an element of trusting baggage handlers/airlines to do their jobs - even the french

2. As stated, he still has two shots at qualifying

3. Maybe he felt a rental set would throw off his game for those qualifiers

4. It's best not to post sometimes when your IQ is less than your GHIN

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

My thoughts on the matter - I cant actually believe the vitriol GMac is getting on here over this:

1. Not all pros fly private jets everywhere, so there has to be an element of trusting baggage handlers/airlines to do their jobs - even the french

"there has to be an element of trusting baggage handlers/airlines to do their jobs"

You sure about your observation of IQ pre-requisite vis a vis making the statement above?

Bingo! I just kidding ; )

You heading back home to see the Open? Or you like my friends who went to Asia and never come home cause life too good?

"there has to be an element of trusting baggage handlers/airlines to do their jobs"

You sure about your observation of IQ pre-requisite vis a vis making the statement above?

Bingo! I just kidding ; )

You heading back home to see the Open? Or you like my friends who went to Asia and never come home cause life too good?

I've been spoilt by Singapore Airlines over the years - I am sure Cathay will bring me down to earth with a bump!

The only Open I saw was the 2006 dustbowl, where Canary Garcia got hos arse handed to him by Tiger's 1 iron.

I am trying to tick off the Open rota - Carnoustie, St Andrews and RSG are all done, got some more boxes to tick still on that front.

Like most expats, I plan to stay in Asia, bank my money and maybe return to the UK when I no longer have to work in the City and pay retarded amounts of Tax.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

#1 very true have seen this repeatedly and any number of people inside the tour or a tournament know this. Its even more common on the other tours.

On the PGA tour, one enterprising couple has made it a full time business transporting most of the pro clubs from 1 tournament site to the next tournament via trailer.

Unfortunately this doesn't help for international flights. So trust is required and many bags have been lost.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

there isnt a Tour player out there that doesnt have his specs on a set in his manufacturers tour van....If you have ever watched a pro cull a set of irons it can be done in a short amount of time...Technology today can replace a set immediately, the Tour van can repair or replace a club within hours if not minutes

Not buying the excuse

I can see both positions but it's The Open. If there is a chance that you could make it, you play.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I dont understand why they are not using GPS luggage trackers in their tour bags. I started using one last year and I'm a nobody - I just dont want to take a golf trip where I end up using rentals.

Its not perfect but at least it could tell you what city its in, if its still in the same airport etc.

Do not understand. They make some really inexpensive options but even the "expensive" ones cost @ $100 and $20/mo when you use it.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I dont understand why they are not using GPS luggage trackers in their tour bags. I started using one last year and I'm a nobody - I just dont want to take a golf trip where I end up using rentals.

Its not perfect but at least it could tell you what city its in, if its still in the same airport etc.

Do not understand. They make some really inexpensive options but even the "expensive" ones cost @ $100 and $20/mo when you use it.

Same !

Haha Though it has not happened I can see myself checking if they are on the plane as we are about to taxi, realizing they are not and throwing a fit "we cant take off there is a problem with the plane! .... my clubs aren't on it ...."

On topic

If it were me personally I would give it a go with loaners and just say what the heck ... sometimes it's those I got nothing to loose mentalities that produce the best results .. if you don't do well you have an excuse..

On the other hand, if he has more chances to get in and believes there is a better chance he is probably right since he has played the tour for years and I know 0 about tour life but if you already took the plane there and its part of your schedule what else are you gonna do?

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

there isnt a Tour player out there that doesnt have his specs on a set in his manufacturers tour van....If you have ever watched a pro cull a set of irons it can be done in a short amount of time...Technology today can replace a set immediately, the Tour van can repair or replace a club within hours if not minutes

Not buying the excuse

....but what if there is no tour van onsite?giphy.gif

The excuse seems a little bit hollow. Reminds a bit of Mickelson's initial response to hitting a moving ball. He likely wishes he handled it by saying he was going to focus on his next two events instead of saying he doesn't have his clubs.

I don't recall GM being too image conscious or disingenuous. I think he has earned a pass.

G-Mac is on the back 9 of his career, major in the bag and a handful of other wins here and there, married with a kid and well settled. Running around trying to put a mix of clubs together for a Tuesday qual, in the mouth of his home open is more of a young mans game IMO!

That plus he probably knows he wont qualify anyway.

Not buying the excuse

I'm with you. Something else is going on. If club shipping was a problem there would be more of these “tagged” occurrences.

Must be something in his personal life.

Not buying the excuse

I'm with you. Something else is going on. If club shipping was a problem there would be more of these “tagged” occurrences.

It literally happens all the time. Like every couple weeks. They just usually have til Thursday to get the clubs to the player and are at a site with an equipment truck. This event starts Tuesday morning and there’s no truck on site.

Not buying the excuse

They lost his clubs and he'd rather shift focus to the event this week than playing with a thrown together set. I'm assuming they are sorting out his luggage or he will get a set made at the tour stop, which he will now need to use his time to fine tune. I highly doubt it's anything more than that...

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Two observations:

I have a friend who was a caddie on the Champions tour for awhile. One of his jobs was to find a spot at the airport were he could watch bags get loaded onto the plane.

I was on a flight from Orlando to New Orleans a few years ago before the Zurich. Justin Rose was on the same flight and he was at baggage claim with the rest of us waiting for his Club Glove to come out with the rest of the baggage.

G-Mac is taking a lot of heat but only he knows how well he'd play with replacement clubs. I am nowhere near the player G-Mac is, nor do I have the resources he does but I have been out of town without my clubs and been forced to use rental clubs and the rounds were pure disaster. If G-Mac doesn't feel he'd play well with replacement clubs he may not want to look like a fool in front of galleries and have it televised. Could also be a mental thing, but it seems some are being pretty harsh.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Total non-story. At least it would've been in the pre-twitter days.

It's a random occurrence that led to a reasonable schedule adjustment. Somehow, on the internet, it's gotten twisted into some sort of character issue or conspiracy theory.

Not character or conspiracy, just dumb if you are a pro golfer and you show up without golf clubs.

Reminds me of when Homer.....