2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno vs. PXG Irons?

GoTime

I posed this question in another PXG related thread but didn't get much feedback. I have always been a mizuno player and am thoroughly enjoying my JPX850 Forged....but I'm tempted by PXG.....probably the T model.

Has anyone thoroughly played, not just hit, both Mizuno and their equivalent iron from PXG?

Curious for your thoughts on feel, performance, etc etc.

I think it is an apples to apples.

I have a set of PXG coming my way. I went T thru 7, 0311 6-4 and XF in a 3.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I can tell you I had 0311 with LZ shafts and hated the way they feel. Have 900 HM with exact same shaft that feel a lot better. To each his own I scratched the pxg itch and was not impressed

I have a set of the HM's...not even in the same ballpark as the JPX forged! HM's I hate to say have a Mizzy badge on them, I hope the designer at Mizuno cant sleep at night over that one!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

The PXG T is the companies tour model, against Mizuno 850 Forged game improvement iron,

Different irons for different players.

Have you seen the two side by side? The PXG Tour....the biggest complaint is that they are not a small tour head. Tons of forgiveness in a players cavity head.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

The PXG T is the companies tour model, against Mizuno 850 Forged game improvement iron,

Have you seen the two side by side? The PXG Tour....the biggest complaint is that they are not a small tour head. Tons of forgiveness in a players cavity head.

Was unaware of that complaint, was just pointing out how each were designed for different players category.

Maybe a better comparison would be the mizuno 900 tour and the PXG tour

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Was unaware of that complaint, was just pointing out how each were designed for different players category.

Maybe a better comparison would be the mizuno 900 tour and the PXG tour

The 900 Tour Mizzy is a much smaller head that the PXG tour.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Callaway Chrome Tour

I'm not much of a Mizzy fan but like Rodrigo, I got my hands on a set of 0311Ts with steel fibers and have to say, I was disappointed. I have tried a lot of irons over the last couple years and the PXGs don't rank up near the top at all. I really wanted to like them but was really disappointed... unless hit dead out of the center the feel was less than stellar. When hit out of the center they felt nice but I didn't know if my 9 iron was going to go 140 or 160.... Turf interaction was not great for me either. The PXGs are nice but if I had to choose, I'd go Mizzy. I feel like Mizzy has some better options to suit most players. PXG has different models but no different sole grinds that I know of?? PXG are worth a try, glad I got the chance but I know now, they are not worth my money.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I haven't played the PXG Irons but have hit the current MP & JPX line and I have to say they are about as good as Mizuno has produced ever. One could purchase two sets of Mizuno Irons

with your shaft choice and have cash for a new driver at the cost of a set of PXG Irons.

Some of you would really be confused if you ever hit a Endo Forged Iron..... They are what kicked Mizuno out of my bag after almost two decades

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I think you need to go through the fitting process with both and see. I've owned 5 sets of mizzy's and love them. BUT, went through the process with PXG at my club and decided it was a no-go only due to price. I loved the feel, sound (muted but powerful), turf interaction, exacting distances (just like my mizzy's), but the forgiveness in the 0311t's is what put me over the edge. I tend to have rounds where my ball striking is scratch-esque' and rounds where I look like 20 hcp hitting the ball all over the face. These 0311t's feel like they might let me get away with it a little more.

As soon as I found out about PXG's veteran discount program-- I was on it like a donkey on a waffle! I should receive them next week and literally think about playing them every time I think about golf.

People that haven't had the opportunity to go through their fairly arduous fitting process and end up trying somebody else's clubs haven't seemed to like them. Just my observation.

Also, I currently game MP-64's with Modus 120 x's that are only a few months old. It's my second set of those and I think they are an all time great iron. Just not super forgiving when I'm having a bad hair day and hitting thin bullets. I had the JPX 850 forged for about 3 months when they first came out and just couldn't get along with the feel. Too firm and clicky for a mizzy and me. Gave them to my bro.

I think you need to go through the fitting process with both and see. I've owned 5 sets of mizzy's and love them. BUT, went through the process with PXG at my club and decided it was a no-go only due to price. I loved the feel, sound (muted but powerful), turf interaction, exacting distances (just like my mizzy's), but the forgiveness in the 0311t's is what put me over the edge. I tend to have rounds where my ball striking is scratch-esque' and rounds where I look like 20 hcp hitting the ball all over the face. These 0311t's feel like they might let me get away with it a little more.

As soon as I found out about PXG's veteran discount program-- I was on it like a donkey on a waffle! I should receive them next week and literally think about playing them every time I think about golf.

People that haven't had the opportunity to go through their fairly arduous fitting process and end up trying somebody else's clubs haven't seemed to like them. Just my observation.

Also, I currently game MP-64's with Modus 120 x's that are only a few months old. It's my second set of those and I think they are an all time great iron. Just not super forgiving when I'm having a bad hair day and hitting thin bullets. I had the JPX 850 forged for about 3 months when they first came out and just couldn't get along with the feel. Too firm and clicky for a mizzy and me. Gave them to my bro.

Thanks for your post. Please be sure to follow up after a few months of play and refresh your thoughts for us!

• 2 months later...

I've played 900 tours for 2 seasons now. but, I also am considering PXG 3011T to replace them through the Military Discount Program. Looking for a little more distance and forgiveness when I don't quite middle it. Love the look of the 900 tour at address. I looked down a the 3011 Gen 1 and thought they were too big and too offset for my eye...on the 4 iron I could see the screws from address. Thought that I would maybe go 4-5 in the P and 6-W in T. Glad I took a look first...even only the 4 in the 3001 P would have to dramatically out perform the T for me.

I plan on testing this week....the PXG rep has been pretty slow to get back to me. I have like the Modus 120 shaft in every Iron head I have tested including my over my PX 6.0 LZ. I'm assuming the PXG will be no different. If I can't get a fitting I'll most likely spec the lie out to my 900 tours and pull the trigger assuming there is not a huge difference.

Titleist TSR3 9* - GD Tour AD Di 6s  45.25"
Titleist TSR2 16.5" GD Tour AD Di 7x 
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 2i Nippon Modus 120s 
Mizuno MP 225 4-PW Nippon Modus 115s
TM MG2 50*, 54*, TM MG3 60*
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Doulble Wide Putter 34" 

I haven't played the PXG Irons but have hit the current MP & JPX line and I have to say they are about as good as Mizuno has produced ever. One could purchase two sets of Mizuno Irons

with your shaft choice and have cash for a new driver at the cost of a set of PXG Irons.

Some of you would really be confused if you ever hit a Endo Forged Iron..... They are what kicked Mizuno out of my bag after almost two decades

Same here bro... J15CB knocked my 53s out after a long uncontested reign of Mizuno.... FAST. Bridgestone irons and Endo Forging are highly underrated and probably the softest forging I've ever hit... Made MP53s and 64s feel average (dare I say it).

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

I've played 900 tours for 2 seasons now. but, I also am considering PXG 3011T to replace them through the Military Discount Program. Looking for a little more distance and forgiveness when I don't quite middle it. Love the look of the 900 tour at address. I looked down a the 3011 Gen 1 and thought they were too big and too offset for my eye...on the 4 iron I could see the screws from address. Thought that I would maybe go 4-5 in the P and 6-W in T. Glad I took a look first...even only the 4 in the 3001 P would have to dramatically out perform the T for me.

I plan on testing this week....the PXG rep has been pretty slow to get back to me. I have like the Modus 120 shaft in every Iron head I have tested including my over my PX 6.0 LZ. I'm assuming the PXG will be no different. If I can't get a fitting I'll most likely spec the lie out to my 900 tours and pull the trigger assuming there is not a huge difference.

You won't be disappointed.....I combo'd my PXG ...8-pw of the T head 4-7 with gen 1 original model.....lofts are stronger than I'm accustomed yet trajectory is better overall. Feel is awesome..... I won't compare to mizuno or endo....I've had both, as that's up to users discretion

I have had PXG XF gen 1, PXG P Gen 2 and JPX900 HM over the past year. Distance-wise they are similar. The HM launch a little higher but look chunkier at address. The PXG's feel softer. I haven't tried the JPX900 forged, which is probably a better comparison to the 0311Ps. I'm gaming my 0311P and the HM are my back-ups.

Same here bro... J15CB knocked my 53s out after a long uncontested reign of Mizuno.... FAST. Bridgestone irons and Endo Forging are highly underrated and probably the softest forging I've ever hit... Made MP53s and 64s feel average (dare I say it).

Take that last comment back you monster, I'm crying and shaking here!

If it helps, Endo has a rep for being clicky, not buttery. There you go.

I played Epon 701 - the big 'un, my son played 501s about 9 yrs ago - both clicky but they performed.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Have a set of the Gen 1 0311XFs on the way after gaming JPX800’s for the last 5 years and 900’s for the last few months. I bought the 900s used and like them (but not a huge fan of the Nippon R flex shaft) and quickly thereafter realized I could get the PXGs through the Heroes program so I figured they were worth a shot. Ordered them with the KBS Tour S flex I had and loved in my 800s. Looking forward to getting them in for sure.

Are you gonna eat your fat?

I played the 850 forged for awhile and now play the 900 forged. I've hit PXG quite a few times, most recently at a fitting. I hit both the 0311 and 0311T (Gen 1), and it wasn't even close. PXG were higher spinning (too high) and way shorter. This is with the same shaft as the Mizuno 900 forged. The 900 forged has higher overall ball speeds and went straighter and longer. I also think the Mizuno looks way better. Feel wise, both feel nice but are different.

For me, the PXG didn't perform and would have to be way better for the price they charge.

I previously had the MP18 SCs and am now playing the 0311Ts. The hollow clubs (have also played TM-B) have a totally different feel to a solid forged club. Tough to compare. Imo nothing is better than a flushed one piece forging. However, I am, also enjoying the feel of the PXGs.

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

I have had PXG XF gen 1, PXG P Gen 2 and JPX900 HM over the past year. Distance-wise they are similar. The HM launch a little higher but look chunkier at address. The PXG's feel softer. I haven't tried the JPX900 forged, which is probably a better comparison to the 0311Ps. I'm gaming my 0311P and the HM are my back-ups.

Tried jpx900F.....launched and spun lower than my pxg 0311

I played Epon 701 - the big 'un, my son played 501s about 9 yrs ago - both clicky but they performed.

2011 Nike vr pro combo were endo as were 2013 Callaway xforged....neither clicky!

2011 Nike vr pro combo were endo as were 2013 Callaway xforged....neither clicky!

Just telling you like it was for Epon, which is Endo's House Brand.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I previously had the MP18 SCs and am now playing the 0311Ts. The hollow clubs (have also played TM-B) have a totally different feel to a solid forged club. Tough to compare. Imo nothing is better than a flushed one piece forging. However, I am, also enjoying the feel of the PXGs.

How's shot control and approach shots with the PXGs? I'm considering them as my next iron but I'm not entirely sold on them yet. I'm also eyeing the 919 Tours. Reason I'm eyeing the PXGs is that they'll probably be able to dial them in really well to my desired SW and set up. Also helps to hear some good feedback on them.

its not even close. PXG is better in every category. So forgiving and very long. The one thing they are lacking for me is that soft buttery feel of a solid forged iron. But they are much better than mizzys. I dont play either brand but I have hit both multiple times and would go with PXG every time if money is no object.

• Haha 1