2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My buddy has made it to the final 8, losing to Nathan

He's a TOURNEY +3, not your avg country club vanity +3.

He's won the Cdn Mid Am three times, played in two PGA tour events and two US Senior Opens

The top guys are dead solid is what I am saying. There's not many scrappy 76's out there. Now back when the Mid-Am was 40+ up here it was a different story, then it went to 35, then 30 and then finally matched the good old US of A.

Personally I think the mid-am should be 35+

Either that or create a mid-senior which is 40+, like most states have.

Just as long as a win still comes with a Masters invite, since that is the WHOLE reason I play in it.

We have a mid-senior in FL at 40+, actually what I'm playing in tomorrow. There are no qualifiers though, just sign up and play. It's 54 holes and a cut to low 60 and ties after 36. I think -2 won it two years ago (hurricane last year) and cut was +16.

To put a bow on this one I shot 80-77 and missed the cut which fell at +8. The winner shot -14 this year :swoon:

First round leader shot 63. He was the best score on that course by 6 shots. Just amazing scoring this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a friend who is a caddy at Charlotte CC where the finals are being held. He got picked up by a player and caddied through the first 2 days of stroke play. His player didn't make the match play portion of the event. But anyways I went up and watched a few days of the event and it was a great tournament to attend. You get to see high quality golf with no admission charge and crowds are non existent. I'm surprised more people dont attend these events.

Congrats to anyone who made the tournament or tried to qualify. The players we watched were very high quality golfers.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

• 4 weeks later...

Stewart Hagestad won this a couple of years ago. He was playing in some Met area events and I didn't see him shoot worse than about 68 all summer. He shot 65 a couple of times and 61 in the Met Amateur (which he won). He won the Mid Am with a huge comeback over Scott Harvey I think. He went on to make the cut in the Masters the following year and was on the Walker Cup team. He can play. Standard to get into the tournament is decent. To qualify for the match play you probably have to shoot around even par over 2 rounds. To win, you have to take it deep.

Stew is an interesting character as far as mid-ams are concerned. After he won the US Mid-Am he took a leave of absence from his Wall St. job and was playing golf full time to prepare for the Masters. I'm not sure if he's still playing full time or if he's gone back to work. He had a good showing at the US Am this year and another good showing at the Mid-Am last month. Wonder what's holding the guy back from pulling the trigger and going pro. Maybe he would have if he had won the Mid-Am and gotten to play in the Masters again.

Stewart Hagestad won this a couple of years ago. He was playing in some Met area events and I didn't see him shoot worse than about 68 all summer. He shot 65 a couple of times and 61 in the Met Amateur (which he won). He won the Mid Am with a huge comeback over Scott Harvey I think. He went on to make the cut in the Masters the following year and was on the Walker Cup team. He can play. Standard to get into the tournament is decent. To qualify for the match play you probably have to shoot around even par over 2 rounds. To win, you have to take it deep.

Stew is an interesting character as far as mid-ams are concerned. After he won the US Mid-Am he took a leave of absence from his Wall St. job and was playing golf full time to prepare for the Masters. I'm not sure if he's still playing full time or if he's gone back to work. He had a good showing at the US Am this year and another good showing at the Mid-Am last month. Wonder what's holding the guy back from pulling the trigger and going pro. Maybe he would have if he had won the Mid-Am and gotten to play in the Masters again.

I found out a few pieces of info from a friend I play quite a bit with who went to school with Stew. First off, he's immensely talented and reportedly a great guy. Secondly, he apparently could never work another day in his life and still be beyond financially secure, and because of that does not have any interest in grinding it our on the pro circuits. I guess he really enjoys amateur golf and being successful on the national stage in that world.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Everything you said there is completely accurate. Except ... to "shoot around even par over 2 rounds" at the U.S. Mid-Am, you have to do it on a USGA set-up golf course, and if you've never seen one set up for the U.S. Am or U.S. Mid-Am, think "U.S. Open set-up," though usually on a course around 7,000 yards instead of 7300 to 7600. Shooting back to back 73's at pretty much any USGA Championship venue is ... PHENOMENAL golf.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Everything you said there is completely accurate. Except ... to "shoot around even par over 2 rounds" at the U.S. Mid-Am, you have to do it on a USGA set-up golf course, and if you've never seen one set up for the U.S. Am or U.S. Mid-Am, think "U.S. Open set-up," though usually on a course around 7,000 yards instead of 7300 to 7600. Shooting back to back 73's at pretty much any USGA Championship venue is ... PHENOMENAL golf.

USGA events are a different planet. Was very fortunate to compete in this year's US Mid Am. It was the first one that I had qualified for, and I can attest to the difficulty. Just a complete examination of your game that makes the average parts look bad and the good parts look average. Its kind of an exercise in keeping your head up and keeping it under 80. :)

USGA events are a different planet. Was very fortunate to compete in this year's US Mid Am. It was the first one that I had qualified for, and I can attest to the difficulty. Just a complete examination of your game that makes the average parts look bad and the good parts look average. Its kind of an exercise in keeping your head up and keeping it under 80. :)

I have yet to qualify for my first one, though I play with and against guys who have played in many. I give and get against those guys all the time, but the U.S. Mid-Am has always eluded me with a couple misses by a shot, including one where I triple-bogeyed the last hole to miss by one. :-(

I've only tried the qualify for the U.S. Am two or three times. in 2007, was solo 2nd after morning round and had to WD six holes later with blisters so bad I tried to play barefoot. And that was that. LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I have yet to qualify for my first one, though I play with and against guys who have played in many. I give and get against those guys all the time, but the U.S. Mid-Am has always eluded me with a couple misses by a shot, including one where I triple-bogeyed the last hole to miss by one. :-(

I've only tried the qualify for the U.S. Am two or three times. in 2007, was solo 2nd after morning round and had to WD six holes later with blisters so bad I tried to play barefoot. And that was that. LOL

I hear ya, it's really tough. I was first alternate twice but never got to go. Last time was about 15 years or so ago which is also my last USGA Mid-Am qualifier. I played nicely both times.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I can attest to this. I played in the 2013 US Mid Am at CC of Birmingham. 4 inch long Bermuda rough that the ball sat straight down in, fairways narrowed to 10-15 yards in landing zones, pins absolutely tucked on every green. My caddy and I found the hardest place they could reasonably put a pin on every green during the practice rounds and sure enough that’s where the vast majority of the pins were come tourney time. It was brutal. A great learning experience and I’m incredibly grateful I got to play, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as fun.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• 2 months later...

Legitimate +3 or better with significant prior high level tournament success.

When I say legitimate +3 I mean 70 is a bad score for you at your home course.

When I say prior high level tournament success I mean winning major metropolitan or state amateur events.

I agree. Parziale is currently a +2.6 and won it last year.

I'm a legit +2.1 right now but Parziale's +2.6 is about two worlds a head of me. I struggle to qualify for the actual tournament itself much less start winning matches.

There are some seriously tournament tested players in the Mid am so you really need to go in packing heat or just get really hot for a week. For me the hard part is I'll shoot 68-72 day in and day out where you need to make tons of birdies on tough course setups in matchplay if you draw someone who is hot. Right now on my index my high is 73 and my low is 68 but a lot of the guys who will be in the Mid am finals will have no problem throwing a 63 on the board.

• 1 month later...

What does it take to win this tourney? Any stats? What kind of handicaps do winner have? It's my goal and was curious what level the play is at?

thanks

To qualify you will most likely need to shoot or break par.

if you qualify, to make match play you need to break 150 usually for 36 holes on a USGA set-up which is not easy.

To win the whole thing....? Consistent ball striker that can play under pressure and make critical putts. Plus, you need a little luck and hope you don't run up against a guy who gets hot for one round.

I've played in 4 US Mid-Ams. Worst score I shot to qualify to get in the event was -1 under par two separate times, which both times got me in a playoff. The other two I shot -4 under and -3 under.

Once I qualified for the event, I made match play only once after a 75-70=145 in stroke play. Got bounced in 1st Round 3&1.

I'm a +2.7 currently.

Play lots of tournament golf to get prepared. You need to play to a plus handicap in tournaments anywhere you go to have any chance of even qualifying, let alone winning it.

Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura VC 6.2 X
3-wood Callaway XR Aldila Rip B 70 X
Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Aldila RIP a X
4-PW Callaway Apex Pro DG X-100
Wedges Callaway MD Forged 52, 56, PM 64
Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 009 @T

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/990289-witb-forty/"]WITB Link[/url]

damn, yeah just getting back into it hard core since junior/college days (33 now). was around a 0/+1 then and handicap has been dropping nicely over last year 10 to now 2). plan to play in big florida am events and goal to get to us am within 3-4 years.

Hey man don’t let the dream die! Kenny Perry was 40’s in his prime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck GatorMD, a goal of mine every year as well. Forty is spot on with his requirement a couple posts up.

I have seen par make it into the qualifying at tougher qualifying locations. I was low in a qualifier a few years ago with a 74, but the course was a 77 rating in tough conditions. That course happened to be a heck of a lot easier than the USGA setup too... I was a +2 handicap at the time and the course really tore me up, Saucon Valley CC in Pennsylvania. Once match play begins anything can happen, but I would say the winners are usually guys like Hagestad and Harvey that have to be around a +5 or +6 handicap realistically.

Good luck GatorMD, a goal of mine every year as well. Forty is spot on with his requirement a couple posts up.

I have seen par make it into the qualifying at tougher qualifying locations. I was low in a qualifier a few years ago with a 74, but the course was a 77 rating in tough conditions. That course happened to be a heck of a lot easier than the USGA setup too... I was a +2 handicap at the time and the course really tore me up, Saucon Valley CC in Pennsylvania. Once match play begins anything can happen, but I would say the winners are usually guys like Hagestad and Harvey that have to be around a +5 or +6 handicap realistically.

Stu currently sitting at a gawdy +6.2. That is filthy.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

For reference, it takes somewhere in the realm of a +3 (at least) to be competitive in the US Mid Am. If Tour pros had handicaps, they'd probably be +10 or +12 or something...YIKES. Here goes the cliche truth... These guys are good.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

• 1 year later...

[DISCLAIMER: I am jealous of people who don't have to work and get to play golf all the time]

So I have a question about a guy like Stewart Hagestad. He's an "amateur" yes because he doesn't play on a pro tour but...he also isn't a normal person with a 9-to-5, right? He plays in all these tournaments and, presumably, has to practice and play constantly. So my question is, how often is at an actual desk doing work? Or does he have a "position" at a real estate firm where they like having him because he is a really good golfer but he doesn't have to do any actual work? I'm sure he is a smart guy but it seems (based on rumors not fact of course) like he is "employed" to be this well known amateur golfer who represents a real estate firm but doesn't actually do anything for that company. That seems like a very odd arrangement. This quote from an older GolfDigest article really tickled me:

"In the real world, Hagestad's boss at Oaktree Residential, a real-estate management company, took no issue with the conscientious young man taking personal days to play tournaments. Shooting a course-record 61 at the Country Club of Fairfield, en route to winning the New York area's 2016 Met Amateur, brought Oaktree a little notoriety, though nothing like when Hagestad captured the 2016 U.S. Mid-Amateur."

What notoriety? You run a real-estate management company and one of your "employees" is an ELITE golfer. So I should use your company because you employ this guy? It's the same as if there is a financial advisor who is also a +5 HDCP. No thanks, I would prefer the guy who is WORKING not the guy who is playing golf all the time. What a strange world we live in. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 1 month later...