John Daly / PXG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd choice of bedfellows.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Doesn't affect me in the least. To me, these are no better than anything else sold.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

I’m glad to see something go John’s way.

You forgot the irony smiley. He got and still gets a lot of invites to tournaments he isn't qualified for, he gets sponsor deals despite playing not so well for most of the last 20 years. The things not going his way (gambling debts, 4 divorces, drinking, overweight, WDs) were not happening by accident or some godly decision, they were the results of choices Big John made. Him getting another equipment deal or an invite to the Greenbrier is just another lucky break for the man who could have achieved so much if he only put some energy in.

I’m glad to see something go John’s way.

You forgot the irony smiley. He got and still gets a lot of invites to tournaments he isn't qualified for, he gets sponsor deals despite playing not so well for most of the last 20 years. The things not going his way (gambling debts, 4 divorces, drinking, overweight, WDs) were not happening by accident or some godly decision, they were the results of choices Big John made. Him getting another equipment deal or an invite to the Greenbrier is just another lucky break for the man who could have achieved so much if he only put some energy in.

Absolutely correct-

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.

TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.

Nobody's perfect bud

Everyone has their own demons to deal with

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

Glad GolfWRX isn't made of glass with all the stones being thrown. If true, good more him and hopefully PXG.

Nike Vapor Fly TW w/ Whiteboard
Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
Adams A7 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
Nike Vapor Fly 4i w/ AXIVCore Green
Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow

Nobody's perfect bud

I realize that. Believe me, I'm pulling for Daly to overcome his demons. My comment is based on squandered potential. I've met John Daly and he was more interested in selling his trinkets and drinking his beer than working on his game. There are many young players who are looking/hoping for a break but don't get one. That's all I'm saying. Daly has had his day in the sun and if he were working his tail off I'd think differently.

We all have some sort of demon we wrestle with but that's a different issue.

That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.
That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.

And why is it harsh? Many would say the assessment is spot on accurate. Look at last week for example. He withdraws from the US Senior Open because he doesn't get a cart. He's invited to submit additional information to validate this request. Instead of validating this he simply quits and withdraws. Scott Verplank went through the necessary steps and had a cart. Why should JD be treated differently? Again, if he worked half as hard on his game than he does selling trinkets maybe his detractors would think differently.

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Nobody's perfect bud

I have a running drinking game on wrx in john daly threads when someone says "demons".I get wasted pretty quick... ;)

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Vice versa for people ripping JD but giving TW a pass because of his record I guess. c'est la vie

Nike Vapor Fly TW w/ Whiteboard
Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
Adams A7 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
Nike Vapor Fly 4i w/ AXIVCore Green
Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow

Vice versa for people ripping JD but giving TW a pass because of his record I guess. c'est la vie

Not too many people gave TW a pass regarding his DUI driving or his skirt chasing. But TW put a pretty brilliant career together with multiple major wins and dozens of tournament wins around the globe from 1996 through 2013. John Daly won 4 tournaments between 1991 and 1995, three more between 2001 and 2003, and has an impressive record of WDs and MCs aside from his multiple off-course "ventures".

Probably has a lot to do with how each one handled their “issues”. Daly was upfront about his addictions and has said he can’t overcome them. Tiger hides in a house and has a guy release statements about his drugs being mismanaged. Daly gets raked by his wife and he shows up with open wounds on his face to play the next day. Tiger gets whacked with a 9 iron and he somehow refuses to talk to law enforcement about driving his suv over a fire hydrant. Daly plays like carp and simply walks off, WD’ing like a child. Tiger makes up fantastical theatre about his glutes and whatnot. I think the difference is that Daly acknowledges his fans while Tiger generally wishes they all died in a fire while he watched from the clubhouse. One is a forgivable character, the other is not.