Look, Either Keep Score or Don't...

To the OP, you tried to embarrass him after the round about those two putts. You were an asshat.......

Really just shake my head reading these threads. The worst rounds I have are when you play with sticklers who are watching everything that you do and is policing you.

Happened to me one time while playing a team stableford at our course and did not have fun (nor did the new member playing his first rounds there). Have laughed about it when we see each other.

Events are to play well and if you win great, if not and wonderful weather, good guys and had fun..... Great.....

I want everyone I play with to play their best and cheer them on. I would never embarrass them and if a tough hole and bogey putt goes 2-3' past I'll give it to them. A great chip to 2-3' too, I'm not letting them ruin their day missing the putt too......

I see golf as 18 separate holes and know whether they are playing well or not.

BTW I only ask about partners' score if I know they played well and want to congratulate them.

To say to someone you never played with "well you didn't putt out on two holes" just amazes me.

Only on Golfwrx.

It sounds like you might have a better time on Golfwrx if you just avoided the Rules of Golf and Etiquette all together. You've made it pretty clear you have no intentions of playing the game by the rules so why even bother posting in this sub-forum? Do you just enjoy trolling those that actually use this for it's intended purpose? I have no interest in Golf Style and Accessories so I just don't click on it. You don't see me in there trolling everyone who wears a blade collar.

We get it. You don't play rules and think they are dumb. More power to you - do what you enjoy. But it gets old you acting like those who like playing by the rules are "sticklers", etc.

Would you have fun playing a pick up basketball game with someone who never dribbled the ball and just sprinted down the court and made a layup? Then after the game acted like they were better than you at basketball?

I enjoy myself for the most part here and admittedly laugh reading how serious some people take the game and then explain it is an allegory as to life itself and how you can tell a lot about someone based on how they are on the golf course (sometimes you can).

The stableford I described is a monthly game and included a dinner/drink and I think cost $40 (so maybe $10 towards the "match") and you'd be paired and I think HC's used and top 2 scores/hole, very casual. In this case after 2-3 holes we had no chance (one can tell when the 4th golfer was given a 16 HC as a new member without one and was probably a 25) and it was not fun playing with the rulie.

Unless a real competition or money game, go with the flow (and yes if striped down the middle into a fresh divot move it :taunt: )

Why would you laugh at how serious some people play golf? Some aspire to get better, to meet specific goals, before moving on to the next one. They enjoy the process, the work, and yes even the struggle. I play golf by the rules because that is how I think it should be played. If I play chess, I don't allow the rook to move like a knight, or a pawn like a queen.

I don't really care how you play, but I don't see any reason to laugh at those who play the game by the rules.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue here is whether or not the guy was posting the score for handicap. If not, no one should care what he mistakenly think he scored, however if the score is going to be posted then by all means pick him up on his mistakes otherwise you are failing the system and falsifying a handicap, admittedly only to the player’s own detriment. If the WHS moves to attested scores, then without rigour in attestation the system will degenerate into a free for all.

This one is easy - you should have DQ'd him from the casual round for sweeping away a 5 ft putt on the first hole and then not correcting his breach of the rules.

What is the point of raking a 5 footer and calling it good other than the fact that you're afraid you are going to miss it? The only instance where I can see this as a possibility is for some reason your group is way behind and is holding up play. I honestly find gimmes in golf fascinating. The entire point of the game is to get the ball in the hole, but people insist on skipping this part?. In what other sport do you not finish out a result? In basketball someone has a breakaway with no one else even close.. Does he complete the layup? Or does he just stop and give the ball to the other team to inbound and say "oh that was a gimme, give our team 2 points."

Conceded putts in match play. Are those against the rules? If not then the whole point of the game is not always to get the ball in the hole. Correct? Besides that what is so wrong with people making up their own individual rules if they are only playing against themselves?

Don't disagree with your second sentence, but this isn't a good analogy. The whole point of match play is to record a better score on the hole than the opponent. If the opponent is willing to give you the putt and make that your score(which is specifically stated in the rules), that is what you get on that hole.

But if you're playing match play, you're likely not talking about shooting a 74 either.

That wasn't meant as an analogy it was pointing out that there are times when getting the ball in the hole is not the entire point of the game. The point being the Dude was playing by his own rules and pleased which was probably his entire point of spending the time and possibly money to play that day. OP felt obligated to 'put him on notice' just to &$^% all over the Dude feeling pleased. The OP was the one keeping score and reading off the scores at the end of the round. It doesn't seem like the Dude was bragging about anything. We weren't there so who knows.

Having played a lot of match play over the last 10+ years I can't remember anyone ever saying I shot XX today but had Y putts conceded.

It depends. If you are just playing the match and you do pickup conceded putts, you likely would not post the score. You can play a match withing a stroke play event, in which case you would putt it, even if it was conceded

You should be posting the score for match play with conceded putts.

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=7

everyone is focused on the guy playing recreational golf and seemingly not interested in keeping a handicap. Let him be. Everyone should be getting spun up on the guy who intentionally blows holes up in an effort to inflate his handicap. I know guys like this and I absolutely refuse to play with them.

everyone is focused on the guy playing recreational golf and seemingly not interested in keeping a handicap. Let him be. Everyone should be getting spun up on the guy who intentionally blows holes up in an effort to inflate his handicap. I know guys like this and I absolutely refuse to play with them.

Years ago (first and last time I ever played in a club "match play" tournament) the guy I faced in the first round was playing off a 21 handicap. I conceded him a birdie putt on the 9th hole to go shoot even par for the nine and put me 7-down through 9 holes.

He bogeys the 10th and 11th to win the match 8-and-7 then says, "We might was well play in the last seven holes". The change in his game once our match was over was remarkable. He developed a sudden attack of the shanks and ended up losing a sleeve of balls and "shooting" 88. Or at least that what he posted.

I reported the whole mess to the "handicap committee". They found an old GHIN entry from the club he had belonged before coming to our club six months earlier. Something like a 6.5 index. So they reduced his index to 6.5 and as far as I know he never entered another tournament at that club.

Problem was, by then I was out my $75 entry fee and had nothing to show for it but 3-1/2 hours spent seeing true, blatant sandbagging in its purest form. Pretty ugly stuff.

P.S. I just remembered one other thing. He told me on the first tee, "I don't believe in conceding putts, we need to putt everything out". I told him that was fine by me and sure enough he never conceded. I played like normal match play and told him to pick up putts that didn't matter. Probably made his sandbagging a tiny bit harder, knowing what I know now he was probably prepared to 3-jack from five feet if the hole was already won.

Years ago (first and last time I ever played in a club "match play" tournament) the guy I faced in the first round was playing off a 21 handicap. I conceded him a birdie putt on the 9th hole to go shoot even par for the nine and put me 7-down through 9 holes.

He bogeys the 10th and 11th to win the match 8-and-7 then says, "We might was well play in the last seven holes". The change in his game once our match was over was remarkable. He developed a sudden attack of the shanks and ended up losing a sleeve of balls and "shooting" 88. Or at least that what he posted.

I reported the whole mess to the "handicap committee". They found an old GHIN entry from the club he had belonged before coming to our club six months earlier. Something like a 6.5 index. So they reduced his index to 6.5 and as far as I know he never entered another tournament at that club.

Problem was, by then I was out my $75 entry fee and had nothing to show for it but 3-1/2 hours spent seeing true, blatant sandbagging in its purest form. Pretty ugly stuff.

I no longer play in our season match play championship for the same reason. A few years back I was scratch and my opponent was listed as a 17. However, he is the guy that will brag about shooting 77 or 78 on a regular basis. I had to give him 17 strokes.

I shot 2 over on the front and was 5 down. Not my best showing at the time, but to be 5 down after 9 holes to an alleged 17 hcp.....

On the back nine I birdied the 10th and he made par for a net birdie to remain 5 up. I made pars on 11 and 12. He also made pars on 11 and 12 for net birdies, and closed me out 7 and 6. It was a joke.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I no longer play in our season match play championship for the same reason. A few years back I was scratch and my opponent was listed as a 17. However, he is the guy that will brag about shooting 77 or 78 on a regular basis. I had to give him 17 strokes.

I shot 2 over on the front and was 5 down. Not my best showing at the time, but to be 5 down after 9 holes to an alleged 17 hcp.....

On the back nine I birdied the 10th and he made par for a net birdie to remain 5 up. I made pars on 11 and 12. He also made pars on 11 and 12 for net birdies, and closed me out 7 and 6. It was a joke.

It's this kind of thing that ruins tournament golf for the amateur. Here we have the chance to play tournament golf, and a few *ssholes ruin it. When they look in the mirror the next morning they know they are a cheater, so what have they really won? Nothing, because deep down they know they cheated. So what good is that trophy on the mantel going to do? Every time he looks at it he won't see what he won, but it will serve as a reminder that he is a cheater.

I simply don't understand the point of winning something you didn't earn. To me there would be zero satisfaction in that, quite the opposite.

I also don't understand why they are allowed to get away with it. If I were in a decision making role I would suspend those people for three months, and make sure their HI's were properly adjusted.

I'm all for docking the guy's handicap but IMO they should have either DQ'd him or at least refunded my entry fee. It was actually the loss of the $75 that most infuriated me about it. I played great, as I recall I finished the round like one stroke under my handicap. But I had zero chance of ever advancing to the next round.

This thread is not about HC's or sandbagging (as much as I love the stories and bad for those affected). I have stated I am all about having fun and yes playing at a good pace. I don't like rulies and if someone walked back to the tee because a ball that should easily be found was not, I'd leave them. If someone made a comment because my ball in the fairway landed in an unfilled divot and I moved it 3" and made birdie and was mocked, I'd give them the finger or myob and move on.

As said if you don't have fun playing with me, then don't sign up when you see me on the tee sheet, my feelings are not hurt.

What the OP wrote and below in case people need to confirm (as I did) is what I took offense to and thought it was petty.

This is the is-it-me? part of my post. I could have let it go but that stuff has always irked me, esp, when a tainted score bests another players score that's correct (No, he didn't best my score) so I said, "yeah, but you did sweep away a couple of 5 footers out there."

"Well call it an 85 then" he said. I replied, "You call it whatever you'd like to call it."

This thread is not about HC's or sandbagging (as much as I love the stories and bad for those affected). I have stated I am all about having fun and yes playing at a good pace. I don't like rulies and if someone walked back to the tee because a ball that should easily be found was not, I'd leave them. If someone made a comment because my ball in the fairway landed in an unfilled divot and I moved it 3" and made birdie and was mocked, I'd give them the finger or myob and move on.

As said if you don't have fun playing with me, then don't sign up when you see me on the tee sheet, my feelings are not hurt.

What the OP wrote and below in case people need to confirm (as I did) is what I took offense to and thought it was petty.

This is the is-it-me? part of my post. I could have let it go but that stuff has always irked me, esp, when a tainted score bests another players score that's correct (No, he didn't best my score) so I said, "yeah, but you did sweep away a couple of 5 footers out there."

"Well call it an 85 then" he said. I replied, "You call it whatever you'd like to call it."

So you can have your opinion of "rulies" (as you call them) and say whatever you like to one of them, but the OP can't have his opinion about those who don't play by the rules? Seems fair....

Edit - sometimes threads evolve or take a turn here or there and touch on alternate subjects. Its a discussion forum, and just as in real world discussions, it happens.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

So you can have your opinion of "rulies" (as you call them) and say whatever you like to one of them, but the OP can't have his opinion about those who don't play by the rules? Seems fair....

Edit - sometimes threads evolve or take a turn here or there and touch on alternate subjects. Its a discussion forum, and just as in real world discussions, it happens.

He can do whatever he wants but the thread really comes down to what he said to his playing partner post round and frankly the Title of the thread. My group knows how I play and my putting woes and if they want to comment after as we know each other quite well and rib me, then they can (and we'll have a good laugh). This was a stranger at the course that he accused of "Cheating" for all intents and purposes.

One point worth noting is that the OP opened with "I couldn't care either way", and ended with describing how much it bugged him.

He claimed that it was a calm discussion, but the 'call it whatever you want' comment seems like it was pretty sarcastic. The tone may not have been that way at all, but the OP mentioned that the guy probably felt that it was.

I play a lot of rounds where this scenario has played out exactly as described, but I don't recall ever saying anything other than "no problem, we weren't in a tournament". And then adding that if we had been playing for post round drinks, it would be different.

If I were bothered by someones behavior, I would bring it up on the course. I would even bet him that he couldn't make that putt that he just finished sweeping away. We do that all the time when scores aren't going to be entered anyway. Especially when we are being held up. If someone misses a long eagle putt, we all throw in a couple of bucks and take turns to see who can make it first.

It's only a game. Sure rules are involved, but you don't explain them AFTER the game is over

He can do whatever he wants but the thread really comes down to what he said to his playing partner post round and frankly the Title of the thread. My group knows how I play and my putting woes and if they want to comment after as we know each other quite well and rib me, then they can (and we'll have a good laugh). This was a stranger at the course that he accused of "Cheating" for all intents and purposes.

Well .... he did cheat ... didn’t he ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well .... he did cheat ... didn't he ?

Only if he claimed he was playing by the USGA's rules.

Who was cheated?

The rules. IF the rules were being used. The op leads me to believe he thought they were. If not then play on. Play th hole backwards for al I care. But if you play golf. There are a set of rules for that particular game.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The rules are not a person and can not be a victim.

If the fellow did not unduly damage the course, delay play or interfere with the other player going about his round there was no harm, no vicitim, no cheating.

The original poster is perhaps a victim of his own nasty, sour attitude. But that has zero to do with the Rules of Golf or with the random guy he got paired up with, it is totally self-inflicted.

P.S. I'm waiting for OP to post a diatribe about some stupid Captain's Choice game he encountered and how he got yelled at for following them around trying to point out they were cheating on every damned shot!

Many of the people I play with don't keep score. They'll keep track of the good holes. Like, How did you play? "I had 4 pars and a birdie. We won't talk about the rest." They'll put out the pars and birdies.

Some of my best golf buddies take this attitude and I really like playing with them. They get a real kick out of a few more pars than normal, an occasional birdie or two, and not too many bogies. If they blow up on a hole or two, no sweat, it was still a "good round", because it was a good round. Formal score is largely irrelevant and it's a pretty healthy outlook on the game for a non-competitive golfer.

I've got a few other buddies that when we play, it's always more formal (though we never compete against each other for money or otherwise). Play by the book as much as possible, playing provisionals when we think we need to. The only thing we never do is go back to the tee box because we later discovered our ball went OB. Stupid rule, pisses off too many golfers behind you.

One thing I hate is the phrase "yeah, but that's not golf". Pfffft.

Many of the people I play with don't keep score. They'll keep track of the good holes. Like, How did you play? "I had 4 pars and a birdie. We won't talk about the rest." They'll put out the pars and birdies.

Some of my best golf buddies take this attitude and I really like playing with them. They get a real kick out of a few more pars than normal, an occasional birdie or two, and not too many bogies. If they blow up on a hole or two, no sweat, it was still a "good round", because it was a good round. Formal score is largely irrelevant and it's a pretty healthy outlook on the game for a non-competitive golfer.

I've got a few other buddies that when we play, it's always more formal (though we never compete against each other for money or otherwise). Play by the book as much as possible, playing provisionals when we think we need to. The only thing we never do is go back to the tee box because we later discovered our ball went OB. Stupid rule, pisses off too many golfers behind you.

Maybe it's from years of playing in "points" games but I'm perfectly honest about the fact I tend to lose interest once I've failed to at least make double-bogey. The appeal of "saving my triple" by holing a tricky 5-footer is completely lost on me, I'm afraid.

If you show me a hole that I can reach with two good shots, then my goal is to get the ball in the cup in as few strokes as possible. Once I've hit it five or six times, that hole is an abject failure. A seven is no better than a seventeen, either way I blew it. Stroke play is a fine game for separating out which good player is the best on any given day. It's a tedious waste of a nice round for a 19-handicapper having a bad day.

Maybe it's from years of playing in "points" games but I'm perfectly honest about the fact I tend to lose interest once I've failed to at least make double-bogey. The appeal of "saving my triple" by holing a tricky 5-footer is completely lost on me, I'm afraid.

If you show me a hole that I can reach with two good shots, then my goal is to get the ball in the cup in as few strokes as possible. Once I've hit it five or six times, that hole is an abject failure. A seven is no better than a seventeen, either way I blew it. Stroke play is a fine game for separating out which good player is the best on any given day. It's a tedious waste of a nice round for a 19-handicapper having a bad day.

Hence Stableford! Not near as tedious nor near as punishing. Once you've passed net double bogey, go tend the flagstick for your fellow-competitors. Enjoy!

Hence Stableford! Not near as tedious nor near as punishing. Once you've passed net double bogey, go tend the flagstick for your fellow-competitors. Enjoy!

Well said.

One point worth noting is that the OP opened with "I couldn't care either way", and ended with describing how much it bugged him.

He claimed that it was a calm discussion, but the 'call it whatever you want' comment seems like it was pretty sarcastic. The tone may not have been that way at all, but the OP mentioned that the guy probably felt that it was.

I play a lot of rounds where this scenario has played out exactly as described, but I don't recall ever saying anything other than "no problem, we weren't in a tournament". And then adding that if we had been playing for post round drinks, it would be different.

If I were bothered by someones behavior, I would bring it up on the course. I would even bet him that he couldn't make that putt that he just finished sweeping away. We do that all the time when scores aren't going to be entered anyway. Especially when we are being held up. If someone misses a long eagle putt, we all throw in a couple of bucks and take turns to see who can make it first.

It's only a game. Sure rules are involved, but you don't explain them AFTER the game is over

You're obviously looking to hang me and that's fine....it's the internet but let's not misconstrue and bluntly misunderstand my premise. You may keep score or you may not keep score and I don't care which. Purposely keeping an inaccurate score is my beef. As for how you would have handled it, cool story bro. Start a thread.

"I'm sure some of you will call me uptight but perhaps a couple of you might agree".

This was the last statement of your original post.

What is the purpose of THIS thread? Did you only want to hear from the couple who would agree with you?

I do agree with you in that he did not beat you. You indicated that he was a new member that joined you and your regulars. Was he just playing with you, or was he in fact playing against you? If it was the latter, I misunderstood the situation, and I apologize for ruffling your feathers.

You're obviously looking to hang me and that's fine....it's the internet but let's not misconstrue and bluntly misunderstand my premise. You may keep score or you may not keep score and I don't care which. Purposely keeping an inaccurate score is my beef. As for how you would have handled it, cool story bro. Start a thread.

Another one who won't be in my foursome........ :taunt: Yes and many of you don't want to play with me on this site......

Today is the perfect example of who I want/like to play with. Great interesting guy, who happened to be the same ability of me (he told me his HC, he didn't ask for mine as part of the conversation, not for any specific reason). He birdied one and wondered if he really was that HC. He too birdied 5 and we weren't playing against each other. I gave him a 3'er, using my line "I can't let you 3 putt for a double"..... He was happy. Next hole he had a 4' for an up and down par and didn't tell him it was in and he just came up short. We supported each other all round and wanted each to play well. Each of us had a few miscues that cost us really really good rounds (though mine was my best in the last 20 and dropped my HC half a shot!!!!).

Golf is meant to be fun and the OP strikes me as someone who from this thread I'd be on pins and needles playing with and certainly post round better not talk about score if I backhanded a putt, replayed a chip or hit an extra shot to see what I did wrong.......

I admit that I don't grok the "I just play for fun - don't really care about rules" thing while still keeping score. I just don't believe it. If the score truly didn't matter, you wouldn't keep it. In my mind, when I hear that, I think "you just don't like making a higher number". I don't say anything aloud because a) I just don't care that much about you, and b) it's very Minnesotan to not say what you're thinking.

Golf is about score. It's what has most of us obsessed -- that number that we are chasing. I love good shots as much as anybody, but there's no way I'm happy with two glorious shots and three putts for par or bogey, because in that particular case, that score sucked.

The fundamental reason I play by the rules in all cases is that, if and when I finally achieve the magic number I've been chasing, it will be more meaningful to me. And it's just easier: play the ball down. It's just a lie. Finish the hole. The sound of a holed putt is a fine thing, and you get to celebrate that finality 18 times.

I admit that I don't grok the "I just play for fun - don't really care about rules" thing while still keeping score. I just don't believe it. If the score truly didn't matter, you wouldn't keep it. In my mind, when I hear that, I think "you just don't like making a higher number". I don't say anything aloud because a) I just don't care that much about you, and b) it's very Minnesotan to not say what you're thinking.

Golf is about score. It's what has most of us obsessed -- that number that we are chasing. I love good shots as much as anybody, but there's no way I'm happy with two glorious shots and three putts for par or bogey, because in that particular case, that score sucked.

The fundamental reason I play by the rules in all cases is that, if and when I finally achieve the magic number I've been chasing, it will be more meaningful to me. And it's just easier: play the ball down. It's just a lie. Finish the hole. The sound of a holed putt is a fine thing, and you get to celebrate that finality 18 times.

I get it..... Do anything that does not follow the ROG (Rules of Golf) and you are a Cheater...... You have thew rules behind you and thus 95% of all golfers I have played with are Cheaters......