2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Look, Either Keep Score or Don't...

I admit that I don't grok the "I just play for fun - don't really care about rules" thing while still keeping score. I just don't believe it. If the score truly didn't matter, you wouldn't keep it. In my mind, when I hear that, I think "you just don't like making a higher number". I don't say anything aloud because a) I just don't care that much about you, and b) it's very Minnesotan to not say what you're thinking.

Golf is about score. It's what has most of us obsessed -- that number that we are chasing. I love good shots as much as anybody, but there's no way I'm happy with two glorious shots and three putts for par or bogey, because in that particular case, that score sucked.

The fundamental reason I play by the rules in all cases is that, if and when I finally achieve the magic number I've been chasing, it will be more meaningful to me. And it's just easier: play the ball down. It's just a lie. Finish the hole. The sound of a holed putt is a fine thing, and you get to celebrate that finality 18 times.

I get it..... Do anything that does not follow the ROG (Rules of Golf) and you are a Cheater...... You have thew rules behind you and thus 95% of all golfers I have played with are Cheaters......

Now I have to admit to being mystified as to where that response comes from.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit that I don't grok the "I just play for fun - don't really care about rules" thing while still keeping score. I just don't believe it. If the score truly didn't matter, you wouldn't keep it. In my mind, when I hear that, I think "you just don't like making a higher number". I don't say anything aloud because a) I just don't care that much about you, and b) it's very Minnesotan to not say what you're thinking.

Golf is about score. It's what has most of us obsessed -- that number that we are chasing. I love good shots as much as anybody, but there's no way I'm happy with two glorious shots and three putts for par or bogey, because in that particular case, that score sucked.

The fundamental reason I play by the rules in all cases is that, if and when I finally achieve the magic number I've been chasing, it will be more meaningful to me. And it's just easier: play the ball down. It's just a lie. Finish the hole. The sound of a holed putt is a fine thing, and you get to celebrate that finality 18 times.

I get it..... Do anything that does not follow the ROG (Rules of Golf) and you are a Cheater...... You have thew rules behind you and thus 95% of all golfers I have played with are Cheaters......

What you said is that if someone doesn't play it down, then to you that score doesn't count (and to use your words, it's a lie). So when my partner or I knock a ball back, pick it up or jokingly hockey stick it in we are cheating.

I get it, I don't play by the rules.......

What you said is that if someone doesn't play it down, then to you that score doesn't count (and to use your words, it's a lie). So when my partner or I knock a ball back, pick it up or jokingly hockey stick it in we are cheating.

I have a feeling you terribly misunderstood the word "lie" in the last paragraph of finley's post - or are just acting stupid to pick an argument.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I have a feeling you terribly misunderstood the word "lie" in the last paragraph of finley's post - or are just acting stupid to pick an argument.

Of course, playing the ball "down" (no fiddling the lie of the ball) will eventually improve the player's ability and his scores.

Hah! Now I get it.

Sorry to be imprecise. I was making the point (badly) that it's not hard to play golf by the rules. Just play it down and in, and most of the time you don't need a rule book.

Reaching your number will be more satisfying, imo.

I have been playing golf for over 50 years. I see this sort of thing all the time and really don't pay any attention to it. The only time I would even say anything to someone who does that sort of thing would be after the round if we were sitting around and he started bragging about beating me or someone in the group. Otherwise, who really cares. If he plays at the same club a lot, his reputation for a vanity handicapper will become known pretty quickly. To me, it is not really any different than someone who rolls the ball in the fairway or rough instead of playing it down. A few years ago, I played a lot of golf at a club where I think over half the members in the MGA would say they were 7 handicappers. Never seen so many 7 handicappers at one club in all my life. Then I played with a bunch of them and found out they played in a lot of skins games where if you were out of the hole, you just took a bogey and picked it up. Over half of those supposedly 7 handicappers could break 80 in a stroke play tournament where you had to play the ball out and play it down.

I have been playing golf for over 50 years. I see this sort of thing all the time and really don't pay any attention to it. The only time I would even say anything to someone who does that sort of thing would be after the round if we were sitting around and he started bragging about beating me or someone in the group. Otherwise, who really cares. If he plays at the same club a lot, his reputation for a vanity handicapper will become known pretty quickly. To me, it is not really any different than someone who rolls the ball in the fairway or rough instead of playing it down. A few years ago, I played a lot of golf at a club where I think over half the members in the MGA would say they were 7 handicappers. Never seen so many 7 handicappers at one club in all my life. Then I played with a bunch of them and found out they played in a lot of skins games where if you were out of the hole, you just took a bogey and picked it up. Over half of those supposedly 7 handicappers could NOT break 80 in a stroke play tournament where you had to play the ball out and play it down.

Is that what you meant?

You're only a cheater if you claim to be , or attest to playing by the rules of golf.

If you just go out and play for fun and never post...I would not consider these guys cheaters any more than people who travel in pickup basketball games or play in softball leagues with no strikeouts

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I understand the OP's frustration, but I think the reaction is a little strong. It's one thing if the guy is claiming an 83 and shot 90, but if we're talking two raked putts it's probably not something I'd call him out for, especially if it's my first time playing with him, and if he's not droning on about it and claiming he "beat" people. If he is, then it's probably fair to rib him about the raked putts, but if he's not being competitive and it doesn't matter, I'd just let it go.

I understand the OP's frustration, but I think the reaction is a little strong. It's one thing if the guy is claiming an 83 and shot 90, but if we're talking two raked putts it's probably not something I'd call him out for, especially if it's my first time playing with him, and if he's not droning on about it and claiming he "beat" people. If he is, then it's probably fair to rib him about the raked putts, but if he's not being competitive and it doesn't matter, I'd just let it go.

You see that's the difference, I don't at all understand the frustration or how he reacted and the need to start a thread thread and explain that for all intents and purposes this guy cheated and posted a dubious score......

Today I played with a very good golfer who generally plays in another group and money games too.... He joined us as the first tee off of the day as he was off to watch the World Cup at his BIL's (Croatian Descent). He played really well and shot 73. Checked his HC and his second best in his last 20. Had 3-4 birdies including a beauty on 18. I know there was a raked putt after missing a short one or two or within 3-4' on a few holes...... I wouldn't question his score at all and was a pleasure to play with.

I do have a Rulie as a friend (about a 20 HC) who was a lot more fun to play with when he'd hit 2-3 balls and didn't walk back to the tee when a ball was lost in plain site (i.e. just off the fairway in short rough)......

I think the bigger point here is this: if you don't follow the rules (i.e. rake in short putts, don't drop properly, ignore OB, take mulligans, etc) no one really cares, just don't walk around bragging you shot 78 when you went OB on two holes and took free drops, raked in a handful of short putts, and took a mulligan on each side. Because you didn't really shoot 78, it was more like 88.

That's it for me. I don't care if people pick up putts, take mulligans, whatever they want to do as long as they're not slowing us down or getting in someone's way. But don't walk into the clubhouse afterward and say "looks like I got you by 2 today!" That is when I say something, hopefully in front of as many people as I can.

I think the bigger point here is this: if you don't follow the rules (i.e. rake in short putts, don't drop properly, ignore OB, take mulligans, etc) no one really cares, just don't walk around bragging you shot 78 when you went OB on two holes and took free drops, raked in a handful of short putts, and took a mulligan on each side. Because you didn't really shoot 78, it was more like 88.

That's it for me. I don't care if people pick up putts, take mulligans, whatever they want to do as long as they're not slowing us down or getting in someone's way. But don't walk into the clubhouse afterward and say "looks like I got you by 2 today!" That is when I say something, hopefully in front of as many people as I can.

I hope you are exaggerating. Publicly engaging someone like that makes you look just as pathetic as the guy you’re trying to shame.

He is TRYING to get you to validate his weak-a** excuse for a golf game. You arguing over his score serves his needs just as well as agreeing with him.

If you get down in the mud to wrassle with a pig, he comes out still looking like a pig but you look like one too.

You may keep score or you may not keep score and I don't care which. Purposely keeping an inaccurate score is my beef.

Just curious. Do you have a beef with your actions? I'm asking because you offered to keep his score and then recorded scores on those holes he did not complete. From the sounds of it of it you didn't attempt to ask him what he was taking on those holes. Could you have just written in a big X on those 2 holes and let him fill in the blanks for himself (ie. I had you at 73 but didn't know what to score you on Hole 1 and Z)? Why not just find out what his handicap was and then figure what he should post for a hole he did not play under the rules of golf? That way you could force him to play by your rules rather than his.

From the sounds of it you were waiting to put him on notice since that very first hole. Correct?

You see that's the difference, I don't at all understand the frustration or how he reacted and the need to start a thread thread and explain that for all intents and purposes this guy cheated and posted a dubious score......

Today I played with a very good golfer who generally plays in another group and money games too.... He joined us as the first tee off of the day as he was off to watch the World Cup at his BIL's (Croatian Descent). He played really well and shot 73. Checked his HC and his second best in his last 20. Had 3-4 birdies including a beauty on 18. I know there was a raked putt after missing a short one or two or within 3-4' on a few holes...... I wouldn't question his score at all and was a pleasure to play with.

I do have a Rulie as a friend (about a 20 HC) who was a lot more fun to play with when he'd hit 2-3 balls and didn't walk back to the tee when a ball was lost in plain site (i.e. just off the fairway in short rough)......

I'm guessing you added the 20 handicap in parenthesis as a slight to him?

This is too funny. Let's make sure I am understanding this correctly: You don't play the ball down or putt out 3 footers. When doing this you also post these scores to your handicap. Your current "index" is a 13.2. Yet you take a dig at your "Rulie" friend's 20 HC (which is actually legit, while your HC is total vanity). Amazing.

You may keep score or you may not keep score and I don't care which. Purposely keeping an inaccurate score is my beef.

Just curious. Do you have a beef with your actions? I'm asking because you offered to keep his score and then recorded scores on those holes he did not complete. From the sounds of it of it you didn't attempt to ask him what he was taking on those holes. Could you have just written in a big X on those 2 holes and let him fill in the blanks for himself (ie. I had you at 73 but didn't know what to score you on Hole 1 and Z)? Why not just find out what his handicap was and then figure what he should post for a hole he did not play under the rules of golf? That way you could force him to play by your rules rather than his.

From the sounds of it you were waiting to put him on notice since that very first hole. Correct?

Yes, he thinks he gets to dictate how some random stranger plays golf. Because “rules”, you know.

Again can't argue with a rulie....... And yes it is derogatory.

I do think until you are a single HC you should be lax with rules as watching a 20+HC playing by the rules, go back to the tee to hit again, trying to hit out of fescue that Dustin Johnson can barely advance the ball, or take 3 shots out of the bunker, then skull over the green and then start over again is just no fun for anyone.

I have access to a amateur site that has has flighted tournaments and to see holes where people shoot 11+ and are still grinding it out just is anethema to me.

Yesterday another 12 HC on our short 310 yard hole hit it in the fescue, then hit a tree and bounced back in the fescue 15 yards further. Chopped it still in the fescue and then a hosel 45 degrees into the trees. He asked me to pick up his ball as he had no need to play out the hole for a 8-11 (I can only imagine if it was a 420 yard hole). I felt bad for him (btw he had 2 birdies and strong back nine, though another blowup hole).

Now the rulie playing it down would still be grinding......

Could you have just written in a big X on those 2 holes and let him fill in the blanks for himself (ie. I had you at 73 but didn't know what to score you on Hole 1 and Z)? Why not just find out what his handicap was and then figure what he should post for a hole he did not play under the rules of golf? That way you could force him to play by your rules rather than his.

Actually, it would be most likely score for the holes not completed. But your point is still valid...he would ask the guy if he's keeping a handicap, and if the answer is 'yes' (absolutely no indication has been given by the OP that this is the case), ask him what he thinks he most likely would have gotten on the hole.

I do think until you are a single HC you should be lax with rules as watching a 20+HC playing by the rules, go back to the tee to hit again, trying to hit out of fescue that Dustin Johnson can barely advance the ball, or take 3 shots out of the bunker, then skull over the green and then start over again is just no fun for anyone.

I have access to a amateur site that has has flighted tournaments and to see holes where people shoot 11+ and are still grinding it out just is anethema to me.

Yesterday another 12 HC on our short 310 yard hole hit it in the fescue, then hit a tree and bounced back in the fescue 15 yards further. Chopped it still in the fescue and then a hosel 45 degrees into the trees. He asked me to pick up his ball as he had no need to play out the hole for a 8-11 (I can only imagine if it was a 420 yard hole). I felt bad for him (btw he had 2 birdies and strong back nine, though another blowup hole).

So let's get this straight - Guy with a complete vanity index of 13.2 that fluffs his lies and rakes short but miss-able putts makes fun of a 20 HC that got that handicap by playing by the rules. I'd be willing to bet money that in reality this guy is actually a better golfer than you, but you make fun of his handicap. But you live in la la land and are a "13 HC" that doesn't even play it as it lies, take correct penalties or putt out. Amazing.

So in summary: You don't even follow the most basic rules of golf and still keep score, but you also take a step further and post these scores and maintain a handicap. But WAIT, there's more! You then even go so far as to make fun of those who have a higher handicap than you. Man you're delusional.

So let's get this straight - Guy with a complete vanity index of 13.2 that fluffs his lies and rakes short but miss-able putts makes fun of a 20 HC that got that handicap by playing by the rules. I'd be willing to bet money that in reality this guy is actually a better golfer than you, but you make fun of his handicap. But you live in la la land and are a "13 HC" that doesn't even play it as it lies, take correct penalties or putt out. Amazing.

So in summary: You don't even follow the most basic rules of golf and still keep score, but you also take a step further and post these scores and maintain a handicap. But WAIT, there's more! You then even go so far as to make fun of those who have a higher handicap than you. Man you're delusional.

Because you know me so well????? Typical internet tough guy. Yup my HC (below 13.2 now) is a complete fabrication and I actually don't play the game at all and am a troll....

Oh and the 95% who all cheat when they play with me except my "rulie" friend, who I dearly love but is not a lot of fun to play with anymore because of his habit of playing it down and citing rules.

Must admit I get very agitated nowadays playing with him and him playing like it is Sunday in contention on the PGA. He actually refers to when he played these flighted tournaments as "Playing on Tour".

Because you know me so well????? Typical internet tough guy. Yup my HC (below 13.2 now) is a complete fabrication and I actually don't play the game at all and am a troll....

Oh and the 95% who all cheat when they play with me except my "rulie" friend, who I dearly love but is not a lot of fun to play with anymore because of his habit of playing it down and citing rules.

Honest question - for the scores that you posted to get your 13.2 (or now lower) index, did you play the ball down?

Honest question - for the scores that you posted to get your 13.2 (or now lower) index, did you play the ball down?

No one I know or play with, except the Rulie or in a Tournament setting, all of whom post scores Plays it Down. I played the match play and we conceded holes and gave putts. Both of us posted scores.....

I told you the examples from Sunday..... One posted a 73 and both other golfers had at least one hole where they picked up their balls as they had enough of the hole (yes I know there is escape), but the rulie will play all 11+ shots. He told me the story where he 4 balls into the hazard and he and his partners searched for the full 5 minutes and eventually as the clock expired found his first one. He too said his partners were none to happy.

If I'm such a vanity capper, how did I qualify for the match play and then when I play shot below my cap?

Yep Cheaters......

If I'm such a vanity capper, how did I qualify for the match play and then when I play shot below my cap?

Yep Cheaters......

Because in match play you can concede putts and not even finish holes - especially if your opponent has a bad run - you could pick up par after par, not hard. So totally your comfort zone. And a couple of rounds do not a season make.

BTW - I think Finley is still owed at least a contrite nod to your totally OTT responses to his early post (about how a ball lies, yes sits on the ground), due to your lack of reading comprehension, contempt for the rules of the game, and/or plain 'ol good sense to understand his post correctly.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yep Cheaters......

Because in match play you can concede putts and not even finish holes - especially if your opponent has a bad run - you could pick up par after par, not hard. So totally your comfort zone. And a couple of rounds do not a season make.

BTW - I think Finley is still owed at least a contrite nod to your totally OTT responses to his early post (about how a ball lies, yes sits on the ground), due to your lack of reading comprehension, contempt for the rules of the game, and/or plain 'ol good sense to understand his post correctly.

Who is Finley?

And knew these responses will come...... Always do. I played the qualifying and the match play to see how I'd play. Played okay and will see if I want to do it again.

And please read carefully & simply answer me this as I am curious.....

What % of players who have a HC and post their scores play by every rule in posting those scores?

Let's go further......

What % are Vanity Cappers and conversely Sandbaggers?

I think there's a threshold, probably right around 10 handicap, where it becomes pretty easy to play by the rules. I certainly try to play by the rules, but if I'm playing in some event that allows other rules, like rolling the ball, I'm going to take advantage of those rules as necessary because it impacts me economically. But I'm not going to post those scores, also for economic purposes (and its against the rules).

Who is Finley?

Finleysg, the person you claimed to have said something that wasn't said at all, check your own reply.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Who is Finley?

Finleysg, the person you claimed to have said something that wasn't said at all, check your own reply.

You're right I don't pay close attention to everyone's name, every response.... My reading comprehension is fine. Unless I play it down, play by every rule as per the ROG and count every stroke then my scores are a figment of my imagination and I am a cheater.

But that's fine, I'm perfectly okay with that as I am having fun and counting as I want to.

It is what it is.....