2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Look, Either Keep Score or Don't...

I feel like we have gotten way down in the weeds and I also may have not been the best at conveying my POV. It really comes down to the situation that was described in the OP. The guy raked his own 5 footer and gave it to himself. His group did not say it was good. IMO if you are going to do this, you might as well not keep score (I realize the situation was a little bit more complex as OP offered to keep score for the guy, but more as a hypothetical). The vast majority of golfers play for fun. Golf is hard. Making doubles and triples and not breaking 100 isn't that fun for most. So IMO they play it up, don't take correct penalties, give generous putts, etc. so that they generate a "score" that is more fun for them. I'm not trying to denigrate anyone or anything this is just the way I see it.

A guy whose preferred version of the game can still shoot a range of scores even if they are scores in a game which allows every 5-footer to be "raked". I've played rounds where I'd have shot 95 without missing anything inside six feet and other rounds that would have been 75.

He was keeping score in a game that counts every 5-footer as a made putt. That was one game, you play a different game.

There is medal play, match play, best-ball games, scrambles...and there is this guy's game with the raked 5-footers. His just doesn't happen to be the same as yours and it isn't written in some ridiculously baroque USGA Rules of Golf publication. Hope it gives you a nice, warm feeling inside to rain on that guy's parade. I doubt he is bothered by your version of the game nearly as much as you seem to be bothered by his.

As I've said repeatedly, almost nobody I know plays more than once in a blue moon under a strictly interpreted US Open worthy observance of every single picky little Rule in that book. This whole thread is about people who ignore only certain aspects of the official Rules sometimes vs those who ignore more of the Rules all the time. The former just get off in pretending they are superior to the latter.

It's ironic that you say that in a sub-forum dedicated to the rules of golf. Sheesh. If you don't care to play by them, why post here? It's like a vegan posting on a BBQ site.

You can't control what gets moved or posted in the rules forum. This isn't a question about what rules are, if it was Sawgrass wouldve solved it within the first 5 posts.

This is a thread about someone being upset that someone else doesn't follow the rules in a non-competitive round where it's unclear if the round was even being posted or the guy even carries a handicap.

Are you suggesting that the only posters allowed to respond should be those that think no one should be allowed to play unless they are following USGA rules?

I think it’s poor form to post on a rules forum a statement that effectively says “following every single picky rule” is for losers and that no one he knows does that.

I think this forum is to debate what the rules are and whether the rules are fair and should be changed by the ruling bodies (and I think many of them should.). It’s not a place where people should go to state that they don’t think rules should be followed broadly.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like we have gotten way down in the weeds and I also may have not been the best at conveying my POV. It really comes down to the situation that was described in the OP. The guy raked his own 5 footer and gave it to himself. His group did not say it was good. IMO if you are going to do this, you might as well not keep score (I realize the situation was a little bit more complex as OP offered to keep score for the guy, but more as a hypothetical). The vast majority of golfers play for fun. Golf is hard. Making doubles and triples and not breaking 100 isn't that fun for most. So IMO they play it up, don't take correct penalties, give generous putts, etc. so that they generate a "score" that is more fun for them. I'm not trying to denigrate anyone or anything this is just the way I see it.

A guy whose preferred version of the game can still shoot a range of scores even if they are scores in a game which allows every 5-footer to be "raked". I've played rounds where I'd have shot 95 without missing anything inside six feet and other rounds that would have been 75.

He was keeping score in a game that counts every 5-footer as a made putt. That was one game, you play a different game.

There is medal play, match play, best-ball games, scrambles...and there is this guy's game with the raked 5-footers. His just doesn't happen to be the same as yours and it isn't written in some ridiculously baroque USGA Rules of Golf publication. Hope it gives you a nice, warm feeling inside to rain on that guy's parade. I doubt he is bothered by your version of the game nearly as much as you seem to be bothered by his.

As I've said repeatedly, almost nobody I know plays more than once in a blue moon under a strictly interpreted US Open worthy observance of every single picky little Rule in that book. This whole thread is about people who ignore only certain aspects of the official Rules sometimes vs those who ignore more of the Rules all the time. The former just get off in pretending they are superior to the latter.

It's ironic that you say that in a sub-forum dedicated to the rules of golf. Sheesh. If you don't care to play by them, why post here? It's like a vegan posting on a BBQ site.

You can't control what gets moved or posted in the rules forum. This isn't a question about what rules are, if it was Sawgrass wouldve solved it within the first 5 posts.

This is a thread about someone being upset that someone else doesn't follow the rules in a non-competitive round where it's unclear if the round was even being posted or the guy even carries a handicap.

Are you suggesting that the only posters allowed to respond should be those that think no one should be allowed to play unless they are following USGA rules?

I think it’s poor form to post on a rules forum a statement that effectively says “following every single picky rule” is for losers and that no one he knows does that.

I think this forum is to debate what the rules are and whether the rules are fair and should be changed by the ruling bodies (and I think many of them should.). It’s not a place where people should go to state that they don’t think rules should be followed broadly.

But this thread is not about what the rules are. The OP's question revolved around whether or not the rules should be followed broadly by everyone. You're essentially asking people who think the answer is no or not always, to simply not respond.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't understand why the OP would get upset even if the guy had carded all 3s and claimed to shoot a 54 when he obviously shot an 85. What does it matter to him, or to anyone? I don't get it. WRXers love to get all worked up about things other people do that in no way affect them.

Interesting. Not sure what I've typed that would cause you to believe that I have been "all worked up" over any of this. The incident I described wasn't a big deal nor has this thread been anything to get worked up over. Some people think I was a di_k and I've acknowledged that they may be right.

Absolutes never serve the argument well as circumstances mitigate and add context to the notion of following rules. Counting the number of times your clubs struck the ball though, really isn't a consideration of following the rules....it's just recording actual events.

I don't understand why the OP would get upset even if the guy had carded all 3s and claimed to shoot a 54 when he obviously shot an 85. What does it matter to him, or to anyone? I don't get it. WRXers love to get all worked up about things other people do that in no way affect them.

Interesting. Not sure what I've typed that would cause you to believe that I have been "all worked up" over any of this. The incident I described wasn't a big deal nor has this thread been anything to get worked up over. Some people think I was a di_k and I've acknowledged that they may be right.

Absolutes never serve the argument well as circumstances mitigate and add context to the notion of following rules. Counting the number of times your clubs struck the ball though, really isn't a consideration of following the rules....it's just recording actual events.

And if I'm playing with you and didn't 'record actual events' accurately, why should you care? I can't even count the number of times that I have played with strangers who take mulligans, gimmes, free drops, and fluffed lies, and claim they shot an 80 after the round and I just say 'nice round', and don't give it a second thought. Not even an issue. Doesn't affect me in the least.

And if I'm playing with you and didn't 'record actual events' accurately, why should you care? I can't even count the number of times that I have played with strangers who take mulligans, gimmes, free drops, and fluffed lies, and claim they shot an 80 after the round and I just say 'nice round', and don't give it a second thought. Not even an issue. Doesn't affect me in the least.

In fairness though Thug, not everyone is wired to think that way. While to you ( and many others) it's no big deal, to some it truly violates something they believe strongly in. Almost a "sense of fair play" type thing. Some actually take it almost personally while others don't care a bit.

It really is bothersome thing to some people.

Ditto and ditto to Thug’s previous reply.

How hard is it, really, to just say, “Nice round”?

How can people get so emotionally invested in what a stranger claims to shoot, with absolutely nothing on the line, that they’d call him out on it?

I certainly can’t make sense of it. Tell me you shot 54. I don’t care. I’ll say, “Nice round. Might be the course record”.

Focus on stuff that actually matters. It makes life a lot easier.

In fairness though Thug, not everyone is wired to think that way. While to you ( and many others) it's no big deal, to some it truly violates something they believe strongly in. Almost a "sense of fair play" type thing. Some actually take it almost personally while others don't care a bit.

I hear you dss, but why take something personally when it doesn't even concern you? Is it one person's task to police the entire golf course and make sure everyone is counting their drops and playing the ball down? If someone tells me they make $200K per yr and run the government while they live in a trailer I would just say 'wow, cool'. No need to call people out over silly stuff.

I hear you dss, but why take something personally when it doesn't even concern you? Is it one person's task to police the entire golf course and make sure everyone is counting their drops and playing the ball down? If someone tells me they make $200K per yr and run the government while they live in a trailer I would just say 'wow, cool'. No need to call people out over silly stuff.

A great question Thug. And one without an answer (or at least needing somebody smarter than me to provide it).

I speak from experience. My wife takes almost everything personally. I've told her that countless times. And she acknowledges it. Doesn't change what happens the next time though. Just peoples's personalities I guess.

I don't care either way but at the end of the day, if you haven't kept your score, don't discuss your score.

My two buddies and I play the ball down, we play by the rules, we putt everything out. That's how we've always played and from my perspective, it's the only way to properly play the game. Now yesterday we were joined by a new club member. Nice guy, early 60s has a nice swing and a pleasant fellow to play with. I asked him if he'd like me to also keep his score and he said sure.

On the very first hole, he became frustrated and swept away a 5 footer that was for bogey. Nobody conceded the putt and nobody would have...it was a curler. So I really had no choice but to mark down a bogey 5 and move on which we did. On another occasion, he did the very same thing.

At the end of the day over beers I totaled the card. Dude was pleased with his 83 total.

This is the is-it-me? part of my post. I could have let it go but that stuff has always irked me, esp, when a tainted score bests another players score that's correct (No, he didn't best my score) so I said, "yeah, but you did sweep away a couple of 5 footers out there."

"Well call it an 85 then" he said. I replied, "You call it whatever you'd like to call it."

...and that was that. It wasn't angry or heated and I look forward to playing with him again but I did want to put him on notice. I'm guessing that he may think I'm a D_CK for saying something but I just can't tolerate the alternative of saying nothing and just accepting that kind of thing. I've seen it many times in the past and it's bs.

I'm sure some of you will call me uptight but perhaps a couple of you might agree.

You had no choice?

Sure you did. You were the one keeping score, and by posting an inaccurate score YOU were breaking the rules.

And it's what really gets me about you rules sticklers, and nit-picking over strokes like you're playing the Masters or something, that you might enjoy your round and the game - it is JUST A GAME after all, it's not like your livelihood depends on it - a little more if you were so anal and OCD about every little thing.

It's like a guy I play with occasionally, he finds every little thing as reason to get relief from every bad lie he encounters. And since we're usually playing casual rounds I could really care less. Now if he pulled it during a tournament round I'd call him on it, but it's not so I'm not going to lose any sweat off my brow over it.

A great question Thug. And one without an answer (or at least needing somebody smarter than me to provide it).

I speak from experience. My wife takes almost everything personally. I've told her that countless times. And she acknowledges it. Doesn't change what happens the next time though. Just peoples's personalities I guess.

Don't sell yourself short dss. You are one of the more articulate and insightful WRXers, so that BS doesn't sell. For example, just your last few posts have shown me (us) that maybe this issue (of caring about stuff that is not your concern) is not an absolute, but a personality trait.

I've explained numerous times that I have played with the fellow before and I will play with him again. Still, folks come with the what-do-I-care-about-a-complete-stranger angle. So continue to hang me if you must, once again, this is the internet but at least do me the favor of reading what I type.

Does he always play that way?

Do you think you are going to shame him into playing differently?

Or do you just like to annoy him for the heck of it?

I've explained numerous times that I have played with the fellow before and I will play with him again. Still, folks come with the what-do-I-care-about-a-complete-stranger angle. So continue to hang me if you must, once again, this is the internet but at least do me the favor of reading what I type.

The other day I made a nice stroke on a birdie putt and the ball was breaking over the left edge and would have stopped 3' from the hole. I had made a very solid shot to the green and a good putt on a tricky pin placement. My partner knocked the ball back to me and I laughed and said "Thanks savings me from myself" to laughter from the group.

Terrible way to play the game.

The other day I made a nice stroke on a birdie putt and the ball was breaking over the left edge and would have stopped 3' from the hole. I had made a very solid shot to the green and a good putt on a tricky pin placement. My partner knocked the ball back to me and I laughed and said "Thanks savings me from myself" to laughter from the group.

Terrible way to play the game.

Honest question and not a judgement of any type.

Do you ever get an unfulfilled or unfinished feeling in that situation? I don't care for it when one of my partners kicks one back that is too far, or is going to be another difficult putt (unless it's a critical money putt). I always question in my mind the score then.

Again, not a judgement, just an observation about how I feel about it. I really don't mind gimmies, I'm just not a fan (for myself) when they get much over a foot or so.

People construct a game or scenario in their head, even if it's a fictitious one. And then once that's done they have to win it, and you have to know they won it, even if you didn't know or care you were playing

It's not much different than guys who pull up next to you at a light and tear off staring at you. In their head they beat you at a drag race.

It doesn't have to even be about score or results. It could be something as simple as "showing" someone you are morally superior.

Winning these little moments, even if they are invented, makes people feel good.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Do you ever get an unfulfilled or unfinished feeling in that situation? I don't care for it when one of my partners kicks one back that is too far, or is going to be another difficult putt (unless it's a critical money putt��). I always question in my mind the score then.

Again, not a judgement, just an observation about how I feel about it. I really don't mind gimmies, I'm just not a fan (for myself) when they get much over a foot or so.

Not at all. I look at the good and that was a difficult back pin lasered at 163, where I hit my 155 club pin high and made a good solid putt. I took the par as opposed to obsessing over a 3'er that could have ruined all the good thoughts prior.

Conversely when I hit that 20' putt 14-15' with a lousy stroke I know it is my job to clean it up.

Yes my own view of the game.

I tell people all the time (and they are welcome to tell me not to touch the ball that they want to putt out) "Not going to let you miss that putt and screw up a great hole" as I give them a 3'er.

Another in our group wants to putt some and others he's happy to be given or takes it away. No pressure either way.

People construct a game or scenario in their head, even if it's a fictitious one. And then once that's done they have to win it, and you have to know they won it, even if you didn't know or care you were playing

It's not much different than guys who pull up next to you at a light and tear off staring at you. In their head they beat you at a drag race.

It doesn't have to even be about score or results. It could be something as simple as "showing" someone you are morally superior.

Winning these little moments, even if they are invented, makes people feel good.

Ah MJ I believe you are spot on once again. You make Dr Phil look like a hack. This never occurred to me, as I have never 'played' someone in my head. Actually one buddy of mine always asks my score on each hole even though we move our balls all the time because we play muni dog tracks (and he takes mulligans) and I always wonder why.

Do you ever get an unfulfilled or unfinished feeling in that situation? I don't care for it when one of my partners kicks one back that is too far, or is going to be another difficult putt (unless it's a critical money putt��). I always question in my mind the score then.

Not at all. I look at the good and that was a difficult back pin lasered at 163, where I hit my 155 club pin high and made a good solid putt. I took the par as opposed to obsessing over a 3'er that could have ruined all the good thoughts prior.

Conversely when I hit that 20' putt 14-15' with a lousy stroke I know it is my job to clean it up.

Yes my own view of the game.

I tell people all the time (and they are welcome to tell me not to touch the ball that they want to putt out) "Not going to let you miss that putt and screw up a great hole" as I give them a 3'er.

Another in our group wants to putt some and others he's happy to be given or takes it away. No pressure either way.

I can certainly understand this mentality, however, wouldn't you feel even better about the hole if you did, in fact, make that 3 footer? Imagine the true sense of accomplishment and the boost of confidence.

I'm no psychologist, and I am in no way passing judgement, but its as if mentally you fear missing that 3 foot putt and would somehow consider that a failure, so you remove the potential to fail, thus creating a false sense of accomplishment.

Its almost like competing in a 10K race. You run the first 4 miles and then decide since you've already run that far that you'll just quit there, and not finish the last 2.2 miles, since there's some chance you won't reach the finish line. Then you tell your friends and family you completed a 10K.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

No psychoanalysis needed. Dude doesn't like to putt so he doesn't putt since he doesn't care about putting.

Some people spend all their free time hitting balls on a driving range for the same reason. It's what they feel they're good at and it's all they want to do.

Not everyone on a golf course or everyone with a golf club in his hand is actually playing golf.

No psychoanalysis needed. Dude doesn't like to putt so he doesn't putt since he doesn't care about putting.

Some people spend all their free time hitting balls on a driving range for the same reason. It's what they feel they're good at and it's all they want to do.

Not everyone on a golf course or everyone with a golf club in his hand is actually playing golf.

I get that. I didn't get a feeling that he didn't like to putt, I got the feeling he feared missing the putt, or that hitting a great approach shot somehow excused him from having to actually make the par putt.

Its just seems his explanation of hitting a great shot in close to 3 feet somehow earned him a par, and if he had missed the par putt it somehow made the great approach shot invalid. It seemed to me he feared missing the putt, so rather than put and miss (fail), he removes the chance to fail.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Couldn't help yourself? No one I play with plays golf then....... If I need to putt and concentrate sure I do it, I just am way more concerned over the other 549 yard holes (as opposed to the 1 yard to finish the hole).

Just the way I feel about it.

It's not actually playing golf if you drop a ball in the fairway because you don't want to hit a tee shot. Or if you pick up on the green because you don't want to putt. Of if you toss balls out of the bunker because you don't want to hit bunker shots.

And that's perfectly OK. Scrambles aren't actually playing golf yet millions of people love playing in them.

But as far as "can't help myself" I do feel compelled to make one observation...

If I need to putt and concentrate sure I do it, I just am way more concerned over the other 549 yard holes (as opposed to the 1 yard to finish the hole).

I'd have to say you seem more "concerned" over those 3-footers than most people I know. If you're willing to play the entire game from tee to green except for holing out short putts, that is a very deep level of "concern". You are treating that one, tiny bit of the game with special importance.

It's not actually playing golf if you drop a ball in the fairway because you don't want to hit a tee shot. Or if you pick up on the green because you don't want to putt. Of if you toss balls out of the bunker because you don't want to hit bunker shots.

And that's perfectly OK. Scrambles aren't actually playing golf yet millions of people love playing in them.

But as far as "can't help myself" I do feel compelled to make one observation...

If I need to putt and concentrate sure I do it, I just am way more concerned over the other 549 yard holes (as opposed to the 1 yard to finish the hole).

I'd have to say you seem more "concerned" over those 3-footers than most people I know. If you're willing to play the entire game from tee to green except for holing out short putts, that is a very deep level of "concern". You are treating that one, tiny bit of the game with special importance.

Just here I am as I may concentrate or I may not when putting them.

All's good as I have fun on the course (except when playing with that person marking 3'ers and slowing me down :taunt: .

All's good as I have fun on the course (except when playing with that person marking 3'ers and slowing me down :taunt: .

There's one of those guys in my club. One day he came zooming up behind our group, playing solo in a cart. Asked if he could play through because he had an appointment after his round. No problem.

It was a Par 3. He hit his tee shot to about 20 feet. Got on the green, pulled out his towel, carefully cleaned the ball, got up an did a 360 degree walkaround to read the putt, fiddled with his alignment line, took a couple practice strokes and finally hit it. The ball slid two feet past the hole and...you guessed it...he did the entire routine, towel and all, for that two-footer.

One of our guys yelled, "THAT ONES GOOD, PICK IT UP". He finished his routine, tapped it in and cheerfully flipped us off on his way back to the cart.

Hope he made it to his appointment in time!

P.S. A while back I was playing with one of the best players I know, I've learned a lot from playing with him over the years. I walked up and sort of swatted a 2-1/2 footer toward the hole and missed, then picked it up. He said, "Gee I hate to see you doing that". I asked what he meant and he said, "If you don't want to putt it, pick it up. No problem. But if you're going to putt it, try to make. You're not doing yourself any favors by practicing missing short putts".

I think he had a great point. So sometimes I'll pick 'em up, sometimes I'll go ahead and line it up and make it. But I try real hard not to do the walk up and swat thing. Nasty habit, that.

There's one of those guys in my club. One day he came zooming up behind our group, playing solo in a cart. Asked if he could play through because he had an appointment after his round. No problem.

It was a Par 3. He hit his tee shot to about 20 feet. Got on the green, pulled out his towel, carefully cleaned the ball, got up an did a 360 degree walkaround to read the putt, fiddled with his alignment line, took a couple practice strokes and finally hit it. The ball slid two feet past the hole and...you guessed it...he did the entire routine, towel and all, for that two-footer.

One of our guys yelled, "THAT ONES GOOD, PICK IT UP". He finished his routine, tapped it in and cheerfully flipped us off on his way back to the cart.

P.S. A while back I was playing with one of the best players I know, I've learned a lot from playing with him over the years. I walked up and sort of swatted a 2-1/2 footer toward the hole and missed, then picked it up. He said, "Gee I hate to see you doing that". I asked what he meant and he said, "If you don't want to putt it, pick it up. No problem. But if you're going to putt it, try to make. You're not doing yourself any favors by practicing missing short putts".

I think he had a great point. So sometimes I'll pick 'em up, sometimes I'll go ahead and line it up and make it. But I try real hard not to do the walk up and swat thing. Nasty habit, that.

Great idea. I think I'll do it. I'll also will work on short putts if I do have 3 minutes prior to a round too.

Great idea. I think I'll do it. I'll also will work on short putts if I do have 3 minutes prior to a round too.

I have been trying to follow that advice religiously the last 6-8 months and I think it has made a difference. I have my own issues from time to time inside 3 or 3-1/2 feet and it’s tempting to be thinking “just get this over with” and try to step up quickly and hit it before the voices can start in my head!

My normal putting “routine” is quick. No practice strokes, no alignment line. Just read it, get over the ball, one look at the hole then go. Think DL III back in the day. So if I try to “get it over with” quickly on a short putt the only way to do that is give it a jab without even lining up.

I can go a couple rounds in a row now without a missed 2-3 footer although I still miss way more short ones than a good putter would. But if I’m playing a 2-1/2 hour solo twilight round I’ll just pick up any 2-footer I like and not bother to putt it out.

I think I would rather get some practice at making the nonchalant putt. It may come in handy some day and I will be better at than if I had never practiced it. I don't know of many that try to miss it or would get worse at it if they 'practiced' it.

I get that was probably not the point your better player was trying to make but still... I would rather practice making it... nonchalantly.... sometimes.