2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

John Peterson

evenpar72

Love some Peterson. He needs to get that Amateur status back and make the Walker Cup. All the while, selling houses and killing monster bucks. A win win for everyone!

Everyone except actual amateurs.

He should go already. Open up a spot for someone who really wants to play tour golf.

This. Plenty out there that crave the Tour grind.... I have enjoyed following him the little bit that I have but I can't stand any of these players that complain about where they are.... I get it sometimes, but you're playing golf and making money, it's hard to feel bad for you... especially when you know you have the talent to compete each week but admit that you just don't care that much.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Love some Peterson. He needs to get that Amateur status back and make the Walker Cup. All the while, selling houses and killing monster bucks. A win win for everyone!

He should go already. Open up a spot for someone who really wants to play tour golf.

This. Plenty out there that crave the Tour grind.... I have enjoyed following him the little bit that I have but I can't stand any of these players that complain about where they are.... I get it sometimes, but you're playing golf and making money, it's hard to feel bad for you... especially when you know you have the talent to compete each week but admit that you just don't care that much.

+1 to both. I don't have anything against Peterson, but his quotes suggest he's quit already. And if he doesn't like the lifestyle that's fine. A really solid player, he'll be sought out for money games forever and probably do pretty good. If he plays the Web finals I frankly don't see the purpose. Even if he keeps his card that way what's the point if your heart really isn't in it?

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

+1 to both. I don't have anything against Peterson, but his quotes suggest he's quit already. And if he doesn't like the lifestyle that's fine. A really solid player, he'll be sought out for money games forever and probably do pretty good. If he plays the Web finals I frankly don't see the purpose. Even if he keeps his card that way what's the point if your heart really isn't in it?

Sometimes attitudes change and if he was to get through web.com finals it keeps doors open for him for next year. Not optimum to be mentally checked out, but sometimes guys can check back in later and having status on tour for another year gives him some more to get things together.

He ain’t done just yet! JP just squeezes into the Barbasol on his number. Hope he plays well!

Barbasol being held in my old neck of the woods this year. Peterson was first alternate and got in. I’m not certain how the points work but if he gets the .6 FEC points he needs would he regain conditional status, or did that have to be accomplished in his medical starts?

Like a bad smell he just keeps lingering!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He ain't done just yet! JP just squeezes into the Barbasol on his number. Hope he plays well!

Barbasol being held in my old neck of the woods this year. Peterson was first alternate and got in. I'm not certain how the points work but if he gets the .6 FEC points he needs would he regain conditional status, or did that have to be accomplished in his medical starts?

He would regain conditional....I agree with the majority of replies on here in that IF JP really doesn't want to travel that much, leave his kid behind all the time etc, then make the move and set sail, ala Joe Ogilvie, Charles Warren, Ben Curtis, etc. Tour life isn't for everyone, I totally get that. But if you say your heart isn't in it, then maybe just cut the cord and move on...

He ain't done just yet! JP just squeezes into the Barbasol on his number. Hope he plays well!

Barbasol being held in my old neck of the woods this year. Peterson was first alternate and got in. I'm not certain how the points work but if he gets the .6 FEC points he needs would he regain conditional status, or did that have to be accomplished in his medical starts?

He would regain conditional....I agree with the majority of replies on here in that IF JP really doesn't want to travel that much, leave his kid behind all the time etc, then make the move and set sail, ala Joe Ogilvie, Charles Warren, Ben Curtis, etc. Tour life isn't for everyone, I totally get that. But if you say your heart isn't in it, then maybe just cut the cord and move on...

I'm confused as to how he got into the Barbasol and why he would regain conditional...according to https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/medical-extensions.html

"In the last start on his Major Medical Extension, John Peterson finished in an eight-way share of 13th place at A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier. He fell 136.110 and $154,390 shy. He also fell short of securing conditional status by 0.585 FedExCup points. As a result, he no longer has status on the PGA TOUR."

Without status, how do you get in as an alternate? (I would understand sponsor exemption or Monday qualifying)

I'm confused as to how he got into the Barbasol and why he would regain conditional...according to https://www.pgatour....extensions.html

"In the last start on his Major Medical Extension, John Peterson finished in an eight-way share of 13th place at A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier. He fell 136.110 and $154,390 shy. He also fell short of securing conditional status by 0.585 FedExCup points. As a result, he no longer has status on the PGA TOUR."

Without status, how do you get in as an alternate? (I would understand sponsor exemption or Monday qualifying)

Its a reach, but category 39 got him in...

I'm confused as to how he got into the Barbasol and why he would regain conditional...according to https://www.pgatour....extensions.html

Its a reach, but category 39 got him in...

Thanks, explains how he got in with "no status" but how can he upgrade his status (short of winning or getting special temporary membership) if he has used up all his med extension starts?

Real shame. Guy had one of my favorite swings on tour.

what a great golf swing.

Mavrik 9* set -1 w/ Ventus Black 6tx

Mavrik SZ 15 w/ Rouge 80x tipped 1"

Miz H4 2 iron ctaper 130x

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

TM Hi-Toe 52* c taper 130x

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

Odyssey Metal X Milled #1  34"

-Prov1x left dash

Who?

Seriously. I follow the PGA pretty damn closely, and I had never heard of this guy until I saw a tweet about him losing his card by decimal points.

Heck, I don't know who he is and I live in Fort Worth.

Maybe I'll see him in some local scrambles.

He was one of the best Ams in the world. Won NCAA individual and played for LSU. He’s not the most well known but he’s been out in the spotlight for a bit

So I researched this and while his FEC points got him on the alternate list and ultimately in the field this week, he only gets additional starts with a win or top 10, he doesn't earn conditional status back because he is now a non-member. His FEC points will go toward making the web finals though.

Thanks, that makes sense.

• 9 months later...

Who? I was thinking this guy....

2qxe348zijht.jpg

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @jdl said:

> Tiger has inspired another comeback.

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/tiger-woods-inspires-john-peterson-come-out-retirement?utm-tags=golf1308000

>

Man, can a guy really come back from the depths of commercial real estate to the tour? I mean, he actually had to wear a button down shirt sometimes, I would guess at least 5 or 6 times. And he also maybe had to get his own lunch a few times. Hopefully he can put that behind him and regain his partial status again one day. #standwithhim.

• Like 1

> @golfandfishing said:

> > @jdl said:

> > Tiger has inspired another comeback.

> > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/tiger-woods-inspires-john-peterson-come-out-retirement?utm-tags=golf1308000

> >

>

> Man, can a guy really come back from the depths of commercial real estate to the tour? I mean, he actually had to wear a button down shirt sometimes, I would guess at least 5 or 6 times. And he also maybe had to get his own lunch a few times. Hopefully he can put that behind him and regain his partial status again one day. #standwithhim.

>

Haha, that was the best article I've read in awhile

The highlight of his career was the Happy Gilmore swing the Far East a few years ago. In those circumstances what is actually going to class as a successful comeback?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> "I was in an office for seven months, and it was fine when I started, I was paying the bills. Then the Masters came along, and I'm watching **this kid Patrick Cantlay**, who in 2011 finished second to me in the national championship when he was at UCLA, and he's finishing ninth in the Masters. It's on TV, and **I beat him, and I beat him a lot**, and I'm just like, '**Man, that could be me**.' And then Tiger wins, with his story, it was just so inspiring, honestly."

The jerk store should be calling any minute now.

Based on Cantlay’s 2011 season, I’d guess that Peterson did not beat him a lot.

Had to listen to Peterson whine for six months before he quit the first time; I’d guess that it’ll be quicker this time around.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I'll bet there was a deeper issue he quit for a while,

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s