ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

It's a Full Swing Golf simulator, and other than terrible mis-hits I've found it to be pretty accurate and right around my normal distances. I think the 5w numbers were around 14.5-15 launch and ~3000 spin on average.

Driver I think was ~2700 spin and 12.5-13.5 launch.

I agree, seems a little far for 5w but I do have it set at 17° and draw setting, and it's standard length (42.5"). It's a newer club and only played one round outdoors, but had two shots 245 yards off the tee in cool fall weather.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yes, that would be ideal to get on GC Quad or GC2, Trackman or something top notch. Not something I have access to I guess, are you aware of any places in town?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yeah, I'm due for a swing intervention. In the meantime I'm going to probably need to do some lessons locally, in person. I'm not doing a good enough job making changes on my own. Likely a result of not being able to come up with good feedback systems to know when I'm doing things wrong or right.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I knew they had a GC2, I guess I didn't know if you could just pay to use it to hit on outside of scheduling a custom fitting.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 1 month later...

Happy 2020 everyone! It's been awhile since I shared an update. I took some time toward the end of last year and through the holidays were I didn't do much of any golfing and tried to focus on fitness and getting my knee feeling good again. I revisited past lessons from Monte, and wrote down the feedback and where I need to go. I also re-read a lot of The Practice Manual by Adam Young and began really defining and structuring my offseason practice plan. That book has been really helpful in many many ways.

I have mostly finished my 2020 golf goals, but will share in a subsequent post when they're completely finalized.

Here's the swing as of this evening - I captured from behind as well as from target side (forgive the net, I wasn't brave enough to put my phone up on the other side), in addition to the regular face on and down the line views. I've really focused on correct pelvic movement and shortening the backswing and feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. Face on shows I'm still trailing a bit with the arms, but I'm hoping to focus more on that now that the other parts are improving.

FO

https://youtu.be/RUCfV_Ak75YDTL

https://youtu.be/hJZaWup0aA0Rear view

https://youtu.be/9g1ZtKvjLhwTarget view

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks Monte, I'll add softening the elbows to my list. Is the pelvis movement and backswing looking better? Are my hands too deep at the top?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

As promised in my previous post, here are my 2020 golf goals - in no particular order

<= 2.5 handicap - I got it as low as 6.6 last summer and I feel like this is reachableRepeat as match play league champs (2 man team league)Score a round at even par (or better!)I have shot under par a couple of times and even par a handful more on 9 hole rounds but have never put a full 18 together; need to figure out if it's a stamina/endurance issue, mental issue or what the road block might be to transfer that 9 hole success to 18 hole rounds.Lowest in relation to par that I have shot is +4Win club championship 1st flightOr qualify for championship flight and place top 3Qualify to play in the Ryder Cup style event our club participates in with 3 local other clubs Play 9 hole rounds before work, twice a week (while school is out)60% GIR - my GIR has been atrocious the past 3 years; I would probably be in the lowest 5th percentile among single digit handicappersSand Saves >= 45 %I made great improvement in my bunker play last year with Monte's technique and a lot of practice, which got me my confidence back. Now I'd like to narrow my focus from getting out of the bunker to anywhere within 20 feet to hitting bunker shots inside 10 feet to give myself better chances at sand savesAverage < 30 putts per roundSpecifically I need to improve at the longer short putts 5-9' (I just didn't make much at all from that range last year) & the mid-range putts 10-25'I am very solid on short putts inside 5 feet, and usually pretty solid on the long lag putts but for whatever reason my midrange putting just isn't there. I'll have to explore what barriers might be hindering me there (mental, approach, technique, etc)No rounds > 87 (43 for 9 hole rounds)Play 5 or more tournaments this year, 2 SDGA events & 3 othersPractice better - I could write a short novel here, but I'll spare the details

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

The new rocket launcher arrived today! Bag is officially set for 2020, outside of possibly needing wedges if grooves start to go. I wasn't planning on making any changes but I fell in love with my Epic Flash Sub-Zero 5w. I haven't hit a fairway metal that well in some time so I decided to get the 3w to go along with it. I really liked the @MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL Tensei AV 75X in the 5w so I stuck with that. Excited to get the lofts and spin dialed in before the season starts.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/310/01SLES79DTLV.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/329/RAPZ9SP4ECO5.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/458/CCAEZMNZ8B7M.jpg[/img]Now I might just need to get a matching 5w cover! Funny thing is I went from being a Callaway hater, but now I'm onboard!
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/922/V1KM0AHGQE58.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/796/9GAO86WPAS6J.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/404/3GDWCR73BM20.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/335/6AX27FGT6C6S.jpg[/img]Also, shout out to @Fujikura Golf, still loving that Ventus Red shaft.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I think that would be awesome! I'm trying to find a time to take the family to the Dells area for a few days and hopefully I can hit a couple of the great golf destinations around the area. Not sure if I will get to make that happen this year though as we've already got a couple of getaways booked for summer 2020.

I would definitely love to play Lawsonia & Sand Valley if I could make that happen!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 11 months later...

Hey - I'm not dead!

I'm reviving this thread since I almost let it die and see that it's been nearly a year since anything has been posted. I sort of disconnected when the first site migration happened, never really got reengaged after all the bugs got worked out and then disconnected again after the site reverted back the "old" but better platform. Really not a fan of the mobile experience now, but maybe I just need to give it more time to get used to it. Web interface is pretty good from my limited experience. 

2020 was sort of weird year and not what I wanted it to be. I missed a fair amount of golf due to having covid, a rib injury and a shoulder injury. Handicap crept up to 8.3 by the end of the year which honestly could've been worse with some of the golf I played this year. I didn't play any tournament golf and performed poorly more often than not in my leagues. 

DESPITE all of that, I actually feel like I made some great progress swing wise in getting my grip (specifically right/trail hand) stronger, stopping the overswing, and getting a better pivot/eliminating the sway off the ball. My issue where I struggled most of the year was I developed a big hook, or even a smother hook as the most predominant miss which I am attributing to my old habit of flipping occurring even when I was getting the clubface in a good position and/or often getting too inside to out through impact. 

• I had probably the best driving year I have had in I can't remember when. I hit way more fairways than in previous years, I had a pretty consistent shot shape and I was hitting it longer too.
  • Ball striking was a mixed bag, when I felt comfortable with my changes I was hitting nice high draws with the irons but there was a lot of low lefts too when I wasn't comfortable
    • The biggest plus, my impact conditions were so improved and it helped my play in the wind so much. Before this year I struggled so badly with major loss of distance into a headwind
    • Distance control was tough because my good shots were going 5-10 yards more than I was used but all the misses sprinkled in made it hard to play for anything but eliminating the big risks
  • Scoring irons & wedge play was pretty poor overall and I wasn't able to take advantage of how good drove it. Seemed to be left, long left or just long in a lot of cases and wasn't giving myself good looks at all. 
  • Putting was poor as well, but I can't put my finger on exactly why outside a handful of rounds where I could not get comfortable in my setup and alignment. At the start of the year I switched from a new putter I used most of 2019 back to my original Odyssey White Hog XG #7 that I used for like 12 years. 
    • I going to be working with my putting mirror and indoor mat a lot this winter to really drill in my setup and alignment. 

I am working on reviewing my 2020 goals, mentally going through the year to review & analyze my game, and laying out 2021 goals as well as a road map for where my focus needs to be. 

Stay tuned, I'm going to try to get some new swing progress videos uploaded. 

• Like 2

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well, here's the state of the swing now that holidays are over and I had some time to set up and hit. I still can't get great video even after installing some super bright LEDs so apologies. 

I really didn't take any video this year so wasn't sure what to expect.

I think my grip change is probably the most noticeable and may even be too strong now. I've fought the hooks at times this year which I attribute to the grip change in combination with still dumping the right hand. 

Backswing is shorter and a little better, still think I could be stopping a touch shorter. 

Arms are still lagging my lower but not as egregiously as before. 

It's time to get to work as I'm really disappointed with how 2020 was. Trying to evaluate and see what steps I need to take next. 

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

@ddetts You look really shallow, which I bet is really good for your driver, and maybe not so good for the wedges?   Maybe check your AoA on wedges?  Maybe get steeper?

I'm trying to take divots, myself.  It looks like you might have a CCE / Country Club Elite type mat which can get a bit "grabby" at impact, which tends to punish you when you try to take a divot.  I splurged on a Fiberbuilt mat with the original "brush" impact surface.  It helps a ton by not punishing me for taking a divot...     

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, games said:

@ddetts You look really shallow, which I bet is really good for your driver, and maybe not so good for the wedges?   Maybe check your AoA on wedges?  Maybe get steeper?

I'm trying to take divots, myself.  It looks like you might have a CCE / Country Club Elite type mat which can get a bit "grabby" at impact, which tends to punish you when you try to take a divot.  I splurged on a Fiberbuilt mat with the original "brush" impact surface.  It helps a ton by not punishing me for taking a divot...     

I'd say that's a really good observation. I definitely feel like my path has gotten too inside out and shallow. I was hardly taking any divots all year, even with wedges and short irons whereas previously I would get divots even up to my long irons. 

Getting steeper turn and feeling like I'm swinging more left is something I've recently started working on, in an effort to try to get path a little closer to neutral. I'm pretty certain path was a big part of why I was hitting a lot of hooks this year. 

I agree the CCE isn't great for steep strikes and didn't really think that perhaps I was subconsciously altering my swing to avoid those harsh impacts. I'll have to look into a fiber built option. Don't really want to drop $500+ on a second mat but maybe I can work out getting the oval or a couple of the square inserts. 

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Did some work on focused practice today, mostly working on setup, alignment and steepening my tilt. Really felt good and was getting impact pretty dialed in with my irons. Then my usual toe impact pattern showed up with 5w.

I only hit 30 balls (10 for each club) really focused on a lot of slow rehearsals and exaggerations between each actual swing. I definitely think it helped with AoA as I caught a couple fat and high on the face whereas normally I'd be missing low and thin before. Pictures are 7i, 4i, then 5w for my impact patterns. 

20201229_142318.jpg

20201229_151006.jpg

20201229_153406.jpg

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

@games gotta give you a shootout for calling out the flat/shallow in the swing. I've been really working on that the last couple days and it's been a big help. Had really good results again today with the irons and it even translated up into 3 wood. I'm pretty happy with the impact pattern below for 10 balls. 

20201230_155747.jpg

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen