Ping Forged Wedges --Just One Grind?

Maybe I'm missing something or I'm simply wrong-footed and you'll correct me, but I have seen NOTHING indicating the availability of different grinds for these new forged wedges. It's being reported that the only option available will be something between a TS and SS grind. But is that likely to change? Is the Glide Forged ES going to be announced the day after I buy the regular Glide 2.0 ES? Say it isn't so...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping G410 LST w/Fuji 6.3X TS
Ping FW 410 LST w/8.2X TS
Titleist 816 H2 Hb 19* w/Fuji 8.8X TS
4i-PW Ping iBlade w/steelfiber 110x
50SS w/steelfiber 110x & 54SS Stealth Glide 2.0 - 60 Glide Forged w/Paderson Wedge Stiff
Ping PLD3 w/counterbalanced PP60
Pro V1

Thought I read Ping WRX will custom grind them if wanted

They will not. The sole/toe has a large tungsten piece which is why they cannot/will not grind them, even in the WRX department.

Titleist TS2 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Titleist TS2 18* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Titleist 818 H2 21* - Diamana D+ 100TX
Titleist T100 4-P - TI DG S400
Titleist SM7 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

The video tells it all. These are for a specific demographic. I believe they made these because they didn't want Louis playing Callaway's anymore. I love the Stealth 2.0, but would love 10 versus 12 degrees of bounce on my 54.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 58° ES
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow

The video tells it all. These are for a specific demographic. I believe they made these because they didn't want Louis playing Callaway's anymore. I love the Stealth 2.0, but would love 10 versus 12 degrees of bounce on my 54.

Buy a 56-12 SS and bend it to 54. Bounce goes to 10.

Thought I read Ping WRX will custom grind them if wanted

They will not. The sole/toe has a large tungsten piece which is why they cannot/will not grind them, even in the WRX department.

Hmmmm...that stinks

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80S)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Makes sense, companies hate when players play others clubs.

Aka Justin Rose playing a Callaway PM grind a year or so ago

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master

Zero chance that Louis playing v not playing their wedges have an appreciable affect on their wedge sales.

Zero chance that Louis playing v not playing their wedges have an appreciable affect on their wedge sales.

Never said that. Simply implying that Ping is not a company that likes their players with a mixed bag, so they took steps to correct that.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 58° ES
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Stinks but not unheard of. Callaway only had that R grind on their forged wedges last year. Also, Cleveland's RTX wedges have different levels of bounce but still only one style of grind between all the lofts.

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

SIM Ti 19* | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Cobra Speedzone 18.5* | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

i210 4-PW | X100 Tour Issue 1xSS

Ping Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12 | S400 Tour Issue

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Cleveland SOFT Premier #4

ProV1x

Should've just called them the LO Grind. Or the Lou Daddys

That's good.....but I think the grind ....heel/toe relief, make them really versatile still

I've never used a toe relief but I've lived with a heel relief for more than a decade and have grown used to it as a very versatile grind.

Shambles

• 1 year later...

I have the 50, 54 and 58 and the sole is a bit narrow and hard to get the leading edge under the ball on tight lies. I love their performance and forged feel in general, but just with could grind one of them down a bit to pick it off the deck a bit cleaner. I might just get another one for this. What grind in a Mizuno T20 with help with tight lies? Or if I bend the 58-10 to 60 will it make it easier to pick off a tight lie?

Yeah, I'll just get rid, mine have X100s and they don't match my Modus 120x in my MP18s. I'll give the T20s a punt. The PW is at 46 degrees. I felt like I had too many options with the 50, 54 and 58. I think I'll keep my 3 iron Fli-hi and go down to a 52 and 58, just trying to figure out the grind and bounce.