2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Push Fades with Driver, How Do I Fix It?

Pigems

Hey guys, I’m hoping someone can help me out here. Lately my driver has been a little on the wild side, it’s always been my biggest issue, but I had it tamed down for a while to where I could just aim up the right side of the fairway and let it fade back. That’s gone now, I still get the fade but more often than not it’s a push fade even though I’m aimed right. What is causing this? And more importantly, how do I fix it? Thanks very much for any advice or opinions, I really appreciate the help. I hope you all have a great day :)

Here’s a couple of swings

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious - does it feel like you're swinging out to the left?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. At times it does feel like that, but not always with this miss(or maybe I don’t realize it every time) and it’s rarely my intent when I swing driver.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Thanks for taking the time to reply. At times it does feel like that, but not always with this miss(or maybe I don’t realize it every time) and it’s rarely my intent when I swing driver.

Interesting. I reserve the right to be completely wrong because I'm not an instructor but it seems like the path is more left than you want it. I don't know why, you have a nice looking swing and it seems like you get through the ball wonderfully. I'm a righty but I have the same problem a lot of times with pushes and/or push-cuts. For me that's because I get my hips sliding forward towards the target way too much but as far as I can tell you don't do that at all.

Curious to hear what the pros say.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Your clubface is quite open to the path at P6 (below). Path looks pretty good, so maybe you’re just not having time to close the face enough. That fits with a push fade ball flight.

Maybe try a slightly stronger lead hand grip, and/or some lead wrist flexion (“motorcycle move”) starting in transition through impact, to close the face a touch more.

d77c5d49b263282feafda7c7e3876cb7.png

Interesting. I reserve the right to be completely wrong because I'm not an instructor but it seems like the path is more left than you want it. I don't know why, you have a nice looking swing and it seems like you get through the ball wonderfully. I'm a righty but I have the same problem a lot of times with pushes and/or push-cuts. For me that's because I get my hips sliding forward towards the target way too much but as far as I can tell you don't do that at all.

Thanks very much for the input, I’m curious as well. Do you feel like your hands fall behind or can’t keep up when that happens?

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Thanks very much for the input, I’m curious as well. Do you feel like your hands fall behind or can’t keep up when that happens?

Well I slide so much that the club gets stuck wayyy behind me and I have to stand up, goat-hump, early-extend in order to make contact with the ball. This also involves flipping my hands - its all bad.

So to answer your question yes I feel like my hands can't keep up. But again, from what I can tell you don't slide nearly as much as I do because I tend to over do it by a wide margin.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Your clubface is quite open to the path at P6 (below). Path looks pretty good, so maybe you’re just not having time to close the face enough. That fits with a push fade ball flight.

Maybe try a slightly stronger lead hand grip, and/or some lead wrist flexion (“motorcycle move”) starting in transition through impact, to close the face a touch more.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Ok that makes sense, I was using a stronger grip for a while and recently weakened it a bit because I thought it was causing some Heely miss strikes. Would closing the club in my grip(without adjusting my hands) do the same thing? Or have I maybe gone to weak now and it’s time to go back the other way a bit?

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Ok that makes sense, I was using a stronger grip for a while and recently weakened it a bit because I thought it was causing some Heely miss strikes. Would closing the club in my grip(without adjusting my hands) do the same thing? Or have I maybe gone to weak now and it’s time to go back the other way a bit?

Closing the club in your grip, and strengthening your grip, are the same thing. Definitely could be the cause. The stronger your grip or lead wrist flexion, the less you’ll feel rushed to square the club.

Closing the club in your grip, and strengthening your grip, are the same thing. Definitely could be the cause. The stronger your grip or lead wrist flexion, the less you’ll feel rushed to square the club.

Awesome!! TYVM Sir. “Rushed to close the club face” strikes close to home, I feel like I can’t close it fast enough at times. I’m gonna try to hit the range tomorrow, I’ll report back with results. Thanks again :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I think you're set up too far from the ball causing you to reach for it ... that might be keeping you from getting enough clubface closure at impact. Take your normal address position and then move your toe line 2-3" closer to your target line and swing away. Grip already looks pretty strong assuming you set the face square at address ... tough to see through the screen on your FO vid.

Backswing length isn't helping - could shorten it up - you get stuck cause your arms can't catch up to your lower bod - too much distance to make up. In transition you don't gain any right side bend nor do you do much of a lateral shift - just start to rotate - so at shaft parallel in downswing instead of your shoulders being about level you already have your right shoulder high/left shoulder low (as noted in an earlier post) - the lead shoulder actually stays below the trail until around the shaft parallel position. The club face could be a bit shut too.

I'd definitely take a lesson. You've come a long way from the old swing I recall so nice job. A lesson from a good instructor can only help speed up your improvement. Good luck.

Here's a great instrgram of Suri in slo mo showing his downhill move to start transition and how his shoulders work - not to mention the length of backswing and though a long iron he launches it over 290+ with driver.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkATbXwlQtc/?taken-by=dancarraher

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I wasn’t able to get to the range tonight unfortunately, but thank you very much to everyone who replied. I really appreciate you taking the time to do so. I’m gonna give all of your advice a go next time out and see what works and what doesn’t work for me, I’ll be sure to report back with results. I’ve never had a formal lesson before so I really can’t see myself going down that road at this point, I’ve built my swing over the past 4-5 years by posting videos on here and just working with the advice giving to me so I think I’m gonna stick to the path that has worked well so far. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow night for some trial and error, my favourite part. Thanks again everyone, hope you all have a great day :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Backswing length isn't helping - could shorten it up - you get stuck cause your arms can't catch up to your lower bod - too much distance to make up. In transition you don't gain any right side bend nor do you do much of a lateral shift - just start to rotate - so at shaft parallel in downswing instead of your shoulders being about level you already have your right shoulder high/left shoulder low (as noted in an earlier post) - the lead shoulder actually stays below the trail until around the shaft parallel position. The club face could be a bit shut too.

I'd definitely take a lesson. You've come a long way from the old swing I recall so nice job. A lesson from a good instructor can only help speed up your improvement. Good luck.

Here's a great instrgram of Suri in slo mo showing his downhill move to start transition and how his shoulders work - not to mention the length of backswing and though a long iron he launches it over 290+ with driver.

https://www.instagra...-by=dancarraher

Any drills that OP (and myself) could use for arms and lower body to sync up. My hips spin pretty quick and leave the arms behind when I hit it bad. I've dabbled with a bump in transition but that "feel" often results in my lower body moving even faster.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I got out and played this morning and I believe I’ve got it sorted out now thanks to you guys. Turns out the fix was to strengthen my grip with my lead hand, open the driver face a little bit and square up my feet a bit more. I had mostly straight drives today, balls would roll over slightly one way or the other but only 5/10y so I was just aiming up the mid which was weird for me but it worked. I hit 7/14 Fir today and the misses weren’t by much, 5y max. I even hit one 309y today and had a Pw in to get on one of the Par 5’s in 2. Thanks again for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2