Why is custom/hand stamping so sought after?

chris975d

I've been wondering this for a while, and thought I'd ask it here to see if anyone could explain it to me. Question is...why, usually on custom/high-end putters, like Scottys, Lambs, or any of the other custom putter makers, is hand stamping so highly regarded and sought after? I get that it's a way to make the putter "custom" or more your own with your initials, name, phrases, even small graphics, etc, but if you could get the same things, but actually programmed and milled or engraved into the putter, is that not even more desirable? That has to be programmed for and planned for, whereas (to me) the stamping just feels like the maker could make up a batch of blank heads, then just hand stamp accordingly as they are customized.

Anyway, I just don't understand why hand stamping is so sought after. Especially on CNC made putters that are made to such exacting and precise specs (the whole reason for the CNC in the first place), then put stamping on it that's almost the exact opposite of clean and precise. I could maybe understand hand stamping maybe 15-20 years ago or so, before the proliferation of affordable CNC machines, but I just don't understand it now.

Anyone have any insight into it that I'm not seeing?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You aren't missing anything. And Llortamaisey has it nailed.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

People get their initials stamped on putters and wedges because they hate resale value, unless they are Big Cat

You aren't missing anything. And Llortamaisey has it nailed.

To be clear, I mean ANYTHING stamped into a putter, not just initials or names. Look at the Gallery putters from Cameron...like the 009s and the Timeless's...usually everything on them is hand stamped...even the "Titleist" logo, the "009" on the bumpers, etc. Same thing with Lambs. Almost any wording, lettering, or graphics on the putters are hand stamped, when all of this could just as easily be milled into the putter and look much, much cleaner.

So I'm not referring to just initials and personalization, I mean ANYTHING that is hand stamped into a CNC putter.

Two reasons I think:

(1) It shows the craftsmanship of the maker. Good handstamping takes time.

(2) Similarly, OEM putters aren’t handstamped.

People like stuff that people actually touched with their hands (more), spent more time making and that they won’t find in somebody else’s bag.

I kind of get this, but at the same time, if I have all of my customizations actually designed into and milled into the putter while it's being made, this would seem to make it more "my" putter from its inception since it would have to be programmed into the actual milling of the putter, as opposed to being a generic blank before the maker stamped stuff into it.

And especially with the stock Cameron Gallery stuff. Like this one here (just one example, almost all of them there are this way):

https://www.scottycameron.com/gallery-store/product.aspx?zpid=2800

Those graphics aren't something that's chosen by the customer at time of ordering, they are already in the putter. So why hand stamp them? Seems it would be much cleaner looking (to match the precision of the rest of the CNC aspects of the putter) to mill this in from the start.

I don’t disagree with your premise. I think it’s more the handmade look as opposed to the machined look, not so much about whether the putter is personalized to you (whether that be milled or handstamped). The reason Cameron and now Lamb’s stuff is popular is the attention to detail. Their handstamping is superb. It’s tastefully done for the most part and their stamping are straight, at a consistent depth and just well done. People get nostalgic about that stuff...feels more personal than a CNC mill.

I don’t disagree with your premise. I think it’s more the handmade look as opposed to the machined look, not so much about whether the putter is personalized to you (whether that be milled or handstamped). The reason Cameron and now Lamb’s stuff is popular is the attention to detail. Their handstamping is superb. It’s tastefully done for the most part and their stamping are straight, at a consistent depth and just well done. People get nostalgic about that stuff...feels more personal than a CNC mill.

I guess...I just don't get that part of it. Why buy a precision made putter just to add not precise markings on it? I could totally get on board with the hand stamping if the putter was truly hand crafted and not milled by computers, but the dichotomy of the crude looking stamping with the machine made clean lines of the rest of the putters just doesn't look right to me. But, everyone has different tastes, and that's why we have so many choices in what we buy.

Cool topic, humor my Design-nerd response! I would add that in the history of precious metalwork going back to the 13th C, marks have been added to silver.

First the leopard's head to indicate that the silver content was at the standard of coinage (92.5% silver) so that the piece could be converted into coin as needed. Next all pieces had to be taken to Goldsmith's Hall in London to be marked (hence Hall Marks). Later annual date marks were added, and then the English "sterling" lion.

Here's the important bit tho' - in 1697, the standard of silver content on metalwork was raised (to 95.8% silver) to differentiate it from the Britannia standard of currency, and the maker's mark (not the bourbon, but yum) of the first two initials of the makers' surname added to the overall Hallmark.

So adding the initials of the designer, this is tradition in which the golf club stampers (or computers) are working. Marks indicate the standard of quality, or the standardized value of the piece (eg the putter or wedge), as well as indicating the shop that it came from. If the shop is known for quality and the stamp recognizable, then it creates the "sought after" condition.

It's worth noting that organizational branding and design, such as Titleist or Miura also performs the same function of establishing value, but lending equity from the organization, rather the individual designer (or computer).

Marking the customer's initials or pet name for a club ("Big Mike's Mashie!!") would be more of a customer service offer. As would the loft or other technical mark.

To the question about whether hand stamping "looks good", or matches the precision of a computer stamp that might be on there, or any kind of machine cut mark in general, would be personal preference. Maybe the rainbow, zany hand stamping, or a good luck clover brings a bit of humor and joy to the bag like a tiger headcover. Maybe its about prestige, or relationships, or just a reminder that there are designers in workshops making golf clubs.

I do think that there could be a much more elegance in the marking, stamping, engraving of clubs FWIW.

I guess...I just don't get that part of it. Why buy a precision made putter just to add not precise markings on it? I could totally get on board with the hand stamping if the putter was truly hand crafted and not milled by computers, but the dichotomy of the crude looking stamping with the machine made clean lines of the rest of the putters just doesn't look right to me. But, everyone has different tastes, and that's why we have so many choices in what we buy.

Hand stamping provides something that is 'unique'. Stamping will never be 100% the same. I think some of the completely CNC machined putters nice, but I like the soft touch and slight imperfections that result from stamping.

Cameron stamps all gallery putters so none are ever the same and as a way to protect brand value.

People pay a huge premium for cars that have interiors that are hand sewn vs machine sewn.

I think it depends on what level of stamping you want. You can definitely get Scotty Cameron's that are handstamped to your preference. There are two distributors who can request certain stamps on a putter and you will get it or not. I mean true handstamping by the man himself is super expensive. Just like anything in life, true customization is expensive.

To your point about why CNC milled and then "mess" it up with handstampings, I think it makes it have a more human connection.

I personally have a Scotty Cameron putter that has a double stamp and it can make it more valuable depending who you ask.

Two reasons I think:

People like stuff that people actually touched with their hands (more), spent more time making and that they won’t find in somebody else’s bag.

I kind of get this, but at the same time, if I have all of my customizations actually designed into and milled into the putter while it's being made, this would seem to make it more "my" putter from its inception since it would have to be programmed into the actual milling of the putter, as opposed to being a generic blank before the maker stamped stuff into it.

And especially with the stock Cameron Gallery stuff. Like this one here (just one example, almost all of them there are this way):

https://www.scottyca....aspx?zpid=2800

Those graphics aren't something that's chosen by the customer at time of ordering, they are already in the putter. So why hand stamp them? Seems it would be much cleaner looking (to match the precision of the rest of the CNC aspects of the putter) to mill this in from the start.

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

I believe that the reason is at least 2-fold.

1. Hand stamping shows that there is a person handling the putter. Someone other than a machine actually put their work into the putter and created the look with their hands, not with programming. As mentioned, hand stamping is NOT something that a person can do well, 99% of the time, by just grabbing a hammer and a set of letters and giving them a WHACK! I have no way of knowing what sort of experience you have, but creating something with a hammer and a handful of stamps is a bit of an art, IMHO. I never thought that I would see it that way, but time and trials have given me a different view of this craft than I had, 20 years ago. Some guys want to know that there was a guy looking at their putter and trying to decide the best way to make their personal requests come alive on that piece of steel.

Will it be everyone's cup of tea? Is ANYTHING really EVERYONE's cup of tea? Not going to happen.

2. Like I said, I am not sure what your level of involvement in the putter world is, but having a putter head made by CNC is not as simple as snapping your fingers. Unless you own the CNC machine, getting the already milled head back into the machine to engrave designs that have been requested by a customer is expensive, at best. The programming that it takes to create CNC engraving is an art, in itself. Getting access to the CNC machine for small sessions of engraving is not even something that most small makers are able to even imagine.

I'll not argue that there are very cool factors to having items engraved via CNC machining. Look at the way Kari Lajosi wraps the lizards around the putter, or the way that he does his All-Lizard Face. THOSE are amazing feats, IMHO. Or, the Circle T engraving that starts on the back wall of the face and wraps down onto the floor of the flange! Damn! Nobody is free-handing THAT on a Bridgeport! CNC has capabilities that are inherently machine-only and for some, that is the way to go. Just have a glance at all of the cool engraving that Bettinardi is capable of on their limited pieces. The small guys who do not own the machines that create their products have no choice but to admire the large company's capability and keep honing their own skills at giving the customer that hands-on touch and filling the niche that is hand stamped designs.

Is one better than the other? Not in my opinion. Is one cleaner, more sterile and precise? Yes. Does one show the skill of a pair of hands and a set of eyes? IMHO, yes and it is an art that I have been blessed to be a part of. Maybe one day I'll own that CNC machine and be able to do both.............a guy has to dream, ;).

Just one Mann's opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

LaMont in AZ

Two reasons I think:

I think reason #2 is spot on. Many golfers want a putter that is unique, something only they could attain. Putters, even custom built putters, are made in batches which in itself make them not unique. Hand stamping makes a common putter truly unique and "one of a kind". Some people love to decorate their custom putters with a lot of stamps or combinations of them to identify themselves with it. Call it stamping art and the putter being the "canvas" of the individual player. Some people take a minimalist approach in stampings that can similar to other putters by the same maker. I take a minimalist approach on mine custom putters. The putter manufacturer's name on it somewhere (usually on the face below the hosel). Maybe some sort of brand type of stamp or something to signify the putter and a trait of it. I don't put weight or initials on the putter. I also don't prefer Cherry bomb milling or excessive bling stamps. I also do not prefer any stamp stating "Tour Use Only", or something to that effect, because any putter made for me is certainly not a tour made putter. That's just not for me. I believe simple is better.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I'm having trouble understanding your viewpoint on the precision of the putters build being affected by hand stamping. Generally speaking, custom stamping can't be seen at address. Further to that, the purpose of the putters precise manufacturing process is to deliver a product that holes putts, not always to look like a precise piece of equipment in a players bag. Custom stamping does not affect the performance of the putter. If your thinking is that the stamping makes a precision putter less attractive, there are a whole lot of people that would just flat out say "no, it doesn't." Personally, I think that a lot of the Scotty putters I've seen come back from the custom shop are gorgeous, classy and even perfect.

The answer to your question is found in custom print shops, embroidery shops, MyJoys.com, custom licence plates and any number of services that will customize something to a customers liking. People simply like things to be uniquely theirs and it's no more complicated than that. Two_Putt is bang on - people just like to make things their own. In most cases, they prefer the look as well.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

1. Hand stamping shows that there is a person handling the putter. Someone other than a machine actually put their work into the putter and created the look with their hands, not with programming. As mentioned, hand stamping is NOT something that a person can do well, 99% of the time, by just grabbing a hammer and a set of letters and giving them a WHACK! I have no way of knowing what sort of experience you have, but creating something with a hammer and a handful of stamps is a bit of an art, IMHO. I never thought that I would see it that way, but time and trials have given me a different view of this craft than I had, 20 years ago. Some guys want to know that there was a guy looking at their putter and trying to decide the best way to make their personal requests come alive on that piece of steel.

Will it be everyone's cup of tea? Is ANYTHING really EVERYONE's cup of tea? Not going to happen.

This is it for me. If you like the idea of a custom CNC program better than someone putting some hand work into your putter then that's cool, but I'd prefer the latter. I like knowing that humans hands were involved and the imperfections are, in a way, the evidence.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Cool topic, humor my Design-nerd response! I would add that in the history of precious metalwork going back to the 13th C, marks have been added to silver.

First the leopard's head to indicate that the silver content was at the standard of coinage (92.5% silver) so that the piece could be converted into coin as needed. Next all pieces had to be taken to Goldsmith's Hall in London to be marked (hence Hall Marks). Later annual date marks were added, and then the English "sterling" lion.

Here's the important bit tho' - in 1697, the standard of silver content on metalwork was raised (to 95.8% silver) to differentiate it from the Britannia standard of currency, and the maker's mark (not the bourbon, but yum) of the first two initials of the makers' surname added to the overall Hallmark.

So adding the initials of the designer, this is tradition in which the golf club stampers (or computers) are working. Marks indicate the standard of quality, or the standardized value of the piece (eg the putter or wedge), as well as indicating the shop that it came from. If the shop is known for quality and the stamp recognizable, then it creates the "sought after" condition.

It's worth noting that organizational branding and design, such as Titleist or Miura also performs the same function of establishing value, but lending equity from the organization, rather the individual designer (or computer).

Marking the customer's initials or pet name for a club ("Big Mike's Mashie!!") would be more of a customer service offer. As would the loft or other technical mark.

To the question about whether hand stamping "looks good", or matches the precision of a computer stamp that might be on there, or any kind of machine cut mark in general, would be personal preference. Maybe the rainbow, zany hand stamping, or a good luck clover brings a bit of humor and joy to the bag like a tiger headcover. Maybe its about prestige, or relationships, or just a reminder that there are designers in workshops making golf clubs.

I do think that there could be a much more elegance in the marking, stamping, engraving of clubs FWIW.

I'm not saying that the stamping alters the performance of the putter, I've been in golf and equipment sales long enough (my entire working career) not to be that naive.

Your last statement touches on what I'm talking about...the elegance of it. You have the elegance of a precision made, exacting lines, contours, etc of a CNC putter, then have somewhat crudely stamped letters, logos, etc in them. And I get the customization aspect too...I like almost all of my cherished goods to be personalized and unique. But why not have that "stuff"... the personalization...also milled into the putter? It would just look so much cleaner, and after personally having putters hand stamped with my customizations, and then having those same customizations milled directly into my putter, I think it's no contest which looks better and matches overall feel of a CNC putter.

To me, it's like having a precision, high performance supercar, then having a spray can/Krylon paint finish put on it by hand. I don't think anyone would do that, regardless of how much disposable money they had, and no matter how "good" the paint can artist was.

And, I do have high end things that are truly hand made...but almost every aspect of those items is truly handmade. Not actually created in a very precise way, then hand stamping? That's like faux distressing furniture to me. Nothing about the actual putter is handmade...not the part that matters, anyway. The customer is actually buying the putter because it's NOT handmade...you know via CNC that the face is true, the specs are just as entered into the milling program, etc.

Again, it's all personal preference, but I was just looking to see if there was more concrete reasoning behind taking something that is so CLEARLY not made my hand (CNC putters), and are in fact made the way they are because of such tight control over design and tolerances, and then adding something so...opposite of that (hand stamping)... to the finished product. If the answer really is..."cause it's what I want", then that's that. Lol. I just didn't know if there's something I'm missing.

That kind of "customization" has kept Scotty Cameron rolling in money. It's just the same as putting gold caps on perfectly good teeth. Just to say to the world, "I've got way too much money and I want you to know it." Somehow it becomes desirable and drives up the "value" even more and then you have a great putter that is too expensive to use and it collects dust.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

That kind of "customization" has kept Scotty Cameron rolling in money. It's just the same as putting gold caps on perfectly good teeth. Just to say to the world, "I've got way too much money and I want you to know it." Somehow it becomes desirable and drives up the "value" even more and then you have a great putter that is too expensive to use and it collects dust.

Guys...I get the customization point. I'm just asking why is it "more desirable" to have said customization done by hand stamps, which look so out of place on a CNC putter when you consider how the entire putter is actually made, instead of asking or requiring the maker to mill those same customizations into the putter? The latter seems like it would actually make the putter more unique, i.e. "coveted", as those customizations would have to actually be designed into the putter from its conception.

As it stands now, a maker can tool up and create a bunch of "blanks", whether they be Scotty's 009 or Timeless models, or Lamb's Allendale model, and essentially have a bin of those blanks to pull from and just hand stamp some tiny markings into it. To me, that would seem less "unique" than having your markings/customizations in mind and having to design them into the actual essence (the CNC milling program) of the putter.

I’m not at all getting why having something programmed into the design is more desirable than having someone stamp them in by hand after the fact. It isn’t like the CNC is going to create a different putter head in your example, just different aesthetics on the finished product, just like hand stamping but without the (actual) personal touch.

I’m not at all getting why having something programmed into the design is more desirable than having someone stamp them in by hand after the fact. It isn’t like the CNC is going to create a different putter head in your example, just different aesthetics on the finished product, just like hand stamping but without the (actual) personal touch.

True...guess it is all just personal touch. I just don't fully understand why we want to add a "personal touch" by hand, when that kind of goes against why we are choosing a CNC putter to start with. Seems that if one would want a "personal touch" or "hand made", we would choose to just buy from a maker that makes the entire putter by hand, and not using any computer aided machinery. That would truly introduce the "imperfections" that are usually sought after when really talking about handmade/ personal touch items.

I also guess I equate it to another expensive hobby of mine...custom knives. In that hobby, one typically goes with a knife made all with modern methods...CNC/etc for all the precision it gives to the profile/shape, decorations, etc; or a knife almost totally made by hand that introduces the true "imperfections" that one seeks when wanting something made by human hands. But, you would rarely blend the two...handmade parts/decorations with CNC...just doesn't look right.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses..it's a taste/personal choice issue. I get it.

I have numerous handstamped putters and not a single one would I consider 100% CNC milled.

Most guys(Not Cameron or Lamb) rough mill most of their putters(either by the machine doing all the work or controlling the wheels by hand) and then the putter spend quite a bit of time getting specific loft milled in, bumpers shaped to be softer or more square, this could be done by anyone with good programming knowledge.

The true art of putter making is lost on most of the people making "custom" putters nowadays. I will not throw anyone under the bus, or say anyone is better, but pulling a completed head out of a pile and stamping it and doing a finish and some paintfill may be custom, but there is no artistry in it from my POV. Let alone the people that call those handmades. I won't even get in a discussion about handmades anymore, some people think if as long as a computer doesn't do any of the work it's handmade, some people think if a milling machine is involved at all it isn't handmade, and some people think hand stamping a putter makes it hand made.

Pulling a rough milled head and hand shaping portions, milling a specific loft, then hand making a hosel(neck) or a machined neck to a specific length and a specific location to get desired look, feel, toe hang is an art, and having the makers mark on your art is more desireable, so hand stamping became popular. Plus smaller putter makers aren't going to produce and sell heads exactly alike, or even exactly alike with only some milled letters or logo being the only difference. As a former owner of a putter company, I can remember going a couple of months before getting orders for more than a couple of putters with the exact same weight, toe hang, hosel type, and loft that milling a pile of putters the same way is a waste of money.

--

On a side note I use to be like you. I wanted 100% milled putters, with no weld marks, didn't want a crooked stamping and wanted any customization milled into the putter. As I understood more about putter making(owning a company will do that to you) I started to understand that each putter wasn't just an order, it meant something to the person ordering and treating like a number(we never used order numbers for tracking progress, we used customer names) seemed counterinuitive. Making them all look the same is good for branding, but bad for selling.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I have numerous handstamped putters and not a single one would I consider 100% CNC milled.

Most guys(Not Cameron or Lamb) rough mill most of their putters(either by the machine doing all the work or controlling the wheels by hand) and then the putter spend quite a bit of time getting specific loft milled in, bumpers shaped to be softer or more square, this could be done by anyone with good programming knowledge.

The true art of putter making is lost on most of the people making "custom" putters nowadays. I will not throw anyone under the bus, or say anyone is better, but pulling a completed head out of a pile and stamping it and doing a finish and some paintfill may be custom, but there is no artistry in it from my POV. Let alone the people that call those handmades. I won't even get in a discussion about handmades anymore, some people think if as long as a computer doesn't do any of the work it's handmade, some people think if a milling machine is involved at all it isn't handmade, and some people think hand stamping a putter makes it hand made.

Pulling a rough milled head and hand shaping portions, milling a specific loft, then hand making a hosel(neck) or a machined neck to a specific length and a specific location to get desired look, feel, toe hang is an art, and having the makers mark on your art is more desireable, so hand stamping became popular. Plus smaller putter makers aren't going to produce and sell heads exactly alike, or even exactly alike with only some milled letters or logo being the only difference. As a former owner of a putter company, I can remember going a couple of months before getting orders for more than a couple of putters with the exact same weight, toe hang, hosel type, and loft that milling a pile of putters the same way is a waste of money.

--

On a side note I use to be like you. I wanted 100% milled putters, with no weld marks, didn't want a crooked stamping and wanted any customization milled into the putter. As I understood more about putter making(owning a company will do that to you) I started to understand that each putter wasn't just an order, it meant something to the person ordering and treating like a number(we never used order numbers for tracking progress, we used customer names) seemed counterinuitive. Making them all look the same is good for branding, but bad for selling.

That's more of what I was looking for...thank you! And I do feel the same as a lot of what you're saying. My biggest wonder is regarding the all CNCed putters with hand stamping...I just don't get the appeal. Now if a putter has significant TRUE hand work in it, in terms of sculpting or softening of lines by hand, then by all means I can definitely see hand stamping that. But a cold, hard putter right off the CNC basically, I don't think it looks "right".

But again, thank you for responding. Much more of the insight I was looking for.

Hand stamping in general is more bespoke, and some people prefer that level of service. If you don’t like bespoke products, then hand stamping is not for you, and there is nothing wrong with that. The world would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same stuff.

That's the part I don't get right there..."more" bespoke? How so? It's the same thing, to a higher level of finish to engrave or mill the...whatever...into the putter. But at the end of the day it's just as "bespoke" (made to order) to do it either way.

If we all go to Augusta for the Masters, and there are racks of shirts with hand drawn (directly) on the shirt Masters logos, and racks with it machine embroidered, I'll bet most would take the machine embroidered.

We've, for the most part, moved way beyond "hand made" putters. None of these CNC putters are close to hand made. I still just don't get why we haven't also moved more modern in how we customize it. It's a real stretch to say that stamping makes a putter handmade, or even approaches hand made.

I collaborated with the person who made my putter; complex CNC programming, compatibility issues, spec changes... he'd find solutions and was always upbeat. I wanted his energy and personality stamped in the steel he spent six months wrestling with ... just made sense.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Hand stamping in general is more bespoke, and some people prefer that level of service. If you don’t like bespoke products, then hand stamping is not for you, and there is nothing wrong with that. The world would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same stuff.

That's the part I don't get right there..."more" bespoke? How so? It's the same thing, to a higher level of finish to engrave or mill the...whatever...into the putter. But at the end of the day it's just as "bespoke" (made to order) to do it either way.

If we all go to Augusta for the Masters, and there are racks of shirts with hand drawn (directly) on the shirt Masters logos, and racks with it machine embroidered, I'll bet most would take the machine embroidered.

We've, for the most part, moved way beyond "hand made" putters. None of these CNC putters are close to hand made. I still just don't get why we haven't also moved more modern in how we customize it. It's a real stretch to say that stamping makes a putter handmade, or even approaches hand made.

The way I read the definition for Bespoke is “made for a particular customer or user.” By using a method, such as hand stamping, that is not a mass production method, such as machine stamping/engraving, the creator is producing a more personalized product for the customer or user. No two hand stamps will ever be the same.