Anchoring Rule basically dead

rafal

Because all the people participating in GolfWRX follow the rules 100%, hahahahaha!

I hate anchoring, and I despise players who use the long putter and claim they are not anchoring, but come on.......

I can actually go either way on this. I don't mind the anchoring so much as people using a long putter and say they aren't anchoring it. Either get rid of the rule or fix it. I don't care I just hate adding gray area because there is already plenty of that in the rules.

That makes complete sense to me.

Which part? I can clarify a little by saying I don't have a problem with people anchoring before the rule change but not that it has changed I have a problem with them toeing the line. I'm sure over the course of a round you would find one of the long putter users break the rule at least once.

The Grey Area!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because all the people participating in GolfWRX follow the rules 100%, hahahahaha!

I hate anchoring, and I despise players who use the long putter and claim they are not anchoring, but come on.......

I can actually go either way on this. I don't mind the anchoring so much as people using a long putter and say they aren't anchoring it. Either get rid of the rule or fix it. I don't care I just hate adding gray area because there is already plenty of that in the rules.

Which part? I can clarify a little by saying I don't have a problem with people anchoring before the rule change but not that it has changed I have a problem with them toeing the line. I'm sure over the course of a round you would find one of the long putter users break the rule at least once.

The Grey Area!

Either erase it or clarify it. I would actually lean towards erasing the rule but if you're going to keep it add some putter parameters and enforce it.

I do the USGA rules seminar once every two years and take the test so I know the rules pretty well. I would love it if they would assign an official to every long putter user one year just to put the spotlight on them and call them when they anchor. It might shame a couple of them into following the rules.

I do the USGA rules seminar once every two years and take the test so I know the rules pretty well. I would love it if they would assign an official to every long putter user one year just to put the spotlight on them and call them when they anchor. It might shame a couple of them into following the rules.

If they held the putter 3" away from their chest you would still complain about something. That's what people like you do.

What evidence can you offer to back up your claim?

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

http://youtu.be/SMpns2J3JYo

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Getting rid of armlock and long putters.

Nothing defines a "putter". Any club in the bag can be used so that wont work. I thought you just said you attend USGA seminars, take the tests and know the rules?

The rules define clubs into 3 categories. Woods, irons, and putters. Read the rulebook if you don't think they define what a putter is.

None, however, it's like replacing the ball perfectly on the green after you've marked it. Mickelson took that one on and said he knows of a lot of guys who don't perfectly replace the ball on the green to avoid imperfections. I would be willing to bet that if you could get one of the long putter guys to be honest they would say at one point they anchored. It probably wasn't intentional but I would bet that they have done it.

I really think that if a rule is so hard to enforce and doesn't really prove to be an advantage they should get rid of it. This one is sort of in that realm but there are ways to fix it.

I also thought your post made complete sense--the part that the rule should either be abolished or altered so that there can be no grey area, no appearance of impropriety--also loved the part about hating guys using a long putter and claiming they aren't anchoring when the video evidence makes it clear that Scott and Langer both do, at least sometimes. The long putter didn't bother me much before the '16 rule, but the argument that controlling the fulcrum of the stroke historically has been a distinguishing skill is not utterly without merit--which is why the USGA R/A tried to address it.

I also don't think it's difficult to fix what irks a lot of us about a poorly written rule. You could: 1) abolish the rule as unenforceable. 2) Clarify the rule that in striking the golf ball only the player's hands may touch the grip of the club and that if the grip of the club touches anything but the hands (even clothing) during the stroke the player will incur a one shot penalty (this would be no more difficult to enforce than the grounding the club in bunkers/hazard rule has been--historically, a pretty straightforward rules call) 3) Re-write the rule this way: on the putting green the shortest club in a player's bag must be used and a player cannot split their hands on the grip in a putting stroke. (that one takes care of the arm lockers and all long putters. If someone can bend over enough to stick a 35 or 36 inch club in their belly, I say more power to them).

Abolishing is probably easiest, second approach is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear of a rule, and the third approach has the advantage of this being the way the game has been played for the vast majority of its history. I think 1 or 3 make the most sense.

I also thought your post made complete sense--the part that the rule should either be abolished or altered so that there can be no grey area, no appearance of impropriety--also loved the part about hating guys using a long putter and claiming they aren't anchoring when the video evidence makes it clear that Scott and Langer both do, at least sometimes. The long putter didn't bother me much before the '16 rule, but the argument that controlling the fulcrum of the stroke historically has been a distinguishing skill is not utterly without merit--which is why the USGA R/A tried to address it.

I also don't think it's difficult to fix what irks a lot of us about a poorly written rule. You could, in descending degree of difficulty 1) abolish the rule as unenforceable. 2) Clarify the rule that in striking the golf ball only the player's hands may touch the grip of the club and that if the grip of the club touches anything but the hands (even clothing) during the stroke the player will incur a one shot penalty (this would be no more difficult to enforce than the grounding the club in bunkers/hazard rule has been--historically, a pretty straightforward rules call) 3) Re-write the rule this way: on the putting green the shortest club in a player's bag must be used and a player cannot split their hands on the grip in a putting stroke. (that one takes care of the arm lockers and all long putter. If someone can bend over enough to stick a 35 or 36 inch club in their belly, I say more power to them).

If you go with 3 the rules take care of themselves if you just limit a putter to 36" and 5 degrees of loft. Unlike Rockinar's understanding of the rules they actually do define what a putter is and what it can be. Sure you could putt with a 1 iron but you'd have to put a round grip on it and it would still have to be a conforming iron. If a manufacturer tried to produce a long iron that could be used as a putter there are two rules that would keep it off the conforming list and at the end of the day the OEMs play ball with the USGA because they don't want to rock the boat and jeopardize any of their other clubs in regards to making it on the conforming list.

I really don't have anything against anchoring but it is a rule and it is annoying when people try to push it.

As far as evidence of breach goes David Hearn at the Wyndham was a good example. I noticed a sweat mark on his shirt exactly where the butt of his putter was. It looked like damning evidence but I suppose he could say the butt of his putter pressed his shirt against his body during a practice stroke but not during his actual stroke.

In typical USGA fashion it is a mess but with a lot of the new rules it seems like they're simplifying things (slightly).

None, however, it's like replacing the ball perfectly on the green after you've marked it. Mickelson took that one on and said he knows of a lot of guys who don't perfectly replace the ball on the green to avoid imperfections. I would be willing to bet that if you could get one of the long putter guys to be honest they would say at one point they anchored. It probably wasn't intentional but I would bet that they have done it.

I really think that if a rule is so hard to enforce and doesn't really prove to be an advantage they should get rid of it. This one is sort of in that realm but there are ways to fix it.

It's evident that you have little or no referee experience. There are several Rules which cannot be successfully managed from the comfort of your easy chair. R14-1b is only one of them. The ruling bodies and the pro tours seemingly have no difficulty with R14-1b.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

It's evident that you have little or no referee experience. There are several Rules which cannot be successfully managed from the comfort of your easy chair. R14-1b is only one of them. The ruling bodies and the pro tours seemingly have no difficulty with R14-1b.

I thought we were talking about the anchoring rule here?

I've actually got a lot of Officiating experience. I was formerly a PGA Class A-1 and I've been on a lot of Rules Committees including USGA Qualifiers.

If you want to have an overall rules discussion that's fine but I thought we were just addressing this one.

You're preaching to a guy who thinks the PGA Tour needs to have have officials single out specific players, follow them around and constantly harass them.

I've actually got a lot of Officiating experience. I was formerly a PGA Class A-1 and I've been on a lot of Rules Committees including USGA Qualifiers.

If you want to have an overall rules discussion that's fine but I thought we were just addressing this one.

R14-1b is the topic of this thread to be certain. Now, tell why you want to change this one Rule? It's not an outlier. From the fringe it's an easy task for the referee.

R14-1b is the topic of this thread to be certain. Now, tell why you want to change this one Rule? It's not an outlier. From the fringe it's an easy task for the referee.

I've said why it should be changed or abandoned several times.

You can call it the anchoring rule rather than trying to be cool calling it 14-1B. We all have google and we're not scared to use it.

I've said why it should be changed or abandoned several times.

You can call it the anchoring rule rather than trying to be cool calling it 14-1B. We all have google and we're not scared to use it.

I don't like asparagus, but I don't call for it being banned from the supermarket.

I don't like asparagus, but I don't call for it being banned from the supermarket.

I don't get the analogy.

I'm not for or against the rule so I'm not arguing that because I don't like asparagus it should be banned from the grocery store. As I've said, I can take this rule either way but it is really hard to enforce it the way it's written and there is a pretty easy way to make it more clear. My stance on this issue is abolish the rule or fix it. Don't really care either way but as it stands it's really dumb.

My guess is nothing will happen until someone wins with a long putter again. It's been controversial since day one but once someone wins with a broomstick it will come under scrutiny.

You're preaching to a guy who thinks the PGA Tour needs to have have officials single out specific players, follow them around and constantly harass them.

The Sr. Tour did it to Langer so I don't understand why you're implying that it is that far fetched.

I don't get the analogy.

I'm not for or against the rule so I'm not arguing that because I don't like asparagus it should be banned from the grocery store. As I've said, I can take this rule either way but it is really hard to enforce it the way it's written and there is a pretty easy way to make it more clear. My stance on this issue is abolish the rule or fix it. Don't really care either way but as it stands it's really dumb.

My guess is nothing will happen until someone wins with a long putter again. It's been controversial since day one but once someone wins with a broomstick it will come under scrutiny.

I assure that it's no more difficult to enforce than a handful of other Rules. You tout your position as a Committee member, but as you should know, there's a vast difference between having your name listed at the bottom of the CoC (a courtesy afforded the PGA professional at the host course) and being on the course for twelve hours a day making it happen.

I know, I'm the latter. I've spent years out there with a badge and a radio. Plenty of those days were watching old men with long putters. Anchoring vs not anchoring is a challenge but in no way more so than many other Rules which rely on the integrity of the player and the vigilance of their fellow-competitors.

I don't get the analogy.

I assure that it's no more difficult to enforce than a handful of other Rules. You tout your position as a Committee member, but as you should know, there's a vast difference between having your name listed at the bottom of the CoC (a courtesy afforded the PGA professional at the host course) and being on the course for twelve hours a day making it happen.

I know, I'm the latter. I've spent years out there with a badge and a radio. Plenty of those days were watching old men with long putters. Anchoring vs not anchoring is a challenge but in no way more so than many other Rules which rely on the integrity of the player and the vigilance of their fellow-competitors.

I agree with you that there are a lot of rules that rely on the player's integrity but we're talking about this one. The discussion in this thread is about this rule and your argument keeps going back to "there are a lot of rules like this". If you're interested in discussing those rules start a thread but this is kind of a discussion about the anchor ban being dead because it's unenforceable hence the title.

Thanks for taking your zero knowledge about my background, credentials, etc. and accusing me of knowing nothing more than a host club pro too.

I also don't think it's difficult to fix what irks a lot of us about a poorly written rule. You could: 1) abolish the rule as unenforceable. 2) Clarify the rule that in striking the golf ball only the player's hands may touch the grip of the club and that if the grip of the club touches anything but the hands (even clothing) during the stroke the player will incur a one shot penalty (this would be no more difficult to enforce than the grounding the club in bunkers/hazard rule has been--historically, a pretty straightforward rules call) 3) Re-write the rule this way: on the putting green the shortest club in a player's bag must be used and a player cannot split their hands on the grip in a putting stroke. (that one takes care of the arm lockers and all long putters. If someone can bend over enough to stick a 35 or 36 inch club in their belly, I say more power to them).

Abolishing is probably easiest, second approach is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear of a rule, and the third approach has the advantage of this being the way the game has been played for the vast majority of its history. I think 1 or 3 make the most sense.

Based on #2 you have a need to see older men in skin tight shirts? Interesting. Is this just a prurient interest or can you really not tell these guys are not anchoring?

I don't get the analogy.

I agree with you that there are a lot of rules that rely on the player's integrity but we're talking about this one. The discussion in this thread is about this rule and your argument keeps going back to "there are a lot of rules like this". If you're interested in discussing those rules start a thread but this is kind of a discussion about the anchor ban being dead because it's unenforceable hence the title.

Thanks for taking your zero knowledge about my background, credentials, etc. and accusing me of knowing nothing more than a host club pro too.

That you don't "like" the Rule is your prerogative. (Like me and asparagus.)

The ruling bodies like the Rule. In fact when you get around to 2019, you'll see that apart from some formatting, it's unchanged. The TV golf businesses don't seem to have a problem with R14-1b either.

I see Shilgy is a good ol’ troll. Your question is beneath me and undeserving of an answer. Get some class if you want to play with the big boys. Don’t be an idiot using personal attacks in an attempt of making a point. It makes you sound foolish and petty.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I don't get the analogy.

That you don't "like" the Rule is your prerogative. (Like me and asparagus.)

The ruling bodies like the Rule. In fact when you get around to 2019, you'll see that apart from some formatting, it's unchanged. The TV golf businesses don't seem to have a problem with R14-1b either.

That's because anchoring applies to such a small percentage, however, ask Brandel Chamblee how he likes it.

As I said earlier it will come under scrutiny the second someone wins with a long putter. I guarantee you that if Adam Scott wins the 2019 Masters with a long putter it will be the most discussed topic in golf. The only reason it isn't more main stream right now is that nobody cares about the Sr. Tour.

I see Shilgy is a good ol' troll. Your question is beneath me and undeserving of an answer. Get some class if you want to play with the big boys. Don't be an idiot using personal attacks in an attempt of making a point. It makes you sound foolish and petty.

The same sort of applies to sui. He has a badge and a gun, I mean a radio.

I haven’t really made a reasonable co tribution to this thread other than maybe being a smart aleck.

But

I can’t stand calling someone a cheater unless they’ve been caught cheating.

I’ve seen pictures of Langer taking a practice stroke used to define his cheating, and I know there have been players question the method of some long putter guys.

But, as was mentioned by another poster, Michelson took a step mentioning players marking the ball,

But Ibe not heard if PHil ever refused to sign a players card over it, or if he was overruled possibly.

What I do know, is if guys are turning a blind eye and Attesting someone’s score that they KNOW is anchoring (or breaking any rule for that matter),then they are just as guilty and need to be called out as well.

There is a huge difference in saying “ I believe so-and-so is anchoring”and he is a cheater

I see Shilgy is a good ol' troll. Your question is beneath me and undeserving of an answer. Get some class if you want to play with the big boys. Don't be an idiot using personal attacks in an attempt of making a point. It makes you sound foolish and petty.

The big boys? The big boys are playing on tour and would not risk their livelihood or reputation doing what you're accusing then of. But then they're not the ones behind a keyboard.

But yes, my point was made in a poor way.

If the rules are going to do away with anchoring, they should have done away with the arm lock putting as well.

They're unrelated.

"In adopting Rule 14-1b, the USGA and The R&A have concluded that freely swinging the

entire club is integral to maintaining the traditions of the game and preserving golf as an

enjoyable game of skill and challenge. The essence of the traditional method of golf stroke

involves the player swinging the club with both the club and the gripping hands being held

away from the body. The player’s challenge is to direct and control the movement of the entire

club in making the stroke."

https://www.usga.org...ion - FINAL.pdf

"In adopting Rule 14-1b, the USGA and The R&A have concluded that freely swinging the

entire club is integral to maintaining the traditions of the game and preserving golf as an

enjoyable game of skill and challenge.

That's an interesting quote you have highlighted. So even if guys are adept at holding the top hand in a firm position a fraction away from the body, I don't see how one could conclude that the entire club is freely swinging as the butt is remaining in a static position and just rotating a small amount. For the entire club to swing freely, all of it has to appreciably move away from the address position during the stroke. If the butt is held by whatever method in a fixed position, this will not be achieved as you are essentially creating a rotation point near the top of the shaft that does not swing at all, the putter is merely rotating around that fixed point.

Appreciate this is just the "mission statement" but it doesn't sit well with what was then drafted as 14-1b and been well debated here.

enjoyable game of skill and challenge.

That's an interesting quote you have highlighted. So even if guys are adept at holding the top hand in a firm position a fraction away from the body, I don't see how one could conclude that the entire club is freely swinging as the butt is remaining in a static position and just rotating a small amount. For the entire club to swing freely, all of it has to appreciably move away from the address position during the stroke. If the butt is held by whatever method in a fixed position, this will not be achieved as you are essentially creating a rotation point near the top of the shaft that does not swing at all, the putter is merely rotating around that fixed point.

Appreciate this is just the "mission statement" but it doesn't sit well with what was then drafted as 14-1b and been well debated here.

You deliberately omitted the second sentence in the USGA statement. :swoon: