Skycaddie SX500

Doesn't look like it does anything that Hole19/etc doesn't do for free. Even if you want to keep your cell phone off the course, you could literally buy a separate device to run the app for way cheaper than this.

Not sure why anyone is bothering.

Everyone to their own I guess. If Hole 19 or other similar solutions work well for you that's great.

In my case I have never seen the type of accuracy I want from a phone based system, regardless of the mapping used. In addition to that of course, most mapping solutions are not great given that they tend to be taken from satellite imagery. There are all sorts of ways to introduce inaccuracies that way. The additional effort that SkyGolf puts into their database makes a substantial difference in my experience. I hope the hardware/software combo in the SX500 proves every bit as useful and reliable as I expect given the performance I had from the several previous SkyCaddies I have owned.

We all will have different priorities when it comes to performance and price. For me the SX500 is exceptionally well priced assuming it delivers on the course as I expect it to. Time will tell....

This case does work as I stated above.

Note 8 screen protector from Spigen is also in place. Just need to cut length.

https://www.ebay.com...=item3b03731cba

https://shop.skygolf...all-travel.aspx

That's funny - I own that case too and when I tried it it seemed too tight to me. After your comment I tried it again and now I'm thinking it is probably good enough. Thanks! I'll get the other one anyway and try it out for comparison so folks have another good option to try.

The smaller Skycaddie (Touch) travel case is too small. I can’t quite get the zipper closed.

Here’s a shockproof and waterproof case in multiple colors that looks like it would work out well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YH1OUN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 223 4 iron thru GW

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Seemore Z Series Limited Edition Putter

Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour

Ecco Golf Shoes

Quick tip for anyone looking for a hard case to protect their SX500. Since Sky Golf currently does not offer a case, I spent some time digging around Amazon trying to find one that matched the SX500 size. I finally came across this:

https://www.amazon.c...Q7NAGMPUT&psc=1

It is a slim hard case designed to accommodate a battery pack measuring 6.1 x 3.1 x 0.5 inches. Turns out that is pretty much exactly the same as the SX500 so it should work well. I have one on order and I'll report back once I have it in hand.

I went ahead and ordered this one as well. The size of it seems perfect compared to the very bulky old case. Thank you for doing the leg work on that one!

Second round in and I left the laser in the bag to see if I would miss it. The answer was no. I really like how easy it is to use and get the info you need to determine your shot. The screen is fast to display. The inout is also fast with no delay like on the Touch. No errors or issues so far.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I use both the sky caddie (currently Touch) and laser during rounds. Especially helpful on courses that I don't play often. Decided to do the upgrade mainly for the larger screen (hopefully easier to see on these 75 year old eyes without having to resort to reading glasses).

Hoping mine ships this week.

Bruce

I just received mine about an hour ago and I have to say I am deeply impressed so far. Obviously I have not yet been able to take it on course, but first impressions of the hardware are well beyond anything I really expected. It feels very sturdy and substantial in hand. This is not a lightweight device and the ruggedized design gives me good confidence that it will last a long time.

The screen is what blew me away most however. It is bright, colorful and the resolution is very very crisp. It also seems like the processor in this thing is well up to the task. Playing around in the demo mode yields a very responsive and flexible UI. Dragging a yardage marker is simple and well executed. Pinch to zoom works very well, as does panning the map around with a single finger.

See some pics below for a first glimpse. I can't wait to get this on course. If the accuracy is what I have come to expect from SkyGolf devices, I'll be selling my Touch and G8 very soon :-)

I agree with all your statements. One thing that disappointed me was there wasn't a protective case provided with it.

I agree with all your statements. One thing that disappointed me was there wasn't a protective case provided with it.

It really does not need a protective case. The case is designed to take an impact. I had mine fall out of the cart mount Skycaddie sells to the cart path without a scratch. I would not recommend the cart mount available from Skycaddie. The side grips push in the mark and camera buttons when you tighten it to stay in place. Also at some point the side grips will loosen, causing the SX500 to drop when you hit a bump in the cart path. I am going to stick with the Caddie Buddy cart mount or Macally iPhone cup mount that I have.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Does the SX500 fit the "belt clip" that I use with the Touch?

I got a Caddy Buddy cart mount (pouch) for my laser (NX7 Pro that I got recently - replace old Bushnell that stopped working). I am famous for leaving the laser behind (especially on Par 3 tees). Having that pouch right in front of me makes me aware whether I have it or not. Now just have to get out of the habit of throwing it in a drink holder.

It really does not need a protective case. The case is designed to take an impact. I had mine fall out of the cart mount Skycaddie sells to the cart path without a scratch. I would not recommend the cart mount available from Skycaddie. The side grips push in the mark and camera buttons when you tighten it to stay in place. Also at some point the side grips will loosen, causing the SX500 to drop when you hit a bump in the cart path. I am going to stick with the Caddie Buddy cart mount or Macally iPhone cup mount that I have.

I'm using the SportX TekGrip and the clamps don't push on any buttons on the side of the SX500! Works great!

Very firm grip...highly recommended.

4584f17596672562f401be7c4cdd6638.jpg

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I'm using the SportX TekGrip and the clamps don't push on any buttons on the side of the SX500! Works great!

I will probably end up using the cap holder mount. I am having a place built in an Active Adult community in Florida and will be buying an EZ-GO RVX electric cart. I can keep it in there even when driving to the clubhouse or to pickup my mail.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I called yesterday asking about lead times from ordering to arrival at my door... They told me yesterday that they should be shipping out Aug 1st and 2nd orders today, and the initial pre-order rush tapered down a couple of days after the email blast. I ordered one because they "think" they might be able to get mine to me by Aug 24th... leaving home for World Am. Not holding my breath, but it would be nice to have for the Myrtle trip.

Thanks for making the call. Thought about doing the same.

I ordered 8/13.......I'll be happy if it's here by the end of next week. Ever the optimist I am.

I just called them to see if all the standing orders would be filled this week, and if so I would change my shipping to two day so I could take it on my golf trip next week.

Customer service told me that they think the in stock items sold out by the 14th, maybe 13th... anything sold on the website after 12th/13th is probably back ordered until mid September. not good news for my golf trip... looks like I'm sticking with my laser for a while.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Web Site says orders placed prior to 8/16 will ship in order received. After that is back ordered. I placed my order on the 14th, so here's hoping??

Asked earlier, but will the SX500 fit on the belt clip that works with the Touch?

No the SX500 does not have the button required for it to be used on the belt clip. This has been asked on the Skycaddie SX500 forum and response from them is that they are working on a belt clip solution.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I called yesterday asking about lead times from ordering to arrival at my door... They told me yesterday that they should be shipping out Aug 1st and 2nd orders today, and the initial pre-order rush tapered down a couple of days after the email blast. I ordered one because they "think" they might be able to get mine to me by Aug 24th... leaving home for World Am. Not holding my breath, but it would be nice to have for the Myrtle trip.

I ordered 8/13.......I'll be happy if it's here by the end of next week. Ever the optimist I am.

I just called them to see if all the standing orders would be filled this week, and if so I would change my shipping to two day so I could take it on my golf trip next week.

Customer service told me that they think the in stock items sold out by the 14th, maybe 13th... anything sold on the website after 12th/13th is probably back ordered until mid September. not good news for my golf trip... looks like I'm sticking with my laser for a while.

And customer service just called me back... looks like incomplete info was given earlier... anything ordered prior to the 16th will ship out by mid next week. No new Skycaddie SX500 to show off at the largest golf tourney in the world... but I will get it by Sep 02nd...

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

I just received that other case I mentioned earlier from Amazon. Again for reference:

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01N2YL4ZW

Basically, the SX500 fits pretty much perfectly in this one. The SkyGolf case pictured below does have more padding, but the SX500 is up against the zipper when installed so I would wonder if the sides might get scratched a little over time. Not a big deal either way I guess. Something I really like about the Hermit Shell case is how slim it is. You can clearly see the difference in the pics below.

If I could change one thing with the Hermit Shell, it would be a little more padding on the inside. Realistically I don't think it would make much difference when it comes to protecting the SkyCaddie as the insides are lined with a nice velour and the outside is a quite rigid shell so I can't imagine it getting damaged without very poor handling. One side of the case also has an elasticated web which accommodates the SX500 nicely and should prevent it from banging around in what little space remains.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Hermit Shell and I'll be using it mostly due to the slimmer profile. Should fit in the bag more easily.

I just received that other case I mentioned earlier from Amazon. Again for reference:

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01N2YL4ZW

Basically, the SX500 fits pretty much perfectly in this one. The SkyGolf case pictured below does have more padding, but the SX500 is up against the zipper when installed so I would wonder if the sides might get scratched a little over time. Not a big deal either way I guess. Something I really like about the Hermit Shell case is how slim it is. You can clearly see the difference in the pics below.

If I could change one thing with the Hermit Shell, it would be a little more padding on the inside. Realistically I don't think it would make much difference when it comes to protecting the SkyCaddie as the insides are lined with a nice velour and the outside is a quite rigid shell so I can't imagine it getting damaged without very poor handling. One side of the case also has an elasticated web which accommodates the SX500 nicely and should prevent it from banging around in what little space remains.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Hermit Shell and I'll be using it mostly due to the slimmer profile. Should fit in the bag more easily.

Thanks for the review. I just ordered this case for myself. I too have the old skycaddie case and yes it works for the new SX500, but it is quite bulky, takes up too much room in golf bag, and the device is a very snug fit. I like the slim profile of the case you found. Thanks!!!

Put the bottom legs down and it will press in the mark and camera buttons when you try to get the side holders tight. I would not even think of driving in a cart without the bottom legs down. It would fall from the holder very easily.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Put the bottom legs down and it will press in the mark and camera buttons when you try to get the side holders tight. I would not even think of driving in a cart without the bottom legs down. It would fall from the holder very easily.

No need to use the legs.

It is super tight!

Works for me very well...try it.

Need to tighten by pressing the clamps together firmly.

If any worries about it moving, put some Velcro on the face of the holder and back of the SX500 and slap them together....it won't be moving until it is pulled apart.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

No need to use the legs.

It is super tight!

Works for me very well...try it.

Need to tighten by pressing the clamps together firmly.

Last night I tried to tighten it has tight as could and started lightly shaking it like it was on a cart. The lock grabbing the teeth would start releasing causing the SX500 to become loose and eventually drop out. Fortunately I tried that so it would drop a short distance on to a carpet not a concrete cart path.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Press the clamps together at the base of the clamps for a super tight hold. Do not clamp together at the top of the clamp...will be too loose.

Any problems use the Velcro as suggested.

Sorry I can't figure out how to post the actual Amazon link but this is the item description for the mount that I've used for the last year and a half or so to hold my iPhone 8S Plus and it has worked extremely well. Since the SX500 is slightly smaller than my phone (6" X 3" SX500 vs. 6.25" X 3.07 iPhone") it should work just fine and I see no need to look any further.

RAM Mounts (RAM-B-166-UN10U) Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount with Universal X-Grip Iv Large Phone/Phablet Holder

Hope this helps someone.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Press the clamps together at the base of the clamps for a super tight hold. Do not clamp together at the top of the clamp...will be too loose.

I use a push cart and don't experience the potential jarring that a ride cart can experience. So, I took the holder and with SX500 clamped in place banged it on the floor several times and did find it loosen up some but did not fall out.

So, for those that will be riding, use the Velcro strip to secure the SX500 to the holder.

I use a push cart and don't experience the potential jarring that a ride cart can experience. So, I took the holder and with SX500 clamped in place banged it on the floor several times and did find it loosen up some but did not fall out.

So, for those that will be riding, use the Velcro strip to secure the SX500 to the holder.

Fortunately I have the Caddie Buddy cart mount and Macally Cup Holder mount, so I have plenty of options. And Velcro would definitely work in keeping in place if the grips loosen.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I use the Scosche Magic Mount for our iPhone 8+ in both our SUV's and have been using same mount with the Touch the last year or so. I tried it with the new SX500 and works perfectly for me. I just put the suction mount on the cart lower windshield near the cart frame to restrict a lot of movement and stuck the metal plate on rear of SX500. The magnets are really strong and have tested 3 rounds with no problems whatsoever. I can easily pull off and walk it to tee boxes or cart path only fairways then stick right back on the magnet. It may not be for everyone, but works for me and not expensive at all.

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-MAGWSM2-MagicMount-Universal-Magnetic/dp/B00R2K4LCY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534858711&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=scosche+magic+mount&psc=1

Sportx Tekgrip Special Order LOCKR

This is designed to lock your Clamps in place without them becoming loosened under the the most severe jarring conditions.

Yeah, very special custom designed piece this LOCKR!

:)

Fits in the right side in the hole above the clamp leg....just shove it in place.

Place the SX500 in place, clamp down and your SX500 nor clamps willcome loose....guaranteed or your money back!!

Need to remove the SX500? Just pull the LOCKR and then touch the release...done.

Place the LOCKR in place prior to reclamping.

Yes, it works.1e8e603b38da31bb5c8cca2c2ff64d0c.jpgb4b846730e638e4b23797fd32d17a38f.jpg

Sportx Tekgrip Special Order LOCKR

This is designed to lock your Clamps in place without them becoming loosened under the the most severe jarring conditions.

Yeah, very special custom designed piece this LOCKR!

:)

Fits in the right side in the hole above the clamp leg....just shove it in place.

Place the SX500 in place, clamp down and your SX500 nor clamps willcome loose....guaranteed or your money back!!

Need to remove the SX500? Just pull the LOCKR and then touch the release...done.

Place the LOCKR in place prior to reclamping.

Yes, it works.1e8e603b38da31bb5c8cca2c2ff64d0c.jpgb4b846730e638e4b23797fd32d17a38f.jpg

You better patent it quick. I think you are looking at big bucks there.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Hell I'm still waiting on my Pre-Order of Aug 2nd :(. Anyone ordered Aug 1 or 2 got there's yet, or a shipping email even?

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2