Why does Bryson DeChambeau stand so close to ball, with 10 deg up irons?

I read all I can, lots of info about him using a single plane swing, similar to Moe Norman in many ways. Also lots of chatter about his single length irons, originally by Edel, more recently from Cobra. I get all that, and yesterday had a 2.5 hour lesson on single plane from a Kirk Junge certified instructor. The single plane logic, I am a fan of at this point. Not sold on single length clubs yet. But main thing that Bryson does that intrigues me is standing so upright with 10 deg up irons. Is the steep swing plane desired for a specific reason? Tighter shot dispersion?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More upright you swing the easier it is to hit it straight. Less timing and face manipulation involved in my opinion.

As in the face can stay square for much much longer through the ball if done correctly. Exact opposite is a really flat swing where the club isn’t goin down the line toward the target but a short period in the swing. So timing is much much more important.

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Thanks man, that is interesting. Im 6’6” so may look into this further. Took a single plane swing lesson yesterday and was highly impressed. Now rethinking my club fit and grip size. I think I know why Bryson is using those baseball bat sized grips now. My clubs are 2” over and 2 deg up, might test one at shorter length and more upright lie.

More upright you swing the easier it is to hit it straight. Less timing and face manipulation involved in my opinion.

As in the face can stay square for much much longer through the ball if done correctly. Exact opposite is a really flat swing where the club isn't goin down the line toward the target but a short period in the swing. So timing is much much more important.

More upright doesn't mean a thing to the face, only the radius of the path, which is really minimal

As in the face can stay square for much much longer through the ball if done correctly. Exact opposite is a really flat swing where the club isn't goin down the line toward the target but a short period in the swing. So timing is much much more important.

More upright doesn't mean a thing to the face, only the radius of the path, which is really minimal

Lol missed my point . Point is that the area where the club face is traveling at the target is much longer than when you’re very flat. And it isn’t very minimal if you’re comparing very flat to very upright. If you’re swing exits low left then you have much less of a window of time of the face being square to target or path. In an upright case path is usually at target hitting a straight ball. . Gauge this by length of divot. A really upright guy who’s good will have a divot twice as long as a flat guy who’s good. The flat guy can’t stay down in it that long or he’d draw a half moon.

All my opinion based of my swing and what I see from others who are different but good players

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

he also launches everything moon high

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra F6 Baffler  16 Atmos 7
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Atmos 7
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Nike VaporProCombo 4-AW DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

It remains to be seen if his swing (whether you like it or not) will last. His body seems to be breaking down already.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

6cab1392_oneplane2.jpeg

His swing looks like it has changed from what it used to be IMO. It used to be more neutral at the top, like the picture above. Now when I see him swing it looks much more across the line with very little [email protected], making it look very stiff and armsy.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50*, 54*, 58* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125
Odessey White Hot #5

You’ll have to find the plane that suits you through trial and error. I’ve tried flat like Graves, up like Bryson, and have settled in at normal lie angles on irons, and upright on woods. One set of my irons has been bent so many times that I’m afraid to do any more on them, lol.

Yes, big grips help. Did you get your lesson from the guy in SC?

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I read all I can, lots of info about him using a single plane swing, similar to Moe Norman in many ways. Also lots of chatter about his single length irons, originally by Edel, more recently from Cobra. I get all that, and yesterday had a 2.5 hour lesson on single plane from a Kirk Junge certified instructor. The single plane logic, I am a fan of at this point. Not sold on single length clubs yet. But main thing that Bryson does that intrigues me is standing so upright with 10 deg up irons. Is the steep swing plane desired for a specific reason? Tighter shot dispersion?

People believe that his swing plane is upright, but it isn't. His plane is 63 degrees, same as the lie angle on an 8-iron.

People believe that his swing plane is upright, but it isn't. His plane is 63 degrees, same as the lie angle on an 8-iron.

I read his irons were 10 degrees upright. Several sources. Maybe he has changed, not sure.

You’ll have to find the plane that suits you through trial and error. I’ve tried flat like Graves, up like Bryson, and have settled in at normal lie angles on irons, and upright on woods. One set of my irons has been bent so many times that I’m afraid to do any more on them, lol.

Yes, big grips help. Did you get your lesson from the guy in SC?

Not sure who guy in SC is, let me know if you will. I saw a Kirk Junge certified instructor Tony Griffin in Sanford,NC. He can be contacted on Kirks website, thats where I heard about him, Kirk is in Germany, winters in Florida. Sanford just happens to be near me, dumb luck thats where a single plane instructor was found, he called after my email and we mer hours later. Sanford is about twenty miles east of Pinehurst. Honestly, I went into this lesson with little to go on, just saw a few single plane youtube videos mainly. I left with impression that my best golf is ahead of me.

I've never been able to understand why Bryson's clubs are 70+ degrees lie angle because when I draw a line on the screen of his impact position, it is more like 63 degrees as noted above.

Yes, sorry, NC, not SC.

Diamondtourgolf sells a +1/4 super jumbo grip for cheap, if that interests you. I don't know which JumboMax that equals.

M4 Driver D-type

58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

Lol missed my point . Point is that the area where the club face is traveling at the target is much longer than when you're very flat. And it isn't very minimal if you're comparing very flat to very upright. If you're swing exits low left then you have much less of a window of time of the face being square to target or path. In an upright case path is usually at target hitting a straight ball. . Gauge this by length of divot. A really upright guy who's good will have a divot twice as long as a flat guy who's good. The flat guy can't stay down in it that long or he'd draw a half moon.

All my opinion based of my swing and what I see from others who are different but good players

Low left exit means you are using your body and arms more to rotate it and not your hands which to me means a much slower rate of closure. If what you say is true then Ben Hogan was a true virtuoso as he was quite flat.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

I've often wondered if the report about Bryson's irons being upright is just an error that gets repeated over and over as fact. His irons certainly don't look 10 degrees upright.

I've noted in previous posts that there are two definitions of "single plane": 1) club is same plane at address as at impact and 2) club is on the same plane at the top as at impact. Bryson is the only player I know who satisfies both criteria. He doesn't claim any particular heritage back to Moe Norman. The only reference I've ever heard him mention is a certain section of the TGM book.

With respect to clubs, my experience is that single plane and single length work very naturally together.

I've often wondered if the report about Bryson's irons being upright is just an error that gets repeated over and over as fact. His irons certainly don't look 10 degrees upright.

I've noted in previous posts that there are two definitions of "single plane": 1) club is same plane at address as at impact and 2) club is on the same plane at the top as at impact. Bryson is the only player I know who satisfies both criteria. He doesn't claim any particular heritage back to Moe Norman. The only reference I've ever heard him mention is a certain section of the TGM book.

With respect to clubs, my experience is that single plane and single length work very naturally together.

From 2 years ago.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-zealot-bryson-dechambeau

His irons look 10* up to me. They actually look totally unhittable in close ups that I’ve seen.

From 2 years ago.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-zealot-bryson-dechambeau

His irons look 10* up to me. They actually look totally unhittable in close ups that I’ve seen.

Like yesterday!

^^^ He was leading after 54. I think he needs a therapist, more so than any swing assistance. Back to back emotional melt downs is what I saw, at British Open on practice tee, then last few holes yesterday. The kid can play, period. Too much success and fame at early age, happens to many. Maybe he will mature a bit this season. I certainly wasnt the best version of myself at 23 years old. Lol

Zero shift motion in chapter 10 of TGM, per Bryson. His coach gave him the book in high school.

As for single length clubs, I am a bit curious also, can see where it may play nice with a single plane swing. Just started learning single plane but my enthusiasm is growing fast after my 2.5 hour lesson Sat. Most solid shots I have hit. Edel, Sterling, Cobra, what might you suggest? Thanks

^^^ He was leading after 54. I think he needs a therapist, more so than any swing assistance. Back to back emotional melt downs is what I saw, at British Open on practice tee, then last few holes yesterday. The kid can play, period. Too much success and fame at early age, happens to many. Maybe he will mature a bit this season. I certainly wasnt the best version of myself at 23 years old. Lol

Zero shift motion in chapter 10 of TGM, per Bryson. His coach gave him the book in high school.

As for single length clubs, I am a bit curious also, can see where it may play nice with a single plane swing. Just started learning single plane but my enthusiasm is growing fast after my 2.5 hour lesson Sat. Most solid shots I have hit. Edel, Sterling, Cobra, what might you suggest? Thanks

I've used both Sterling and Cobra, and I prefer the latter.

It remains to be seen if his swing (whether you like it or not) will last. His body seems to be breaking down already.

The dude just cracked the 25 in world rankings. He holds amateur records that 99.9999999999% of other amateur golfers in the world has never achieved and accomplished what 99.98% of pro golfers have never achieved.

I'd say say his clubs and swing have proven themselves even if it all collapses tomorrow.

Lol

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

4 wood: PXG Gen2 16* (set 17.5); Hzardus Red 80x

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 20.5): Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x

Irons: I have set up NIKE Vapor Pro Combos, PXGs, Mizuno MP59s, and Titleist 716 

Wedges: Scratch 50 (bent to 47*), 53* (bent to 51*), 58* (bent to 57*)

Maltby 60* bent to 63*; with a custom grind 

Putter: YES! Tracy Tour 36 inches Super Stroke GP Tour

The dude just cracked the 25 in world rankings. He holds amateur records that 99.9999999999% of other amateur golfers in the world has never achieved and accomplished what 99.98% of pro golfers have never achieved.

I'd say say his clubs and swing have proven themselves even if it all collapses tomorrow.

After his meltdowns last week, one has to wonder if "The Brain" will implode before the swing. Pretty sure he saw his Ryder Cup chances vanish on Sunday.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Do the oversized grips in conjunction with the repeatable swing plane also allow him to square the face on a more consistent basis?

By his own words, yes. Saw several Youtube videos, interviews. One is with Jumbomax guy and he spoke of better club head control with these grips. I had two put on today to test, medium and large, from trial pack they sell. Bigger than my normal jumbo grips, but not drastically so. Feels good with grip more in palms than fingers I am trying now as I pursue single plane swing from Kirk Junge. Setup 4 Impact is his Youtube series.

Do the oversized grips in conjunction with the repeatable swing plane also allow him to square the face on a more consistent basis?

In my case, the oversize grips encourage the proper trail hand grip, which is pretty much in the palm rather than the fingers. When I use a smaller grip, there are gaps between my palm and the club.

M4 Driver D-type

58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

Seems to me the main reason his irons are so upright is that he holds the clubs more in the palm, not in the fingers. This raises the plane of the shaft, by probably 5 degrees or so. If you look at his address position, the butt of the club for most people points at about your belt buckle, with Bryson it points more at his chest. His left arm and the shaft are on the same plane at address almost. He actually stands a good distance from the ball.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3