Lob Wedges, what are they good for?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scoring. They are good for scoring.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "lobbing".   Serious answer, it depends on what you need it for. Some people use a lob wedge for most stuff around the green, others for emergencies. Some people (my

You shouldn’t be trying to get under the ball, therein lies the issue. You should be hitting the back of the ball, slightly downwards and trusting the loft to do its job.

I've used a 58-62 for over 20 years. Learn to use your body to turn and less arms when chipping, and you're good to go. The problem is too many of us want to use our arms too much - there is a time for everything. I will hinge the 60 a bit around the green to give it a low pop that will hit, bite and roll a couple of feet.

When chippin' off the green - turn your body with weight on front foot.

I use it for 60 yds and in depending on height I want and the green.

Bunker shots, shots from the rough. It's great. I tend to think about the 56 before the 60 and I have different grinds on both - so I have choices.

I looked at the K grind and will give it serious consideration ... when I have a Bandon Dunes Trip or play links style courses with hard ground. I'd have to adjust to a more shallow approach and I'm fairly neutral now -- It's a wide sole, low bounce club. Wish Titleist had demos of it because I typically do not like wide sole wedges.

Thanks for all the information. You are definitely correct and I use my arms a lot in chipping. I also have a very shallow approach already so anything with a lot of bounce is really hard for me to control. I know they are supposed to be more forgiving but for me they just do not work well. The K grind feels as if it glides on top of the ground and makes perfect contact even with my swing so it was just a really nice feeling to be able to go after a shot and not worry about blading it.

First thing you need to do is to learn not to use your wrists and arms, your only turn should be through your torso and keeping the V as much as you can throughout the swing. If you do this then you’ll not blade anything.

I appreciate all of the input and I am trying to work on my wedge game. Maybe it is just a confidence thing but I have not bladed a ball this year it’s just always in the back of my head as a worry. Having the wide sole and the low bounce I just felt like was pb&j. Those two things together just work. I feel like on a full swing bounce is awesome but on touch shots from within 60 yards it just makes it harder for a shallow swinger to get under the ball effectively. That is probably wrong but that’s just how I feel when I swing the different types of wedges.

I appreciate all of the input and I am trying to work on my wedge game. Maybe it is just a confidence thing but I have not bladed a ball this year it’s just always in the back of my head as a worry. Having the wide sole and the low bounce I just felt like was pb&j. Those two things together just work. I feel like on a full swing bounce is awesome but on touch shots from within 60 yards it just makes it harder for a shallow swinger to get under the ball effectively. That is probably wrong but that’s just how I feel when I swing the different types of wedges.

You shouldn’t be trying to get under the ball, therein lies the issue. You should be hitting the back of the ball, slightly downwards and trusting the loft to do its job.

• Like 1

Mine gets used for pretty much everything inside 70 yards or so, unless a special shot is needed. It and my driver are my two favorite clubs. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Hit just two shots with my new 64* Mack Daddy 4 today, both over bunkers from about 35 yards with about 5y of green to work with in between. Both hit square, beautifully judged and stopped very quickly for par saves. Both would have been impossible without an open face on anything less than a 60*.

That is the benefit of a high degree wedge, on most occasions it stops the need to open the face and hit a higher risk shot. Just a smooth halfswing, stance slightly open, no leg movement but with a nice torso follow-through.

80 yards and in, shorter bunker shots and advancing the ball toward the target when I have a tall object in the way. My favorite club.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Driver - Cobra Fly Z with Oban red[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Wood - Adams 16*[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Hybrid - Calloway X2 Hot Pro 19*[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 4 Iron - Hogan Ft Worth Hi - KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Irons - 5-PW - Miura 1957 BB - Nippon Pro 1050GH - R Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Wedge 51* - Hogan TK [/size][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Wedges 55* & 59* - Miura 1957 C Grind - KBS Wedge - S Flex[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] Putter - DeLaCruz CP-2[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]

They are good for fluffing it slipping the bounce under the ball and then the ball traveling 6 inches in the air and back down in it's original lie.

It’s possible, but I’d almost never use a lob wedge for a shot really near the green or a bump and run. Also if it’s sitting up then another club is almost certainly a better choice.

The purpose of a lob wedge is to cut a solid piece of turf and land it as close to the hole as possible. This is known as beaver tailing

TS3 8.5° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

915F 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

915F 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

716 CB 2-PW - DG X7

SM6 50°, 54° & 58° - DG X1

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                           Coming:         

ProV1X                                                                   Heads - TSi3 9.0, TSi2 13.5, TSi2 18, T100 4-PW. SM8 50,54,58      Shafts - Tensei AV RAW White 65-75-85TX, MMT 125 TX

for golfers with a slow swing speed or who are higher than an 8 handicap, not much

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

I use mine for going up and over trees and bunkers. But my favorite way to use it is a low, spinning pitch or chip from the back of my stance. Nothing better than a shot that gets 3ft off the ground and one hop stops near the pin.

Titleist 917D3 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65s 9.5

Cobra F9 Tour Fujikara Atmos Blue TS 7s 13.5

Cobra F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85s 17.5

Titleist 816H2 Fujikara Motore Speeder TS HB 8.8s 21

Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 4-pw PX LZ 6.0

Cleaveland Rtx4 50,56 Dynamic Gold TI S400

Maltby Ptm-4

Srixon Zstar

for golfers with a slow swing speed or who are higher than an 8 handicap, not much

Me personally, a lob wedge would be the very first club I'd give to a beginner or a very high handicap golfer. There's just so much more that can be done with that one club than any other club in the bag and it's not even close. And I believe it can really open one up to how incredibly creative this game can be. For me personally, it made me fall in love with the short game.

A sixty and a putter was the first club I put in kids' hands when he was about 9 years old. He learned to use it and fell in love trying to get it up and down all around the practice green. 2 years later I introduced him to the bump'n'run and the chip'n'run and his eyes lit up again. These days he just aims at the flag stick with zero respect for hazards and pin placements because he doesn't fear missing the green and having to get it up and down.

Here's the link to an old pic. https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

I fall into this category.

My LW has a low bounce and my SW has a medium bounce so I have options and versatility around the greens.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "lobbing".

Serious answer, it depends on what you need it for. Some people use a lob wedge for most stuff around the green, others for emergencies. Some people (myself included) like you use a very different type of grind on a lob wedge for utility purposes. Its all about your game and what you need it to do.

I fall into this category.

My LW has a low bounce and my SW has a medium bounce so I have options and versatility around the greens.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "lobbing".

Serious answer, it depends on what you need it for. Some people use a lob wedge for most stuff around the green, others for emergencies. Some people (myself included) like you use a very different type of grind on a lob wedge for utility purposes. Its all about your game and what you need it to do.

This is exactly where I am going to end up. I like the options each club provides!

For me it is a lot of 70 yards and less from the fairway and rough. I do a lot of pitching and bunker play with it. Sometimes chip depending on the room I have to run it. I recently went to 47/54/60 and have found much more comfort.

47-130

54-110

60-85

I try to never have a full 60, and opt for more partial 54* shots. I will hit the 54 for long bunker shots, long pitches, and some chips. The lob is essential for me since it’s my lowest wedge.

I've used a 58-62 for over 20 years. Learn to use your body to turn and less arms when chipping, and you're good to go. The problem is too many of us want to use our arms too much - there is a time for everything. I will hinge the 60 a bit around the green to give it a low pop that will hit, bite and roll a couple of feet.

Bunker shots, shots from the rough. It's great. I tend to think about the 56 before the 60 and I have different grinds on both - so I have choices.

I looked at the K grind and will give it serious consideration ... when I have a Bandon Dunes Trip or play links style courses with hard ground. I'd have to adjust to a more shallow approach and I'm fairly neutral now -- It's a wide sole, low bounce club. Wish Titleist had demos of it because I typically do not like wide sole wedges.

Thanks for all the information. You are definitely correct and I use my arms a lot in chipping. I also have a very shallow approach already so anything with a lot of bounce is really hard for me to control. I know they are supposed to be more forgiving but for me they just do not work well. The K grind feels as if it glides on top of the ground and makes perfect contact even with my swing so it was just a really nice feeling to be able to go after a shot and not worry about blading it.

OP - only you can decide if that "nice feeling" is worth the $. There are other nice low-bounce options (Vokey L is one) that cost less, especially used.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

I have a 58. I don't see the point of a lob wedge more than that. I played only a 56 for 10 yrs? Something like that. I learned how to use wedges by manipulating the face open closed hooded, etc. With the right wedge in hand, almost any shot available from most any lie. Just have to be smooth and agressive. Sure, I've missed a few, but went to MORE bounce, even as a good wedge player and I do very well with it. Alot of heel and to relief and great design, I can do anything with either of my wedges.

PING G425 LST 10* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G425 Max 5Wd 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING G425 Max 7Wd 20* Fuji Motore F3 70

PING i500 3-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 46* DVR/52* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

OP - only you can decide if that "nice feeling" is worth the $. There are other nice low-bounce options (Vokey L is one) that cost less, especially used.

I actually picked up a used Vokey K grind low bounce in really good shape for less than half of a new one so pretty pumped about that! Best of both worlds!

As of 8/3/18 it looks like the OP edited the post and now asking about which LW to get. Looks like the thread title question was answered.

In case it wasn't answered: if you have never been short sided; played very very fast greens where your pitch/chip ran out too much even though you tried everything to make it stop; been in a bunker with a lip above your head; or had the yips on throttled down wedge shots than you don't need a LW.