My search for a driving iron continues...

Joelsim

...and hopefully this time it’ll be sorted.

I had a Ping G Crossover which was sometimes great and sometimes unreliable.

The G400 Crossover was a bit better but still lost confidence with it.

A Cobra Black Utility One Length was next, but again the same problem with consistency.

So I’ve just ordered a G400 4 Iron in power spec loft (19*) which matches my iron set, apart from the rest of them being normal lofts. I never have a problem hitting my irons so with a bit of luck this will fill the 200y + spot off the tee for tight holes and short holes. For whatever reason I don’t seem to like hitting hollow-bodied irons.

Fingers crossed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been an issue with the head or maybe the shaft? I know everyone talks about the differences in the heads but I have found better success in finding a shaft that works.

I have played UDI, RSI UDI, P790 UDI, TMB, 712U, U65, Cobra U iron, ping rapture, and probably missed a few.. but they really all performed similar. Sure, feel and appearances were different, but as an above average ball striker they did much of the same. The main difference I found was that I did not like steel, but preferred an 85-95 gram graphite shaft. Once I dialed that in, I had much more success.

I have harped for the past year to make sure the shaft fits the shots you need to hit. I had ZERO success building my driving iron to be like a pros (low spin low launch) and finally built it to be more of a mid launch low spin and have been much more successful since. Just my opinion.

The P790 udi is the only one I have hit and it is a laser beam. I could never hit a fairway wood consistently and this has been awesome. What is your miss? My miss with it is a bit to the right but if I open my stance just a bit it stays true. I am guessing because of the smaller amount of offset compared to my AP1s but it works so far. I think identifying your miss helps to understand where to start.

Has it been an issue with the head or maybe the shaft? I know everyone talks about the differences in the heads but I have found better success in finding a shaft that works.

I have played UDI, RSI UDI, P790 UDI, TMB, 712U, U65, Cobra U iron, ping rapture, and probably missed a few.. but they really all performed similar. Sure, feel and appearances were different, but as an above average ball striker they did much of the same. The main difference I found was that I did not like steel, but preferred an 85-95 gram graphite shaft. Once I dialed that in, I had much more success.

I have harped for the past year to make sure the shaft fits the shots you need to hit. I had ZERO success building my driving iron to be like a pros (low spin low launch) and finally built it to be more of a mid launch low spin and have been much more successful since. Just my opinion.

I’ve no idea what the cause is. I hit my G400 irons brilliantly, I’d say 95% hit very well. I hit my hybrids well although I can sometimes block one left, same with the 3 Wood. I hit my wedges superbly well.

But for the life of me I can’t hit a driving iron well, almost half of the shots I make with all of those that I’ve tried, feel like I’ve hit a stone instead of a ball, the upshot being a crappy shot about PW distance off to the right. I put my 5 Iron on the tee and it soars like an eagle.

The P790 udi is the only one I have hit and it is a laser beam. I could never hit a fairway wood consistently and this has been awesome. What is your miss? My miss with it is a bit to the right but if I open my stance just a bit it stays true. I am guessing because of the smaller amount of offset compared to my AP1s but it works so far. I think identifying your miss helps to understand where to start.

Pretty sure it’s a toe. Miss typically about 130 yards and 25 degrees right. Should be getting nearly 100y more than that, and do sometimes. But I just can’t trust one to perform so I don’t like using them. Hence my thinking with the strong 4 of irons I know I can hit well.

Just my 2 cents if you care for different feedback...

I've never been great at hitting driving irons and I think some of that is due to my mind making it more difficult than it needs to be, but I just couldn't reliably swing it. I moved over to the Ping G Series 3H hybrid, and it filled the gap in my bag perfectly with very consistent ball striking and distance.

Have you tried any hybrids or is that a club you're just wanting to avoid?

Thanks all for your help.

The main thing here that I’ve neglected to mention, is that off the tee is the part of the game that I struggle the most with. I don’t know why, but I’m far more comfortable/better hitting woods and hybrids off the turf than the tee. Hell, I could hit the Ping Crossover way better off the ground. I am pretty decent, however, off the tee with my G400 irons for some reason.

So, this club really is about a fall-back position when I get the teeing blues. I reckon my tee shots cost me 10 strokes per round, if I have a round where I keep my tee shots in play I invariably score <80.

Pretty sure it’s a toe. Miss typically about 130 yards and 25 degrees right. Should be getting nearly 100y more than that, and do sometimes. But I just can’t trust one to perform so I don’t like using them. Hence my thinking with the strong 4 of irons I know I can hit well.

If you are losing 100 yards due to a toed shot I think it’s more of a “swing thing.” I tend to lose more distance on a heel vs toe hit, unless it’s just an awful swing. I find most clubs now a days go farther with a slight toe strike especially the longer clubs.

I know this is all hypothetical since we don’t see you play. I don’t think too much about how I try to “strike” my driving iron, but I tend to play it more like an iron and do take small divots or just light grass when I hit it.

Please Forgive me if this comes off sounding like a criticism or a slight. It is definitely not meant to.

I was a teaching pro and a master club fitter in the 90’s so I speak from some experience.

Driving irons have become popular because many Tour players are now using them. MOST amateurs should NOT be using them. They are not easy to hit in comparison to a hybrid or fairway wood and they do not have enough loft for most swings or club head speeds.

I have never seen your swing, but from your posts I gather you should not be trying to use a driving iron. Again....no offense intended.

As a very general rule....that of course will always have exceptions...., driving irons are strongly geared toward lower handicap high swing speed players. Unless you can consistently carry a driving iron 220+ yards through the air at least 90% + of the time you hit it, it’s safe to say you should not be using one.

Driving irons are a great example of the pros using something totally unsuited for most amateurs but the amateurs want one anyway.....because that’s what the pros use.

Please Forgive me if this comes off sounding like a criticism or a slight. It is definitely not meant to.

I was a teaching pro and a master club fitter in the 90’s so I speak from some experience.

Driving irons have become popular because many Tour players are now using them. MOST amateurs should NOT be using them. They are not easy to hit in comparison to a hybrid or fairway wood and they do not have enough loft for most swings or club head speeds.

I have never seen your swing, but from your posts I gather you should not be trying to use a driving iron. Again....no offense intended.

As a very general rule....that of course will always have exceptions...., driving irons are strongly geared toward lower handicap high swing speed players. Unless you can consistently carry a driving iron 220+ yards through the air at least 90% + of the time you hit it, it’s safe to say you should not be using one.

Driving irons are a great example of the pros using something totally unsuited for most amateurs but the amateurs want one anyway.....because that’s what the pros use.

I think that’s the conclusion I’ve got to in my own head! Hence the 4 Iron rather than a hollow, built-for-purpose DI. If I can get to 75% good shots rather than 50% then I’ll be moving in the right direction.

The main thing here that I’ve neglected to mention, is that off the tee is the part of the game that I struggle the most with. I don’t know why, but I’m far more comfortable/better hitting woods and hybrids off the turf than the tee. Hell, I could hit the Ping Crossover way better off the ground. I am pretty decent, however, off the tee with my G400 irons for some reason.

So, this club really is about a fall-back position when I get the teeing blues. I reckon my tee shots cost me 10 strokes per round, if I have a round where I keep my tee shots in play I invariably score <80.

My off the tee game is a big problem too and my driving iron while great is not my fallback option. I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective in that case as you have already lost confidence in that round off the tee and I am guessing your swing is tentative at that point if you are anything like me and just frustrated. When I started using a driving iron I would use it when my driver struggled but I truly believe that is only hurting your game as there are holes you should be hitting driver and there are holes that you need to keep it low and tight (driving iron or other alternative). After looking at your signature I am curious as to what your distances are with the top of your bag namely the clubs listed below. I am thinking you would benefit the most from a regular 3 wood or a 4 wood and then building your bag from there? A 13.5 stretch 3 wood is pretty difficult to hit and you should have a huge distance gap between that and your 18 degree hybrid. But so now you have a 4 iron powerspec'd but then you also have an 18 and 23 degree hybrid. I would have thought your 23 degree hybrid would almost be overlap with your PS 4 iron? Also, all of your shafts listed here are regular flex which to me says your swing speed is not where it needs to be to play a driving iron to begin with as they need some oomph to really take advantage at those lofts. Again just my opinion but have you tried a higher lofted fairway wood? For myself a 4 wood or 5 wood is much easier to hit from the tee and even the deck for me than a 13.5? I could never hit fairway woods consistently either and my miss was right. So now I play all irons and a single hybrid for some approach shots and chipping (the real reason to own a hybrid) which just allows me to have a consistent swing throughout my bag.

Wow that was a rambling post. Sorry I was just trying to help with some ideas but you will notice I am a 20+ handicapper so my opinion is not really worth much on these forums compared to some of our pros!

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB

Ping G400 13.5 3-Wood Stiff Alta CB

Titleist 818 H1 18 3-Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue

Titleist 818 H1 23 4-Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue

If you’re not a fast swinger the driving iron might not be the best club for you. A Titleist fitter told my brother this when he was getting fit for his set at their fitting center in California. He ended up with a 818 h1 hybrid and worked out for him. Everyone is different but from my reading and talking with people if your not close to 100 or over with your swing you might not generate the speed to get and keep the ball in the air

My off the tee game is a big problem too and my driving iron while great is not my fallback option. I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective in that case as you have already lost confidence in that round off the tee and I am guessing your swing is tentative at that point if you are anything like me and just frustrated. When I started using a driving iron I would use it when my driver struggled but I truly believe that is only hurting your game as there are holes you should be hitting driver and there are holes that you need to keep it low and tight (driving iron or other alternative). After looking at your signature I am curious as to what your distances are with the top of your bag namely the clubs listed below. I am thinking you would benefit the most from a regular 3 wood or a 4 wood and then building your bag from there? A 13.5 stretch 3 wood is pretty difficult to hit and you should have a huge distance gap between that and your 18 degree hybrid. But so now you have a 4 iron powerspec'd but then you also have an 18 and 23 degree hybrid. I would have thought your 23 degree hybrid would almost be overlap with your PS 4 iron? Also, all of your shafts listed here are regular flex which to me says your swing speed is not where it needs to be to play a driving iron to begin with as they need some oomph to really take advantage at those lofts. Again just my opinion but have you tried a higher lofted fairway wood? For myself a 4 wood or 5 wood is much easier to hit from the tee and even the deck for me than a 13.5? I could never hit fairway woods consistently either and my miss was right. So now I play all irons and a single hybrid for some approach shots and chipping (the real reason to own a hybrid) which just allows me to have a consistent swing throughout my bag.

Wow that was a rambling post. Sorry I was just trying to help with some ideas but you will notice I am a 20+ handicapper so my opinion is not really worth much on these forums compared to some of our pros!

You’re right in some of what you suggest here mate.

With regard to distances, there is some overlap at the top of my bag for sure, I have 16 clubs listed there too so at any one point two of those clubs are out of the bag. In summer I carry the 64* wedge, winter I don’t really need to as greens are very receptive so I can put another long club in my bag.

I don’t actually know my swingspeed, but you can probably make an estimation from the following. Certainly my turf game is exceptionally smooth, my playing partner who’s been playing for 40 years always comments on how nice my swing looks with my irons and hybrids and of course wedges, he envies that aspect of my game. However, he’s far more consistent off the tee with a beautiful draw. I can outhit him when I hit it well. And there are some days I do hit it well. I had three consecutive rounds a couple of weeks back of 78, 74 and 79. I drove well. Typically I’m more 80-85 as my driving costs me shots. I do, however, average about 9 or 10 pars or birdies per round.

At the range my driver (44.5”) ball speed is measured at between 145-155 mph, so I’m guessing my SS is around the 100 mark.

My typical carry distances, which I may add are very consistent on the whole from the deck, and what I base my shots on with no wind or slope are:

3H: 210

4H: 200

5I: 190

6I: 180

7I: 170

8I: 155

9I: 145

PW: 130

UW: 120

52: 100

58: 85

I have a very high ball flight so unless rock hard, all of the above come to a stop nicely and quickly.

You mentioned flex. I have tried stiff and feel more comfortable with regular as I swing within myself, or at least try to, my tee shots are when I don’t and that’s when it goes awry!

My view therefore is that my SS is probably ok for a driving iron in theory.

You’re right in some of what you suggest here mate.

With regard to distances, there is some overlap at the top of my bag for sure, I have 16 clubs listed there too so at any one point two of those clubs are out of the bag. In summer I carry the 64* wedge, winter I don’t really need to as greens are very receptive so I can put another long club in my bag.

I don’t actually know my swingspeed, but you can probably make an estimation from the following. Certainly my turf game is exceptionally smooth, my playing partner who’s been playing for 40 years always comments on how nice my swing looks with my irons and hybrids and of course wedges, he envies that aspect of my game. However, he’s far more consistent off the tee with a beautiful draw. I can outhit him when I hit it well. And there are some days I do hit it well. I had three consecutive rounds a couple of weeks back of 78, 74 and 79. I drove well. Typically I’m more 80-85 as my driving costs me shots. I do, however, average about 9 or 10 pars or birdies per round.

At the range my driver (44.5”) ball speed is measured at between 145-155 mph, so I’m guessing my SS is around the 100 mark.

My typical carry distances, which I may add are very consistent on the whole from the deck, and what I base my shots on with no wind or slope are:

3H: 210

4H: 200

5I: 190

6I: 180

7I: 170

8I: 155

9I: 145

PW: 130

UW: 120

52: 100

58: 85

I have a very high ball flight so unless rock hard, all of the above come to a stop nicely and quickly.

You mentioned flex. I have tried stiff and feel more comfortable with regular as I swing within myself, or at least try to, my tee shots are when I don’t and that’s when it goes awry!

My view therefore is that my SS is probably ok for a driving iron in theory.

Your yardages are almost identical to mine from 5i thru 58/60(for me). It sounds like you have issue with consistency at the top of the bag (mention driving costs you during the round). If that is the case, a 1/2 DI will not be very useful. To truly maximize the yardage you need to have a good solid strike. I would just worry you are not compressing the ball enough with that club to warrant it. My driver SS is about 105-107 average so a little higher than yours but I actually struggle more with wedges.

The more I read on this, and the comments, the more I think I’ve done the right thing in actually dispensing with the thought of a driving iron and going with a 4 Iron to match my set. As well as the obvious mental aspect of it being a G400 Iron, the physical aspect of it is meant to be a safe and consistent 200-220 yard club off the tee on many par 4s which are below 350/360y, on which I don’t need to risk a driver or a 3 wood. I mean, the difference between a 100y second shot and a 140y second shot isn’t much really, they’re both short irons with the same swing. With the added bonus of not hitting as many woods into the woods! I hope.

Maybe the title of the post was misjudged, should have read “dispensing with the driving iron thought and getting a 4 Iron”.

Whilst I’d love to be able to have an iron that I can smash 280y every time, I don’t think that’ll ever happen.

Many thanks for all your help, you’ve actually helped me realise that this was probably the right decision*.

*But it’s golf, so that is by no means guaranteed.

The more I read on this, and the comments, the more I think I’ve done the right thing in actually dispensing with the thought of a driving iron and going with a 4 Iron to match my set. As well as the obvious mental aspect of it being a G400 Iron, the physical aspect of it is meant to be a safe and consistent 200-220 yard club off the tee on many par 4s which are below 350/360y, on which I don’t need to risk a driver or a 3 wood. I mean, the difference between a 100y second shot and a 140y second shot isn’t much really, they’re both short irons with the same swing. With the added bonus of not hitting as many woods into the woods! I hope.

Maybe the title of the post was misjudged, should have read “dispensing with the driving iron thought and getting a 4 Iron”.

Whilst I’d love to be able to have an iron that I can smash 280y every time, I don’t think that’ll ever happen.

Many thanks for all your help, you’ve actually helped me realise that this was probably the right decision*.

Could not have said it better myself (comment about golf)! A lot of the fun of golf is tinkering with our bag setup! I’ve been playing for about 2 years now and have loved every minute of it! Good luck and let us know how the 4 iron works out! I would love to be shooting your scores as right now my goal is just to break 90! But I 3 putt 3-4 times a round. A lot has to do with approach shots and then just finding a putter that works for me just like the top of your bag. Man this is a great forum and a blast talk with people who actually get it. The worst response to a WRXer is don’t you already have one of those!

Only other thing I might add, I've also tried to put a DI in the bag and struggled. If you really just want it as a more forgiving longer long iron, maybe try a matching steel shaft in it vs a graphite shaft. I feel like all graphite shafts installed in DI are terrible fits and just the hollow body design should add increased length and forgiveness over a normal 4i.

I have a PXG 4i I've tried to force in the bag because it cost so much, but the UDI was more consistent for me for sure, but they'll both probably lose out to my 9031 by the end of the season.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I've also gone through the struggles with Driving irons. I have tried them all but have put in play both Ping Crossover Generations, G400 4 iron and recently was fit into the Cobra utility one length. The cobra is the first one that has had a steel shaft in it (ctaper lite) and it does wonders for me. Very consistent of the tee and from the fairway. I love it so far.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Try the new i500, it is already in pros bags as DI!

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 9,5°

GD Tour AD MT 7X Callaway GBB Epic 18°

Fuji Ventus Blue 100X TI Callaway Apex UW 21°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro

Could not have said it better myself (comment about golf)! A lot of the fun of golf is tinkering with our bag setup! I’ve been playing for about 2 years now and have loved every minute of it! Good luck and let us know how the 4 iron works out! I would love to be shooting your scores as right now my goal is just to break 90! But I 3 putt 3-4 times a round. A lot has to do with approach shots and then just finding a putter that works for me just like the top of your bag. Man this is a great forum and a blast talk with people who actually get it. The worst response to a WRXer is don’t you already have one of those!

Forgive me if you know this, but try ensuring your left eye is above the ball when putting. And don’t use your arms i.e. keep the triangle and use your torso to swing.