Skytrak

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - I don’t own a skytrak but I’ve played on one in a simulation center. My experience was not overly positive. See below for some of the reasons:

1. The ball has to be placed in a single spot before hitting it. The sensor projects a little red spot on the floor where you have to put the ball. This is annoying when you have to do it before every shot.

2. The system was really really slow. Every shot took at least 20 - 30 seconds to load and simulate. In addition, you can’t hit your next shot until the first shot is done loading. This could be the computer the center used but I don’t think so.

3. Some balls were just missed by the machine. I hit them and the machine didn’t register then at all. Even on some very well struck shots

I was considering buying skytrak but, having tried it, I will not. To note, this is just my personal experience playing on the system one time. Maybe someone who owns it has a different experience.

I've owned a Skytrak for almost a year. I absolutely love it, and it's been a huge help in improving my game. Being able to hit balls on a daily basis has been priceless. Wife, young child, and full time job make regular range trips just not feasible.

Contrary to some other's experiences, I have never seen a shot take more than 2-3 seconds to load/simulate after being struck. After a while, that slight delay is totally unnoticeable. Placing the ball on the laser spot is not a huge deal in my opinion- there is enough margin for error in the placement that being slightly off the dot doesn't make a difference.

As with any indoor simulator, the hitting mat you use will be a big determining factor in your experience. I've used a CCE mat for a while, but recently switched to using a Fiberbuilt strip (keeping the CCE as the stance mat). The CCE is extremely durable, but it is very punishing on fat shots. It's also hard on anyone that takes a deep divot. There's a plus and minus to that, but I've had one or two instances of hurting my wrist on especially poor strikes. The Fiberbuilt, in my short experience thus far, is a much more enjoyable hitting surface.

I previously owned an Optishot, and I can highly recommend avoiding that garbage like the plague. Until there are other options even in the ballpark price-wise, I think the Skytrak is the only good option for those of us with an under-5-figure budget.

Hey - I don't own a skytrak but I've played on one in a simulation center. My experience was not overly positive. See below for some of the reasons:

1. The ball has to be placed in a single spot before hitting it. The sensor projects a little red spot on the floor where you have to put the ball. This is annoying when you have to do it before every shot.

2. The system was really really slow. Every shot took at least 20 - 30 seconds to load and simulate. In addition, you can't hit your next shot until the first shot is done loading. This could be the computer the center used but I don't think so.

3. Some balls were just missed by the machine. I hit them and the machine didn't register then at all. Even on some very well struck shots

I was considering buying skytrak but, having tried it, I will not. To note, this is just my personal experience playing on the system one time. Maybe someone who owns it has a different experience.

This is bad information.

1) that's incorrect. You can place it inches around that dot and it still reads well.

2) that's also incorrect. Mine takes a few secs. Don't run the program on a potato?

3) this is correct. It happens sometimes...i'd say on average less than 1% in my experience.

I have owned one for over a year now. I can’t recommend it enough. The only time I have ever had issues with it taking more than a few seconds at the most to show the shot was when trying to run WGT on a very old iPad. One day I had a problem with it not picking up shots. I turned it off, updated the unit, and it was fine from then on. I find it to be very accurate and it makes practice very enjoyable. Yes the ball needs to be placed close to the red dot. If you don’t like that spend 10x the money and you won’t have a little dot, or the delay. Considering what it does it’s a bargain compared to the rest of the market. I have not had much luck getting mine to work with the SkyPro device. But to be honest I only tried once and was pressed for time and gave up quick. I find it accurate for all clubs driver to short wedge shots. I hit on it a lot and when on the course I have much more confidence on what club to pull from what distance. Like I said I can’t recommend it enough.

Also I have read other times people saying they thought driver distance was off. For me it’s right on. All I can think is they aren’t using a very good mat and it’s moving when they swing.

Hey - I don't own a skytrak but I've played on one in a simulation center. My experience was not overly positive. See below for some of the reasons:

2. The system was really really slow. Every shot took at least 20 - 30 seconds to load and simulate. In addition, you can't hit your next shot until the first shot is done loading. This could be the computer the center used but I don't think so.

3. Some balls were just missed by the machine. I hit them and the machine didn't register then at all. Even on some very well struck shots

This is bad information.

1) that's incorrect. You can place it inches around that dot and it still reads well.

2) that's also incorrect. Mine takes a few secs. Don't run the program on a potato?

3) this is correct. It happens sometimes...i'd say on average less than 1% in my experience.

It’s not bad information. It was my experience. My one experience with Skytrak was not good but I fully accept that others may have different experiences.

Don't know much about this product but it sounds interesting. I'd like to describe my situation, maybe with replies the original poster can be helped. Small hitting station in my basement. Nets about 6' in front of me, about 6' behind me is a wall. I can swing up to a 5 iron length because of height. Can this system work with these restrictions? Also, is this system easily moveable? During winter months I could occasionally move to the garage, or take to a friend's house. Doable?

Don't know much about this product but it sounds interesting. I'd like to describe my situation, maybe with replies the original poster can be helped. Small hitting station in my basement. Nets about 6' in front of me, about 6' behind me is a wall. I can swing up to a 5 iron length because of height. Can this system work with these restrictions? Also, is this system easily moveable? During winter months I could occasionally move to the garage, or take to a friend's house. Doable?

100%

SkyTrak is photometric, so it doesn't need multiple feet of space in front of behind the strike zone like a Doppler radar system does.

Easily moveable, as there's little setup or calibration.

I wanted to buy this for the Winter season last year and am kicking myself that I didn't. It took me 2 months to get back into my swing in the spring, which wouldn't have been necessary if I'd had the SkyTrak.

5i is great IMO. For me, most improvement I can make would be focusing on 150 yards and in, so even 8i, 9i, and wedges would work for me.

I used my buddies to see how I’m missing my driver and it gave me some good feedback. There were some missed shots there. I noticed that I needed to tee the ball up lower. When I teed the ball up the way I normally do it had a hard time reading my shots when I teed the ball up lower the SkyTrak’s reading and my ball flight were pretty much identical. For the money compared to trackman I think it’s not a bad investment. We are going to map out my golf bag and see how it does. I will update you on the results

I've owned a Skytrak for a little under a year now and it's fantastic. It's absolutely taken several strokes off of my game. Some thoughts:

- The red dot placement thing is not wonky or difficult whatsoever. Total non-issue

- The system does miss shots. In my experience the frequency is impacted by 1) Specific Club (my Baby Blades are missed frequently while it's never missed a shot with Ping) 2) Internet connection. This can be EXTREMELY infuriating and is my number 1 complaint with the system

- You should absolutely buy a high quality mat or you will destroy your elbow / shoulder because you WILL use this thing daily. Fiberbuilt is great and worth the money

- Skytrak can play tricks with your mind as you will absolutely swing differently indoors than you will outside. This will create different ball flights and cause you to question the accuracy of the machine. It happens to almost everyone

- The second biggest negative to the machine is that alignment is not precise whatsoever. People use different methods, but in my mind, you will never know if you're absolutely aligned.

That said, I love mine and would purchase again.

SIM2 Diamana PD 6x

Miura 1008 - MMT 125 TX

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

- The second biggest negative to the machine is that alignment is not precise whatsoever. People use different methods, but in my mind, you will never know if you're absolutely aligned.

Can you expand on this point? What do you mean by aligned? Having you body aligned to the target or something about Skytrack being properly aligned? Thanks!

Yeah - it's something that's not immediately obvious. Basically ask yourself - how do I know where I'm aiming? If you're on a range, you pick a point, lay down an alignment stick, align your feet, and swing. If the ball hits the target, you know you did everything right.

How do you do that into a net?

You can lay down the alignment stick, make sure you're aligned, and make a swing, but you never know with 100% accuracy where the target is because the unit could be aimed 5 degrees to the left or right and you have no way to validate.

Even if you buy a laser alignment thing (I bought a Bosch) - what do you align it to? The side of the housing would make sense, but everything is built to a tolerance, and molded plastic parts are not known for their extreme tolerances. You never really know how the camera is set in the housing or what it attaches to. Is it a bracket? If so that bracket has a tolerance as well and these tolerances start to stack and grow potential misalignment.

In practice is this a massive issue? Probably not. I bought the metal protective housing which has a channel for another alignment stick. I generally use that, along with an alignment stick at my feet. When setting up, I stand behind them to make sure they're parallel, and the results are fine for me - particularly as I spend most of my time hitting 135 yard shots or less (I have a low ceiling in my garage and I'm 6'3 with long arms so basically wedges.)

Again - overall I love mine - but obv it's not perfect.

SIM2 Diamana PD 6x

Miura 1008 - MMT 125 TX

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I own a skytrak as well and would gladly give my 2 cents. Ive really enjoyed mine and it has helped me tremendously.

I had a couple of things to work through at first when setting it up but once they were resolved I havent had any problems since.

1: It seems pretty sensitive to static discharges so if its dry where it is set up, make sure to have some type of ground available before you touch your laptop or ipad. The shocks seem to slow it down and back it up but get resolved by rebooting it.

2: If its sitting on a hard surface, the shocks from hitting balls thru the floor can cause it to move ever so slightly and misread or not read the ball. This could be what was happening in the above post.

Once I got these 2 issues figured out I havent had any problems since. Technically these issues arent even skytrak related but still something to consider before throwing the ST out of the window in rage.

I have had mine for close to two years and love it. The ability to practice when I want and to use real balls is awesome. I use the bag mapping feature from time to time and with the new wedge matrix i am able to somewhat dial in my wedges. Great device. It isnt perfect but it does the job.

In My Bag
TM SIM 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM SIM Rocket 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM SIM MAX 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

2017 TM P790 3-PW Modus 120TX
JDM Titleist Vokey Forged 50* AND 58*
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Last two days have ended my Skytrak sessions incredibly frustrated due to TONS of missed shots. Again, this seems club dependent - by my god - it somehow catches every bad shot and misses every good one.

Argh

SIM2 Diamana PD 6x

Miura 1008 - MMT 125 TX

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Last two days have ended my Skytrak sessions incredibly frustrated due to TONS of missed shots. Again, this seems club dependent - by my god - it somehow catches every bad shot and misses every good one.

Argh

Make sure there isn't anything reflective in the background behind you. Also, I've heard super white shoes or pants can cause misreads.

• 1 month later...

Took my unit to the range this morning to try and get some verification or validation. Had quite a bit of trouble picking up shots, but it also caught a bit of debris along the way (they had just mowed, I was hitting irons). That being said the dozen or so shots it did read were all pretty much spot on, I'm very happy with that.

On the downside that means my home sim problems must be something to do with "indoor swing" I suppose :(

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

This is bad information.

It's not bad information. It was my experience. My one experience with Skytrak was not good but I fully accept that others may have different experiences.

It is bad information. The 20-30 second delay would be due to the golf center having inferior PC's. That's not the Skytrak's fault. On a relatively newer iPad or iPhone, the delay is around 3 seconds. Same goes for a PC that's halfway competent. I owned a Skytrak for over a year, and now own a GC2. For the money, you can't beat a Skytrak. Very reliable ball data. Only reason I switched to the GC2 was because I ran across a deal that was too good to pass up. The GC2 does have a big advantage over the Skytrak if you're looking to take your launch monitor to the range. The Skytrak doesn't like direct sunlight. If it will be for home use only, I wouldn't hesitate.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tour AD TP 6s
Taylormade M3 15* - Tour AD IZ 7x
Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
Callaway XR Pro TC 23* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x

Maltby TS-1 5 iron - KBS Tour 120s

Srixon Z745 6-PW - KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*
Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom

Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Argh

Are you connected directly through USB or through your Wifi network? For whatever reason, wifi always worked flawlessly for me. I would get maybe 1 misread out of 100 shots, if even that. Before that I was plugged up directly to my PC with the USB and the no reads were much more common.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tour AD TP 6s
Taylormade M3 15* - Tour AD IZ 7x
Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
Callaway XR Pro TC 23* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x

Maltby TS-1 5 iron - KBS Tour 120s

Srixon Z745 6-PW - KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*
Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom

Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Thank you to the folks who have tried to help me resolve my issues on here. With regards to the questions asked:

- While my garage wall is white, it's quite a ways away from the camera, and there are no other reflective objects (my legs are tan enough at this point in the season that - even in shorts - they don't count)

- I'm connected via wifi, and while that was an issue for a while, my purchase of a Netgear Extender has solved that issue (and for ~$30 - it's HIGHLY recommended)

- Interestingly, I get way more no-reads with my satin Miura baby blades than any other club - however I still get some with my black shafted, rusty raw wedges

I've actually been using the unit less and less lately as the no-reads have become infuriating.

SIM2 Diamana PD 6x

Miura 1008 - MMT 125 TX

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Thank you to the folks who have tried to help me resolve my issues on here. With regards to the questions asked:

- While my garage wall is white, it's quite a ways away from the camera, and there are no other reflective objects (my legs are tan enough at this point in the season that - even in shorts - they don't count)

- I'm connected via wifi, and while that was an issue for a while, my purchase of a Netgear Extender has solved that issue (and for ~$30 - it's HIGHLY recommended)

- Interestingly, I get way more no-reads with my satin Miura baby blades than any other club - however I still get some with my black shafted, rusty raw wedges

I've actually been using the unit less and less lately as the no-reads have become infuriating.

how much do you want to sell it for?
Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

The white wall, even being far away from the camera can definitely effect the possibly of a misread or no read. So can white shoes, or to much light on the surface of the skytrak.