Anyone else have a swing collection?

4thand11

I feel like I have tried so many different swings over the years that I've now accumulated an entire collection. None of them has stuck... I keep drifting from one to another. One will work great for a while but then it starts going haywire and it's back to one of the oldie but goodies from my collection.

Have at different times used S&T, Slicefixer, Monte's "no turn/cast" (I know that's really a drill more than a swing, but I played some great rounds with it), Moe Norman-style, Leadbetter A-swing, and a few funky alternative swings that I'd rather not admit to using ("Heard Super Swing", Jim Venetos, etc.).

At this point, when I am warming up on the range, I tend to see which one of my collection feels best that day, and go with it.

I know this is a terrible way to play, and that I am probably destined to never progress because of it, yet I fall into the trap every time. I try committing to a new swing, and as soon as it fails me (due to operator error of course!), I go rummaging through my old collection!

Not really looking for advice (I know the obvious one - "pick a good instructor and stick with it")... just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me! I'm a tinkerer by nature, which I think is part of my problem!

I feel like I have tried so many different swings over the years that I've now accumulated an entire collection. None of them has stuck... I keep drifting from one to another. One will work great for a while but then it starts going haywire and it's back to one of the oldie but goodies from my collection.

Have at different times used S&T, Slicefixer, Monte's "no turn/cast" (I know that's really a drill more than a swing, but I played some great rounds with it), Moe Norman-style, Leadbetter A-swing, and a few funky alternative swings that I'd rather not admit to using ("Heard Super Swing", Jim Venetos, etc.).

At this point, when I am warming up on the range, I tend to see which one of my collection feels best that day, and go with it.

I know this is a terrible way to play, and that I am probably destined to never progress because of it, yet I fall into the trap every time. I try committing to a new swing, and as soon as it fails me (due to operator error of course!), I go rummaging through my old collection!

Not really looking for advice (I know the obvious one - "pick a good instructor and stick with it")... just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me! I'm a tinkerer by nature, which I think is part of my problem!

BTDT I used to keep a yellow note pad paper folded up in my wallet with my collection of swings and thoughts and tips. It finally went through the wash and bled to death. Sad part is I have seen my different swings on vid and they all look the same. But yes sometimes a subtle change works for awhile. That's part of the allure of golf, the addiction. When you hit it well you are compelled to do it again. When you hit it poorly, you are compelled to find out why and to fix it.

I have said Eureka! more times than I care to admit. I can't help it. I have an addiction.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Since getting back into golf a few years ago, I’ve developed a pretty good collection documenting my swing changes over that time. Having easy access to video my swing has been revelatory to say the least. Currently I’m swinging the best I’ve swung in my life. Unfortunately, I’m afraid to video my current swing because I’m tinkerer and I just know I’ll muck about with something that’s not broken.

Johnny Miller said once something like he starts his round as Johnny Miller and if that swing bucks he'll switch to his Trevino move, and if that one bucks he'll switch to Nicklaus or Weiskoph, and if those fail switch to someone else. Forgot exactly who all the swing models were but there were about 4 or 5 mentioned as I recall reading that way too long ago. Pretty sure Nicklaus and Trevino were in the mix.

• Like 1

Yes, I have about 4 or 5 different feels that I have to rotate through to get good results. Different ones work on different days. The good thing is -- the positives of each gradually bleed into my swing long-term, so although I have lots of peaks and valleys in my swing, the overall trend has been positive/improvement. About 1-2 handicap strokes per year for the last few.

My worst rounds aren't anywhere as near as bad and far more manageable because of this (can save my round by finding feelings that keep me in it somewhat) and my best rounds are slightly better due to the overall improvement.

I constantly change my swing feels in order to work on one part or another. However, I have noticed via video that it often looks very similar with slight variations of movements. The base of my personal swing is there, there are just different shades added.

I dont buy into the commercialized swing theory stuff though.

I have read some of the swing books written by guys trying to make a buck. I have learned that most of them are one simple idea, stretched and fluffed up extensively in order to sell entire books and videos. The simple idea often addresses the swing flaw that 95% of golfer have: the slice. David ledbetter with his focus on gripping the club across the fingers plus the hands in, club head out takeaway. This approach fixes a slice really well. Its really great in my opinion. But you dont need a whole damn book. You can get the gist in a 3 minute video.

I prefer learning the 'feels' that the best players in the world have. I like to learn about how tiger approaches working the ball left and right, and compare it to how Jack, Bubba or Ernie does it. There are some really awesome little snippets of advice from these guys out on youtube and in cheap used books. Golf channel academy videos on amazon video are really great sources of advice from great players like Jim Furyk and Paul AZ. I take these snippets and put them in the notes section of my phone and come back to them. I memorize them and use them later. Like ernie else on drawing the ball: He likes for it to feel like he's hitting a forehand in tennis. That's it! Brilliant! No book needed. Jordan spieth said he likes the face of the wedge to look at the ball in the takeaway. Lee Travino said a good way to make sure a ball goes left is to push the handle forward and regrip at address. Colin montgomry played a whole career with 3 swing thoughts, Light hands at addres, finish the backswing, swing THROUGH the ball. So good. I love those. I could go on all day. THere are patterns among the greats too. Three of the best putters in the modern game share a similar thought around putting: Stricker, Mickelson and Spieth all say they like to maintain the cup in their lead wrist/keep the lead wrist moving toward the target along with the putter head.

Driver swing, woods swing, iron swing, wedge swing, pitching swing, flop swing, sand swing, chipping swing, putting swing...

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me! I'm a tinkerer by nature, which I think is part of my problem!

I'm right there with you. Very little to add to this thread except that I keep various swing thoughts [that have worked for me along the way] on my phone; and sometimes there are "new" thoughts that I already listed previously that I had clearly gotten away from at some point, and sometimes I'll add something that completely contradicts something I've listed previously. Thing is, I've been able to get around the course with very different grips and swings and whatnot. I'm just tired of not feeling particularly comfortable with one particular "swing." Grrrr!

• 2 weeks later...

Exact same boat. Looking back through my instagram i see changes along the way. I have different feels and i usually bounce around week to week or mid round if im playing bad. I have my john rahm short bowed feel. Freddy couples pick it up outside and drop it in the slot (my current gamer) tiger swing. Bubba swing hitting dinky fades super open stance. Even tried dustins extreme bowed wrist. Jason day set up square and same tempo. They all work for a bit and my scores are the same usually.

• 2 years later...

I am the same always searching.  I tried lessons for a year and a half from an excellent teacher with very little effect.  LOL here is a list of a lot of the swings I have tried to use:

I've golfed with pretty much any grip you can think of.  Here are a few:
Vardon, Reverse overlap, Double overlap, triple overlap, strong lead weak trail, strong lead strong trail, weak lead weak trail, weak lead strong trail, The Fork grip, any combinations of the previous, cross handed, 10 finger, split grip, palm grip.

Keep your left arm straight and your head down was the first 'lesson' that I can remember.
Magic move. From the 70s I think.  Left chest down and left chest up. Screwed me up for a number of years.
Square to Square book (Dick Altman).
How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight (Ike Handy)
Five Lessons (Ben Hogan).
Lessons from TGM teacher Doug Hofer (went from an 18 to an 8 handicap with Doug's help.
Ballards 7 common demoninators.
Automatic Golf (Bob Mann)
The Inner Game of Golf (Tim Galloway)
Lesson with Joe Findley body driven swing
Golf My Way by Jack Nicklaus
Sybervision Golf
The Model Swing computerized learning program (Ralph Mann / Fred Griffin). This actually produced some good golf for a short time.
My own version of Lee Trevino's swing.
Swing the clubhead by Earnest Jones.
Understanding the Golf Swing (Manuel de la Torre)
Golf's One Motion (Ron and Arnie Frankel)
Peak Performance Golf Swing by Don Trahan.
Natural Golf
Release from the top (Peter Croker)
Graves Brothers version of Moe Norman swing
Lever Power Golf by Jack Kuykendal
The Heard Super Swing book and video
Big Grip Golf by Tom Sanders
Ideal Mechanical Advantage (Scott Hazledine)
Straight Shooting Golf (Dalton McCrary on youtube)
Real Swing Golf (Ron Sisson video download)
Simple Swing (Joe Davidson video download)
Easiest Swing in Golf  (Brian Sparks)
The Practice Manual (Adam Young)  I took a video lesson with Adam also
Jim Venetos method
Stack and Tilt
Minimalist Golf Swing (kiran Kanwar)
Golf Swing Consruction 101 (Paul Bertholy)
Golf Swing of the Future (Mindy Blake)
Medicus Swing using several medicus clubs
Whippy Tempo Master (Drills with the Whippy)
Serious and failed attempt and maintaining spine angle through the swing.
Bobby Jones Swing (How I Play Golf and Breaking 90)
Golf Tec series of lessons (Worst lesson experience ever)
Biomechanically Correct Swing (Lessons with David Balbi)
Focus Band mental training
Essentials of the Golf Swing (John Redman)
Swing the Handle (Eddie Merrins)
Mike Malska swing youtube videos
Upper core swing (Larry Rinker videos - Wright Balance)
Swing Plane Hoop Trainer
Through all of these I have used wide stances, narrow stances, closed Stances and open stances, close to the ball and far from the ball, extreme hip bend and standing nearly straight up, good posture and bad posture with everything in between.
Combine with countless magazine tips and youtube videos and my own inventions and it has been a lot of fun over the years!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes. 2 years ago I saw Lanny wadkins in a publix. I kidnapped him. About a year ago I saw ray floyd at a bar. Kidnapped him too. 7 weeks after ray floyd, i saw matt wolfe in Pgatss. I followed him out and asked him if my napkin smelled like chloroform. Easy pickings. The hardest swing to collect...Trevino. I had to boo him in the head to knock him out so I could get him in my car. Even knocked out, that guy talked the whole way back to my house. Had to put him in a sound proof plexiglas box. He's a chatter.

Pretty eclectic collection. Wanted to add John Daly but had to hold off due to recent news. Wanted to add fred couples too. But my heart couldn't stand trophying such grace and splendor...returned him.to the wild.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cousin said:

Went deep into the forums to get one that was silent for 2 years!  That is a loooong list how can you remember all that through the years!?

I think for a lot of golfers the main reason to go out and play is to try a new swing.  Trying something new is fun and exciting. 

If you were asking me how I remember my swing method attempts, I have written the list up at various times over the years so it was a matter of finding notes and files and so on and then putting the list together.  Looking through the list the order is not exactly correct and lot of them have been used many times.  LOL I also missed a number of things that I have tried over the years. 

The funny thing is that I am looking forward to getting out to play this morning with the 'new' swing I am working on!

For most, I'm willing to bet that huge swing library is more like different prefaces to the same book.

and this is coming from the guy that needs to hit a small bucket before the round to find out if he is going to be hitting a draw or fade today.

Edited by scooterhd2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Yes: Paul Wilson-Body Swing, Mike Malaska, Todd Graves-One Plane, Kirk Junge-Modified One Plane, Stack & Tilt, Jim Hardy Two-Plane, plus a little Rotary Swing and Manuel De La Torre thrown in.

What is fascinating is that more often than not when I switch from one model to the other my first few swings (perhaps as many as 8-10 of them) will go very well. Everything "clicks", I just think of the main points of the swing and it's like I never tried it before. Then things gradually deteriorate. Perhaps I figure that if a swing is working well I can get it even better by doing "more", more turning, more shifting, more wrist-cocking, whatever the swing model demands. After a while nothing works and I go on to the next swing. 

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

On 9/16/2020 at 5:34 PM, Nels55 said:

I am the same always searching.  I tried lessons for a year and a half from an excellent teacher with very little effect.  LOL here is a list of a lot of the swings I have tried to use:

I've golfed with pretty much any grip you can think of.  Here are a few:
Vardon, Reverse overlap, Double overlap, triple overlap, strong lead weak trail, strong lead strong trail, weak lead weak trail, weak lead strong trail, The Fork grip, any combinations of the previous, cross handed, 10 finger, split grip, palm grip.

Keep your left arm straight and your head down was the first 'lesson' that I can remember.
Magic move. From the 70s I think.  Left chest down and left chest up. Screwed me up for a number of years.
Square to Square book (Dick Altman).
How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight (Ike Handy)
Five Lessons (Ben Hogan).
Lessons from TGM teacher Doug Hofer (went from an 18 to an 8 handicap with Doug's help.
Ballards 7 common demoninators.
Automatic Golf (Bob Mann)
The Inner Game of Golf (Tim Galloway)
Lesson with Joe Findley body driven swing
Golf My Way by Jack Nicklaus
Sybervision Golf
The Model Swing computerized learning program (Ralph Mann / Fred Griffin). This actually produced some good golf for a short time.
My own version of Lee Trevino's swing.
Swing the clubhead by Earnest Jones.
Understanding the Golf Swing (Manuel de la Torre)
Golf's One Motion (Ron and Arnie Frankel)
Peak Performance Golf Swing by Don Trahan.
Natural Golf
Release from the top (Peter Croker)
Graves Brothers version of Moe Norman swing
Lever Power Golf by Jack Kuykendal
The Heard Super Swing book and video
Big Grip Golf by Tom Sanders
Ideal Mechanical Advantage (Scott Hazledine)
Straight Shooting Golf (Dalton McCrary on youtube)
Real Swing Golf (Ron Sisson video download)
Simple Swing (Joe Davidson video download)
Easiest Swing in Golf  (Brian Sparks)
The Practice Manual (Adam Young)  I took a video lesson with Adam also
Jim Venetos method
Stack and Tilt
Minimalist Golf Swing (kiran Kanwar)
Golf Swing Consruction 101 (Paul Bertholy)
Golf Swing of the Future (Mindy Blake)
Medicus Swing using several medicus clubs
Whippy Tempo Master (Drills with the Whippy)
Serious and failed attempt and maintaining spine angle through the swing.
Bobby Jones Swing (How I Play Golf and Breaking 90)
Golf Tec series of lessons (Worst lesson experience ever)
Biomechanically Correct Swing (Lessons with David Balbi)
Focus Band mental training
Essentials of the Golf Swing (John Redman)
Swing the Handle (Eddie Merrins)
Mike Malska swing youtube videos
Upper core swing (Larry Rinker videos - Wright Balance)
Swing Plane Hoop Trainer
Through all of these I have used wide stances, narrow stances, closed Stances and open stances, close to the ball and far from the ball, extreme hip bend and standing nearly straight up, good posture and bad posture with everything in between.
Combine with countless magazine tips and youtube videos and my own inventions and it has been a lot of fun over the years!

I don’t think “the inner game” has a single technical thought in it. Maybe bring that back to the top of the pile, it’s great stuff.

3 hours ago, hammersia said:

I don’t think “the inner game” has a single technical thought in it. Maybe bring that back to the top of the pile, it’s great stuff.

I read the book a number of times and I still use 'back hit' on my short game shots.  I really tried hard to apply the concepts to my game but that always turned out to be one of the things where the longer I worked on it the worse I got.  At some point I would be making such bad contact that I would give up and go back to swing mechanics.  LOL lots to choose from!