Make switch to PXG?

00bolt

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KBS TGI graphite iron shaft is just so good.

I didn't hate the Z5 grips as much as I expected to based on feedback here. I'll change them eventually, but probably not in a rush to do so.

Did you get the KBS TGI 70. How would you descibe ballflight? High, low? Driver SS?

Thanks!

I got KBS TGI 80. I usually have no problem hitting my irons high. They're listed as mid, I'd say mid to mid-high.

I like the responsive feel compared to my steelfiber i80s.

Not sure on driver speed (90s I'd say), but my 6 iron is about 85.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Four tops if you are in this thread talking about the price than stop trolling and go somewhere else

Sorry, did not know price is inconsequential to the discussion.

I would say price is inconsequential in the manner in which you entered it into the conversation. If you say “save $2,000 and buy i500’s” that would be apples to apples, but saying buy 2k worth of stock is not relevant in any way. (I’m going to ignore the fact the clubs are less than 1k altogether)

Nobody comes to this site for advice on their investment portfolio, I am guessing the majority want to keep it that way.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Four tops if you are in this thread talking about the price than stop trolling and go somewhere else

Sorry, did not know price is inconsequential to the discussion.

I would say price is inconsequential in the manner in which you entered it into the conversation. If you say "save $2,000 and buy i500's" that would be apples to apples, but saying buy 2k worth of stock is not relevant in any way. (I'm going to ignore the fact the clubs are less than 1k altogether)

Nobody comes to this site for advice on their investment portfolio, I am guessing the majority want to keep it that way.

It's a cost-benefit analysis that everybody goes through when considering, or justifying, larger ticket purchases for "want" vs. "need" items. My comment was based upon a cost-benefit discussion with guys at my club regarding the ever-increasing cost of some golf clubs, starting with the Cally's GBB Epic irons, then naturally into PXG's.. One guy said "at those prices one could have bought two shares of AMZN a year ago and made $2000". I didn't stand up and pound the table that he was NOT to give me "investment advice" because i understood the larger point.

I ordered mine direct over the phone gen1's on the 14th, received yesterday, the 29th. Haven't had time to really try them out yet. I have a launch monitor at my house so I'm looking forward to it. Also have a loft lie machine so I'll check out the specs and report back with any imperfections from the factory. I just couldn't resist for the price. I'm playing a mixed set of Mizuno MP18's now

So I checked them all this morning on my loft lie machine. All were within a half degree either way, not bad. I'm just going to use them as is for now and tweak as needed in a couple weeks

Just played round 4 with my set.....I hit 16 greens but I adjust per club....the wedge is entirely too flat and I believe the 5 & 8 are too upright....when hit though , these are pure!

Headed now to get checked

Back on topic...

How were they when you got them checked?

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Mine showed up today

4i - perfect

5i - perfect

6i - strong by 1.5*

7i - perfect

8i - perfect

9i - Perfect

Pw- Perfect

The 6i was a big deal because it came with a 2* gap to the 5i and a 5* to the 7i. Once it got bent to spec everything is good to go. All swingweights were within 1 point of spec but more importantly they were all the same, they all were between D1.5-D2, PW was between D3.5-D4. So luckily wasn’t D0 than D2

No divot tool or towel... bummer lol

I ordered mine direct over the phone gen1's on the 14th, received yesterday, the 29th. Haven't had time to really try them out yet. I have a launch monitor at my house so I'm looking forward to it. Also have a loft lie machine so I'll check out the specs and report back with any imperfections from the factory. I just couldn't resist for the price. I'm playing a mixed set of Mizuno MP18's now

So I checked them all this morning on my loft lie machine. All were within a half degree either way, not bad. I'm just going to use them as is for now and tweak as needed in a couple weeks

Just played round 4 with my set.....I hit 16 greens but I adjust per club....the wedge is entirely too flat and I believe the 5 & 8 are too upright....when hit though , these are pure!

Headed now to get checked

Back on topic...

How were they when you got them checked?

Unfortunately they didn't make ANY adjustments.....but even at stronger lofts , I'm comfortable with flight and distances.

I asked softstepped once and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen....lengths weren't done exactly to my request as pw is a 1/4" under 9i vs 1/2" requested.

So that came basically stock specs with no adjustment yet my fear of lower flight hasn't shown and shouldn't be an issue....

THESE ARE AMAZING IRONS! Other irons certainly can do mostly everything but to help me we elevation, be quite forgiving, feel this good with a thinnish topline is a hard package to replicate. JMHO-YMMV

You know, there has been a lot of talk about FedEx and signing for your package. You guys do know you can create a free account on Fedex.com - print out a signature sheet and leave it for the FedEx guy/girl. Takes about 14 seconds to print and sign. I've now made about 4 orders through the program and done that each time without hassle.

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x
Instagram : danieljfalcone

I ordered a 6 and 7 iron 0311 to replace the 5 and 6 iron in my current set (Miura CB57). I hit them yesterday and MAN do they feel great--and that's coming from a guy playing some Miuras.

I played the 0311 gen 1 for about a year and then have spent this year playing multiple different sets (Cally X-forged, 718 AP2, Ping i200, Mizuno MP-64) I gotta say the PXG irons are sweet, they feel amazing and they truly perform.

I immediately went home after hitting my new 6 and 7 iron and then ordered the 8-Gap to complete the set.

I did request the irons to be 1 degree strong lofted and 1 degree flat (I hope they honor the request) KBS Tour 120 S shafts.

At $175 per, I think it is a great deal and well within the realm of what people are paying for P790 and i500 (neither of which feel anywhere as good to me).

Rick Shiels liked the TM T-MB 718's better.

On this program, TMBs are almost twice as much. Especially if you do shaft upgrades.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I had a strange occurrence during my last round with the 0311Ts.

Here's the scenario:

17th hole, downhill par 3, 150 yards to a center pin, no wind, green is almost 40 yards deep.

I hit my usual 3/4 8 iron that I've hit a hundred times before to that pin, under those conditions. I normally end up pin high or just short by a few yards (if I don't pull it right and knock it in the water :)).

The ball was well struck and took off on a great line, just a few feet right of the flag. It landed on the back fringe and disappeared over the back of the green. The back edge was 169 yards from the tee.

Needless to say, I was taken aback by this 169 yard 3/4 8 iron. I went back out after I finished my round with my iBlades and hit 4 balls into 17 with the same 3/4 8 iron swing and they all came to rest in the expected spots; pin high or a few yards short.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Freak occurrence? A moment of unexpected strength? The best swing of my life? It can't be the club's fault....

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Did you hit 4 more balls with the PXG iron like you did the iblade?

No, I did not. No reason to. I had a few rounds under my belt with the PXGs when this occurred and so far distances were close to the same I got with the iBlades.

The point of the story is the surprise of an additional 19 yards. Hitting 4 more balls with the PXG will not change that occurrence, nor delete it from my memory bank. 5 yards here, 3-4 yards there in difference can be expected as I don't strike the ball exactly the same every time. But as a scratch golfer I'm a fairly good ball striker.

I want irons that produce reliable distance, not irons that may or may not produce an additional 10-20 yards more than expected at any given time - that's essentially Russian roulette with a golf club.

PXG Bat Attack H

What i was getting at was maybe you didn’t hit the ball like you thought? If you hit 4 more balls to see where the averages were like the iblades. Too many variables, like maybe it wasn’t the club. I mean if this happens every 20 swings or so, then I could see it as a hotspot or something, but one time, one swing and your already thinking the clubs are inconsistent?

I’m just saying it’s hard to make definites about 1 time in golf.

Here's the scenario:

17th hole, downhill par 3, 150 yards to a center pin, no wind, green is almost 40 yards deep.

I hit my usual 3/4 8 iron that I've hit a hundred times before to that pin, under those conditions. I normally end up pin high or just short by a few yards (if I don't pull it right and knock it in the water :)).

The ball was well struck and took off on a great line, just a few feet right of the flag. It landed on the back fringe and disappeared over the back of the green. The back edge was 169 yards from the tee.

Needless to say, I was taken aback by this 169 yard 3/4 8 iron. I went back out after I finished my round with my iBlades and hit 4 balls into 17 with the same 3/4 8 iron swing and they all came to rest in the expected spots; pin high or a few yards short.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Freak occurrence? A moment of unexpected strength? The best swing of my life? It can't be the club's fault....

I had a similar thing happen a couple of rounds ago with my Miura CB-57 8 iron, no hollow cavity or goo here!!--normally hit it 150 carry--had a perfect lie in the fairway and the shot felt so pure it went more than 160 in to a hill behind the green (thankfully if spun back) but my point is that I think we amateurs who are even decent ball strikers occasionally actually do hit a tour level shot and the feel and distance can be startling.

Distance consistency is the biggest reason the J40’s are still in the bag after all these years. I know I will be pretty much pin high anytime I make a solid swing, distances are so predictable.

I had my swingweights and lofts checked at GG and they were pretty much spot on. The lofts on some were like .50 degree off but thsts too small of a diff same with SW I had Steelfibers ans they were C9-DO about what they should be. I do think its funny that some are complaining about loft/lie being off when they doing Heroes and getting a substantial discount. Any OEM wont be exact on specs.

Just because someone is doing the Heroes program (for the record, I did not) doesn't mean they should accept a crappy build as part of getting a discount. That's a ridiculous line of thinking.

And the fact that "any" OEM won't be exact specs is another topic for discussion - but PXG prides itself on being the best. No one makes clubs they way they do, or so they say?

That should extend to their build quality, regardless of if you're buying Gen 1, Gen 2, heroes or whatever else. I am betting many people dipping their toes into PXG via discounted Gen 1s could be future customers at full price. But I expect the quality and oversight to be there. I'll have my set checked but I'm hoping the reports here of specs all over the map are outliers and not the trend.

No I get it but some of these reports that loft is off 1-2 degrees or that all are 2-3 degrees flat I have a hard time believing. I have currently 2 sets of PXG and theyre pretty spot on.

Believe it or not, I don’t care. But, I wouldn’t have spent the money having an authorized PXG club fitter to adjust my lofts and lies to where I had ordered them if they weren’t off. And I’m pretty sure the PXG authorized dealer/fitter would have acted totally surprised that the product he sells and takes pride in was WAY out of spec...unless it was. Btw the lofts and lies were checked prior to going to the pxg fitter and the clubs only had 1 round and 1 grass range session on them.

so you ordered a specific spec and they were delivered out of spec and you than spent more money to have bent to what they should been in first place, wtf.........it should have been free along with a compensation for wasting your time

Here's the scenario:

I had a similar thing happen a couple of rounds ago with my Miura CB-57 8 iron, no hollow cavity or goo here!!--normally hit it 150 carry--had a perfect lie in the fairway and the shot felt so pure it went more than 160 in to a hill behind the green (thankfully if spun back) but my point is that I think we amateurs who are even decent ball strikers occasionally actually do hit a tour level shot and the feel and distance can be startling.

I agree......there isnt many materials more consistent than steel

.....however humans are ultra inconsistent....which is why I dont put much emphasis on people's opinions....

Other day I hit a shot that made my shaft feel like a noodle whereas normally it feels fairly stout.....i just did everything right....have no idea how or why but I felt it bend in a way I never have b4.....

It's not even cuz people actually hit center it's the energy transfer to the shot itself.....i hit center many times but dont quite compress ball and result is blah.....easy to see ballmark on face if you keep your clubs clean

OP here. Had my clubs now for a week or two. Played about 4-5 rounds with them and absolutely love them in almost every way. Few minor complaints. 1. I hate the grips. They are too slick. Regripping them immediately (I like the No 1 50 pro grips). 2. These clubs are so soft. Literally after just a handful of rounds there’s a lot of little knicks and dings in the clubs.

I know I know they are clubs and get banged up. Just kinda wish they lasted longer than this.

Get an Ogio silencer bag works great against bag chatter

No, I did not. No reason to. I had a few rounds under my belt with the PXGs when this occurred and so far distances were close to the same I got with the iBlades.

The point of the story is the surprise of an additional 19 yards. Hitting 4 more balls with the PXG will not change that occurrence, nor delete it from my memory bank. 5 yards here, 3-4 yards there in difference can be expected as I don't strike the ball exactly the same every time. But as a scratch golfer I'm a fairly good ball striker.

I want irons that produce reliable distance, not irons that may or may not produce an additional 10-20 yards more than expected at any given time - that's essentially Russian roulette with a golf club.

I read Tai’s review and he noted something similar. I’m a decent striker but with my MBs now I have the opposite from time to time - catch them a groove high and watch what should have been a kick-in come up 10yds short. Always possible to catch one here or there, but will be interesting to see if that continues. Mine should be here next week..more annoyed about the cash I may to spend getting them adjusted than the possibility of a flyer ;)

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Distance issues are why I went back to my CB.501's as I was experiencing fliers with my 790s. I've made some swing adjustments and my swing is much more compact and I'm striking my irons better than ever. The 501's are consistent, but they don't go anywhere. I've recently put my buddy's 790s in the bag just to try out again, and the results have been phenomenal.

I'm thinking about going after a used 0311 set. I've always thought they played like a P790, just less clicky off the face.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I guess I've gotten lucky but my distance control and consistency have been better than expected......not sure if it's shaft, ball or what but I haven't had one shot that has gone further than planned..... I've added just a bit of distance but the feel and forgiveness along with consistency are a godsend.... great trajectory for a low ball hitter like me but still able to be knocked down.

I took the PXG out again today. I played my iBlades on the front 9 and the PXG on the back 9. They are slowly winning me over. No distance anomalies today.

They are very easy to hit, quite forgiving and feel great. The more I hit them the more I like them. More testing to come.

PXG Bat Attack H

I took the PXG out again today. I played my iBlades on the front 9 and the PXG on the back 9. They are slowly winning me over. No distance anomalies today.

They are very easy to hit, quite forgiving and feel great. The more I hit them the more I like them. More testing to come.

At times kinda wish I had gotten more Tour heads....just a little more compact in size

For those who have them, 0311X driving irons , are you finding them useful and what iron is it next to? Mine would be a 20* or so next to my 0311 4i but I could also see a 0311 3i or maybe a 0341 hybrid.....I don't have a need that often but looking for a club that's roughly 205.....although my 4i gets out there decently at times...tia