Best Driver By Cobra

swaldron

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LTD Black gets my vote. Haven't had a chance to give the F8 a try yet, but that's mostly because I'm afraid I'll end up buying it.

Titleist TSi3 / Ventus Red

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Oban Kiyoshi Purple

Srixon ZX 21* / Tensei Pro White

Titleist T100 5-P / Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50/7, 55/13, 60/6 / DG TI S400

Toulon Portland

Srixon Z Star Diamond / Vice Pro Plus

King Cobra that Greg Norman used

I second this... In 1997 Tiger averaged 323 yards off the tee with the Deep faced King Cobra driver... When taken in context, I think that was not only Cobras best driver, but one of the best drivers of all time. I had one with a steel shaft and it took the 905T to permanently knock that out of my bag.

In the grand scheme I think the F8 and F8+ are their best offerings overall as it should be. If you're best performing driver was 3 or 4 releases ago then you're doing something wrong. People will have their favorites, but from an objective standpoint I think the F8's get the nod.

I had a Fly Z+ and it was good, but I feel that the F8+ is definitely better, if I didn't think that I'd have a Fly+ in my bag instead of an F8+.

A side note, Cobra/Puma's customer service is the best I have ever dealt with and honestly they're going to be my 1st look from now on.

King LTD: best MyFly8

ZL Encore: best pre-MyFly8

Everyone seems to mention the ZL Encore over the original ZL. Why is this? They seem virtually the same, but the original has the Cobra symbol alignment marker instead of the word “cobra” (which they seem to rotate every model year). And the original comes in a sedate black and silver.

... I think it depends on personal preference for feel/sound. I was playing the Pro S and loved the performance but really disliked the sound/feel. Being old school but not against modern tech, I really loved the muted dense sound/feel of the ZL as well as the color scheme. I really did not care for the harsh and loud sound/feel of the Encore. But many modern players love that loud explosive sound/feel of the Encore.

Interesting comparison, I always thought the ZLE had a more muted feel & sound (esp. compared to BC+). I was just getting back into golf when the it came out, so I’ve never tried the original. Might have to keep an eye out for one to try.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I think I have purchased almost every Cobra driver since around 2012. My Top 3 favorites would be:

1. King LTD

2. ZL Encore

3. F8 / Fly Z (tie)

Did not like the F7 / F7+ at all.

Have a buddy that will never get rid of his Cobra Long Tom driver. I don't blame him, He absolutely crushes that thing.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

What's the difference between LTD and LTD Pro other than the loft range?

LTD Pro had "fade" aka flat lie settings, LTD had "draw" aka upright settings.

CG data showed the Pro as having an evvvveeerrr so slightly lower CG relative to the axis of the clubhead but that was just because the lower loft flattened out that axis.

Ltd pro. Probably the most ignored great driver in recent memory. 2 of our testers still play it.

Amazing driver, but for anyone like me who had to deal with the Spaceport issues it became more annoying than great.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

What's the difference between LTD and LTD Pro other than the loft range?

LTD Pro had "fade" aka flat lie settings, LTD had "draw" aka upright settings.

CG data showed the Pro as having an evvvveeerrr so slightly lower CG relative to the axis of the clubhead but that was just because the lower loft flattened out that axis.

Ltd pro. Probably the most ignored great driver in recent memory. 2 of our testers still play it.

Amazing driver, but for anyone like me who had to deal with the Spaceport issues it became more annoying than great.

MIne came flying out once. Used blue Loctite and never had an issue since. Love that driver. Absolutely love it.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

1. L4V

2. ZL

3. S9-1 pro s

To be fair I haven't played a cobra driver since the bio-cell.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

Everyone seems to mention the ZL Encore over the original ZL. Why is this? They seem virtually the same, but the original has the Cobra symbol alignment marker instead of the word “cobra” (which they seem to rotate every model year). And the original comes in a sedate black and silver.

... I think it depends on personal preference for feel/sound. I was playing the Pro S and loved the performance but really disliked the sound/feel. Being old school but not against modern tech, I really loved the muted dense sound/feel of the ZL as well as the color scheme. I really did not care for the harsh and loud sound/feel of the Encore. But many modern players love that loud explosive sound/feel of the Encore.

You sure on that? My ZLE is very muted, quieter than my LTD Black, and quieter than most guys next to me on the range.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

LTD pro!

fighting real hard not to get a spare head lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

F8+ for me - feel, forgiveness, distance...the full package at a more reasonable price than the other OEM's...with a real shaft in it as icing on the cake ;-)

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

You sure on that? My ZLE is very muted, quieter than my LTD Black, and quieter than most guys next to me on the range.

... Sure I am sure. : ) I only hit one ZLE after hitting the very muted ZL and it was much louder and had a harder feeling face. Of course that harder face could be completely related to sound so not sure of that was a perception. I was a huge Cobra driver fan at the time after playing the Pro s, ProS9.1 and ZL so it was a big disappointment for me. I did not come back to Cobra until the release of the Fly Z. Ymmv of course

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I've had the King LTD, King LTD Black, F7, F7+ and now the F8. All are great drivers, and each was a small step up from the prior one.

However, I had the paint flake issue with the F7s, and now with my special edition F8 Blue Camo, it started happening again after one month.

Did Cobra help you out with the F7 paint flaking? Having the same issue here.

Yes, Cobra replaced my F7. Except they were out of my Blue head, so they sent Silver, and I don't like that color.

I ended up selling the Silver, and went big $$$ to get the F8 Camo Blue. And then the paint started to flake off of it. I did contact Cobra, and the F8 was sent back to them today for replacement.

Not sure if I want to take a chance again though. It's a great head, no doubt about it.

So my F7 arrived this morning and off to the range I went. The 3rd or 4th ball I hit, bam, hit it high on the face and the paint chipped. I will admit it was kind of a bad shot but damn I feel like if your going to design a club that is geared toward mid-high handicaps that is a major design flaw. I was previously was playing a TM 09 burner that I played for 250+ rounds (bought used in 2012) and it has not even one scratch or sky mark on the top above the face. Needless to say I'm not stoked about the way it looks after only a bucket of balls.

Thinking I might just grind it with a light file for 1/8-1/4 of an inch around the whole top of the face then color it in with a permanent paint sharpie. Those 3 or so tiny little chips are going to spread into larger flakes over time I would think

I've had the King LTD, King LTD Black, F7, F7+ and now the F8. All are great drivers, and each was a small step up from the prior one.

However, I had the paint flake issue with the F7s, and now with my special edition F8 Blue Camo, it started happening again after one month.

Yes, Cobra replaced my F7. Except they were out of my Blue head, so they sent Silver, and I don't like that color.

I ended up selling the Silver, and went big $$$ to get the F8 Camo Blue. And then the paint started to flake off of it. I did contact Cobra, and the F8 was sent back to them today for replacement.

Not sure if I want to take a chance again though. It's a great head, no doubt about it.

So my F7 arrived this morning and off to the range I went. The 3rd or 4th ball I hit, bam, hit it high on the face and the paint chipped. I will admit it was kind of a bad shot but damn I feel like if your going to design a club that is geared toward mid-high handicaps that is a major design flaw. I was previously was playing a TM 09 burner that I played for 250+ rounds (bought used in 2012) and it has not even one scratch or sky mark on the top above the face. Needless to say I'm not stoked about the way it looks after only a bucket of balls.

Thinking I might just grind it with a light file for 1/8-1/4 of an inch around the whole top of the face then color it in with a permanent paint sharpie. Those 3 or so tiny little chips are going to spread into larger flakes over time I would think

haha

that sound like if i would buy a car and blame the manufacturer if i drive into a pole because the car was aimed towards a normal driver.

haha

that sound like if i would buy a car and blame the manufacturer if i drive into a pole because the car was aimed towards a normal driver.

Well it's been a documented problem with the F7 and Cobra has been warranting it. It's a paint issue and different than other drivers, as compared to the 2 previous year model Cobra drivers I own. Hitting high on the face is different than a skyball.

haha

Are you saying you are a below average driver?

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

King Cobra that Greg Norman used

I second this... In 1997 Tiger averaged 323 yards off the tee with the Deep faced King Cobra driver... When taken in context, I think that was not only Cobras best driver, but one of the best drivers of all time. I had one with a steel shaft and it took the 905T to permanently knock that out of my bag.

In the grand scheme I think the F8 and F8+ are their best offerings overall as it should be. If you're best performing driver was 3 or 4 releases ago then you're doing something wrong. People will have their favorites, but from an objective standpoint I think the F8's get the nod.

I had a Fly Z+ and it was good, but I feel that the F8+ is definitely better, if I didn't think that I'd have a Fly+ in my bag instead of an F8+.

A side note, Cobra/Puma's customer service is the best I have ever dealt with and honestly they're going to be my 1st look from now on.

Tiger has never averaged 323. sorry. that is just bad info. the record on tour is 321.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

OG Cobra X Speed in 7.5 was awesome for me in college :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Only cobra driver I've ever played is the LTD, but it's still firmly in the bag three years later so that should say something. I must have gotten lucky, since I've never had any spaceport issues.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"