Is there a player you wouldn't mind watching dominate?

MelloYello

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't another Tiger on tour or in college right now. Tiger blew away AJGA, high school and college players. He was dominating as a toddler and never knew any other way. He asserted himself right away at every level, there isn't anyone that has done that since. A guy isn't just going to find a game like that on tour or in college golf, you don't grow into or become that type of player, you just are. No one you named or have heard of has that in them. Players get hot and win in bunches but the sustained domination isn't present in any of the players that we already know.

Ya, the guys on tour knew somethin big was coming...

"The first time I laid eyes on Tiger Woods was in March 1994 at Bay Hill for Arnold Palmer's tournament. I was standing on the range on Wednesday afternoon, talking to Peter Jacobsen, Davis Love III and Billy Andrade. Billy pointed down the range at a skinny kid hitting balls. "You know who that is?" he said.

"You should know," Billy continued. "That's Tiger Woods. He's the Next One."

I did know the name. A phenom from California. In fact, his father, Earl, was already on IMG's payroll as a "junior talent scout."

I hadn't paid that much attention. My focus was on the players who were on the tour at that moment, and I tended to be skeptical about Next Ones. I still remember Brent Musburger comparing Jeff Lebo to Jerry West when Lebo was a freshman basketball player at North Carolina. I had seen what being the Next One in tennis had done to Jennifer Capriati, and I remember reading a Rick Reilly piece in Sports Illustrated years earlier on how Love and Fred Couples were the Next Ones in golf.

"I thought you and Fred were the Next Ones," I said to Love.

"Not like this kid," Love said.

https://www.golfdige...-feinstein-book

There isn't another Tiger on tour or in college right now. Tiger blew away AJGA, high school and college players. He was dominating as a toddler and never knew any other way. He asserted himself right away at every level, there isn't anyone that has done that since. A guy isn't just going to find a game like that on tour or in college golf, you don't grow into or become that type of player, you just are. No one you named or have heard of has that in them. Players get hot and win in bunches but the sustained domination isn't present in any of the players that we already know.

I'm not so sure. Nobody watching Tom Watson as a junior & college player could have predicted the career he would have.

I'm a big Tom Watson fan, but he wasn't dominant in his career. He had an elite career, but he didn't dominate the tour like TW and Jack did.

Nobody is as dominant as Jack or Tiger, but we can't even get to Tom Watson dominant. And he was dominant.

He won the PGA Tour money title and POY four years in a row, only Tiger's done that since.

His 6 POY overall from 1977-1984 tops even Jack's total, only Tiger is ahead of him.

7 majors in 7 years, I remain hopeful we can get someone new to 7 total in their career.

He won three PGA Tour tournaments six years in a row, only Arnold Palmer's seven tops that streak. Since 1983, only Tiger, Vijay and DJ a couple weeks ago have got that streak to three years.

Mello Yello

I cannot understand how you think Justin Thomas comes from an Elitist background just because his Father and Grand Father are both golf professionals . He still had to learn to swing the club and shoot the scores and a lot of kids who are in that position revolt and will not touch a golf club .

JT to me seems a nice young man who behaves graciously and is a good advert for the game of golf, he has worked hard to get where he has got too and good luck to him .

For me it is anyone. I love when there is an all timer that everyone is chasing. That player has the most fans and the most that hate him. It makes for great drama. It is why the Yankees prompt emotion from about every baseball fan. It is why every Tiger thread goes on for pages. It is great for the game.

I don't think that player is out there but I would love to see any of them become that and I can choose to root for or against that individual.

It brings the spice.

For me it is anyone. I love when there is an all timer that everyone is chasing. That player has the most fans and the most that hate him. It makes for great drama. It is why the Yankees prompt emotion from about every baseball fan. It is why every Tiger thread goes on for pages. It is great for the game.

I don't think that player is out there but I would love to see any of them become that and I can choose to root for or against that individual.

It brings the spice.

quote-you-know-this-team-it-all-flows-from-me-i-m-the-straw-that-stirs-the-drink-reggie-jackson-307030.jpg

Mello Yello

I cannot understand how you think Justin Thomas comes from an Elitist background just because his Father and Grand Father are both golf professionals . He still had to learn to swing the club and shoot the scores and a lot of kids who are in that position revolt and will not touch a golf club .

JT to me seems a nice young man who behaves graciously and is a good advert for the game of golf, he has worked hard to get where he has got too and good luck to him .

I did not say he came from an elitist background. That's a terrible interpretation of what I said. You're attaching the idea of being elitist. I did not say that.

What I said was that he comes from an established golfing bloodline which is 100% accurate.

To deny that growing up in that environment won't increase the probability that you'll be a player yourself is foolish. That's obviously a huge influence.

If you read my post further you'd see I defended JT saying it's not a knock on him but a commentary on why golf can so often be seen by outsiders as a "closed society."

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Spieth... he plays the most "normal" game of anybody on tour... regular golfers can relate to him...

Plus I love seeing the haters cry when he's in contention

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I’d love to see Adam Scott start knocking in putts again. The rest of his game is pure.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

Justin Thomas. Absolutely love watching him hit driver, and he’s added so much guile to his game in recent years. Great attitude and temperament too.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

"The first time I laid eyes on Tiger Woods was in March 1994 at Bay Hill for Arnold Palmer's tournament. I was standing on the range on Wednesday afternoon, talking to Peter Jacobsen, Davis Love III and Billy Andrade. Billy pointed down the range at a skinny kid hitting balls. "You know who that is?" he said.

I did know the name. A phenom from California. In fact, his father, Earl, was already on IMG's payroll as a "junior talent scout."

I hadn't paid that much attention. My focus was on the players who were on the tour at that moment, and I tended to be skeptical about Next Ones. I still remember Brent Musburger comparing Jeff Lebo to Jerry West when Lebo was a freshman basketball player at North Carolina. I had seen what being the Next One in tennis had done to Jennifer Capriati, and I remember reading a Rick Reilly piece in Sports Illustrated years earlier on how Love and Fred Couples were the Next Ones in golf.

f*** Feinstein though. In that article he makes himself sound like god himself.

Justin Thomas if he can keep his attention hog dad away for a bit.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I know only one person can dominate, but there's a few I'd love to see do a Tiger/Jack and win everything year after year:

Fleetwood - Pure ball striking, fantastic putter and a really nice guy to boot. Also clearly deserves to dominate for his choice of irons, and for being from near Liverpool and not spending his weekends singing nonsense about never walking alone :)

Knox/Laird - or any Scottish player really. I mean we invented this game, live and breathe it, but our talent pool seems to be drying up. I can cope with us being rubbish at most other sports, but can we no at least sort golf out?

Stenson - winners interviews would be so much funnier, and I like the idea of someone dominating the world with a 3 Wood.

Hideki - taking over the world after a brief pause.

Tiger (again) - now that would be a story. Possibly less dull this time round as he seems to have figured out this having a laugh thing.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't spend 2 hours a day in the gym, and mostly runs on beer and cheeseburgers / bacon sandwiches.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Somewhere in between Rory's fall down the leaderboard on Sunday, Jason Day smashing it into the galleries and Justin Thomas being slightly less fidgety than normal I started thinking about how I've become a bitter, cynic with a lot of these new players. I don’t find myself rooting for any of them.

Looking back to the heyday of Tiger, he just seemed to tick every box. He could pound the ball. His iron play was elite. His short game was impeccable. His putting was first class. He carried himself like a total pro (at least before he started cursing and club-throwing). He showed up to tournaments in form. He never made comments suggesting that his heart wasn't in it or that he was okay with losing.

By comparison, I just find it tough to "like" a lot of modern players. They just let you down. Either they are 1-dimensional players who dominate with pure power or they rely on a hot putter to win or they just don’t have a likable personality. This is what worries me. There doesn’t seem to be anyone out there who sells the game the way Tiger did. The game has to sell the current crop of players.

It's not that I hate them. It's just that I don't find there to be any particular reason to root for any of them. I like Rory when he's pounding it but his long game is runs so hot and cold. And with his balky putter, you just can’t view him as a complete player. He’s a power player that wins on soft courses. That’s it. Moreover, his statements suggest he's no longer as driven to win as he was 5 years ago. That’s a bad sign.

I find Speith to be less likable for whatever reason. Whereas Rory is honest to a fault, Jordan’s personality sure comes off as phony. Digging into his game, he's a slow player which is a capital sin. But he's also the guy who started the whole "we" thing which is another huge turn-off in competitive sports (for me). Sports is about competition. It’s not supposed to be easy. If you can't handle the pressure, just say so. Saying "we" as a means of deflecting that pressure onto "the team" is...well...kind of lame for a professional athlete IMHO. It defeats the purpose. Worse yet, it reminds you that these guys have a network of assistants helping make their life easier. The guy clearly has heart but for some reason I just kind of loathe the young Jordan Speith. I think he's also very over-marketed. Too many Golf Digest covers, I guess. He’s not a natural star to me. Seeing him marketed as such…I just don’t buy it.

Fowler seems like a very cool, down-to-earth guy which makes it a shame he can't avoid the big numbers and win more tournaments.

Rahm is petulant. He's even worse than Sergio used to be. I don’t want to see him televised, let alone having success.

Bubba is fun to watch on occasion but certainly not someone I want to hear from more than twice a year.

Thomas is obviously an unbelievable player. He has my vote for being the world’s best. I think he's the class of the tour right now. He’s a complete player with no glaring weaknesses which is great to see. It really gives you the sense he "deserves it" when he does get a win. I just wish he looked more at home in the moment. While Tiger always looked calm and collected, I feel like Thomas is probably a bundle of nerves about to throw-up. It's kind of hard to watch. What bothers me more though is how he comes from a rather "elite" golfing bloodline. He had every advantage growing up. There's a real sense that he should be achieving what he's achieving. I don't hold that against him, it's just that what he represents is kind of the very thing that makes golf appear as a "closed society" to folks on the outside. Again, nothing against Thomas. He can't choose his family. It's just easier to root for someone who's a relative underdog.

That said, I don’t want someone who’s numb. Guys like DJ and Brooks don’t strike me as being all that deep. As someone suggested, they are the modern golfer: they're long, athletic and numb enough not to pick up on the gravity of what they’re doing.

Jason Day is (I guess) the default answer to me but again, I have no real reason to like him. He’s just not doing anything to make me dislike him. He’s long. His game is good all around. There’s emotion there when he plays, but not too much. He’s demeanor makes him good to watch. And his background is definitely not what you'd think. He clearly got to where he's at through hard work.

IDK, what do you guys think?

Its pretty simple, you want to see a generational player. problem is they come once a generation. In the meantime enjoy the great golf being played by superstar future hall of famers that could and should never be compared to Jack or Tiger as its completely unfair. Decide if youre a tiger only fan or golf fan. the latter is easier because you can objectively criticize and compliment different aspects of alot of players. theyre more human because they blow 54 hole leads, miss must make 72nd hole 8 footers. not because theyre trash but simply because theyre not on the same level consistently like the 2 top dogs of the last 50 years were. You can never take the stuff you saw and the #s they produced for granted.Theyre video game #s,almost fake. these guys show flashes some for weeks months or a whole season but eventually cant maintain that level. Nothing is decided anymore.Collapses happen more often, more playoffs and so on. its all perspective.Some call it parity but its a very high level of golf.Lots of fans were spoiled during tigers prime. When YAng took him down in 2009 half my club left the clubhouse to play that sunday because they figured it was over. thats how spoiled tiger made people with 54 hole leads. now it more wide open.

I wish Brandel Chamblee just dominated for a good solid year just so we can have all the critics of him bite their tongues a bit a give him some praise. Now that would be worth watching.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Oh, and anyone who doesn't spend 2 hours a day in the gym, and mostly runs on beer and cheeseburgers / bacon sandwiches.

BEEEEEEEEEF!!!! :D

YES. Can't believe I forgot about Beef! Also him, mostly as he looks like rather than playing in The Open he should be in the West Country, making cider.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

The only reason(as a fan) to want parity in sports is because your favourite team/player wasn’t/isn’t the one doing the dominating. As a Tiger Woods and Montreal Canadiens fan, parity Sucks, I want to see someone destroy they rest of the field for years and re-write the record books. I bet NE Patriots fans aren’t asking for more parity in the NFL, Or Lebron James Fans in the NBA, they want their team/players to dominate and break records.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Jack burst on the scene in 1961

Tiger burst on the scene in 1997

The next Jack/Tiger will arrive in 2033

This is sad but true....they are more special than once in a generation players...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Spieth. 2015 -16 easily best golf I watched since prime tiger. Rory close second. But just missing the wins on tough greens. He needs soft and slow .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

f*** Feinstein though. In that article he makes himself sound like god himself.

Feinstein is a knob. A small one.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The only reason(as a fan) to want parity in sports is because your favourite team/player wasn't/isn't the one doing the dominating. As a Tiger Woods and Montreal Canadiens fan, parity Sucks, I want to see someone destroy they rest of the field for years and re-write the record books. I bet NE Patriots fans aren't asking for more parity in the NFL, Or Lebron James Fans in the NBA, they want their team/players to dominate and break records.

This echoes a point I firmly believe. Parity is not good for professional sports. It causes the casual fan to lose interest which leads to lower ratings, smaller attendance, and less equipment sales and rounds played. This shrinks the pie and as a result the sport contracts. For an already niche sport like golf any contraction is never a good thing. Folks need that dominant player to root for or against. Among pro football fans there is a visceral love or hate for the Patriots now just as there used to be for the Cowboys. In pro baseball that team that drives the fan passion is the Yankees. In the NBA it's the Warriors. In college football it's Alabama.

In golf Jordan Spieth is a polarizing figure. I have no idea why because he's pretty vanilla but whatever. The point is within our little community he drives a lot of passion and interest for and against him. Professional golf needs that kind of player writ large. Tiger has filled that role for 20 years now but contrary to the beliefs of some Wrx'ers he's not immortal. We need that next dominant guy to come along within the next 15 years or so. I don't see any pro in the current landscape who can maintain dominance.

The only reason(as a fan) to want parity in sports is because your favourite team/player wasn’t/isn’t the one doing the dominating. As a Tiger Woods and Montreal Canadiens fan, parity Sucks, I want to see someone destroy they rest of the field for years and re-write the record books. I bet NE Patriots fans aren’t asking for more parity in the NFL, Or Lebron James Fans in the NBA, they want their team/players to dominate and break records.

TW aint the Pats.

No, no.

TW 1.0 more rip out your throat like,